• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Telling them they will be in a mandatory 14 day quarantine.

thehill.com

Rhode Island police, National Guard begin stopping cars with NY plates and going door-to-door to enforce quarantine

Rhode Island police have begun stopping cars with New York license plates, and the National Guard will soon help officials conduct house-to-house searches to force anyone who has traveled from New …

"Rhode Island police have begun stopping cars with New York license plates, and the National Guard will soon help officials conduct house-to-house searches to force anyone who has traveled from New York to enter isolation.

"Right now we have a pinpointed risk," Gov. Gina Raimondo (D) said, according to Bloomberg. "That risk is called New York City."
Raimondo on Thursday issued an executive order enforceable by law mandating that anyone who has traveled to New York via any form of transportation must enter into a two-week self-quarantine.

The order applies to anyone who has been in New York within the past two weeks and will remain in place until at least April 25. The order, however, does not apply to public health, public safety or health care workers."

Insane. sounds super illegal, going house to house to find anyone "hiding out" from NY and forcing them into quarantine.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
most states will have to start doing this sooner or later illegal or not. they cant just carelessy let people cross states and cause outbreaks.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The virus is just a convenient excuse for the state to do what its residents have wanted to do for decades

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Their children might find the guns and shoot themselves.
You really don't think that those crazy asshats and doomsday preppers won't see this as some start of martial law and won't put those guns to use? This is the kind of shit those people sit on forums and reddit talking about constantly. It's their fantasy come to life.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
You really don't think that those crazy asshats and doomsday preppers won't see this as some start of martial law and won't put those guns to use? This is the kind of shit those people sit on forums and reddit talking about constantly. It's their fantasy come to life.
Well they will be filled with bullets

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

The cops have bigger guns. Helicopters and drones with explosives, tanks as well as no accountability.

There won't be a single incident.

Oct 27, 2017
The governor gave a rather odd and a bit disturbing interview on MSNBC the other day, not nearly the same kind of leadership response that other Democratic governors have been doing.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
House-to-house searches? I wonder if they are just driving by to see if there are cars with New York plates parked outside or if we are already going straight to full on kick in the front door, night vision, midnight military raids or some shit.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I don't see a problem with this, but my super conservative Dad is getting pissed about this.

We're in a fucking war with an enemy that can't be seen and can't be heard, yet will kill more people then any terrorist agency ever has.

The only way we're going to defeat this "invisible" enemy is to take extreme measures.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Not at all comfortable with the actions being taken. To say nothing of the legality. I understand desperate measures are needed to curb the spread, but gestapo esque tactics? Not a good look.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like something you would do to make it seem like you're doing something without trying to annoy your own residence. Is the National Guard going to have the same enforcement for RI residents? What about stopping people from other states? Are you also going going to stop residents from going to other states to prevent you from infecting others?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Well they will be filled with bullets
Of course, but then there's the other people potentially in the homes, neighbors in the way, and so on.

Those people are at a higher risk of injuring themselves than shooting someone else.
Of course they are, and door to door actions increase that risk.

Right, I don't think that.

Because it won't happen. Not once.
People have barricaded themselves inside of homes with guns for a lot less. And couple that with paranoia and no doubt alcohol, it's a messy scenario. Maybe not in Rhode Island, but if it migrates to other states like the initial post suggested, it's a real possibility in a lot of communities.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Any libertarians who cry about this should know that throwing caution to the wind like all of these New Yorkers are and infecting people also violates the non-aggression principle.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all comfortable with the actions being taken. To say nothing of the legality. I understand desperate measures are needed to curb the spread, but gestapo esque tactics? Not a good look.
If people actually listened to the government or used common sense this wouldn't be necessary. Honestly they should really slow all interstate travel for the time being. Don't stop it, some people have to make deliveries or transport medical treatment. But if you just want to go to your country house because your city is lighting up with this virus? I don't think people should be doing that at this time.

Stay in place means stay in your fucking home until the crisis is over. And yet people are driving all over the place. That just spreads it and starts the cycle all over again.

Clearly the American people can't be trusted to handle this problem on their own. The problem is I am not sure most of our government is much smarter....

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it's two weeks too late, at this point this kind of policy is probably introducing more risk than it's stopping.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Do they realize that not all people who come from NYC don't always have NYS license plates?

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people actually listened to the government or used common sense this wouldn't be necessary. Honestly they should really slow all interstate travel for the time being. Don't stop it, some people have to make deliveries or transport medical treatment. But if you just want to go to your country house because your city is lighting up with this virus? I don't think people should be doing that at this time.

Stay in place means stay in your fucking home until the crisis is over. And yet people are driving all over the place. That just spreads it and starts the cycle all over again.

Clearly the American people can't be trusted to handle this problem on their own. The problem is I am not sure most of our government is much smarter....
I was watching the new Bon Appetit video and thought the same thing. They all dispersed across North America.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly every state should be keeping people I. Their house unless public health or health professionals.

If they froze mortgages and all people could Relax for a few weeks and not worry about paying bills.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Do they realize that not all people who come from NYC don't always have NYS license plates?
I would also guess that Florida and Texas are where the next big crisis of outbreaks is going to occur. But a lot of people hate New York and its currently in the news as the biggest epicenter so that is where too much focus is going to be.

We seem to be one or two weeks behind for this whole thing.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
What are extreme measures, snipers shooting people as they flee their homes for lack of food and water?

Define your position for me.

Well, you got extreme real fast. No one even has to be armed. Just make sure to ask people to stay in their homes. Water taps are working. Basic food and supplies can be delivered to your doorstep if it gets that bad. Do you not think this is serious?

I need you to define your thoughts on this virus and if lives matter.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly every state should be keeping people I. Their house unless public health or health professionals.

If they froze mortgages and all people could Relax for a few weeks and not worry about paying bills.

That's exactly what should have happened. Flights should have been stopped as soon as it got over here and we should have had a 2 week lockdown.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
The virus is just a convenient excuse for the state to do what its residents have wanted to do for decades
I'm guessing you're a fellow Rhode Islander? Yeah, this is motivated by the dislike of of New Yorkers that was already here. Almost every other comment I heard up until this point was "we need to shut the borders and keep NY out.". RI is grouchy and irritable even compared to the rest of New England. Especially towards all those people from out of state who buy coastal properties in Newport.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Well, you got extreme real fast. No one even has to be armed. Just make sure to ask people to stay in their homes. Water taps are working. Basic food and supplies can be delivered to your doorstep if it gets that bad. Do you not think this is serious?

I need you to define your thoughts on this virus and if lives matter.
Across the WHOLE country? Who is going to coordinate that? lol

lt.dinh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Travel restrictions don't work. People think they do and they sound good but all past attempts have never worked. Research and modeling supports this. Focus on polices to limit community transmission that do work.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is hyper illegal. Freedom of movement is guaranteed in the Constitution and has been reaffirmed by the courts numerous times. Seems that Rhode Island is just playing the "doing it until the courts tell us to stop" game which gives them weeks/months to act like this.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
A lot of them will be heading to Cape Cod where I live. It's hard to blame them. Obviously we don't want it spread to small communities with small hospitals either, but I'm not angry at people.

Now more than ever we need to dare to be patient and forgiving to anyone that isn't an orange piece of shit.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Iirc. This is happening in New Orleans too..pulling over ny plates.

This whole focus on ny is bizzare. As I'd they're the ones that have spread it in all states where it's spreading.