• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
giphy.gif
Lmao

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Ohhhhhhh my god

For the love of god I didn't make this up. I'm sorry it pisses you off that passing as white is a privilege.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5780940

Im sorry but passing off as white doesn't give you white privilege. I been told im white enough for a lot of things, but im white enough until im not. Telling someone they are white enough seriously makes a disconnect for them and how they see themselves in their community. Do you know how it feels to know you will never truly fit in any community because you are just not enough for some people?

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
I still dislike TLJ but I'm willing to give Johnson a chance. And I still think blockbuster Star Wars is not his forte despite the beautiful cinematography in TLJ (which is the only good thing I can think of atm). There was a lot of stuff that could have been done better such as Poe and Finn's sequences but its whatever.

the insinuations that tons of posters on this extremely liberal forum are actually racists / misogynists in disguise because they dont like a movie is really weird.

The blatant insults in general being launched towards those who did not liked what was done with TLJ are childish as fuck. This thread was embarrassing to read.

Last edited:

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm light skinned but I have never, once, passed off as white. Again, thank you sir woke for letting me know that I'm just not brown enough for you.

Hey Trump, just give me that citizenship already bro, SugarNoodles over here knows all about my white privilege.
Then stop making this about you. This is about Oscar Isaac changing his Latino surname to something that sounded white so he could get more roles (look it up) and get cast as white folk singers or "Bud Cooper" or "Michael Perry" or fucking Prince John In Robin Hood.

Claiming that he doesn't benefit from white privilege is disingenuous as hell.

Which brings us back around to the fact that Poe's character is ABSOLUTELY relevant to white privilege in the context of TLJ.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
My earlier post stands, still looking forward to seeing him make his own movies to mess with even if I didn't like TLJ.

Glad I didn't prematurely dance on the grave laid out for MovieBros lol

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it really isn't. Did you look at reddit and Twitter after it released?

Dude, you're basically saying you saw a certain group of people behave in a certain way one time and now everyone who behaves that way must belong to that certain group of people, and that certain group of people must always behave that way. You're full of shit and you need to stop.

Do you also attribute certain types of people to being more prone to crime because you have your suspicions?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I came here for the crow of the early pages of this thread.

Why can't Rian stop winning?!

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the insinuations that tons of posters on this extremely liberal forum are actually racists / misogynists in disguise because they dont like a movie is really weird.

It is impossible to talk about Last Jedi. Twitter trolls have completely won in making all talk of this movie toxic as fuck. The trolls are dicks because they are trolls. The fans are dicks because of the trolls. Then the people who simply didn't like the movie are dicks because they are tired of being lumped in with the anti-SJW crowd. Burn all Last Jedi talk to the ground. Trolls won.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Then stop making this about you. This is about Oscar Isaac changing his Latino surname to something that sounded white so he could get more roles (look it up) and get cast as white folk singers or "Bud Cooper" or "Michael Perry" or fucking Prince John In Robin Hood.

Which brings us back around to the fact that Poe's character is ABSOLUTELY relevant to white privilege in the context of TLJ.
Yeah, how dare I, a Latino, talk about issues dealing with Latinos.

And you said his character benefited from white privilege. The first Latino character in Star Wars benefited from white privilege. Okay.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think TLJ was a really bad Star Wars movie and I would have been relieved somewhat if this were true, but I do wish Rian Johnson luck with his own trilogy. At least he won't be working with decades of expectations to subvert and he'll have to come up with an entirely new story of his own that will surely be precious to him, so hopefully he'll attempt to actually take care of it.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Watch Superbros act like "we were just making a point about how gullible people are."

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017

There's a connotation to "white privilege" as an instrinisc advantage from birth. Many light-skinned Latinos don't feel that way as they come from families and areas that often identify as non-white or marginalized. I understand saying he benefits from "white privilege" because he can pass as white, but that seems more based in colorism than what people typically mean when they say someone has "white privilege".

Also, I'd argue Poe's character is based around masculinity itself rather than "white male privilege".

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
There's a connotation to "white privilege" as an instrinisc advantage from birth. Many light-skinned Latinos don't feel that way as they come from families and areas that often identify as non-white or marginalized. I understand saying he benefits from "white privilege" because he can pass as white, but that seems more based in colorism than what people typically mean when they say someone has "white privilege".

Also, I'd argue Poe's character is based around masculinity itself rather than "white male privilege".
I dont think it would be reasonable to say that characters depicted as men of color in Hollywood media get afforded the same lenience as someone like Poe.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Jesus, now anyone who dislikes TLJ is a Republican. The logic is strong with this one.

I nor anyone else has said that. What I said is that the insinuation a person might have suspect motives (along with conservative ideals) when trying to knock down TLJ does not come from nowhere. Reddit and Twitter was absolutely fucking rife with people being intellectually dishonest about the film, only to find under scrutiny they just hated that it had an asian love interest, or that a woman is the main character, or plenty of other blatantly bigoted reasons. "Not my Luke" and "SJW trash" became almost synonymous with each other.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

So?

He wasn't pretending to be white but was rather differentiating himself so that casting agents and directors didn't pigeonhole him.

I found an article where he expanded on that answer:

https://oscar-isaac.com/oscar-isaac...last-name-oscar-hernandez-is-like-john-smith/

It wasn't so much Hollywood that I thinking about. This was before I even went to Juilliard, when I was an actor in Miami. Oscar Hernandez is like John Smith down there… so I wanted to differentiate myself.
Casting directors, especially when you're starting out, there's not a lot of imagination yet, so they kind of just pigeonhole you as one thing and I was hoping they'd see me for other roles, not just "The Gangster" or whatever.

He has never rejected or denied his ethnicity. At worst he was being pragmatic.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well this thread was certainly a rollercoaster of emotions for some people XD

I'm glad he's still onboard, I really want to see what he comes up with.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Lol at anyone who doesn't want more Rian Johnson Star Wars. Dude breathed the first breath of fresh air into the franchise.

Yup. Poe being Latino is even better for this point because machismo is still a hell of a thing in out culture.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear it's still happening. I really enjoyed TLJ, and I would love to see what he comes up with telling his own story.

Status
Not open for further replies.