• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

She's like a character Dee Reynolds from Always Sunny would come up with while on a drug bender.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the posting this, I immediately ran to Hulu and found it. I'm like 10 minutes in and it's hilarious/shocking.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The British version may be better as a whole, but THIS is the greatest episode of Kitchen Nightmares ever. No need to fake any animosity or controversy, as those two were truly fucked in the head.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I like the one where the dad stole his sons inheritance to save his restaurant and couldn't understand why said son hated him
That one goes a lot deeper, the inheritence came from the kid's grandparent was Australia biggest gangster

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Watching this now on YouTube and holy fuck, this woman is fucking insane

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
There was a 4Chan thread where they figured out the whole thing looked like a money laundering scheme. The fact that only the owners would enter sales into the register was a huge red flag.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I remember after this aired Amy continued to flip out on social media. It was amazing to follow. I think she even pulled the "hackers" excuse at some point.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the discussions on whether this or Piccolo Teatro from the original series was worse.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Amy's baking company was a delusional nuthouse and Sebastian was Dunning Kruger Effect condensed tighter than a neutron star.

The person I feel most for in this is Gordon, as much of an asshole as he can be sometimes he does have a huge heart and wants to see people succeed. The man is giving his time, effort and money to better people and they refuse to listen or are so stuck up their own ass they will never see light.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
There was another episode with very fishy owners. It was a burger kitchen and the owner was actually son of some mob boss too.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
There is a bakery near me with terrible yelp reviews and hardly any customers. There is never fresh bread, but always a bunch of unmarked vans pulling in and out when the place is closed. Pretty sure it has to be a mob front.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This thread has reminded me to watch the Dillon's episode, which I saw clips of but never had the intestinal fortitude to attempt to watch.
It's kind of amusing how there's always at least one supervisor who consistently ducks any level of responsibility despite their position, though it's most commonly the owner and that wasn't the case there.
I can only wonder though, if none of the kitchen staff can cook half the dishes, who the fuck came up with that menu?

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me if that restaurant was a laundering front. She had no business in a kitchen and her husband is worse.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder, out of all the restaurants that Gordon Ramsay visited and made an attempt to rescue the restaurant in Kitchen Nightmares, how many of them are still open as of 2019?

I know of at least one, Cafe Hon in Baltimore City, Gordon Ramsay visited Cafe Hon to rescue the restaurant after owner Denise Whiting made a highly unpopular move to actually register the term of endearment that's been used in Baltimore for decades "Hon" as a trademark and actually attempted to regulate the usage of "Hon" and that caused a significant drop in business:

But with Cafe Hon, Ramsay and the show's producers may find themselves at a business in need of a different kind of fix. The restaurant, a Hampden fixture since 1992, has been caught up in controversy since 2010, when Whiting trademarked the word "Hon" — a term of endearment in Baltimore for decades — and began attempts to regulate its use.

Reaction to the move was fierce. Critics have called out Whiting for claiming ownership of an idea, as well as a spirit, that predates her by generations. Picketers have targeted her businesses and the last Honfest, an annual summer festival Whiting started. They have urged people to boycott both the festival and the cafe.

In the Kitchen Nightmares episode, Gordon Ramsay managed to get Denise to cancel the trademark and ran a PR campaign in Baltimore to improve the image of Cafe Hon:

December 14, 2012

All's well at Cafe Hon, and Chef Gordon Ramsay is very pleased.

That was the message of Friday night's "Kitchen Nightmares" on Fox, as Ramsay revisited the Hampden eatery where he was instrumental in tamping down a war that had erupted over owner Denise Whiting's decision to trademark the word "Hon."

After recounting Ramsay's initial visit to the restaurant, in fall 2011, the segment got down to brass tacks. First, he stopped in to see MIX 106.5's JoJo and Reagan, who assured him that, as far as they knew, things were going just fine at Cafe Hon. The food was better, they said, the staff seemed happier -- the first piece portrayed them as primed for a full-scale revolt -- and the community seemed ready to let bygones be bygones, especially once Whiting made good on her promise to let go of the trademark.

From there, Ramsay went back to Cafe Hon. And while he's still clearly not a fan of the huge flamingo hanging outside, the visit was otherwise all hugs and kisses.

The restaurant was full. "You look terrific," Ramsay told a beaming Whiting. "It's a lot easier to work here now," one of her waitresses said. "I feel like you've given me my life back and my restaurant back," Whiting told Ramsay. City Councilmember Nick Mosby presented Whiting with a resolution, for being such a good citizen. And Whiting cooked Ramsay a guacamole burger, which he proclaimed "delicious."

Whiting admitted that her business fell off about 20 percent during the Great Trademark Brouhaha, but said people are coming back. "I really feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulder," she said to the camera. "I could be me again."

Cafe Hon as of 2019 is still open:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This was such a weird episode and one of the few that I felt actually worked with the terrible way the US version of the show is structured/filmed. If you're changing the show to be all about the crazy instead of what the UK show was like then you might as well go the whole way and find the craziest of crazy.

Funnily, youtube has somewhat redeemed the US version of the show for me. It's far more watchable when you're just watching the clips of the good bits and avoid all of the structure/editing/everything issues of the full episode.

I wonder, out of all the restaurants that Gordon Ramsay visited and made an attempt to rescue the restaurant in Kitchen Nightmares, how many of them are still open as of 2019?
Most of the UK ones are shut, or have been bought over since their shows aired because most of it was filmed pre-recession. I imagine a decent number of the US ones are still going. There used to be a blog that kept tabs on all of them but I dunno if it's still going.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

I know of at least one, Cafe Hon in Baltimore City, Gordon Ramsay visited Cafe Hon to rescue the restaurant after owner Denise Whiting made a highly unpopular move to actually register the term of endearment that's been used in Baltimore for decades "Hon" as a trademark and actually attempted to regulate the usage of "Hon" and that caused a significant drop in business:

In the Kitchen Nightmares episode, Gordon Ramsay managed to get Denise to cancel the trademark and ran a PR campaign in Baltimore to improve the image of Cafe Hon:

Cafe Hon as of 2019 is still open:

Don't know how accurate the list still is but there is this website.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
This was such a weird episode and one of the few that I felt actually worked with the terrible way the US version of the show is structured/filmed. If you're changing the show to be all about the crazy instead of what the UK show was like then you might as well go the whole way and find the craziest of crazy.

Funnily, youtube has somewhat redeemed the US version of the show for me. It's far more watchable when you're just watching the clips of the good bits and avoid all of the structure/editing/everything issues of the full episode.

Most of the UK ones are shut, or have been bought over since their shows aired because most of it was filmed pre-recession. I imagine a decent number of the US ones are still going. There used to be a blog that kept tabs on all of them but I dunno if it's still going.

I remember reading a while back that it was around 40% but that number is probably outdated now.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I remember when they came on Dr. Phil after they became famous and Amy said that people were calling them and asking if they had Battletoads 😂😂

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, the American version just screams fake to me, overproduced is one thing but so much of it just looks like bad/fake staging.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
That hack taking tips intended for the server was one of the most pathetic things I've seen on this show.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Honestly Amy's Baking Company is kind of small potatoes compared to the nightmare that was Mangia Mangia. Amy's was probably most noteworthy to outsiders for the aggressive attitude they took to their own customers. Mangia Mangia was straight up disturbing on every level, right down to the interpersonal relations between the people who were working there; at least the wait staff at ABC were all quite aware of the mess they were in.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
The whole episode Ramsay looked absolutely pissed at how he was wasting his time. It's legendary.

I dunno, the American version just screams fake to me, overproduced is one thing but so much of it just looks like bad/fake staging.

While this is generally true for Gordon's US shows, (Kitchen Nightmares UK was far better and I wish Ramsay would bring it back with the more documentary style feel) these people were the rare example where it was real. They are actual ex-criminals and crazy people, so it made for excellent reality tv.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
This is definitely in my top 5 of Kitchen Nightmares.

Absolutely insane.

I've never seen the UK stuff though. I would but there doesn't seem to be a way to stream it, although I'm not looking hard enough, I suppose.
I like the one where the dad stole his sons inheritance to save his restaurant and couldn't understand why said son hated him
Yep, that was Burger Kitchen.

He was also caught leaving himself a ton of fake reviews on Yelp for his restaurant in one of the two part episodes.
That one goes a lot deeper, the inheritence came from the kid's grandparent was Australia biggest gangster
There was another episode with very fishy owners. It was a burger kitchen and the owner was actually son of some mob boss too.
Burger Kitchen is in my top 5. Shit is WILD.

"I'm Polish, mushrooms are very important to me."

One of the greatest lines I've ever heard in my life. Shit had to be rehearsed or something.
Except wasn't she actually a really good baker?
Yup. Her desserts were good, but all the rest wasn't.
Honestly Amy's Baking Company is kind of small potatoes compared to the nightmare that was Mangia Mangia. Amy's was probably most noteworthy to outsiders for the aggressive attitude they took to their own customers. Mangia Mangia was straight up disturbing on every level, right down to the interpersonal relations between the people who were working there; at least the wait staff at ABC were all quite aware of the mess they were in.
Mangia Mangia was insane. The meth addict chef who attacked the owner's daughter? Shiiiiiiit

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen the UK stuff though. I would but there doesn't seem to be a way to stream it, although I'm not looking hard enough, I suppose.
There's not an actual streaming service, but if you hop on Youtube, you can find a lot of the UK ones, the full episodes, not just clips.

Obviously, not the most optimal, but if you're really craving to watch some of them.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely in my top 5 of Kitchen Nightmares.

Absolutely insane.

Burger Kitchen is in my top 5. Shit is WILD.

"I'm Polish, mushrooms are very important to me."

One of the greatest lines I've ever heard in my life. Shit had to be rehearsed or something.

Yup. Her desserts were good, but all the rest wasn't.

Mangia Mangia was insane. The meth addict chef who attacked the owner's daughter? Shiiiiiiit
Let me ask your honest opinion. Burger kitchen, the son and his girlfriend, meth or coke?