• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Coincidentally, Gethard adored TRoS and absolutely hates TLJ.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he's still officially on the hook for a Star Wars trilogy until we hear otherwise. He's not an idiot

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Following the success of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, many fans hoped that writer/director Rian Johnson would make a return to the galaxy far, far away sooner rather than later, instead opting to enjoy the experience of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker as a fan instead of as a filmmaker, noting that it was a special experience not only as a fan, but also as a witness to what his former collaborators had concocted.

This sentence is a grammatical disaster, wtf. Took me a bit to make sense of it

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
TLJ and TROS are both so unapologetically shit but I do at least really love Knives Out and the episodes of Breaking Bad that Rian directed. Can't say I've ever cared for JJ's output.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like TLJ but LOVED Knives Out. Rian's talents shouldn't be wasted on Star Wars imo.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
What's he gonna do, get in front of a mic an shit on fuckin Star Wars of all things?

No matter what kind of weird hate boner you might have for Rian Johnson i'm fairly sure we can all agree that he likes money.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Or maybe... he actually did enjoy the movie. Crazy, I know. Not everyone is a frothing at the mouth negative Nancy just itching to bitch and moan about something.

I loved The Last Jedi. I also really enjoyed TRoS. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. It was a fun, often ridiculous time, but fun nonetheless.

Sure, it's possible he's being diplomatic about the whole thing, but maybe he didn't want to feed into the embarrassment that Star Wars discourse has devolved into by providing a delicious soundbite that people on the internet can memefy.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I hope he genuinely had a good time. If not, whatever, plenty more movies will be made in the future to help you forget about it.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the man is one of the most wholesome and positive people in the industry.

Literally every interview he's constantly positive and humble, it seems obvious that he would give this answer regardless of whether he would get a trilogy or not.

Dude's a class act.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they literally had to shit the line "it's true from a certain point of view" to make some of it work. I don't think you really know what a retcon is.

I do know what a retcon is, for example, Dragonball Super retconned Dragonball GT and Halo Reach retconned The Fall of Reach novel's final act. The Rise of Skywalker doesn't retcon anything from The Last Jedi.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I do know what a retcon is, for example, Dragonball Super retconned Dragonball GT and Halo Reach retconned The Fall of Reach novel's final act. The Rise of Skywalker doesn't retcon anything from The Last Jedi.

"Your parents were nobodies who didn't care about you"

to

"Actually your father is the son of Emperor Palpatine and he and your mother died trying to save you"

Thats a retcon. Just because it awkwardly tries to reconcile itself with the old canon doesn't mean it's not a retcon.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
"Your parents were nobodies who didn't care about you"

to

"Actually your father is the son of Emperor Palpatine and he and your mother died trying to save you"

Thats a retcon. Just because it awkwardly tries to reconcile itself with the old canon doesn't mean it's not a retcon.
Obi Wan: your father died by Darth Vader
Vader: I'm your fathaaa

wow look at that retcon

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'd pretty much be diplomatic as well, they all work in the same industry after all, why'd he want to burn bridges?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They are not retcons as that would imply they clash with and overwrite parts of the previous films which they don't.

That's not true, honestly. Retcons can be beneficial. Even clarifying details that weren't given in an original text is still a retcon.

The problem is that people automatically view the term with a negative connotation when that's not the case.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
If the Star Wars retcons aren't retcons, then nothing is a retcon. 'Vader killed your father -> Vader is your father': textbook retcon. 'Your parents are nobody junk rats who sold you for booze money -> Your parents are Palpatines, they sold you to protect you': big ol' retcon.

The difference is that retconning Vader to be Luke's father was actually a really good idea that flipped the whole story on its head and opened up a whole new avenue of storytelling and drama, whereas Rey Palpatine... did basically the opposite :P

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was just responding to the guy, if Lucas can do it why can't JJ🤷‍♂️

If you're gonna retcon do it well. For example, at least with the Lukes father retcon you can portray it as Obi Wan lying, but here its Kyle Ren saying two completely different ass things for little to no reason and you expect them to hold the same weight?

It's bad writing and Terrio is a hack.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
If you're gonna retcon do it well. For example, at least with the Lukes father retcon you can portray it as Obi Wan lying, but here its Kyle Ren saying two completely different ass things for little to no reason and you expect them to hold the same weight?

It's bad writing and Terrio is a hack.
So Kylo can't lie? Oh how about when he lied about what happened at the temple with Luke

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the Star Wars retcons aren't retcons, then nothing is a retcon. 'Vader killed your father -> Vader is your father': textbook retcon. 'Your parents are nobody junk rats who sold you for booze money -> Your parents are Palpatines, they sold you to protect you': big ol' retcon.

The difference is that retconning Vader to be Luke's father was actually a really good idea that flipped the whole story on its head and opened up a whole new avenue of storytelling and drama, whereas Rey Palpatine... did basically the opposite :P

Exactly. Retcons aren't inherently bad, they can ne fantastic. Like Watchmen the HBO show had a ton of retcons but they opened up as you said whole new avenues of storytelling and drama.

Making Rey a Palpatine just forces you to do RotJ over again with even less set up.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Kylo can't lie? Oh how about how when he lied about what happened at the temple with Luke

Its not that he can't lie, its why the hell is he lying? What did he achieve by telling Rey she was nothing and then tell her later oopsies you're actually a Palpatine forget what I said earlier.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons that he would do that, as Terrio and JJ have given us many explanations. Its just that the reasons behind Kylo doing so are poor and lazy writing that gives way to no unique or meaningful character development.