• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 15, 2017
I'm barely getting started, and I'm already so glad I finally knocked out the Mistborn trilogy a few weeks ago. Curious to see what becomes of my guy Kaladin, he's going through it smh
The epigraphs in Part 2 are actually from Sazed about other shards

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
Welp read the prologue to Rhythm of War only to discover Dawnshard has been out for awhile, I just didn't get my e-download email. Decided to be patient and read Dawnshard first but man this thread isn't making it easy. Hoping to get through it this week and really focus on Rhythm during Thanksgiving.

Dec 15, 2017
Wit and Jasnah are now probably my favorite pairing in the Cosmere

"Harsher". Every time Jasnah said it I felt like cheering

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think part of the reason why Jasnah's focus book isn't until the back 5 is that she knows a bunch of stuff, because clearly Sanderson cuts away when Hoid is going to tell her the juicy stuff. Renarin's part of the back 5 too because I imagine he knows a lot of what is going on due to his ability to see the future.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think part of the reason why Jasnah's focus book isn't until the back 5 is that she knows a bunch of stuff, because clearly Sanderson cuts away when Hoid is going to tell her the juicy stuff. Renarin's part of the back 5 too because I imagine he knows a lot of what is going on due to his ability to see the future.
Renarin's bond also has a lot of implications for the wider cosmology, I feel. It's worth noting that even though the prohibition against seeing the future came about because Odium, none of the Singers, Fused, or other Spren seem to have any
Finished it a little earlier, some scattered thoughts...

I really do feel like we'll need a sitdown and explain the entire Cosmere chapter(s) in upcoming books. I enjoy the Investiture system and how it all works in a similar fashion, but the different off-shoots for each world (Stormlight, Voidlight, Anti Light, etc for the other series methods of Investiture) makes my eyes go crooked sometimes.

I appreciate that Mraize mentions that Stormlight is special because it is literally clean, renewable energy lol. Thaidakar remains a loose thread though I'm still on board with it being Kelsier in some way.

I liked that we finally got some good Wit/Hoid stuff. Probably one of my favorite characters; The story about the dog and the dragon was a nice touch.

Shallan's story sorta... wrapped up rather quickly, I feel like. The whole thing with Formless was resolved a little too cleanly for my taste--and I know we haven't seen the last of it--but I felt like there was a lot of build up for very little release.

Maya is the GOAT. I liked Adolin in this book and I'm really glad he didn't go Radiant. I like him having a bond with Maya that's actually built up over time and isn't a Nahel Bond.

A seon being mentioned got me hype. Elantris is my fave.

After 4 books, I'm sorta over Kaladin getting his deus ex machina at the exact moment it's needed the most. Even if this one was a literal Henshin lmao. It's always exciting, but each book feels like he's getting a soft reset so he can build back up to a new Ideal. I feel like the Fourth Ideal wasn't earned in this one especially since he was consistently failing the Third Ideal. I even think that the Fourth Ideal and the Third Ideal are a little contradictory at times and I wish/hope Sanderson starts leaning into the fact that the higher Ideals should be very hard to maintain.

Where the fuck was Lopen god dammit. I love that bastard.

Overall I feel like Kaladin's chapters leaned a little too hard on the mental illness angle; It was kinda hamfisted and awkward at times. It just felt kinda felt like a juvenile understanding of depression and PTSD.

Navani fuckin' rules.
Yeah, that's going to have to happen soon. There's so much accumulated information that I can't help but feel is going to be extremely important, and so many slightly contradictory sources on it - there has to be a bit where they straighten it all out.

Mraize's conversation is really confusing to me when contrasted against Vasher/Zahel's. The whole struggle Mraize describes - about moving Connected investiture from world to world - is apparently one Zahel just sorta... got over. He's a solid mass of the stuff. Dude was a (tiny) god. Nightblood is... whatever the fuck Nightblood is, but definitely a lot of power. But he made it through, and so did Vivenna/Azure. The fact that nobody apparently pulled him aside and was like "yo explain this Azure stuff" in the 8 months between Oathbringer and Rhythms is wild to me. Already got mentioned that Thaidakar is almost certainly Kelsier.

Shallan not having enough wrapup is sort of indicitive of the whole book not having enough wrapup. We're still getting introduced to huge new plot elements like Ishar somehow pulling spren into the physical realm and Taravangian becoming fucking Odium when normally we'd be mostly in the cooldown phase. Really felt like the page count was pressing in, which is wild considering how long the damn thing was.

Maya is great and the court scene was incredible but I do think they're on their way to a Nahel bond eventually.

Seon was cool. Another example of bringing Invested beings between worlds in a way that is supposedly really hard or impossible. Maybe seons are just too small for it to be a problem.

Ehhhh. I will admit, I basically called the events of the back 3/4 of the book the moment the plan to invade the tower got proposed - Die Hard Urithiru featuring Kaladin Stormblessed culminating in him taking his next big step forward and going all glowy. But setting aside that I wasn't expecting that to take place over most of the book, I think it's still a reasonably effective measure. It helps that I really do like the way Kaladin's issues are handled, much moreso than the first couple books. It feels more... nuanced, serious. Even if the stuff about how we used to have no idea how to treat people was really on the nose, I felt... I dunno, it all struck a chord. I will say, I do think you're wrong about the Third or Fourth Ideals. Kaladin spends most of the book vacillating on the 4th, not really regressing on the Third - nobody is asking for his protection and he denies it because of dislike or anything of the kind. He's sort of figured out that there's people he cannot save, but he doesn't really accept it until the very end.

And yes, Navani does rule. Unlike Lopen, whose schtick has long since gotten old, for me.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
While the first half of Part 2 is somewhat of a drag, HOO boy does it finish out with a bang. I loved it.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I just finished as well. I think this was my favorite Cosmere book so far, if only because the character moments were better (and more evenly spread among the cast) than they have ever been.
This was the first book in which I felt connected to the singer viewpoints on a more substantial level than just plot. I loved the focus on Navani, and though I wasn't initially sure if I wanted more Urithiru, the bottle episode format just worked for me. I feel emotionally renewed, which is remarkable after a 1200 page book. Brandon is still somehow coming into his powers as a writer, and I am terrified/eager to see what he comes up with next.

And, on Taravangian: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Still just thinking through some things.

I am glad that you all caught the Kelsier reference, because I somehow missed the 'Lord of Scars' line. I had thought that that scene was referring to Autonomy or Trell, since Mraize explained that he had only seen an avatar of Thaidakar. It is obviously Kelsier though.

I am guessing that the Biochromatic Breath system is invested in a way that doesn't Connect people to Nalthis. Since everyone on Nalthis has at least one Breath, I would think that everyone from that world would be trapped in the Cognitive Realm unless either 1) only drabs can travel or 2) the Connection of Breath is unique.

I wonder if the Urithiru kid who wanted to be a Windrunner will be a POV in books 6-10, or if he was just there to connect to Kaladin's vision about Tien. (And on that vision, which I assume dipped into the Spiritual Realm: I loved when Teft's voice joined Tien at the end.) I am also thinking that a young Listener may be a POV in 6-10, since Brandon went to the trouble of explaining that a singer ages to adulthood in just ten years.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also thoughts on my new favorite character relationship.

While Wit/Hoid becoming a Lightweaver is ideal for him from a power perspective, since he can't hurt people, him bonding with a Cryptic is the absolute worst pairing for him. Design is so literal and I love the interactions between the two when Hoid is trying to tell Kaladin a story. I hope this bond is still a thing when Hoid presumedly becomes a bigger spotlight character as the Cosmere nears a conclusion (I think Sanderson said he'd be a PoV character in like, Mistborn era 4?) because if anyone knows how to leave a system despite being heavily Invested and 'stuck' there, like it's implied those with bonds are, it's Hoid.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Navani was a delight, yeah. Very different than the other perspectives in themes and focus, I felt.

Question for others who've finished:

Did we ever get a firm answer on how Mraize knew about the corrupted gloryspren lie? Pattern admitted to talking to *Wit* with the box, and we know that Shallan herself was the "agent" inside the Lightweavers who killed Ialai (or, well, Radiant killed her, but Shallan was going to) , but I don't know if we got confirmation that she'd also contacted Mraize off page.

Man,i wish we'd have gotten more wrapup on the Shadesmar storylines.

Full book spoilers

Yes. In one conversation with Jasnah, Wit said that he caught one of the Sleepless cremlings in his trunk and he guesses that particular Sleepless is aligned with Ghostbloods. Pattern said he used the cube to talk with Wit and I think he said he mentioned sprens, so we can assume the Sleepless heard everything and told Mraize.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Full book spoilers

Yes. In one conversation with Jasnah, Wit said that he caught one of the Sleepless cremlings in his trunk and he guesses that particular Sleepless is aligned with Ghostbloods. Pattern said he used the cube to talk with Wit and I think he said he mentioned sprens, so we can assume the Sleepless heard everything and told Mraize.
RIGHT. I'd never put the two together - that's very clever. I will say, the portrayal of what all goes into subterfuge was much better in this one than in most of the priors.

For example, I had been wondering how Taravangian would manipulate Jasnah and Dalinar into leaving Urithiru when he's no longer in a position to betray their trust (which was the only thing we'd really seen people DO in these books - either sneaking or pretending to be trustworthy - and then he flips it around by presenting a threat in a way that would demand a response by pitching in with the Emul offensive, thus weaponizing their distrust of him. Using an opponent's justified caution of you to manipulate them is actually great stuff.

Though TBH Dalinar almost always accompanies large numbers of Radiants and Jasnah was planning on going anyway, now that I think about it, but it was very clever regardless.

Anyway, logically speaking, Shallan would probably not know about Hoid being spied on unless he told her and Pattern at some point, which I don't think we saw, but I'll take it.

Also thoughts on my new favorite character relationship.

While Wit/Hoid becoming a Lightweaver is ideal for him from a power perspective, since he can't hurt people, him bonding with a Cryptic is the absolute worst pairing for him. Design is so literal and I love the interactions between the two when Hoid is trying to tell Kaladin a story. I hope this bond is still a thing when Hoid presumedly becomes a bigger spotlight character as the Cosmere nears a conclusion (I think Sanderson said he'd be a PoV character in like, Mistborn era 4?) because if anyone knows how to leave a system despite being heavily Invested and 'stuck' there, like it's implied those with bonds are, it's Hoid.
Yeah, this was a delight. It's hilarious, because if he'd gotten Pattern he would have had a near-perfect audience member, but he got Design instead, who's just a perfect foil.

God, Taravangian's going to fuck that up too, isn't he? Fuck that man.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How are you people already finished with a 1,200 page book after three days?
Whenever Sanderson releases a stormlight book I take off work and just read for like 12 hours+ a day lol.

edit: An upside is that I'm reading so fast I forget half of it and then the re-read is much more rewarding down the line.

Still just thinking through some things.

I am glad that you all caught the Kelsier reference, because I somehow missed the 'Lord of Scars' line. I had thought that that scene was referring to Autonomy or Trell, since Mraize explained that he had only seen an avatar of Thaidakar. It is obviously Kelsier though.

I am guessing that the Biochromatic Breath system is invested in a way that doesn't Connect people to Nalthis. Since everyone on Nalthis has at least one Breath, I would think that everyone from that world would be trapped in the Cognitive Realm unless either 1) only drabs can travel or 2) the Connection of Breath is unique.

I wonder if the Urithiru kid who wanted to be a Windrunner will be a POV in books 6-10, or if he was just there to connect to Kaladin's vision about Tien. (And on that vision, which I assume dipped into the Spiritual Realm: I loved when Teft's voice joined Tien at the end.) I am also thinking that a young Listener may be a POV in 6-10, since Brandon went to the trouble of explaining that a singer ages to adulthood in just ten years.

Dont take my word for it but I believe there is a WoB that confirms your thoughts re: breaths

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Just finished.

Well.

The end of Mistborn Era 2 just became a HELL of a lot more important.

It's Kelsier. Lord of Scars who Hoid slapped around? It's Kelsier.

Adolin/Maya relationship is probably my favorite thing in the cosmere. It was so damn satisfying when she finally spoke up.

Rlain! My dude! Fuck yeah! Finally given the bond you've deserved for a while now. Also, I fucking loved the Dabbid PoVs. What a sweet guy. I hope a spren picks him up.

Most of the wider cosmere plot stuff eludes me so I just wanted to talk about the characters for a bit.

Last edited:

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
RIGHT. I'd never put the two together - that's very clever. I will say, the portrayal of what all goes into subterfuge was much better in this one than in most of the priors.

For example, I had been wondering how Taravangian would manipulate Jasnah and Dalinar into leaving Urithiru when he's no longer in a position to betray their trust (which was the only thing we'd really seen people DO in these books - either sneaking or pretending to be trustworthy - and then he flips it around by presenting a threat in a way that would demand a response by pitching in with the Emul offensive, thus weaponizing their distrust of him. Using an opponent's justified caution of you to manipulate them is actually great stuff.

Though TBH Dalinar almost always accompanies large numbers of Radiants and Jasnah was planning on going anyway, now that I think about it, but it was very clever regardless.

Anyway, logically speaking, Shallan would probably not know about Hoid being spied on unless he told her and Pattern at some point, which I don't think we saw, but I'll take it.

Yeah, this was a delight. It's hilarious, because if he'd gotten Pattern he would have had a near-perfect audience member, but he got Design instead, who's just a perfect foil.

God, Taravangian's going to fuck that up too, isn't he? Fuck that man.

I think all that happened at the end was
Taravangian ended up erasing Hoid's memory of realizing that Rayse was dead? It seemed like Design had just gone off with the corrupted spren already which is why Hoid was wondering why they weren't there any more. Who knows though, but that was a great way to show how much more of a big bad Odium just became, actually mess with Hoid.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think all that happened at the end was
Taravangian ended up erasing Hoid's memory of realizing that Rayse was dead? It seemed like Design had just gone off with the corrupted spren already which is why Hoid was wondering why they weren't there any more. Who knows though, but that was a great way to show how much more of a big bad Odium just became, actually mess with Hoid.
Yeah, that's all that happened... this time. Hoid is still storing much or all of his memories in his Breaths - and has no idea that the new Odium is aware of, capable of, and interested in messing with them. I really, really doubt that this is the last time he messes with them. While Taravangian doesn't have Rayse's personal history with Hoid, I wouldn't be shocked if he ended of screwing him over and manipulating him into breaking his oaths or something anyway.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's all that happened... this time. Hoid is still storing much or all of his memories in his Breaths - and has no idea that the new Odium is aware of, capable of, and interested in messing with them. I really, really doubt that this is the last time he messes with them. While Taravangian doesn't have Rayse's personal history with Hoid, I wouldn't be shocked if he ended of screwing him over and manipulating him into breaking his oaths or something anyway.
If I remember correctly
Hoid shows up as a stagecoach driver in Mistborn Era 2 and he seems fine, but we don't know if he still has his connection with Design or anything. I believe Mistborn Era 2 takes place between Stormlight 1-5 and 6-10... eventually Sanderson's going to have lay out an official timeline.

This also makes Sazed's letter to Hoid in the chapter epitaphs funny, because he basically says "hey, when you're here please announce yourself so we can talk" and Hoid literally gets so close as driving Wax while Wax is speaking with Harmony yet doesn't let him know he's there.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly
Hoid shows up as a stagecoach driver in Mistborn Era 2 and he seems fine, but we don't know if he still has his connection with Design or anything. I believe Mistborn Era 2 takes place between Stormlight 1-5 and 6-10... eventually Sanderson's going to have lay out an official timeline.

This also makes Sazed's letter to Hoid in the chapter epitaphs funny, because he basically says "hey, when you're here please announce yourself so we can talk" and Hoid literally gets so close as driving Wax while Wax is speaking with Harmony yet doesn't let him know he's there.
I would honestly put money on that being the recent visit the letter is referring to, lol.

That said, I don't think we know for sure when either Mistborn eras take place relative to Stormlight, or when the letters are being sent relative to either. Best that the wiki has is "he says they're released roughly chronologically but all we really know for certain is that the Oathpact was broken before White Sands so who knows." Could be that Mistborn Era 2 is taking place concurrently with Stormlight, or largely before it, or totally after it.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I would honestly put money on that being the recent visit the letter is referring to, lol.

That said, I don't think we know for sure when either Mistborn eras take place relative to Stormlight, or when the letters are being sent relative to either. Best that the wiki has is "he says they're released roughly chronologically but all we really know for certain is that the Oathpact was broken before White Sands so who knows." Could be that Mistborn Era 2 is taking place concurrently with Stormlight, or largely before it, or totally after it.
It's been mentioned a few times:
Questioner
Time-wise, where do the events of Bands of Mourning happen with respect to Words of Radiance?

Brandon Sanderson
...So, Bands of Mourning, all the Wax & Wayne books take place after Stormlight 5, but I'm not sure if it happens after or before Stormlight 6, It'll have to wait, because there's a time jump between Stormlight 5 and 6 that I haven't exactly defined in the timeline yet.
wob.coppermind.net

Oathbringer Newcastle signing

Dec. 1, 2017, Newcastle, UK

Greg Ellner
When does the Wax and Wayne series take place compared to The Stormlight Archive?

Brandon Sanderson
Just after.

Greg Ellner
Thank you! So after Stormlight 10, then comes The Alloy of Law? I have noticed a change in Hoid in these books since.

Brandon Sanderson
Alloy is somewhere after Stormlight 5.
wob.coppermind.net

General Twitter 2015

Jan. 1, 2015,

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
My physical book finally came! First one got lost in shipping with Amazon and they had to send me another one. Nice to enjoy the art in the book, and boy this thing is huge.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I had expected Coppermind to not get updated with spoilers for a bit so you could look up certain things for reference while reading, as I like to do.

I was wrong.

To their credit, there was a banner at the top, but since my link autoscrolled to the header I was searching for I missed that lol.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's been mentioned a few times:
Questioner
Time-wise, where do the events of Bands of Mourning happen with respect to Words of Radiance?

Brandon Sanderson
...So, Bands of Mourning, all the Wax & Wayne books take place after Stormlight 5, but I'm not sure if it happens after or before Stormlight 6, It'll have to wait, because there's a time jump between Stormlight 5 and 6 that I haven't exactly defined in the timeline yet.
wob.coppermind.net

Oathbringer Newcastle signing

Dec. 1, 2017, Newcastle, UK

Greg Ellner
When does the Wax and Wayne series take place compared to The Stormlight Archive?

Brandon Sanderson
Just after.

Greg Ellner
Thank you! So after Stormlight 10, then comes The Alloy of Law? I have noticed a change in Hoid in these books since.

Brandon Sanderson
Alloy is somewhere after Stormlight 5.
wob.coppermind.net

General Twitter 2015

Jan. 1, 2015,
Oh, huh, that's... weird.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I didn't realize that some of those things in Roshar were Aviars and some side characters might be Terrismen. Damn you Sanderson and your meticulous details.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished.

Ho ho ho HOLY SHIT

Chiming in on ongoing convos:

Shallan is great y'all just haters

And the pacing was a little wonky here. Certain events feel like they fire off earlier than expected, and the result is a strange lack of urgency throughout a lot of the book. I only really felt it in the flashback chapters, tbh - they covered a lot of ground we already mostly knew.

At some point there's going to have to be a "sit down and exposit about the Cosmere at great length" chapter and it's going to be dreadful but it's kinda necessary at this point. Gotta get the relevant perspectives in the same room and hammer things out. There were two little ones here, but they're couched in deliberate mystery in one case and metaphor in the other, so it's not exactly helpful. I'd honestly have figured that the characters would get a better education for themselves after the events of Oathbringer, but I guess they were happy to let sleeping dogs lie, mostly.

My brain, it is swirling. So much shit changed at the very very end of this one. Goddamn.

Edit: Okay a few thoughts in no particular order

Taravangian you miserable old FUCK, what the fuck is WRONG WITH YOU, why would you POSSIBLY think this was a good idea? What part of how things unfolded thus far would make you believe yourself even remotely qualified to do this? Also, seriously, what the fuck is Nightblood that it would even make such a thing possible? What the fuck did Vasher do? That is NOT just a fancy sentient sword that sucks in investiture. Shards are supposed to be nigh-infinitely mighty and Taravangian just sticks Odium with it, kills Rayse, and then becomes Odium himself? What kind of bullshit system did Endowment put together that creating such a thing is even possible?

I'm happy for Venli and all, reunited with the other Listeners, but a) I wanna know what's up with Leshwi now (honestly, Venli was more interesting last book - I find myself way more interested in other Listener perspectives than hers) and b) I wanna know if Eshonai is kicking around somewhere Kelsier style after that last chapter, and c) for god's sake get your shit together femalen, there's still a war on. Get back in the game. Yes yes freedom for your people woooo great you've got an entire class of Radiants now and that shit's gonna be necessary in the next 10 days. So I guess what I'm saying is, I would've appreciated more time wrapping up what's going on with the other Singers after the tower was liberated.

Speaking of 10 days, what the fuck, 10 days?!? Ten DAYS?!? Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I literally cannot believe this. How the fuck is the next book going to be structured? Rhythms was weird enough - I'd figured that taking the Tower would be the climax to part 3, and then Kaladin Does Diehard would be part 4, but instead it's, like, most of the book. But how do you do a Stormlight sized book that takes place over 10 days without making the entire thing Avalanche-tier dense? I don't think you can. So the duel has to happen early. But what the fuck does that imply for the rest of the novel? I don't know. I don't even know if Taravangian is planning to rig the duel so he wins or loses. He could very easily just throw the thing and weasel his way out somehow.

It's worth noting - this book didn't really have a traditional Avalanche. Like, you could count Maya at the Trial as the start and then the rest as... the rest, but it's weirdly anticlimactic aside from the traditional Kaladin Swears an Oath moment. Everything wraps up from there pretty rapidly. There's big moments but it doesn't feel like a rush of them. This is kinda exacerbated by pulling us from the tower being reactivated to Dalinar in Emul - that could've been epilogue stuff. Gimme more from the Tower being freed.

Especially more Leshwi, who I really think is kinda sweet on Kaladin and I'm interested to see where that goes.

I thought that the stuff in Shadesmar dragged a little bit, but I like Shallan and I like Adolin and I liked all the other Radiants they brought on, so that was mostly alright. Honestly, the trial stuff felt the most traditional Sanderson Avalanche to me of all of it. Again, just wish we had more wrapup.

Navani's material was really genuinely dope, but that could just be my inner Neal Stephenson fan leaking out. All the study of light stuff feels like it could have come from a fantasy Baroque Cycle.
Just finished the book, so I wanted to share my thoughts on something you brought up
I think Nightblood was able to kill Rayse because it has some ability to sever connection. It didn't kill Odium itself, the power was completely intact and not splintered or anything either, it just severed the connection between the Vessel and the Shard itself and by severing that the vessel was able to be killed. As evidence consider it's use in the fight with Ishar. If we just look at that in a grander scale then I think this explanation might make sense

divination

Oct 26, 2017
Just shy of 50% read and...

I'm disappointed we've only had two small appearances by Jasnah. She's been my favorite character of the series.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Finished part 2 and Interludes:

Man, Lirin is coming off real damn shitty.

So....Mraize is hunting after Lift? What?! Also who was the other guy with the bird that Mraize's attacked? I am so much more confused by Mraize right now.

Not being a big fan of Shadesmar in Oathbringer, I'm really looking forward to what comes of this Adolin storyline.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Slowly making my way through the book, and I absolutely adore how rich and well-thought Sanderson's world building is

but damn these books are so long that re-reads are basically a non-starter, but I don't remember a lot of what happened. Sja-anat who? Nergaoul what? Wait which book was Zahel from and what happened in it? It comes back to me but way too slowly.

I'll have to make a better effort to read the synopses online.

Apr 24, 2019
Finished on Saturday night. As far as an SA novel, probably on the bottom for me. As far as a Cosmere novel though.... There's 1 chapter in particular that has me scared about the future :(

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh these spoilers are killing me. I'm trying to finish my reread of Joe Abercrombie's Heroes (before I get to the new trilogy) then I'll read Dawnshard then this. Gotta read faster....

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
PSA for those still reading, since I don't think it has been mentioned: Coppermind has a Time Machine feature as of last week, which allows you to navigate the Wiki as it appeared before Rhythm of War without hoping for internet archive back-ups. The blog post explaining it is here:

www.17thshard.com

You can now visit previous versions of Coppermind pages with Time Machine!

Hi everyone! I wanted to talk about spoilers on the Coppermind and some things we are doing on the Coppermind to assist here. First, whoa, our servers have had some serious problems keeping up with you all! The server load was really high, so apologies if you were trying to get to the wiki Tuesda...

When you go to the Coppermind for the first time, you will get a pop-up saying the wiki can contain spoilers, but it will also have a link to the Time Machine.
A link to the Time Machine is in our wiki-wide purple spoiler warning at the top of pages. (This banner won't be permanent, but it'll be up for at least a month.)
Lastly, toward the top of the left sidebar, there is a Time Machine link.

In the Time Machine, you can simply go in the dropdown menu, which has a few presets, which include: "Before Rhythm of War," "Before Rhythm of War and Dawnshard," "Before Oathbringer," "Before Shadows of Self, Bands, and Secret History," and lastly, "Before Words of Radiance." You can also select whatever date you'd prefer as well. We'll update this list with each big cosmere release.

There are a few issues with Time Machine, so it isn't flawless. If you set the Time Machine to a certain date, and you specifically go to a brand-new Rhythm of War topic, there's no "previous" version for the Time Machine to give you, so it will give you a page after 11/17. Also, when looking back on old pages, templates use their current template version. For example, the navigation box at the bottom of Stormlight pages might have additional topics. We'll try to not have glanceable spoilers there. The last issue is that the further back you go, the more sucky the wiki is. The "Before Words of Radiance" one will look really bad and have broken templates. But! For more recent things, especially OB and on, I think this will be really, really nice for most people. Do also note that for whatever you pick, there will be spoilers for other series that existed at that time.

Other things we have done beyond our usual spoiler banners at the top of pages to help with this:

1. We now have the spoiler pop-up the first time you go to the wiki, explaining that the wiki does have spoilers.
2. There were lots of reports of Google indexing some spoilers in its text previews for pages, which is not great. This should no longer be happening.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I love Navani, in no small part because she acts as a conduit of pure Cosmere/Roshar lore. Lifelight?! My current speculation is that Radiants have access to two Surges, one from Honor and one from Cultivation, though either can be powered with Stormlight or any other form of relevant Investiture. The Fused only have one Surge, from Odium.

Part 3 was pretty rad, mainly a guerilla/stealth war section. The glove mechanic was cool for a fight, and the Pursuer, despite his dumb name, is a truly terrifying villain. I wonder if that's the surge of Transportation, but if so, why there seems to be only one Fused of that type?

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
End of book spoilers:

Adolin had my favourite character arc.The line about his trial being from Maya and that being the only really important trial was great.

He's such a good character and I can't wait to see what happens with him in the future - looks like he'll have a bond but not be a radiant? Something different? That's so cool

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the book:

I wish there were less flashbacks, this time they didn't really tell us much besides some stuff about the Listener's culture, but it was worth it for Eshonai's last flashback.
So Kelsier is more than likely the leader of the Ghostbloods, I wonder what their real plan is, especially after Mraize gave Lift to the Singers.
Kaladin's fourth ideal was what we all knew it was going to be, but it was a nice moment. Lirin is still an asshole though.
Can't wait for Moash to get bodied. Fuck you, Moash.
I had no issues with Shallan's plot, you all just hate on her too much :P
I wonder if Adolin will end up becoming a Radiant, or something different.
How many Breaths did Hoid lose to lose his perfect pitch? Also is he misdirecting Odium there? He was talking about misdirection before that, after all.
I wonder what Vasher was doing during the invasion, he showed his abilities pretty openly to Kaladin before that, but didn't show up at all after.

Now to wait for the next one.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I finished the other day, and I let the book percolate a little bit before I wrote my thoughts down. Spoilers for the full book and the Cosmere at large.

Ultimately, I was disappointed in this book. Brandon decided on a structure for the Stormlight books back before he started, and this is the first book where the cracks have begun to show. I'm primarily thinking of flashbacks and the timing of radiant oaths.

The flashbacks have been done to death, but I just wanted to say I agree. They added nothing to narrative, there was no "revelation" apart from maybe the person who provided the Void-spren to Venli. Everything was just a fork of something we've seen before, and I just didn't need to re-tread that again.

Just like I didn't need to re-tread depressed Kaladin again. His moment with Tien was heartwarming and beautiful and I absolutely teared up. But I did not need ANOTHER book of him being sad and depressed and fighting losing battles again. It was like we were back running bridges again. Regress and grow, regress and grow. I was so much more interested in Kaladin the therapist and part time surgeon. How could he use his radiant abilities to help these folks out? Hell, I was eagerly anticipating a new way to use a shardblade after Syl mentioned her old knight built aqueducts in the past. But nope, Die Hard Kaladin it is.

I will say I appreciated more of Shallan's story this time around, but once again, it felt very same-y. The revelation at the end about her previous spren was great, but dear god. I just wanted something new. Her interactions with Adolin were great, and Shadesmar as a whole was a different kind of adventure. But I wanted less internal strife between the personalities and just something new. Again, felt very same-y.

I felt we were a little robbed of Dalinar and Jasnah in this book, though what we did get was great. Warrior queen and no-nonsense Jasnah who's going to wield her power to force the Alethi to modernize? Hell yes! She is what Dalinar wanted to be back at the Shattered Plains. She's doing things her way and showing the Highprinces that she can do it their way too. More of this please! I wanted more of Dalinar and the Mink. The odd couple directing the war. All of the Bondsmith stuff was great, and the "stretching" of the Stormfather, very cool.

Navani - another bright point for the book. I loved her fantasy science. Her climax was a little too predictable, but I suppose you can't win them all. Her relationship with Raboniel was great, and I'm disappointed we're losing such an interesting character after one book. Looking forward to learning more about the Sibling, who I think has a deeper connection to the Recreance than we know just yet.

Side characters - Lift, keep doing what you do. Interested to see how growing up affects her. Some interesting trauma to be potentially explored there. Leshwi, I'm shipping you and Kaladin hard at this point. Rlain, hope you get more viewpoints in the future. Dabbid, the real hero of this book, his chapter was heartbreaking and heartwarming, he doesn't need a spren, he's great the way he is but I hope that he gets what he wants. Vasher, Bro come on, help out once the tower gets taken.

Odium/Taravangian - God damn. What a way to up the stakes. I'm a little disappointed that Rayse seemed to just lose it after losing Dalinar as his champion. There was something very clearly happening against the shard's intent there towards the end that has Cosmere implications, and I hope we can explore that. TOdium makes so much sense as a villain, I'm shocked I didn't see it coming. I'm glad we got an "evil" ascension, but I'm somewhat concerned that Brandon is pointing towards none of the "villains" in the Cosmere actually being bad. Maybe Taravangian will be corrupted by the Shard's intent, but his goal to save everyone could easily evolve into normal villainy or actual self-sacrifice. Either way, the Ascension scene was fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Nightblood - So, he gets stronger after consuming investiture, right? And he just stabbed a Shard. Even before that, he was able to chip an Honorblade. Assuming Szeth takes him to purge Shinovar... he is well on his way to becoming one of, if not the most powerful object in the Cosmere. And considering he doesn't appear to be bound by the same rules of investment as other things like cognitive shadows, wooooo.

Overall, while I enjoyed this book, Brandon needed an editor to say "no." Unfortunately, he is at the point in his career where that just won't happen since he's such a moneymaker for Tor. I wasn't a huge fan of exactly how the story played out, but even if he went in the same direction, I think you could cut part 3 in half and remove the flashbacks entirely (except for maybe the last one and include some of the thoughts from current Venli) and you'd have a much tighter, more enjoyable book. Hell, just reduce the number of "shields" around the tower to 2 and things move much quicker.

The Cosmere continues to develop in exciting ways, but this is the first time where I felt the book was more of a vehicle for the "post-credits scene" than the story contained within. I don't mind connecting everything to the wider Cosmere, but the singular story of the novel shouldn't suffer for that.

Oh, and before I forget, when we finally get down to the inevitable conflict between worlds, I side with the Ghostbloods and Kelsier... I mean Thaidakar. I look forward to him re-taking center stage and fighting for the people.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
PSA for those still reading, since I don't think it has been mentioned: Coppermind has a Time Machine feature as of last week, which allows you to navigate the Wiki as it appeared before Rhythm of War without hoping for internet archive back-ups. The blog post explaining it is here:

www.17thshard.com

You can now visit previous versions of Coppermind pages with Time Machine!

Hi everyone! I wanted to talk about spoilers on the Coppermind and some things we are doing on the Coppermind to assist here. First, whoa, our servers have had some serious problems keeping up with you all! The server load was really high, so apologies if you were trying to get to the wiki Tuesda...
Thanks for the PSA.

Would've been useful to know before I thought to myself:

What happened to Kelsier? That epithet at the beginning of Chapter 28 made me think of him. Did I miss anything since the novella in the Arcanum Unbounded? Oh wait what's that I noticed in the corner of my eye, his alias is Thaidakar? FUCK

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it

The middle part was kinda getting stale and formulaic by the 4th book now, but Brandon absolutely saved it with how much emotionally amazing stuff he managed to put in after part 3.

That saved the book for me from being just ok to being truly great.

As for Kelsier being Thaidakar:

Kalak calls Thaidakar, "old Thaidakar". Kelsier's 300 years old, Kalak is 7000 years old.

We'll see how it goes.

Dec 15, 2017
Finished it. What a ride.

Teared up at Kal's vision with Tien. Excited to see Taravangian as Odium and greater Cosmere connections. Raboniel was such an amazing character

Overall probably my second favorite of the SA (Words of Radiance is number one).

TrademarkTM

Oct 27, 2017
just realized I never read the last wax and Wayne book. Guess I should read that and secret history. Not sure how I missed that

Apr 24, 2019
Yeah The Lost Metal was held for timeline reasons, which is the thing that basically confirms the
Thaidakar-Kelsier
thing for me.