• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you want to make a fictionalized version of the Buddy Cianci story, sure?

edit: Wait, shit, I'd play that...

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
You play as Curt Schilling going door to door, doing odd jobs to raise money to finally pay back the state of RI

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Lovecraft inspired open world set in the 30s, or Life is Strange like graphic adventure, or a Block Island silenthill.

Only themes I can think of.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Rhode Island is a cool state that actually has a lot of history behind it.

• A lot of pirates lived here, Jamestown and Newport were busting seaport towns.
  • H.P Lovecraft, Author and virulent racist who created the Cthulhu mythos was from here.
  • Roger Williams was the states founder who was kicked out of Massachusetts for being too radical. He thought that people should have freedom of religion and separation of church and state. In 1636.
  • RI was the first colony to say "Hey England, Fuck off!"
  • The first water powered textile mills in the country were started here.
  • The first indoor-malls were in RI.
  • And, even though its incredibly sad we even have this in America, RI was the first state to enact a "Homeless Bill of Rights" that wouldn't allow discrimination over housing status.

Nov 17, 2017
Malta is better. It's smaller than Rhode Island too. And it's actually interesting.

Gozo-1.jpg
malta_gozo.jpg
Malta-2109x1406.jpg
verdala_in_spring_750x534.jpg
36f0c5d686e397546cdcda43c23840ab.gif

It's also actually an island. Rhode Island is a fraud.

What's wrong with Rhode Island?
What isn't?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I can't hate Rhode Island. It has the Nordic Lodge. The greatest all-you-can-eat buffet in the world.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd be down for a game set pre colonial NE/RI.

Would be cool to explore an accurate portrayal of part of NA before disease and conquest cam and fucked everything up.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Well if there is any driving in this hypothetical game the devs can cut back on costs by not bothering with turn signals.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, I'm struggling to think of a more unappealing open world setting than Rhode Island lmao.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
OP leave Rhode Island lol. Best thing ive ever done. Literally everywhere else is better

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
The only time rhode island is related to games will be when Obsidian are working on "project rhode island" before it gets a proper name.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who lived in Providence, I'm glad I'll never have to live in Rhode Island again.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I can see Bully 2 being set there. But overall not much difference then the setting of the first Bully.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
ITT: people are discovering that Rhode Island is the Delaware of New England.

Rhode Island is a cool state that actually has a lot of history behind it.

• A lot of pirates lived here, Jamestown and Newport were busting seaport towns.
  • H.P Lovecraft, Author and virulent racist who created the Cthulhu mythos was from here.
  • Roger Williams was the states founder who was kicked out of Massachusetts for being too radical. He thought that people should have freedom of religion and separation of church and state. In 1636.
  • RI was the first colony to say "Hey England, Fuck off!"
  • The first water powered textile mills in the country were started here.
  • The first indoor-malls were in RI.
  • And, even though its incredibly sad we even have this in America, RI was the first state to enact a "Homeless Bill of Rights" that wouldn't allow discrimination over housing status.
  • It took the state only until the late 2000s to ban minors from stripping professionally.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I wished I lived there, but dunno about it as a game setting. Maybe an open world Lovecraft horror game?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Any setting can be good if the developers get creative with it. Look at Control

stephen king books take place in Vermont or New England or something and he's made that place pretty interesting

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Any setting can be good if the developers get creative with it. Look at Control

stephen king books take place in Vermont or New England or something and he's made that place pretty interesting

i think the point is "i can take an already interesting setting and use my imagination to fill it with more cool stuff" over "i can take a setting barely anyone care to fill with cool stuff"

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is the most I've heard about Rhode Island in forever. Does anyone actually think of Rhode Island outside of the trivia about how small it is? At least Iowa forces you to think about it every four years

Oct 25, 2017
It's small enough that you could recreate the entire state at 1:1 scale without having to condense anything down.
I think you grossly overestimate the scale of most open world games and grossly underestimate the scale of even "small" Rhode Island.
American Truck Simulator will get there eventually.
For $11.99.
I'm gonna be honest, I'm struggling to think of a more unappealing open world setting than Rhode Island lmao.
I give you... Nebraska. (Please dear god SCS, bundle that shit w/ both Dakotas.)

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
But then you'd have to play in Rhode Island.
Dead.
Just for kicks I'm going to think of a few:
-Racing sim where you commute from some
small, underprepared, overvalued suburb in Mass to your job in Providence. In the higher difficulties every NPC is a senior collecting multiple pensions who still drives a 30-45 year old sedan. They have no peripheral vision.
-Ace Attorney clone where you get to cook spaghetti and incarcerate the mayor.
-Point and click historical drama where you enjoy Newport before property taxes.
-Tennis. Except it's smaller.
But in all honesty, just from hearing the stories my family talks about, there was a serious organized crime presence from the 1990s and prior. If the Mafia franchise wanted to branch out to another city that wasn't based on NY like they did in Mafia III, RI has some potential.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Then why set it in RI? If you want to use it only as a geographical/geometric basis, then sure. But you really framed it like a 1:1 digital RI recreation would be a good game without any further clarification.

This thread is amazing by the way.

I don't know, I just think it would be cool. I don't think it would automatically make for a good game, it would just be a unique setting.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
The doom of the two Chinatowns could be an interesting historical setting.

Yeah I could kind of see this after reading Rat Girl by Kristin Hersh which about half the book is when she lived in RI as a teen.
Plus RI has a great art scene and one of the best art schools in the country. And with Brown and Thayer St, the college hill has its share of weirdos.
I think RI would make a great setting for a hippie, or gloomy, or less traditionally masculine video game.