• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
At least she would have been a real person. The CGI Rose they went for in the movie just to appeal China was a weird decision.
They'd better improve their humanoid CGI if they want China on board this time.
Does she have a sister? I dont remember. Was that the bomber in the beginning ?
Yeah, she would have been a much better fit for the story. Her speaking role was far more significant.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Really hope he gets his trilogy, him not being beholden to a " a concluding saga" ,nostalgia pandering ,and cleaning up mystery boxes is something I want to see

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Thats an incredibly smart way to frame it. People do gamify their negative presence online. It's like they're trying to win some invisible troll points.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this. What do you mean by "wasting his time"?

My point was that you can criticize and even dislike TLJ without being belittled by people here. I know because I've done it.

I agree. I've criticized TLJ without being belittled too. But I don't see how that's related to what I'm talking about.

Crossing Eden and Katten were discussing RJ's hobby comment and how they don't understand people always being so persistently negative and critical when there's better things to do with your life. And yet Crossing Eden seems to have made it a hobby to spar with people he deems stupid. He doesn't' seem to have the same take away that RJ has. He doesn't seem bored with it. On the contrary he seems fueled by it. Its odd. What's he get out of that?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I agree. I've criticized TLJ without being belittled too. But I don't see how that's related to what I'm talking about.

Crossing Eden and Katten were discussing RJ's hobby comment and how they don't understand people always being so persistently negative and critical when there's better things to do with your life. And yet Crossing Eden seems to have made it a hobby to spar with people he deems stupid. He doesn't' seem to have the same take away that RJ has. He doesn't seem bored with it. On the contrary he seems fueled by it. Its odd. What's he get out of that?
You've made it your hobby to go online everyday and defend TLJ and belittle people you deem to not "get a movie made for kids."
This is what I was originally responding to. I'm not sure why you seem to be equating extreme hate for RJ with people calling others out for not understanding basic plot points from a movie. It's really strange.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I was never a part of the seething TLJ hate train, but I also don't think the film is very good, either. Where TFA has the problem of playing it too safe and being a rehash of ANH with no real worldbuilding or new and interesting content, TLJ overcorrects and makes a middling film trying to be subversive and different, without actually saying much of note.

That said, I can't believe all these people who personally go after Rian Johnson, who try to say he's untalented, as if to forget that he directed two of the best episodes in Breaking Bad's entire run. Ozymandias is the best TV episode of anything I've ever seen.
It's funny because TLJ is God tier.
It's a highly divisive film. Myself personally, I understand people thinking it's a cool movie, but I could never fathom "God tier".

Oct 28, 2017
I was never a part of the seething TLJ hate train, but I also don't think the film is very good, either. Where TFA has the problem of playing it too safe and being a rehash of ANH with no real worldbuilding or new and interesting content, TLJ overcorrects and makes a middling film trying to be subversive and different, without actually saying much of note.

That said, I can't believe all these people who personally go after Rian Johnson, who try to say he's untalented, as if to forget that he directed two of the best episodes in Breaking Bad's entire run. Ozymandias is the best TV episode of anything I've ever seen.

It's a highly divisive film. Myself personally, I understand people thinking it's a cool movie, but I could never fathom "God tier".

I loved Last Jedi personally. Such a breath of fresh air

Which episodes of Breaking Bad he direct? I.e. what happened in em?

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for someone to explain what these deep structural problems are beyond ambiguous subjective opinions about what you want star wars to be.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I really did not like TLJ. It flat out failed at what it burns some much capital attempting to do (while also being the only chance to basically make good on the setup of TFA that has its own issues) but Rian Johnson has an incredibly healthy attitude here. I would say he's untalented AT ALL, but he's not the most flexible of talent and his style were I'll suited for the project of following up TLJ. That said, Knives Out is a treat. A bunch of rambling to say that I agree.

Still waiting for someone to explain what these deep structural problems are beyond ambiguous subjective opinions about what you want star wars to be.

We've had narrative directors on AAA properties spell these things out. If you're not willing to see it then you never will. Your premise is self defeating and impossible for you to lose by its very nature because people that want it to be better or different at all, by definition, want it to be something else.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Last Jedi personally. Such a breath of fresh air

Which episodes of Breaking Bad he direct? I.e. what happened in em?
He directed "Fly", "Fifty-One", and most notably, "Ozymandias".

Humorously enough, "Fly" is hands-down the most divisive episode in all of Breaking Bad, just like The Last Jedi is the most divisive Star Wars film in recent memory.

As for "Ozymandias"... it's the ultimate, most explosive, cathartic payoff that the entire show has been building towards.
Walt's entire world comes crashing down around him, and it's his own fault. All of his relationships are brutally severed.

Hank's death. Walt telling Jesse that he watched Jane die, before sending him off to be tortured. Flynn finally finding out the truth about his father, and turning against him accordingly. Walt stealing Holly away, before realizing that he has to return her.
It's one of the most highly regarded TV episodes of all time, and rightfully so. Even Vince Gilligan himself frequently cites it when asked about his favorite, or what he thinks the "best" episode of the show is.

Last edited:

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
Did some youtuber make a vid with this talking point recently lmao

Imagine comparing the director of Ozymandias to Zack fucking Snyder
must be 🙄

man of steel was notoriously discussed ad nauseam at the old place for years, thread after thread and the discourse was so similar - "another MoS thread" was a common frowning phrase much like TLJ threads are now, that's why I mentioned it.

I can't speak for the other poster but Zack Snyder infamously used his Batman v Superman film as a deconstruction of popular super hero mythos and iconography, with the intent on adding shades of grey and nuance to a typically black and white/good vs evil formula. If you cannot see why anyone would see the similarities in that mindset with the approach of Rian with The Last Jedi you're either being deliberately obtuse or you've overlooked some key details. The constant dismissal of this comparison as some sort of Youtube alt right gotcha is so tiresome but not at all surprising that the same posters would choose to be daft then to engage faithfully. Ozymandias is stellar but you act like Rian wrote it. let's be real my problems with TLJ aren't his framing or compositional skills (much like that's rarely the case with Zack Snyder... huh 🤔)

Last edited:

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We've had narrative directors on AAA properties spell these things out. If you're not willing to see it then you never will. Your premise is self defeating and impossible for you to lose by its very nature because people that want it to be better or different at all, by definition, want it to be something else.
Can you link me that? Or if its in the thread let me know I've only seen last few pages. I'm geniunely interested because all Last Jedi crit I've read has been dog shit

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The entire debate has been had to death, so I'll just bring up a point that I see echoed the least: the three leads, Rey, Finn, and Poe are not given enough screentime together to build a likable dynamic similar to the one that Luke, Leia, and Han had.

Rey is off training with Luke, and talking to Kylo through the Force.

Finn is off doing his own thing with Rose, a new character.

Poe's screentime largely consists of him being painted as an insubordinate to Holdo, another new character.

I don't care so much about these characters individually, let alone as a group. In TFA, one of the most reasonably liked aspects, if I'm not mistaken, were the character interactions. I know Finn is seen as too much of a comedic relief character by some, but I liked him and Poe, I liked him and Rey. Standing in stark contrast to that, we have (in TLJ) Rey and Poe, two of the three main characters, not even meeting until the end of the film. I view that as a big mistake. You can't wait until the third film to "build up the trio" when, in the original trilogy, we had an emotional investment in the camaraderie and well-being of our three leads from the very first movie. Luke, Leia, and Han had a compelling dynamic together. The same cannot be said of Rey, Finn, and Poe.

I don't even know what they're doing with Poe in particular, to be honest. I was hyped before TFA because I knew Oscar Isaac was solid, and I was looking forward to seeing him on-screen, but Poe is barely in TFA, and in TLJ, they tried their hardest to paint him as an unlikable buffoon who should've just fallen in line.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ever since Disney bought Star Wars, I have really come to learn how expectations are the death of joy. I often think that many people hated TLJ so much because of ridiculous hype and unreasonable expectations. To some degree, I am guilty of this too. I had my own expectations and fantasies as to how I thought Luke's life should play out after the OT. As with most things in life, having expectations for how things should go usually leads to disappointment.

As TROS approaches, I am going to try my best to have as little expectations as possible (as I usually try to do with any form of entertainment). I believe that doing so will lead to a more enjoyable experience. At the end of the day, I think my only goal when I watch a new Star Wars movie should be to have a fun time. Nothing will ever live up to the magical experience of watching a new Star Wars movie as I once did as a wide-eyed child anyways.

I very much admire Rian Johnson for his grace and humility. I imagine that if I had been in his shoes after TLJ's release, the extreme hatred and criticism I'd receive from complete strangers online would absolutely destroy me to the point of depression and self-loathing. That man deserves so much respect for the way in which he continues to handle these unfortunate circumstances.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
That's a far more gracious response than the toxic entitled fanboys deserve. This guy made one of the top 3 best Star Wars movies -- far better written than any of Lucas's efforts, with coherent themes and character development that build upon and improve the original material -- and the reward he gets is a deluge of irrational screeching on every social media platform.

Rian Johnson is a class act. The Star Wars fandom doesn't deserve him.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
imagine attaching your identity to a product which is inherently out of your direct control so when people (each with their own unique view about what said product means and is) change it in ways you don't agree with it tugs at your identity and maybe makes you feel not so hot. seems frustrating. seems tiring.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
As much as I disliked TLJ I think it's fucked up people antagonized him on Twitter. And besides, he's clearly a good writer and director, I can dislike one of his films but still recognize that. Good on him for learning to brush it off.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Overall structure is actually a complaint I get with The Last Jedi. It's one of my favourite movies ever, but if you want to tell me that, say, you think it's too long, for example, or you aren't a fan of the pacing, I can respect that. A long-ass movie with like four and a half acts isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. I get it.

But, of course, most of the time the 'deep structural problems' people claim turn out to be misreadings, wilful ignorance, or just the same bullet point list of plothole gotchas people have been endlessly repeating since 2017, and I regret ever engaging. "CANTO BIGHT WAS COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY", etc etc. OK, chief. Sorry I asked :P

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is just one of my criticisms, but, the whole canto bight-find the super hacker story line was an unnecessary venture added only to serve a predetermined 'failure' plot point that was imposed upon the movie by producers who wanted an esb analogue. the main characters gain nor lose anything, are barely emotionally involved and when they return empty handed the core narrative has not progressed in anyway other than some time wasted. going by the analogue to esb, in that movie a similar subplot has everyone but luke captured, they are betrayed by an old 'friend', han is tortured for nothing, flash frozen, and given to boba fett, c3po is blasted to bits, and leia is to be held captive on bespin. you get the sense that the empire can either bully or pay anybody off and there are no safe harbors while being pursued by the best bounty hunters the galaxy has to offer, they try to flee but end up right in the palm of vader's hand. plus the emotional peak of han and leia's relationship happens with that famous exchange right as han is lowered to his doom. i mean esb is so stacked with these types of moments that it feels unfair to compare the two.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
this is just one of my criticisms, but, the whole canto bight-find the super hacker story line was an unnecessary venture added only to serve a predetermined 'failure' plot point that was imposed upon the movie by producers who wanted an esb analogue. the main characters gain nor lose anything, are barely emotionally involved and when they return empty handed the core narrative has not progressed in anyway other than some time wasted. going by the analogue to esb, in that movie a similar subplot has everyone but luke captured, they are betrayed by an old 'friend', han is tortured for nothing, flash frozen, and given to boba fett, c3po is blasted to bits, and leia is to be held captive on bespin. you get the sense that the empire can either bully or pay anybody off and there are no safe harbors while being pursued by the best bounty hunters the galaxy has to offer, they try to flee but end up right in the palm of vader's hand. plus the emotional peak of han and leia's relationship happens with that famous exchange right as han is lowered to his doom. i mean esb is so stacked with these types of moments that it feels unfair to compare the two.
I think you have one of the more interesting critiques here about this aspect of TLJ, but I think using comparison of this sort to judge a story is often a slippery slope. I think it is better to try and let a film stand on its own and judge it based on its own merits rather than through the lens of other stories. Besides, if fans continue to compare new Star Wars movies to ESB (one of the best movies ever made imho) they will be forever disappointed. Nonetheless, I think the argument that the 'failure' theme was weak because it lacked emotional resonance during the Finn and Rose subplot is one of the better critiques of the film I have seen so far. Unfortunately, the argument is riddled with the slipperiness of subjectivity. Although some of the 'failure' plot points failed to land for you, this aspect of the movie definitely landed for me thanks to how much I like these characters. Yeah, this film is indeed divisive.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It really isnt. I personally rather watch a prequel rather than TLJ.
That says so much more about your taste than the quality of TLJ. The prequels are objectively poor films. It doesn't take a keen critical mind to see why. Just the eyes and ears to recognize wooden performances, awkward dialogue, and sloppy storytelling.

Dec 31, 2017
Good. I could use more of his attitude to ignore trolls. Internet discourse for SW is awful these days.

Also the last Jedi is an incredible movie. 2nd only to ESB. Because a vocal minority of internet manchildren have hate-boners for it doesn't make it any less amazing. Criticism is one thing, frothing at the mouth is another.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad he's been able to deal with it in such a mature and healthy way. It's a shame that this kind of thing has just become a normal facet of life for people with any kind of fame and connected to a toxic fanbase.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

The Last Jedi has a lot of conflicting themes that never really resolve, and the ones that do resolve are kind of a head-scratcher. I love parts of TLJ, but there are large swathes of it that feel like the movie could have used a more aggressive script editor.

I think the big one for me is what, exactly, the film is trying to say about noble sacrifice. The film starts with the bombing run succeeding, at great cost, due to the actions of a brave co-pilot. Leia, and later Holdo, chastise Poe for this. We're supposed to believe that Poe is too frivolous with his orders, and careless with his troops. Only, this already doesn't really make sense--Poe is far from a lazy armchair general, he's a respected wing commander out there risking his neck with the rest of his crew. Leia is the one sitting comfortably in a capital ship, not him.

Then the Holdo plot seems to want us to disagree with Poe for... questioning authority out of concern for everyone's safety. He's painted as the foolish one for demanding his superior tell him what, exactly, her plan is. This might have worked if the film had opened with, I dunno, the bomber copilot pleading with Poe not to make her climb downstairs to kick the bomb out, but that's not what happened. There's no dramatic irony here: we're supposed to like Holdo because she's Cool and played by Laura Dern (granted: I love Laura Dern and I DO think she's fun in this role) and that Poe needs to be put in his place.

Then Finn and Rose go gallivanting off on their own risky mission. They take a lot of personal risks to do what they think is right on Canto Bight. So far, so good. Then Holdo learns that actually, sometimes a noble sacrifice is cool to do, and does one in maybe the coolest part of the film. Then during the final battle, Finn attempts to sacrifice himself to save all of his friends, but is thwarted by Rose, who... nearly sacrifices herself to make a point to Finn about how you shouldn't make big sacrifices. Then Luke Skywalker saves the day for everyone, with a big noble sacrifice.

What is this movie trying to say about sacrifice? Is it good? Is it bad? Is questioning authority good or bad? I think a lot of people see these conflicting ideas as nuance; to me, it just feels like nothing completely coalesces.

That being said I think all the stuff with Luke and Rey and Kylo is fantastic. I think disillusioned Luke is a way better vehicle for exploring the themes of dogma and authority that the rebel plot clumsily tries to run in parallel. Also, the red room fight whips ass.

I just don't think it's a very well structured movie. My dislike (that's a strong word honestly, I would still rank it above every prequel and Solo and maybe even RotJ depending on my mood) has a lot less to do with What I Want Out Of Star Wars and more just feeling like the movie needed a bit more time in the oven.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad he's been able to deal with it in such a mature and healthy way. It's a shame that this kind of thing has just become a normal facet of life for people with any kind of fame and connected to a toxic fanbase.
I genuinely can't understand where the "Johnson can't take criticism" bs started when the dude has consistently been like this. It's like those toxic people made up a persona for the dude so they could be more indignant and feel more justified in bashing not just the films but the man himself.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I genuinely can't understand where the "Johnson can't take criticism" bs started when the dude has consistently been like this. It's like those toxic people made up a persona for the dude so they could be more indignant and feel more justified in bashing not just the films but the man himself.
It's just another hateful fantasy cooked up by recreational complainers.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no huge star wars fan, but I honestly feel like TLJ was a more interesting movie than TFA. I don't think either was particularly good, but the TFA felt like a worse version of a movie I had already seen before.

TLJ had some really silly contrivances in place of actual character growth, but outside of that it was pretty cool. I thought Luke, Leia, Rey, and Kylo Ren were all handled in interesting ways.

It feels like Poe, Rose and Finn have no actual planned arcs in this series. That's really unfortunate. The entire Casino sub plot and its aftermath was really stupid. I can't help but think that if this portion of the movie was better, It would have been much better recieved overall.

Anyway, I'm glad Johnson was able to block out the toxicity masked as criticism. That sort of shit can be very damaging to the mentally of a creative.

Last edited:

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think all this TLJ bickering helps the movie more, because everyone involved will rewatch it and come to appreciate what it was trying to accomplish. Like what happened with me.

So keep it up Rian, use the trolls to elevate your works.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
That says so much more about your taste than the quality of TLJ. The prequels are objectively poor films. It doesn't take a keen critical mind to see why. Just the eyes and ears to recognize wooden performances, awkward dialogue, and sloppy storytelling.

When I see these "the prequels are better than TLJ" posts I genuinely do question how these people can handwave away the awkward dialogue, stilted performances, awful effects and convoluted storytelling as a mere matter of taste. It's baffling.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hej is totally right. These people are just looking for a reaction from you. Don't give it to them and most of them will move on at some point to another target.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason why last Jedi was as controversial as it was. IMO, a lot of the story choices really subverted fan expectations, but they were not acceptable or satisfying to a lot of fans.