• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I know it's not safe to go to the theaters and may not be for quite some time, but in my current rewatch of all of the MCU movies I really miss the experience. I'm almost done as I just started Infinity War, and that moment when Steve Rogers first appears and the music that accompanies it.... Just remembering the screams of excitement throughout the theater is ingrained in my head. And so many other moments throughout that movie, Endgame especially, and previous MCU films.

I hope it'll be safe to go again to experience the new movies coming up as I'd love to have these experiences again with Black Widow, Spider-Man: No Way Home and so forth.

Anyone else miss this? And what were some of your favorite theatrical MCU moments?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The only MCU movie I've watched in the theaters is Captain Marvel and the rest of the movies I've watched at home.

It was just me and my wife in the theater....on a Monday morning lol.

I prefer watching at home and dont really like when people scream/cheer/clap/react while I'm watching a movie.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I don't miss multiplexes, but I miss my local mall theatre smaller regional chain. It was nice and quiet, reclined seats all spaced out, cheap tickets.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't nothing like watching an MCU or Star Wars film with a bunch of fellow nerds on the first showing.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
The only MCU movie I've watched in the theaters is Captain Marvel and the rest of the movies I've watched at home.

It was just me and my wife in the theater....on a Monday morning lol.

I prefer watching at home and dont really like when people scream/cheer/clap/react while I'm watching a movie.
Same. But I do understand the appeal of the theme park-like experience that Scorsese described.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Ain't nothing like watching an MCU or Star Wars film with a bunch of fellow nerds on the first showing.
Nothing like it. And it isn't always who you'd expect. When I saw Force Awakens I was sitting next to a 70 something woman and her grandkids. And when Han Solo first appeared she screaming in joy. And later... In sorrow.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I'm not always the biggest fan of the MCU, but Christ would I kill to go see one on opening day right now.

For me it's hard to top the original MCU theater moment, Iron Man's stinger. Not just the surprise, but the potential, the absurd idea that they might try to string movies together and do an Avengers someday. People were absolutely buzzing.

Edit: TROS is a great one too. I was upset by the movie itself, but it was certainly one of the most memorable theatrical experiences of the last couple years.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
While I will keep watching them first in the theater when safe to do so, I grow to appreciate each MCU movie even more on repeat viewings at home. I think subtitles is a large part of that. I don't NEED them, but I personally retain plot and conversations way more when I can read the dialogue, so I put subs on on literally everything it's an option in. Personally disappointed it's not normalized in the theater.

but yeah, there's other things I miss about the theater. It's just kind of exciting, I get and agree with the appeal of a "magical event" or whatever. But snacks are stupid expensive, you can't pause to go to that bathroom, and sometimes you get a super obnoxious crowd. So overall, home > theater when forced to compare.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was literally watching theater reactions a few hours ago!

The Avengers Assemble scene still gives me fucking CHILLLSSSS

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend and I were watching Endgame opening night and when Clint's family got dusted the guy sitting next to her Gasped super dramatically and she bursted out laughing, was the only one laughing in the whole theater and it was pretty much dead silent reacting to him see his family dusted. Cracks me the hell up thinking about it lol.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I'm rewatching these movies right now and remembering all over again how up until like maybe Guardians, these movies are shallow, brainless, lowest common denominator Disney shit that entertained and not much more. I'm so glad Disney had almost learned its lesson before it got ahold of Star Wars.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The last MCU movie I saw in theaters was Iron Man 3. I fell off keeping up with the MCU sometime after that--was just kinda burned out and needed a break I guess--and didn't get a chance to catch back up with it until Disney+ happened. I was so excited about finally being totally up to date with it again and being able to experience the next films in theater! ...Then covid happened. 😔

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Yeah these dumb blockbuster movies are basically made to be watched in a packed theater.

Not much going for them if you watch at home.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I never got to see an MCU movie in theater and have had the chance to completely fall in love with it with Disney+. I'm ready for em to come back so I can have my first experience.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Black Widow might be the first MCU movie I don't see in theaters since Incredible Hulk, and the first I don't see opening weekend since Avengers in 2012.

Unless they delay these Phase 4 films or do a simultaneous release on Disney+, it's just the reality until I can be vaccinated in fall.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I can't imagine missing that part in theaters, for that moment we were all a kid again, going oh shit dude, holy shit! Trying not to get too emotional.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else miss this? And what were some of your favorite theatrical MCU moments?

Not particularly, but then in our area we just have typical digital screens. One of which has had a major blemish on the top for years too. Ever since 2016 movies have looked better in my home anyway, and since 2019, the FOV is pretty comparable. Audio wise, I prefer what I use as well compared to what our theater uses. If our screens and audio could be like the Cinemark XD stuff, then I might miss it somewhat.

And your mileage will vary greatly depending on who is in the room and who you're sitting next to. I had the pleasure of sitting next to someone in the D-Box section who was literally eating chips, nachos and candy, and crinkling the bags the entire running time when a friend and I went to the opening of The Force Awakens.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I was literally watching theater reactions a few hours ago!

The Avengers Assemble scene still gives me fucking CHILLLSSSS
This is crazy, I was also watching theater reactions a few days ago myself!

I watched the reactions after the Thanos snap. The fucking chills when we really thought Cap lost and then those portals came through was fucking wild.

I guess I'm getting excited that we may have a chance to not be scared of going to the movies later this year if most people get vaccinated.

I got to experience Black Panther, Infinity War, and Endgame, all on their opening weeks. The energy during those experiences is unforgettable and very special to me (especially Black Panther).

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
I gotta say, for the most part from my experience, the fans held tight on the spoilers too - I wasn't able to make it to opening weekend for both movies I don't think but man was it worth it when I got to enjoy it with it crowd

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will ever top the triple whammy of Black Panther, Infinity War, Endgame. We'll never have something again like that in our lives.

Just the end of Infinity War alone, a whole year of mourning for the characters and the way they got us to actually do that.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
endgame was on another level for live reactions. completely unreal seeing people literally jump out of their seats when cap wielded mjolnir, cheering on everyone returning like they were announcing the starting lineup of the showtime lakers, to theatre going dead silent and bawling when tony died. i dont know if well ever experience something quite like this again

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be at Black Widow day 1. Luckily here in Thailand we should be back to normal soon (though I live in the one COVID red zone in the country right now).

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I'm rewatching these movies right now and remembering all over again how up until like maybe Guardians, these movies are shallow, brainless, lowest common denominator Disney shit that entertained and not much more. I'm so glad Disney had almost learned its lesson before it got ahold of Star Wars.

Yeah something happened somewhere around phase 2 for sure. Going from Thor 2 >>> The Winter Soldier >>> Guardians of The Galaxy is like night and day. I think that's when the movies started to get their own identity.
Iron Man 3 was already better than 2, but Thor 2 is probably the worst MCU movie for me. So things only got better from there.

You can tell they took a little to get it all right but once they did, it was great. Phase 3 is hype as hell. Civil War is still my favorite Captain America (more like an Avengers movie but okay), Dr Strange is introduced, Spider-Man, Black Panther, both Avengers movies, the best Thor movie (by far). Things just get weak between both Avengers on phase 3 really...never cared much for Ant-Man. Captain Marvel was needed but it could've been better.

Phase One has the incredibly underrated Hulk, the first Iron Man aged really well, and i always loved the first Captain America movie plus the first Avengers movie. It had everything to go wrong...but boy did they get it right.

Oct 27, 2017
The separate clapping instances when black panther walked through the portal, and spidey dropped in, were real.

An audience invested in a movie can make a big difference. Sometimes a watch party is the thing you need.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love being a big noisey crowd for geeky movies like Star Wars and MCU. Stuff is just more hype when in a crowd of people sharing that same energy.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Infinity war and especially End Game will go down as one of my best movie experiences of all time. One of the few times the audience was vibing the right way. Laughed at the right points, stayed quiet during pivotal moments and loud, but not obnoxiously at massive moments.

On the flipside, Batman vs Superman was probably one of the worst experiences I've had .... Had this one group far off, that kept making all sorts of dumbass comments during the movie. I wasnt near them, but they kept shouting loudly despite everyone telling them to shut it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I have this thought every week as the Marvel into spins up before WandaVision. It's just become such a staple for me, I genuinely miss the cinema experience.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
There should be a TV app that mimics the theater experience by playing a recording of someone saying "what did he say" after every line then a hushed whisper of the line back, it could also include wrapper crinkling, nervous laughter/coughing to break the tension during high tension drama or horror movies, and even randomly obscure the screen or go bright white to simulate people walking in front of you or turning on the phone flashlights.

Don't get me wrong, good theater experiences are amazing and I miss those, but they were so few and far between, the gamble isn't worth it.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
i love theaters and the pandemic ripped away one of my favorite hobbies. day one shows with large crowds are always fun but after watching Endgame 14 times over about 3 weeks....week 3 crowd was just as hype and just as emotional. Same for Infinity War, credits rolled with the violin playing and i saw people in tears, others losing their shit.

i cant wait to get back to it.