• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it was set up in TLJ, so yeah. Doesn't mean it had to go the route it did (or even happen at all) in TROS.

FinnPoe when, tho?

Edit: I also want to note that romances in fiction can be between bad people, for the wrong reasons, toxic, etc, as long as the writer knows that and portrays it as such. I think in this case, Rian knew that and shut the door on it in the end in many ways. JJ either didn't recognize that, or just wanted a kiss between the two because they did have good chemistry (and the fandom that was out in full force). 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The entire concept of Reylo is terrible, but Rian Johnson would have most likely executed it better than Abrams did.

He did

That is what TLJ was the exploration and then rejection it.

There was a romance in the air, then it ended.

Door literally closed

Then JJ reopened like a hack

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Friendship ended with RJ

Not like this man...
Nothing displays healthy romantic pining and internal conflict in a sci-fi setting more than one partner trying to kill the other.
I mean I can think of cases where that'd be hot, ngl

Just, not, like, this one. -_-

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funny how some people are calling JJ Abrams a hack, but ignore Rian's disastrous take on Finn.

Rian is a hack as well with how he handled Finn character and the biggest reason why TLJ was a terrible movie to me.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Writing and ethics aside, Driver and Ridley had real good chemistry. If I'm being honest, significantly more than previous actors in romantic couples in the other trilogies. In my opinion, at least.

Everyone in the main cast had tons of chemistry with everyone else.

Of the main four, you could pair ANY of them based on chemistry alone.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
again, them having a "romantic" relation, doesnt mean they get in fucking love.

they had a romantic relationship on TLJ, and Kylo rejected her, doesnt mean the romantic relationship didn't exist.

stop equalizing "romantic" with being in love and having kids or some shit.
I thought Rey rejected him, he was like "I'm the only one who gets how fucked up you are, join me and fuck everyone" And she left him in the ruins of Snoke's ship.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible, just like the entire sequel trilogy. It would be like Rian's basically saying it's a shame he didn't have the opportunity to take another dump after flushing.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
As much as I loved The Last Jedi, I absolutely hate the idea of Rey and Kylo's abusive relationship leading to romance.

Not that there wasn't obvious seeds of romance throughout TLJ with their scenes, only that the message it sent was gross as fuck, and I loved that Rey seemingly figuratively and literally closed the door on that idea at the end of that film.

I know Star Wars has a penchant for handwaving the past atrocities of its tragic (and NAZI)villains for the sake of REDEMPTION, but Ben Solo and Kylo Ren are one and the same, and Kylo is an abusive sociopath. Sure, he embraces Ben Solo again, but it doesn't erase the terrible things he did to Rey and her friends.

Toxic, unhealthy relationships are not cool, even in a galaxy far far away.

I love Kylo Ren, don't get me wrong. Driver fucking crushed it as the character, but in no way should he end up with Rey, our awesome heroine that millions of little girls and boys admire, respect, and want to be like.

I just find the Reylo shit really disturbing, especially having seen loved ones go through verbally, mentally, emotionally, and physically abusive relationships. Kylo was an abuser. Who also tried to murder her friends. How romantic 🙄🙄

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
How is this news though?

it wasn't TFA that introduced the idea of sexual tension between them, it was entirely and heavy TLJ.

TFA was Finn, TLJ did the Kylo pivot.
ROS got the Disney push to deliver on tumblr's demand since the fan service was way way stronger with Kylo than Finn which never took off in communities

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Tbh I well never understand why people were so surprised at this development. You can see romantic tention between the two all the way back in TFA. Rey and Kylo starting something is, if anything, the most well set up thing in the sequel trilogy.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Not trying to hear anything from Mr Rian "I'm going to throw away, by far, the most interesting backstory of any character in the Star Wars series so I can relegate the former black male lead to clown status. Also, black man with white female lead? Preposterous." Johnson

During black history month too tsk tsk

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
why would a good person and Jedi want to whisper sweet nothings to an evil wannabe sith guy exactly? Cause he has the wide ground?

The romantic relationship should have been with Finn. The way the last 2 sequels ended up pisses me off so much.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
How is this news though?

it wasn't TFA that introduced the idea of sexual tension between them, it was entirely and heavy TLJ.

TFA was Finn, TLJ did the Kylo pivot.
ROS got the Disney push to deliver on tumblr's demand since the fan service was way way stronger with Kylo than Finn which never took off in communities

There was no sexual tension between Finn and Rey in TFA.
There was between Finn and Poe though

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to understand what this score is tracking

Does Era have a monolithic opinion that Reylo is noncanon and that this makes it canon? Or is Era of mind that Rian was anti-Reylo?

Like I'd love to know what invites a comment like this
4y7ii7.jpg

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
Kylo Ren is not a compelling character and I never understood Rian's obsession with him. Reylo is the embodiment of "he was a boy, she was a girl can I make it anymore obvious."

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
When she first reaches Luke's island, she tells Chewie to raise the Resistance and then very softly, as if embarrassed, asks him to also ask about Finn.

REY: Still can't reach the Resistance? Keep at it. If you get through, check their status. And ask about Finn.

When she finally leaves the island to confront Kylo, she tells Chewie to tell Finn...something. We don't get to hear what it is, again playing into "oh, maybe she does have feelings for him."

REY: If you see Finn before I do, tell him... Yeah, perfect. Tell him that.

And then the films ends with her hugging Finn and closing the door on Kylo.

FelineCelebratedKob-size_restricted.gif

The elements are there and essentially TLJ setup possible love triangles for both leads. Finn with Rose and Rey with Kylo.

I agree that Rey/Finn was slowly being built up over the course of both TFA and TLJ. I don't disagree that Rey/Kylo was teased either. As I said in my other post, the sexual tension was definitely there, but it also seemed to be very implicit that Rey wasn't having anything to do with the murderous space Nazi by the end of TLJ.

But we both know why Rey/Finn didn't happen. People still get really, really uncomfortable at the notion of a Black man romantically involved with a white woman. It's been engrained in this country's collective subconscious for generations.

Id like to think post RoS, Rey and Finn got together after finally getting some breathing room to explore their obvious chemistry and connection. Finn Skywalker is gonna be canon, people. And their kids are gonna be badass Force users. The future of Star Wars is mixed babies, bitches!

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Kylo killed Han, who Rey looked up to and saw the murder happen and still wants to be in a relationship with Kylo. What the hell is that? The kiss was one of the dumbest things of the sequels.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Side note Apparently hardly anyone can picture a woman without a man in this thread.

Rey's real final relationship was no one.

Ultimately Rey tried to seduce Ren back to the Light Side, Ren tried to seduce Rey to the Dark Side, neither succeeded, TLJ literally paved the way for Ren, by closing the door on redemption and killing off Snoke, to be the ultimate antagonist to be defeated and killed by the heroes in IX.

JJ then went psyche and brought back Palpy and thus we got a lame kiss and a lame redemption.

Nothing in the OP suggestions Rian planned for them to be OTP

Last edited:

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finn should have been with Poe. Rey and them should all have been friends. Done.
you don't need a relationship to happen. But after the romance in TLJ a lot of People sadly expected it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Finn should have been with Poe. Rey and them should all have been friends. Done.
you don't need a relationship to happen. But after the romance in TLJ a lot of People sadly expected it.

TLJ literally ends the flirtation... like Rey rejects Ren entirely severs the connection.

I don't see how anyone could expect the romance going forward, it's one of the main reasons it is so bad in TROS

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLJ literally ends the flirtation... like Rey rejects Ren entirely severs the connection.

I don't see how anyone could expect the romance going forward, it's one of the main reasons it is so bad in TROS

I mean the implication then is that Rey is romantically interested, she's just not into the offer he makes of ruling the galaxy under some Empire, but she does have feelings for him that were romantic.

So if that's the case, don't think there's an "off" switch for that.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the implication then is that Rey is romantically interested, she's just not into the offer he makes of ruling the galaxy under some Empire, but she does have feelings for him that were romantic.

So if that's the case, don't think there's an "off" switch for that.

Yeah they literally had a mind connection through the force

and there absolutely is an off switch for how you feel about someone

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just feels more and more like this whole trilogy, while better acted and better in several production respects from the prequels, really didn't need to happen. The Skywalker Saga ended and came full circle at the end of Return of the Jedi, there really was no compelling reason for more movies to continue that story arc.

They got overly too cute/fancy with too many things (Luke has turned his back to go run off to an island, the OT cast are basically all failures who get no single scene together again, the main character is a walking mystery box which consumes most of the story for no great reason, etc.).

I think rather than what we got I would've just been happier with a more straight forward ST that wasn't so hellbent on deconstructing/reconstructing the OT mythos. Just gimme some adventure with the old cast and integrate the new characters into that with a passing of the torch.

All the other stuff this trilogy attempted more or less didn't work.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friendship ended with Rian Johnson.

Now Zack Snyder is my best friend.

ResetEra 2021. Maybe. Possibly.

Dec 12, 2017
I'm surprised that people are shocked by this. They basically force fucked in that Hut on Luke's island. All their interactions reeked of teenage romanticism, but Rey literally closes the door on Kylo after he goes down his irredeemable path at the end of TLJ.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
No Rian, YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!

To be honest though, I did get this vibe from some of their interactions in TLJ, though I chose to ignore it because Reylo is stupid.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
No Rian! Why? WHY!? Still love TLJ though, nobody taking that away from me

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kylo kills billions, is responsible for the deaths of Han, Luke and Leia and directly tortured Rey.

... and she still falls for him.

Very empowering