• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

"There's been growing concern in the production community that with the many settings available on consumer TVs, the filmmaker's creative decisions that are made during production and post are not always what is displayed. This new "Filmmaker Mode" for supported TV models is aimed at giving viewers a consistent, cinematic representation of images as the filmmakers intended, in terms of color, contrast, aspect ratio and frame rates.

As part of the specification development process, the UHDA sought input from more than 400 filmmakers, including 140 directors and cinematographers. The Alliance also reached out to the Directors Guild, American Society of Cinematographers, American Cinema Editors, DGA and Martin Scorsese's The Film Foundation.

Rian Johnson, director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi and upcoming Knives Out, was on hand for the announcement and explained the Mode with an analogy for sci-fi fans. "Your Skynet is motion smoothing. … Luckily our John Connor has arrived."

Johnson noted that home theater technology is currently in a "Golden Age," but warned that "many TVs ship with motion smoothing (and other post-processing settings) as a default."

He noted that Filmmaker Mode offers "a single button that lines up the settings so it works for the benefit of the movie and not against it." He got a laugh as he added, "If you love movies, Filmmaker Mode will make your movies not look like poo poo."

Praise be. So sick of motion smoothing.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
that's pretty awesome for the average consumer. although cinema mode is essentially the same thing

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So a property calibrated tv would essentially be this? I'm a little confused about what this actually is.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0xhcBt8.gif

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Instinctively I have extreme reservations about anything that assumes it knows better than me what I want.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
So a property calibrated tv would essentially be this? I'm a little confused about what this actually is.
Sounds like it'll be a preset that will make calibration easier for the average person who doesn't want to fiddle with their settings.

Instinctively I have extreme reservations about anything that assumes it knows better than me what I want.

Doesn't sound like this will take that option away from you - it'll just make a more movie-friendly calibration setting more accessible to those who don't know how to do it themselves.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Won't help the average consumer who doesn't fiddle with any of the settings to begin with out of the box, but it's a nice add nonetheless.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rian Johnson subverting your default TV calibrations

I'm sorry, this is very good thing.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, something to keep an eye when I look at getting a new TV. Do we know when they'll start having this option?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it'll be a preset that will make calibration easier for the average person who doesn't want to fiddle with their settings.
its just a setting that abides by standards so the AVERAGE person who doesnt know how to calibrate can just choose it and get a picture closer to the intended vision of a film maker.
You know, I've wonder why this isn't something that's there already for all TVs.

It spent literally months calibrating my Vision TV since all the default settings were god awful. No where near what is intended.

Then another TV we have had the same issue, with that one I spent a few days fucking around with it, but never got it to be perfect. I don't get why this is something that's barely happening.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Sounds good, as long as it's an on/off toggle thing. I don't want to have to go back in a readjust my settings after I'm done watching a movie.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's an option you don't have to commit to.

I know, I know, it's just... sometimes even great filmmakers make utterly brain-dead decisions when it comes to AV settings (see the color grading fuckery in home video releases of The Matrix or The Fellowship of the Ring). I'll evaluate the final product when I can see it with my own two eyes.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Thats actually pretty clever if its custom calibrations for specific movies

pxleyes

Oct 25, 2017
Finally. This has been long overdue. I hope there is decent detection that allows it to come on automatically. The general public has literally no idea what it is doing and would be perfectly happy with being told their TV is showing them a better picture.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
To me, motion smoothing is equivalent to, I guess, mods in a game. Not something that should utilized on the first run (or watch, in this case) but a cool extra that may add to the experience after the fact.

Folks acting like it's a sin against filmmaking are taking it a bit too far, but at the same time, I can relate with the directors not wanting folks' first time with their films to be compromised.

aka I have motion smoothing enabled in MPC-HC and it's fine

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Rumor has it that Nolan is working on a "filmmaker mode" for audio receivers that just blows out your center channel so you don't have to worry about dialogue anymore

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
If people can't turn on cinema mode or figure out how to switch off frame interpolation, I'm having a hard time believing another picture mode will make a difference.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing this mainly just turns motion smoothing off so not really for anyone on this forum, more for the general public that doesn't know any better.