• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I love discussing movies. Recently started going to the cinema a whole lot more with an ex colleague of mine, and the discussions afterwards can be almost as enjoyable as the movie, because we just fucking love the medium and have a rather similar love for superheroes and scifi schlock. Also recently discovered that the B-movie action market is having a great period, and there is SO much enjoyable shit to find there.

There is so much fun stuff coming out these years to enjoy. Or hate, for that matter, but that part just doesn't seem worth spending excessive time on.
Exactly. Like, no one is getting any younger, why waste time hate watching shit or constantly complaining about everything you watch no matter the majority opinion. There are so many films where I say "Ok that was a good film but it wasn't for me." and so many people seem incapable of that and worse, spend weeks, months, and even years trying to tear things down. As it's said in the OP, that's essentially become their really lame hobby.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The TLJ stuff is really quite boring at this point, though I really like those quotes of his about toxic internet culture. They appear to be pretty spot on.

And the movie is absolutely going to outlive what it should in pop culture. Not even because of the movie itself, but because people who dislike it have allowed that movie to become the standard bearer for everything they hate about the modern Star Wars saga. The spastic temper tantrums that the banal and committed detractors have *every*single*time*this*movie*is*mentioned* (see the guy earlier in this thread) have had the exact opposite effect that they wanted-- any time the movie is mentioned it's built in to people to reflexively either ignore detractors or push back. So I mean, good job I guess being such an obnoxious lot of trolls that you've forever cemented TLJ as a pillar of modern internet culture.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy because i've literally seen people here unironically say that this moment was an attack on fans who had their expectations subverted and were angry by this point in the film. That's how delusional and toxic it gets.

It really is nuts. That said, I do think that moment is a nod at fandom in the sense that you probably already had SW fans speculating in their heads about what the red crystals on that planet were and that Resistance dude just deflates it all by noting it's the most mundane possible substance. Bonus points for the other soldier watching him lick it being Gareth Edwards, director of Rogue One.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Much as I dislike TLJ (I didn't need a Star Wars film about hope when the good guys always win), Rian is the only one that can make the Revan Trilogy canon. And I'll watch TLJ a thousand times to make that real.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is spot on. Hating on TLJ is definitely some posters hobby here. Some people are really dedicated to it too. It goes both ways but someone that actually enjoys it has reason to continue on the subject.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Dude basically owns Star Wars now thanks to his work on TLJ. The next trilogy is his.

I don't think that's happening any more.

That was until BANG Showbiz asked Johnson whether he had any plans to return to the Star Wars franchise, which provoked him to respond, "We'll see. I am still talking to Lucasfilm and they are figuring out what they are doing. We'll see what happens. I'll be thrilled if it happens. I am working on my own stuff, too."

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
First off, he directed ozymandias? Wow!

Second, I love the tlj and cannot comprehend people's hate for it :( Way better than the force awakens.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't think that's happening any more.

That was until BANG Showbiz asked Johnson whether he had any plans to return to the Star Wars franchise, which provoked him to respond, "We'll see. I am still talking to Lucasfilm and they are figuring out what they are doing. We'll see what happens. I'll be thrilled if it happens. I am working on my own stuff, too."

You're spreading nonsense. That is a 2-month-old article that has been clarified since.

It is still happening. He is working on it.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For someone who directed a Star Wars film he sure loves to mention how much the negative comments don't affect him. He needs to let it go already.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope he doesn't end up making his Star Wars trilogy.

Not because I dislike The Last Jedi, but because Knives Out proves definitively that he is too good a filmmaker to be wasted on fucking Star Wars.

Oct 25, 2017

Not because I dislike The Last Jedi, but because Knives Out proves definitively that he is too good a filmmaker to be wasted on fucking Star Wars.
I get this sentiment and frankly the massive shitheads in this fandom does not deserve someone of his high caliber working on Star Wars.

I personally am still hyped for his trilogy.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
For someone who directed a Star Wars film he sure loves to mention how much the negative comments don't affect him. He needs to let it go already.
We're talking about someone who literally gets harassed on the daily for making a SW film that a minority of people didn't like and who made it their mission to let everyone know that whenever someone even says the words "the last"

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
First off, he directed ozymandias? Wow!

Second, I love the tlj and cannot comprehend people's hate for it :( Way better than the force awakens.

It's ok, it's all subjective. I really didn't like TLJ, and can't comprehend why people love it so much. I also can't comprehend why people get so aggressive when it comes to this movie. Movie's done, it exists. We can discuss it and talk about how shitty or great it is, but it's sad that it always devolves into people calling each other out over bullshit and everyone puffing their chest to show how right they are.

We'll see how his trilogy turns out, it could be very different from TLJ. So people who loved TLJ might really don't like the new trilogy movies ... AND VICE VERSA! Great concept.

But we agree on Ozymandias, what a great episode! The episode with the Fly too.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017

Or maybe, he can make a trilogy that elevates Star Wars above your "fucking" status.

If his trilogy happens, we can always hope he starts it out and then changes to writing/producing, or goes into a Spielberg like one for you one for me schedule, so he can still have his passion projects in between.

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best in the entire franchise.
giphy.gif

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
It's ok, it's all subjective. I really didn't like TLJ, and can't comprehend why people love it so much. I also can't comprehend why people get so aggressive when it comes to this movie. Movie's done, it exists. We can discuss it and talk about how shitty or great it is, but it's sad that it always devolves into people calling each other out over bullshit and everyone puffing their chest to show how right they are.

We'll see how his trilogy turns out, it could be very different from TLJ. So people who loved TLJ might really don't like the new trilogy movies ... AND VICE VERSA! Great concept.

But we agree on Ozymandias, what a great episode! The episode with the Fly too.

I think that's it. You hit it. People on both sides are highly aggressive about it. I'm just sitting there like I had a good time?

But a lot of the arguments just boil down to some shit, on both sides.

I know movies can be divisive, I was bored to death during Joker but damn that movie made some money.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That scene is awesome.

It's more hilarious than awesome if watch it back and actually pay attention to the choreography. There are so many glaring, and I do mean glaring flaws in that scene. Weapons disappear, enemies that just stand around and do nothing. Don't get me wrong, I think the way the scene was filmed, the set itself, the lighting, the special effects all looked fantastic, but the choreography is really really bad if you give it any degree of scrutiny.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Mod Edit: Removed problematic content
Most of that was cinema sins level of nitpicking.

It's more hilarious than awesome if watch it back and actually pay attention to the choreography. There are so many glaring, and I do mean glaring flaws in that scene. Weapons disappear, enemies that just stand around and do nothing. Don't get me wrong, I think the way the scene was filmed, the set itself, the lighting, the special effects all looked fantastic, but the choreography is really really bad if you give it any degree of scrutiny.
Na, it's great.

Last edited by a moderator:

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Rian talked about people who made harassing him a hobby, but this is one of those enterprising individuals who have monetized it and made it a career. Jesus are you posting this ironically? Also based on his Twitter he pals around with alt right figures soooooo yuck mate.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
Yeah objectively from a fight standpoint it's terrible but from a thematic standpoint it's good

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I love how there's no middle ground when it comes to the discourse surrounding TLJ. It's either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. That must be frustrating for a filmmaker who would like to engage with people who have fair and insightful things to say.

I wouldn't say I loved it, but I liked it well enough it might be the best SW film I saw.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Absolutely. It was beautifully shot and showed us how powerful Luke is without even being there.

But yes, I know, we didn't get to see elderly Luke flip around like CG Yoda in the prequels so it sucks.

If he's so powerful, why does he die right after? It makes zero sense. I mean, it's not like he was nine hundred years old like yoda was when he died.

And Luke was full of life and positivity in the old films. Why does he suddenly become a hermit living by himself being all sullen and emo?

Just terrible writing.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, look! A YouTube video criticizing The Last Jedi!

I'm sure you checked the channel itself to see if it's questionable, right?

BCB5wRL.png
Most of that was cinema sins level of nitpicking.

Na, it's great.
Rian talked about people who made harassing him a hobby, but this is one of those enterprising individuals who have monetized it and made it a career. Jesus are you posting this ironically? Also based on his Twitter he pals around with alt right figures soooooo yuck mate.
And let me post the a video from the same guy where he dismisses modern day Nazis

I can see what you're saying now. I didn't see any of his other videos.
I do think guards heads should've come off though.

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ broke the fandom and the internet, the discourse around that movie is a nightmare.
Rian Johnson seems like a cool dude and I hope he gets his trilogy.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
If he's so powerful, why does he die right after? It makes zero sense. I mean, it's not like he was nine hundred years old like yoda was when he died.

And Luke was full of life and positivity in the old films. Why does he suddenly become a hermit living by himself being all sullen and emo?

Just terrible writing.
This is either trolling or a display of a complete inability for critical thought.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If he's so powerful, why does he die right after? It makes zero sense.

How does it make "zero sense?" You realize this is a space fantasy right? So that there is no real life example of a man astral projecting himself across the galaxy?

The fact that he was able to do it at all shows how powerful he is.

The fact that he dies right after is because he is a 70-year-old man.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Just terrible writing.
You cannot be this bad at following a very simple movie.