• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
I need to reread all the books again along with Dawnshard for the first time. So excited for what happens next.

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the odd camp of waiting for the UK 2-part release as I prefer that form factor for reading. Agonising wait but I suppose this isn't my first rodeo!
Don't paperbacks usually release 1 year after hardback? That's a tough wait! Tbh I've learned to enjoy reading big chunky hardbacks. Just set up a makeshift cushion stand for it to rest against and you're golden!

To anyone wanting a catch up /primer on everything that's happened so far (without actually re reading the books :p). What are you all doing? Chapter recaps on Tor seem like the easiest?

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I can't imagine fully re-reading a 1000+ page books, there is always something new to read. Re-reading a few important chapters and the Tor recap is totally fine.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I completely forgot that I had this preordered until this thread. I've been jonesing for a thick book, so now I'm hype as hell.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I need to catch up and get through Oathbringer... but I'm excited after reading all of the other Cosmere books this year.

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
The Tor.com quick and dirty recap linked in the OP is great, it sums up all the major story threads without getting too bogged down in details.

I'm in the odd camp of waiting for the UK 2-part release as I prefer that form factor for reading. Agonising wait but I suppose this isn't my first rodeo!

That's also my preferred physical edition (the form factor is sooooooo much nicer), so I'm going with the ebook for now and getting the books when they come out in a year or so. I'm not a big ebook reader, but since Dawnshard was only out in that format I ended up reading it on my Kindle and it was totally fine despite my longstanding belief that having a physical book in hand adds something to the experience.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't read any of the books yet (and haven't read any of the thread), but picked up each one at release. A bit of a collector, so want 1st edition hard covers. Have the first two books signed so far. Don't know when I will have Oathbringer or Rhythm of War signed with everything that is going on, probably will be awhile. But that's fine.

Really looking forward to reading these. I wanted to wait on them because I got tired of being burned with Wheel of Time. Would read the series and then forget a lot of the details because it was so long between books. So decided to wait until a number of them were released, I think I might start now. Probably will take me a couple years to read the first four, as well as Dawnshard, before book 5 is released. lol

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I want!!! Please give me all that Cosmere goodness right into my fucking veins!!!

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the thread, OP! The impending release of this had somehow slipped under my radar, but now I've got my preorder in.

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I completely forgot that I had this preordered until this thread. I've been jonesing for a thick book, so now I'm hype as hell.
Thanks for the thread, OP! The impending release of this had somehow slipped under my radar, but now I've got my preorder in.
👍

It's been a weird year, so totally understandable... but at least we can count on Sanderson's writing pace and release schedule to remain reliable lol.

Mansally

Sep 26, 2018
Hey ya'll. Lurker extreme here and basically everywhere else, haha. Really hope you all will like the newest release! I've been doing the Navani sketchbook drawings for the last two books and I'm usually nervous about most work I do for them over the years. I had quite a bit of leeway with some of them on my end as devices, conveyance and such are one of my favorite things to visualize for books. I'm not an advance copy proof-reader, but I get a solid amount of the early draft chunks, so I'm just as curious to how the rest of the book goes as a long-time super-fan. Anyhow, if I can get more Lift that would be dope.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
currently in the throws of my Stormlight re-read (on Oathbreaker about 100 pages in) and dawnshard is waiting as well. So I will likely pick up an ebook once I am there (and I am hoping to get a physical copy for xmas for art purposes)

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey ya'll. Lurker extreme here and basically everywhere else, haha. Really hope you all will like the newest release! I've been doing the Navani sketchbook drawings for the last two books and I'm usually nervous about most work I do for them over the years. I had quite a bit of leeway with some of them on my end as devices, conveyance and such are one of my favorite things to visualize for books. I'm not an advance copy proof-reader, but I get a solid amount of the early draft chunks, so I'm just as curious to how the rest of the book goes as a long-time super-fan. Anyhow, if I can get more Lift that would be dope.
Hey, that's awesome! I really love your sketches <3

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I can't imagine fully re-reading a 1000+ page books, there is always something new to read. Re-reading a few important chapters and the Tor recap is totally fine.

I've reread GoT and WoT while waiting for next books. It is grueling and I stopped doing it. Hell, i've been waiting for GoT to end since 1996.

OP
OP
ExMachina

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
! Your drawings are amazing - it's been great seeing more in-world and in-character art as the series has gone on. And that's cool that you have some freedom in coming up with the device/fabrial designs. It must feel awesome to get to contribute in part to the world building.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, Shallan's chapters and development are my favorite part of the books. While Kaladin is the milquetoast shonen-like protagonist, Shallan's detective shit is way more interesting and tense. The Veil stuff is so good.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018

I'll echo what others have mentioned in that I think your art has been really good and they bring an extra dimension to the books. I can only imagine how the anticipation is with you in kinda sorta knowing what happens but not really.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa

I'm always surprised at the who's who on Era

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
With how chaotic this year has been I completely missed that this was releasing until like a week ago. Can't break my streak of buying every Stormlight Archives book the first week of release!

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I've never preordered a book on Kindle before. When does it download: at midnight or tomorrow morning?
In my experience, it's usually midnight, but it might be down to the publisher. I'm fairly sure I remember Oathbringer downloading at midnight.

The first indication is an email receipt from Amazon at 12:01.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Have my copy pre-ordered on Amazon. Knew it was coming out soon but didn't think it was tomorrow. Sadly, I did not know about Dawnshard Novella. I may try to read it tonight and tomorrow so I can dig right into book four! It's not quite on the level of a Harry Potter release, but these books are the closest I have to that feeling I had as a teen.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Started rereading the first 3 books in anticipation for this, and nearly finished with the 1st, so I won't exactly be able to start this once it comes out.

Already bought it though, and incredibly hyped to read it.

Oh shit, and I didn't even know about Dawnshard.

Mansally

Sep 26, 2018
Hey, that's awesome! I really love your sketches <3
! Your drawings are amazing - it's been great seeing more in-world and in-character art as the series has gone on. And that's cool that you have some freedom in coming up with the device/fabrial designs. It must feel awesome to get to contribute in part to the world building.
I'll echo what others have mentioned in that I think your art has been really good and they bring an extra dimension to the books. I can only imagine how the anticipation is with you in kinda sorta knowing what happens but not really.
Whoa

I'm always surprised at the who's who on Era

Thanks everyone. The book title is directly tied to Navani's work so I've sort of felt a "This is surreal/I'm gonna vomit/what if they hate it." kind of feeling every now and then. I think everyone gets that regardless of what they do. But I'm always that way with jobs for them. I haven't done any other jobs this year at all except this one as I've been very ill and now taking care of family. Add Covid difficulties... and it's a mess.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I've reread GoT and WoT while waiting for next books. It is grueling and I stopped doing it. Hell, i've been waiting for GoT to end since 1996.

That's what I was getting at in my post earlier in this thread and why I hadn't started Stormlight yet. Granted, Brandon seems to be putting them out at a more consistent pace than Jordan did and Martin with GoT (I haven't even started GoT and won't until Martin finishes it-if he ever does), but I didn't want to read Way of Kings and then wait two years for the next book.

Now that there are 4 books out, and Dawnshard, that should last me awhile. Although I hear there are supposed to be 10 books in the series, so maybe I'll wait at least until the next one to start.

Hey, that's great to hear!

Were you involved in the illustrations at all for the Way of Kings kickstarter?

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That's what I was getting at in my post earlier in this thread and why I hadn't started Stormlight yet. Granted, Brandon seems to be putting them out at a more consistent pace than Jordan did and Martin with GoT (I haven't even started GoT and won't until Martin finishes it-if he ever does), but I didn't want to read Way of Kings and then wait two years for the next book.

Now that there are 4 books out, and Dawnshard, that should last me awhile. Although I hear there are supposed to be 10 books in the series, so maybe I'll wait at least until the next one to start.
FWIW, the 10 books will be split into 2 major arcs, each being 5 books long. So this major arc should only have 1 book left (plus, presumably, a 4.5 novella), last time I checked.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, the 10 books will be split into 2 major arcs, each being 5 books long. So this major arc should only have 1 book left (plus, presumably, a 4.5 novella), last time I checked.

Oh, ok thanks. I just remember Brandon talking about/introducing Way of Kings waaay back at his Gathering Storm book signing saying it would be 10 books.

Without spoilers, is it one overarching, epic storyline still with the two arcs? If you can't tell me without spoilering any of the books (haven't read any yet) then don't worry about answering. :)

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Oh, ok thanks. I just remember Brandon talking about/introducing Way of Kings waaay back at his Gathering Storm book signing saying it would be 10 books.

Without spoilers, is it one overarching, epic storyline still with the two arcs? If you can't tell me without spoilering any of the books (haven't read any yet) then don't worry about answering. :)
Long winded answer but no spoilers:
Yeah. I think what Sanderson means when he says 2 arcs is that by the end of book 5 some major plot points, character arcs and conflicts from books 1-4 will be resolved, but it sounds like 6+ will still directly follow the events of 1-5, with known characters showing up etc.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Still very connected, the Jury is out on whether its one overarching storyline versus two more "contained" 5 book storylines. All we know is that there will be a 15 year time skip, and that many of the minor characters in the first half will be major characters in the second half (and vice versa).

Mansally

Sep 26, 2018

Hey, that's great to hear!

Were you involved in the illustrations at all for the Way of Kings kickstarter?

Nah. I've missed out on a few things. That and the Brotherwise game are two things I'm not involved in. My ability to do work this year was shat on a little. I feel a little sad about it, but the quality of work wouldn't have been good. They gave me a lot of time to do those sketches for this book. There are so many crazy awesome artists that I love seeing out there and the main illustrators for the books are powerhouses. The only other thing coming up is something commissioned for the Leatherbound Alloy of Law coming up.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
And at 12:01 on the dot it appeared on my Kindle. I'm going to read a chapter before bed 😁

Cyrus_Saren

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
On page 500 of Oathbringer currently but I am getting this sent to me on release. Have plenty of time to finish if I actually take to sitting down and actually reading...

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Long winded answer but no spoilers:
Yeah. I think what Sanderson means when he says 2 arcs is that by the end of book 5 some major plot points, character arcs and conflicts from books 1-4 will be resolved, but it sounds like 6+ will still directly follow the events of 1-5, with known characters showing up etc.

Still very connected, the Jury is out on whether its one overarching storyline versus two more "contained" 5 book storylines. All we know is that there will be a 15 year time skip, and that many of the minor characters in the first half will be major characters in the second half (and vice versa).

Ok, thanks!

After book 5 releases sounds like a good point to start book 1 for me. So yes, another couple years, but have a lot of series I want to go through, anyways. Right now I'm actually reading the Shadowmarch books by Tad Williams.

Nah. I've missed out on a few things. That and the Brotherwise game are two things I'm not involved in. My ability to do work this year was shat on a little. I feel a little sad about it, but the quality of work wouldn't have been good. They gave me a lot of time to do those sketches for this book. There are so many crazy awesome artists that I love seeing out there and the main illustrators for the books are powerhouses. The only other thing coming up is something commissioned for the Leatherbound Alloy of Law coming up.

Hey, that's cool. I understand wanting to be involved, but I respect that you felt it best to step back if you know you couldn't give your best work.

Looking forward to seeing your work in Alloy of Law! I didn't know a leatherbound was being done for that, as well. Is that going to be another KS?

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely excited for this. After months of waiting I almost can't believe it's out tomorrow.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
On the verge of ignoring this topic. It will be a little while before I'm able to read this and I don't want anything spoiled. I don't want to be tempted to come in here!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
A hour and a half to go on the east coast, assuming the Kindle version unlocks at 12:01am.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It didn't load. I guess it won't unlock until 12:01 PST. I was hoping to get a couple chapters in before bed

Edit - And as soon as I post, the download starts.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Is it time zone locked? If so, fuck that.

Just showed up for me.

So much for sleep.

Last edited:

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Very very cool. The sketches do such a wonderful job of fleshing out the world. I absolutely adore them. They're some of my favorite art pages in any fantasy book I've read. Glad to see you here and I hope 2021 treats you better than 2020 did

Edit: ooooo it's out? Guess I better finish up that quick and dirty Tor recap