• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Easy for a bunch of privileged people to sit in their homes and to look at this and see this as justice served. For this person the survival of his family was most likely more important than the life of some kind of rhino that western people value so much.
Unfortunate situation.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easy for a bunch of privileged people to sit in their homes and to look at this and see this as justice served. For this person the survival of his family was most likely more important than the life of some kind of rhino that western people value so much.
Unfortunate situation.
How do we know this had to do with survival of his family and not greed for example?

If it's the former, I feel bad for his family. I can still dislike poaching at the same time.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Unfortunate situation.

So killing endangered species (for their horns that sells for thousands of dollars in the grey and black market) is A-Okay because ..... economic inequity?

Human beings are truly the most intelligent, reckless and destructive parasites on the face of this planet.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
So killing endangered species (for their horns that sells for thousands of dollars in the grey and black market) is A-Okay because ..... economic inequity?

Human beings are truly the most intelligent, reckless and destructive parasites on the face of this planet.
Don't put words in my mouth. Blame the system that created the need for this person to go so far as to risk their life for some cash leaving behind their family. And stop celebrating the death of people of colour.

I would appreciate privileged people to not talk about this at all, at least not in the way this thread did. Because some of you are just as guilty when it comes to the preservation of endagered species. Poaching is just one piece of the whole.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
If it's the former, I feel bad for his family. I can still dislike poaching at the same time.

That's exactly the point.

We're not saying feel bad for him, were saying that propel shouldn't be laughing and cheering on his brutal death given the level of nuance and poverty involved with the situation.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Don't put words in my mouth. Blame the system that created the need for this person to go so far as to risk their life for some cash leaving behind their family. And stop celebrating the death of people of colour.

I would appreciate privileged people to not talk about this at all, at least not in the way this thread did. Because some of you are just as guilty when it comes to the preservation of endagered species. Poaching is just one piece of the whole.

You put forth an inflammatory comment deriding perceived "privileged people" as a defensive position without any groundwork for your argument. And on this forum and people can talk about whatever they want as long as it is not against ToS.

Also, last I checked, I never discounted myself from being part of the problem either. Yes, there are systemic issues at play here (such as the now rescinded ban on Chinese imports of tusks/horns that are valued for their supposed "medical" and "sexual" benefits) which feeds the cycle. Since the 1970s humanity has been responsible for massive habitat losses of other creatures across the planet as well extinction of quite a few species. This is not a "solve one problem at a time issue" but rather one that requires multiple pronged solutions. And with all that said, I have zero tolerance for poachers....ZERO.

Oct 27, 2017
That's fucking terrible. I can't believe people are celebrating the fact that a lion might get indigestion from eating a giant asshole.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I can think of a lot of desperate things people have to do to survive. Stealing food for example. Prostitution. Killing...rhinos? Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
We had a thread about a boy who had to sell his Xbox and mow lawns in order to buy his mom a car and people talked about how sad it was that the kid even had resort to that in the first place, capitalist dystopia people called it, and yet the same sadness isn't shared here for some poor person who had to resort to such measures in order to survive.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I can think of a lot of desperate things people have to do to survive. Stealing food for example. Prostitution. Killing...rhinos? Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me.

As you sit here, without desperation, living comfortably at the expense of desperate people getting exploited, judging those who make life and death decisions daily.

Fuck this guy, right? He and his family shoulda been out sucking dick.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
As you sit here, without desperation, living comfortably at the expense of desperate people, judging those who make life and death decisions daily.

Fuck this guy, right? He shoulda been out sucking dick.

What's wrong with sucking dick? Is that supposed to be some homophobic bullshit?

Also, get off from that high horse of yours. What is wrong is wrong. It's intention vs impact. Also, can you kindly back up your claim that this person was making life and death decision out of sheer desperation, presumably to justify his actions?

And just so that I make myself abundantly clear, I would rather see these poachers be arrested and the system that enables poaching be eradicated like the vile filth that it is. However, if a person dies in the act of poaching, I would have far less sympathy for him than his family and his prey.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yes. There has been a defense of poaching here. There's posts like bringing up the impoverishment of the poachers and why they do what they do is necessary to survive. That's all not very well and good considering that there is absolutely no net positive for doing what they're doing and the consequences, believe it or not, affects us all.
Yes there is a net positive they get money because they're impoverished. And you only quoted one sentence of my entire post where I also explained the death of one hired worker won't affect the poaching trade one bit. Another desperate worker will quickly be brought in to replace him

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with sucking dick? Is that supposed to be some homophobic bullshit?

Also, get off from that high horse of yours. What is wrong is wrong. It's intention vs impact. Also, can you kindly back up your claim that this person was making life and death decision out of sheer desperation, presumably to justify his actions?

And just so that I make myself abundantly clear, I would rather see these poachers be arrested and the system that enables poaching be eradicated like the vile filth that it is. However, if a person dies in the act of poaching, I would have far less sympathy for him than his family and his prey.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with sucking dick. Nice straw man.
I said there's something wrong with people who are well off criticizing desperately poor people for doing what they what society pressures them to do to survive. There's something especially wrong with a poster, speaking from privilege, dictating what other forms of other poverty driven, often dignity robbing measures are acceptable.

How exactly am I the one on the high horse? I'm not the one who would lecture those who are most negatively impacted by the immorality of our society about morals.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunate situation.
What are you basing that assumption on?

Nevermind, found a linking backing it up:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.m...ral-poachers-in-africa-why-do-they-poach/amp/

Indeed, the study does show that poverty is a major driver of poaching. Close to half of the poachers (46 percent) considered their households as poor compared with other village households. These people poached for a longer period and more intensively than those living in average-income households.
Four in five villagers said they engaged in poaching for food or income. Almost all (96 percent) claimed that they would stop if they received income through other means to meet their needs.

But poverty was not the only driver, because over half of the poachers considered their household income as average compared to other villagers. These poachers had a higher proportion of income from non-poaching sources, such as cattle sales or outside employment, than households that considered themselves poor. They possessed more cattle, and a high proportion of them owned motorcycles, both of which enable alternative sources of income, yet they poached at levels on par with households that labeled themselves as poor.

Last edited:

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not well off, and I think basic human decency dictates that you shouldn't kill rhinos.

I'll ask my third graders tomorrow if they would kill a rhino. They're not well off either.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Do I have to feel sorry for someone who gets shot robbing a bank too?

You don't have to feel sorry for anyone... it's still shitty to sit behind a computer screen laughing at poverty stricken people who get eaten by lions while trying to survive in a environment ravaged by capitalism.

Last edited:

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I said there's something wrong with people who are well off criticizing desperately poor people for doing what they what society pressures them to do to survive. There's something especially wrong with a poster, speaking from privilege, dictating what other forms of other poverty driven, often dignity robbing measures are acceptable.
So basically never criticise any criminal act ever that could be borne out of economic hardship? That doesn't leave much then. I mean, even an assassin can be poor.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I didn't say there was anything wrong with sucking dick. Nice straw man.

How exactly am I the one on the high horse? I'm not the one judging poor people for being poor.

Firstly, who here is judging poor people for being poor?

Also, the indignities and injustices brought forth by inherent inequities present socio-economic systems is a harsh reality and there are "wrongs" contributing towards basic survival that can be justified on that front. Poaching populations of endangered species, put into that position by our progenitors and economic incentives, is orders of magnitude more serious a crime than common theft of say, food or water.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So basically never criticise any criminal act ever that could be borne out of economic hardship? That doesn't leave much then. I mean, even an assassin can be poor.
I think there's a lot of room between that and gleefully celebrating and joking about a man's death. That's what seems to be triggering people, and it's pretty disingenuous to frame that as saying all crimes and poaching is fine.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a lot of room between that and gleefully celebrating and joking about a man's death. That's what seems to be triggering people, and it's pretty disingenuous to frame that as saying all crimes and poaching is fine.
That's not what the poster I quoted said, though. I fully agree, celebrating this death is pretty weird to say the least. That doesn't mean I can't criticize rhino poaching, though, independent of the economic situation of the poacher. Also, that poaching in South Africa is predominately done by poor people is something a few posters in here vehemently object to.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Are you or your third graders living in poverty though?

No, we're all filthy rich. It's one of those posh schools where we just go on and on about not killing endangered animals. We have not a care in the world for the people who make their living slaughtering them. There's an entire lesson about bullfighters after recess. For this week's field trip, we plan to harass human traffickers.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
No, we're all filthy rich. It's one of those posh schools where we just go on and on about not killing endangered animals. We have not a care in the world for the people who make their living slaughtering them. There's an entire lesson about bullfighters after recess. For this week's field trip, we plan to harass human traffickers.
Odd that you lot end up being the reason for most of these animals being slaughtered

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
8lwaAvW.jpg

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Ya'll know nothing has changed right? This death isn't going to deter future poachers or the demand for ivory from rich people.

The dude was just a extremely poor guy trying to feed his family. There will be many others like him and who will also be asked to do the same thing for money so they can feed their families. So all ya'll just doing is laughing at a poor dead African that was stuck in a rock and a hard place.

Yes pouching sucks and it's unfortunate people are choosing to kill endangered animals for rich people in order to feed their families, but it's pretty gross some of ya'll or laughing and posting memes over this death.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Unecessary drive-by.
Ya'll know nothing has changed right? This death isn't going to deter future poachers or the demand for ivory from rich people.

The dude was just a extremely poor guy trying to feed his family. There will be many others like him and who will also be asked to do the same thing for money so they can feed their families. So all ya'll just doing is laughing at a poor dead African that was stuck in a rock and a hard place.

Yes pouching sucks and it's unfortunate people are choosing to kill endangered animals for rich people in order to feed their families, but it's pretty gross some of ya'll or laughing and posting memes over this death.
Nah as long as it's a black dude who's dead or dying it's hilarious apparently

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I mean it is a valid point. If its some rich asshole doing it, LOL & Fuck his family... Which i assumed from Title and title alone, but when its a rich guy it usually says "Big game hunter" or something else.

if its some dude that gets like a warm cup of beans and a Nike hat for killing it and turning it over to said wealthy asshole, yeah, sucks that poverty creates opportunities like this for people to have to do this for $.

Edit: Yeah, see right there.

Hes a poacher with 4 other hunters. Who were arrested...

Were the other hunters not poachers too?

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, who here is judging poor people for being poor?

Also, the indignities and injustices brought forth by inherent inequities present socio-economic systems is a harsh reality and there are "wrongs" contributing towards basic survival that can be justified on that front. Poaching populations of endangered species, put into that position by our progenitors and economic incentives, is orders of magnitude more serious a crime than common theft of say, food or water.

They use the money for securing food and shelter. Again, who are you to tell a desperately poor person that they must limit themselves to petty theft.

The whole reason poor people get into things like poaching is the mitigate the uncertainties around the availability of jobs, food, clothing, shelter etc.

The perceived severity of these crimes is going to vary with circumstance. Obviously poaching is horrific for the animals being poached. I'm not sure why a starving person would care more about the survival of an animal than the survival of his own family. And a victim of theft would probably prefer the animals were the target, especially if he himself is poor. It's impossible to objectively arrange these things in by order of magnitude. You personally just empathize more with the animals

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally would never celebrate or laugh at a human death. I think the Darwin Awards are grotesque, for example.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Most of the times these poachers are impoverished people from a local village, the people who involved with the animal smuggling trade (aka the people who deserve to be eaten by lions) aren't affected at all by this.

So yeah, I find the celebrations here kinda gross.
This.

Do people here actually think poachers would be doing an illegal and high-risk job if they actually had a decent job they can rely on? They're poor people whose last concern is the life of an animal. Can't believe the reactions here of celebrating the person's death. This isn't some white rich American going to the safari for fun and bringing home a trophy.

Probably the same people who decried about the 13 yo who had to do yard work to buy a car because it's "struggle" but the truly struggling poacher who lives in an impoverished continent thanks to America having to do illegal job and meeting his demise is somewhat "fantastic". Privileged 101 at its finest. Wait for them to defend themselves for that logic.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This.

Do people here actually think poachers would be doing an illegal and high-risk job if they actually had a decent job they can rely on? They're poor people whose last concern is the life of an animal. Can't believe the reactions here of celebrating the person's death. This isn't some white rich American going to the safari for fun and bringing home a trophy.

Probably the same people who decried about the 13 yo who had to do yard work to buy a car because it's "struggle" but the truly struggling poacher who lives in an impoverished continent thanks to America having to do illegal job and meeting his demise is somewhat "fantastic". Privileged 101 at its finest. Wait for them to defend themselves for that logic.

I think thats what most think, I hope. I was imagining someone like TrumpJR.

But if its the usual poaching scenario, yeah, sucks for that dude. Tough spot with no options generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.