• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Thought that would be more advanced than that, with movie specific settings for each smart TV somehow. I don't know how.

Then again, unlike videogames that still require individual tweaks, the same calibration settings should be ideal for every movie.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why don't tvs just come properly colour calibrated in the first place? I've never understood why they need picture settings options? Shouldn't the ly be calibrated to have accurate colour representation right from the factory?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I get irrationally pissed off when people I know claim they like motion smoothing more than cinema mode.
I went to an acquaintance's house (read: husband of my wife's friend) and he'd recently bought some stupidly expensive 65" Samsung LED set. His kids were watching a 2D cartoon on it, and the TV was adding garbage frames on all the moving characters. It looked like the whole cartoon was experiencing network lag, as well as being sharpened so harshly that literally every straight line had a ring highlight around it. I mentioned to him that he should probably turn some of these processing settings off, and he had no idea what I was on about.

I sent him a link to the Tom Cruise / Chris McQuarrie video about it later that evening. Went round a few weeks later and it all looked exactly the same.

I don't want to be THAT guy who changes people's TV settings when they're in the toilet, but I'm tempted to try it in this case. It's just maddening when I have a really modest TV (I spent about £750 on a mid-range 55" LED with adequate HDR performance, because my budget was tight) and other people spend thousands and end up with an objectively worse picture.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I've stuck with neutral colour temperature on my current TV. I know it's too blue to look totally natural, but the two predefined warm settings are far too yellow for the ambient light in the room, and the menu doesn't give me granular control between the settings.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought my dad a new led TV. Set it up correctly. A week later we has turned everything on in regards to motion and sharpening plus a zoom that just fucking zoomes all content. He doesn't like black bars and stuff.

I die a little bit inside whenever I see that TV working :'(

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I went to an acquaintance's house (read: husband of my wife's friend) and he'd recently bought some stupidly expensive 65" Samsung LED set. His kids were watching a 2D cartoon on it, and the TV was adding garbage frames on all the moving characters. It looked like the whole cartoon was experiencing network lag, as well as being sharpened so harshly that literally every straight line had a ring highlight around it. I mentioned to him that he should probably turn some of these processing settings off, and he had no idea what I was on about.

I sent him a link to the Tom Cruise / Chris McQuarrie video about it later that evening. Went round a few weeks later and it all looked exactly the same.

I don't want to be THAT guy who changes people's TV settings when they're in the toilet, but I'm tempted to try it in this case. It's just maddening when I have a really modest TV (I spent about £750 on a mid-range 55" LED with adequate HDR performance, because my budget was tight) and other people spend thousands and end up with an objectively worse picture.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I've stuck with neutral colour temperature on my current TV. I know it's too blue to look totally natural, but the two predefined warm settings are far too yellow for the ambient light in the room, and the menu doesn't give me granular control between the settings.

Yeah my TV has a "movie" setting that just makes everything look like a really jaundiced David Fincher movie.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Normally I would love this, but pretty much every "professionally" calibrated set I've seen uses the disgusting "warm" color temperature. Neutral or nothing! My whites should not be yellow damnit!

If ur whites are looking yellow that's more about the TVs shortcomings. And the most important thing is contrast and to get that 3d effect, and for that you need the darkest blacks as possible....sacrificing whites is worth it because they are not as important for a good picture. If the color is too cool and bright then the blacks look more grey and ultimately more flat.

OLED displays and plasmas have contrast ratios great enough that you can have the deep blacks and white whites. But when u calibrate most TVs though, it's always a balancing act.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think not. I'll continue to calibrate my own settings.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's a really cool bit of news. Just would love to see this as a standard setting. But with manufacturers putting a lot of marketing money into stuff like motion smoothing it probably won't.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Changing Scorsese to Rian Johnson for the title...
Lk50XZK.gif

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

What's kinda funny about this video is how all these directors go on about "IF YOU WANT TO WATCH MUH MOVIES THE WAY I INTENDED THEM TO BE SEEN..."

Meanwhile every time a new master of your movie comes along it has entirely different color timing from the previous one.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Drive by trolling
Sorry Rian, but filmmaker mode will not save The Last Jedi from going down in history as the worst Star Wars movie of all time, including The Phantom Menace.

Sounds neat though. I'm on board.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People here talking about cinema mode.. For all my Sony tvs over the years, all it goes is makes it darker and brownish.. How can you guys use it? It makes it look like 90s theatre experience, not modern dlp or other tech that makes theatre experience an HD experience with rich bright colours. I am guessing this is from a different era that they never updated (the cinema mode)

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
People here talking about cinema mode.. For all my Sony tvs over the years, all it goes is makes it darker and brownish.. How can you guys use it? It makes it look like 90s theatre experience, not modern dlp or other tech that makes theatre experience an HD experience with rich bright colours. I am guessing this is from a different era that they never updated (the cinema mode)
You probably have your default settings set too bright and saturated colours. Cinema mode is usually one of the most accurate out of the box modes.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't tvs just come properly colour calibrated in the first place? I've never understood why they need picture settings options? Shouldn't the ly be calibrated to have accurate colour representation right from the factory?
I answered this in more detail on the second page of this thread, but the short answer is it would add to the cost. Modern TVs already come with preset modes (usually labeled ISF, Technicolor, THX, Cinema, Movie, or Professional) that, while not as accurate as a proper calibration, aren't that bad either. This new "filmmaker mode" is probably not going to change that, but instead just make it easier to switch to one of those better presets, while disabling all of the superfluous "enhancements" that make the picture worse.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Eh....I don't like the picture in Cinema mode as it is, it's a cool idea for people into true vision stuff, and I would try it once or thrice, but I'll probably switch back to my overly bright and saturated hdr setting and just enjoy it more.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I thought that the entire point of THX certified stuff was... well, this.
Yes, but TV come with wacky picture modes active by default, and many people don't bother to change.

I hope this Filmmaker mode will actively switch TV into proper and accurate viewing mode, it's not enough to just offer quick remote control button or OS shortcut to it. They should go in hard with built-in metadata for auto switching of TV into filmmaker mode, and maybe even offering per-movie specific tweaks if the film colorist aims for something wacky.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wel
Yes, but TV come with wacky picture modes active by default, and many people don't bother to change.

I hope this Filmmaker mode will actively switch TV into proper and accurate viewing mode, it's not enough to just offer quick remote control button or OS shortcut to it. They should go in hard with built-in metadata for auto switching of TV into filmmaker mode, and maybe even offering per-movie specific tweaks if the film colorist aims for something wacky.
well that's just colour grading but I agree that it should prompt the user if a setting is flagged and available.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Normally I would love this, but pretty much every "professionally" calibrated set I've seen uses the disgusting "warm" color temperature. Neutral or nothing! My whites should not be yellow damnit!

A lot of people says that until they get accustomed to warm and then notice how awful and bad for your eyes neutral always was.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this gets patched into my LG B6. I have it calibrated to where I like it, but I'd be really curious to see the settings they push. They'd almost certainly make the picture warmer than I have it. Most settings recommend a suuuuuper warm picture, where as I prefer neutral, or even a smidge on the cooler side.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Christopher Nolan can also work on improving audio? Since all his recent movies clip audio into distortion.

Thanks Chris.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people think cinema mode looks dull with wrong colours, I'm so glad I don't have to watch your super bright, neon coloured TV that you think looks better.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"There's been growing concern in the production community that with the many settings available on consumer TVs, the filmmaker's creative decisions that are made during production and post are not always what is displayed. This new "Filmmaker Mode" for supported TV models is aimed at giving viewers a consistent, cinematic representation of images as the filmmakers intended, in terms of color, contrast, aspect ratio and frame rates.

As part of the specification development process, the UHDA sought input from more than 400 filmmakers, including 140 directors and cinematographers. The Alliance also reached out to the Directors Guild, American Society of Cinematographers, American Cinema Editors, DGA and Martin Scorsese's The Film Foundation.

Rian Johnson, director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi and upcoming Knives Out, was on hand for the announcement and explained the Mode with an analogy for sci-fi fans. "Your Skynet is motion smoothing. … Luckily our John Connor has arrived."

Johnson noted that home theater technology is currently in a "Golden Age," but warned that "many TVs ship with motion smoothing (and other post-processing settings) as a default."

He noted that Filmmaker Mode offers "a single button that lines up the settings so it works for the benefit of the movie and not against it." He got a laugh as he added, "If you love movies, Filmmaker Mode will make your movies not look like poo poo."

Praise be. So sick of motion smoothing.

I'm fine with this as long as it's optional. I don't like the idea of being forced by a bit on a Blu ray or HDMI stream to watch settings that may not comport with the lighting in my room and frankly, while it makes me violently ill to even think about, an old person should be allowed to watch everything with motion smoothing on torch mode if that's what they like.

Frankly I've spent at least a couple of hours of my life secretly changing people's TV settings while they weren't looking and peeling the HDMI sticker off the bezel of their two year old TV, but hypocritically, I don't want creators forcing intent with no local context.

Imagine if a saucepan automatically decided how much salt to put in your chili based on a chef's opinion?

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Most likely this mode will only work well if your room is lit like a cinema as well, meaning it will simply be too dark under normal household viewing conditions. I like the idea of it in general though.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as long as this is a option not on by default I'm cool with it. More casual options are always get. As long as it's an option and not a default, which is how we got into this mess in the first place.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Most likely this mode will only work well if your room is lit like a cinema as well, meaning it will simply be too dark under normal household viewing conditions. I like the idea of it in general though.
That's what the backlight option is for. Doesn't mess with the calibration settings.

Also, I'm aghast at how many of the folks here aren't calibrating their TVs at least close to spec. Things will look so much better; it's worth it on every TV. I guess people just can't get used to the new presentation. Always give it a few days before deciding. And as always, your eyes are liars when it comes to this kinda stuff and easily deceived. (Which is why pros use an actual computer controlled eyeball for these procedures.)

At the very least, turn off literally all post-processing and turn the sharpness all the way down to 0 (or neutral) depending on the set.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That's what the backlight option is for. Doesn't mess with the calibration settings.

Also, I'm aghast at how many of the folks here aren't calibrating their TVs at least close to spec. Things will look so much better; it's worth it on every TV. I guess people just can't get used to the new presentation. Always give it a few days before deciding. And as always, your eyes are liars when it comes to this kinda stuff and easily deceived. (Which is why pros use an actual computer controlled eyeball for these procedures.)

At the very least, turn off literally all post-processing and turn the sharpness all the way down to 0 (or neutral) depending on the set.

I used to go through that with my old CRT tubes and CRT rear projections. I am still on my 1080p Plasma. I agree that calibration makes a huge difference.

I forgot about the backlight options. Yes, comparing a calibration to some punchy vivid mode is a bad way to set your display.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I used to go through that with my old CRT tubes and CRT rear projections. I am still on my 1080p Plasma. I agree that calibration makes a huge difference.

I forgot about the backlight options. Yes, comparing a calibration to some punchy vivid mode is a bad way to set your display.
Man, a friend of mine has a 50" Panny 1080p plasma. from years ago. I calibrated it for him recently and it is a real joy to view. I can always tell if it's a plasma in the wild by their signature faint flicker. I'm always surprised when they still work.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Man, a friend of mine has a 50" Panny 1080p plasma. from years ago. I calibrated it for him recently and it is a real joy to view. I can always tell if it's a plasma in the wild by their signature faint flicker. I'm always surprised when they still work.

Oh yes I love my Panasonic (from 2011!) and the deep blacks, the colors are still fairly rich. It isn't able to get eye-burning bright like a 4k display. It does however pump out a lot of heat.