• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Small droids without limbs (with hands) like R2 and BB-8? When?
I think it's probably a waste of time to bother providing evidence given your propensity to keep digging and twisting and not doing your own homework, but here's an R4 unit flying a fighter from Revenge of the Sith:

And if you aren't a fan of the PT like me, lets go back to the holy grail ESB where R2D2 offers to fly the ship:

Artoo utters a soft, carefully phrased steam of whistles.

LUKE: (into comlink) Yes, R2?
R2 utters a soft, carefully phrased steam of whistles.
LUKE: (into comlink, chuckling) That's all right. I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while.
The little droid lets out a defeated whimper. Luke smiles, and continues on his course.
http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/esb_4th.txt

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you saw this and an R2 unit was in the driver's seat, you would think, "That's perfectly in line with Star Wars?"
We have seen R2 units fly ships in canon..so absolutely. Yes!

Alright Uncle Squingis

These are random and off the top of my head and I put zero effort into this, if I tried 1/4th as hard as you did I am sure I could think of 200 that apply to ESB lol.

Isn't it convenient that with only a few hours to live in a massive snow storm Han finds Luke just in the nick of time?

Isn't it convenient that the Falcon which has had trouble starting and going to light speed is able to kick its power on just in the nick of time before Vader and the Snow-troopers get there in time to stop it?

Isn't it convenient that having only "Dagobah system" to go on Luke crash lands right outside Yoda's hut?

Isn't it convenient that with the Falcon having no working hyperdrive and stuck with no way for any long term travel they are in the vast galaxy within close distance to his old pal Lando who he won the Falcon from?

Isn't it convenient that Chewie stumbles upon the Threepio scraps just before it gets thrown into the incinerator?

Isn't it convenient that Luke having nothing but a vision knows exactly where Han and Leia are?

Isn't it convenient than when Luke throws himself to his death he some how lands perfectly to fall down a tube and hook onto a weather vane instead of plummeting to his death?

Isn't it convenient that Leia is able to for the first time use the Force and be able to get the Falcon to Luke just in time before be falls off?

I LOVE ESB, I am just showing you how stupid this game of yours is and that it can be easily applied to every other Star Wars film.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
My pathetic, redundant two cents on TLJ: pretty much everything deep in the sphere of Rey, Kylo, and Luke is great. Everything else... is less so. I like the movie overall because I view the former as its heart.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018
I think it's probably a waste of time to bother providing evidence given your propensity to keep digging and twisting and not doing your own homework, but here's an R4 unit flying a fighter from Revenge of the Sith:

I guess that's sorta like an autopilot, just flying straight up back to a ship? I didn't remember that, but it's not really equivalent. This droid is already in the ship. In TLJ, we're meant to believe a ball climbed up 20 feet, opened a hatch, then turned the funs back and forth, shooting storm troopers with precision. Then Finn and Rose jump on it and it sprints to the shuttle.

It's so weird to me that some people watched the BB-8 scene and didn't lol at it. It's like a 10 year old wrote it.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's sorta like an autopilot, just flying straight up back to a ship? I didn't remember that, but it's not really equivalent. This droid is already in the ship. In TLJ, we're meant to believe a ball climbed up 20 feet, opened a hatch, then turned the funs back and forth, shooting storm troopers with precision. Then Finn and Rose jump on it and it sprints to the shuttle.

It's so weird to me that some people watched the BB-8 scene and didn't lol at it. It's like a 10 year old wrote it.

It's almost as if this was built originally for children to enjoy...

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea that a film series with a man who shoots lightening out of his fingers and wizards with magical powers is a'ok but the idea of a robot piloting a vehicle is s shocking offense against logic lol.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate TLJ as much as anyone, but how is a robot piloting a vehicle seeming unrealistic? We have auto pilot in our own universe....

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Alright Uncle Squingis

These are random and off the top of my head and I put zero effort into this, if I tried 1/4th as hard as you did I am sure I could think of 200 that apply to ESB lol.

Isn't it convenient that with only a few hours to live in a massive snow storm Han finds Luke just in the nick of time?

Isn't it convenient that the Falcon which has had trouble starting and going to light speed is able to kick its power on just in the nick of time before Vader and the Snow-troopers get there in time to stop it?

Isn't it convenient that having only "Dagobah system" to go on Luke crash lands right outside Yoda's hut?

Isn't it convenient that with the Falcon having no working hyperdrive and stuck with no way for any long term travel they are in the vast galaxy within close distance to his old pal Lando who he won the Falcon from?

Isn't it convenient that Chewie stumbles upon the Threepio scraps just before it gets thrown into the incinerator?

Isn't it convenient that Luke having nothing but a vision knows exactly where Han and Leia are?

Isn't it convenient than when Luke throws himself to his death he some how lands perfectly to fall down a tube and hook onto a weather vane instead of plummeting to his death?

Isn't it convenient that Leia is able to for the first time use the Force and be able to get the Falcon to Luke just in time before be falls off?

I LOVE ESB, I am just showing you how stupid this game of yours is and that it can be easily applied to every other Star Wars film.
Good post. Ppl are blind to anything from the OT. I could add a lot more to you're list of conviniences

Jan 3, 2018

Alright Uncle Squingis

You're right, you spent no effort on this. ;)

Some things you would consider conveniences I wouldn't, either because they are earned or because the characters struggle for the payoff, and other things are legit, but the execution is well-done enough for it not to negatively affect the movie.

Whereas the writing and execution in TLJ is sometimes so contrived that I have to roll my eyes, like when the big star destroyer is torn apart, but it ONLY benefits Rey, Finn, and Rose, despite Finn and Rose being completely surrounded by storm troopers. I mean did we need a legion of storm troopers? Give us Phasma and 2 storm troopers and automatically I roll my eyes 90% less. In TLJ's script, there's so much stuff crammed into it that some things need to happen so fast (like Rey stealing Snoke's ship, and then suddenly being back in the Millenium Falcon somehow) because if more time was spent on them, the movie would be 4 hours long.

Jan 3, 2018
I admire you guys still responding to Uncle Squingis. It's like playing tennis against a wall.

This is an excellent description

Pot calling the kettle black? :)

In all seriousness, I honestly do respect the movie more now than I used to thanks to a few members of the TLJ Defense Force (and I hate them for it :P ). I stand by most of my arguments, and I don't think I'll ever like the movie, but I at least relate to your point of view more than I used to.

Last edited:

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017

You are straight up rejecting hard, on-screen evidence relevant to your question. Way to prove my point that it was a waste of time, oh my god. I'm not even sure if I can argue that you are moving goalposts because, well, are there even goalposts?

Like, you are wondering how a ball could climb up and get in, but if I posted a picture showing the AT-STs sitting right next to loading platforms with stairs and ramps and their hatches already open and easily accessible you'd just be on some other nonsensical nitpick.

Again, you are free to think it is dumb, but this foray into nitpicking is a total waste of time.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pot calling the kettle black? :)

In all seriousness, I honestly do respect the movie more now than I used to thanks to a few members of the TLJ Defense Force (and I hate them for it :P ). I stand by most of my arguments, and I don't think I'll ever like the movie, but I at least relate to your point of view more than I used to.
Like I said, you are throwing shit at a wall and hoping something sticks, and when people call you out for it, you devolve even further into childish labels.

You're a terrible poster and I'm done seeing your nonsense.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Luke is a hero. The Last Jedi is a piece of shit that will shortly be retconned to the dumpster where it belongs. This thread is welcome to join it.
gollum.gif

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
if anyone wonders why most people that like TLJ cant take tlj haters seriously just look at uncle squifelfpuf post history.

also all of the original trilogy is founded on a bullshit super hyper mega convienient moment.

ah an escape pod just launched, ["there is no signs of life", oh cool let it go then.

NO MOFO, BLOW UP THAT SHIT AND MAKE SURE

Jan 3, 2018
if anyone wonders why most people that like TLJ cant take tlj haters seriously just look at uncle squifelfpuf post history.

this argument i keep reading and reading and not only about TLJ but about a lot of movies too

"the only reason that happened was because the plot demanded it"

NO FUCKING SHIT SHERLOCK IS A FUCKING WORK OF FICTION.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

This is a big one. How did the Falcon travel all the way to the Noad system (I think that was the name) without a working hyperdrive?

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
A depressive and suicidal Luke is not a good portray of the character. Also a Luke that just walk away abandoning his friends and family already is a bad take from TFA. This new trilogy had plenty of flawed premises.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

also all of the original trilogy is founded on a bullshit super hyper mega convienient moment.

ah an escape pod just launched, ["there is no signs of life", oh cool let it go then.

NO MOFO, BLOW UP THAT SHIT AND MAKE SURE
Exactly, TLJ haters just hate out of spite not out of any real solid reason, based on past lore.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone seems to be talking about BB8 but going back to the original post, Luke Skywalker does share a few things across both trilogies. To me Luke Skywalker from Episode 8 felt like Luke from the original trilogy, especially the scene with Yoda. It was like I was watching a scene from the original trilogy where a naive Luke Skywalker is being mentored by a wise Jedi master. So in that sense, Rian did right.

The issue I have, is Episode 7 was about finding the main character from the original trilogy and setting up Episode 8 for his heroic return. The whole plot revolved around trying to find Luke Skywalker so he can come back and defeat The First Order. Then after people have their hopes up he's just drinking alien milk in the grossest of ways possible and some grumpy old hermit. It was anti climatic, I guess it's like meeting some celebrity and realising that person is a **** to their fans. It leaves a bitter taste. That's not what people had been looking forward to for the past several years when Mark Hamill's return was announced.

EDIT: Look at Han Solo, that was great and handled well, so is Leia, space flight and all.

Last edited:

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
lol I love that because Finn's reaction is straight up "What is this girl's deal?"

Reminds me of Les Misérables where Eponine finally professes her love to Marius as she dies in his arms and he's just like "Ok uhh idk what that was all about"

has anyone ever mentioned how Finn gets red demon eyes after she kisses him? who is the idiot who did post on this scene

They probably only had this one take. But I'm puzzled at te decision to add the laser in post at that moment. It is straight up comedic. Somedoby must've said something.

It'd be kind of awesome, but terrible, but awesome, if Rian Johnson intentionally made this movie the "Freddy Got Fingered" of the SW universe. Making a movie that gave the middle finger to the production studio without them realizing it and intentionally pushing the franchise off the pedestal he thought it did not deserve to stand on. That'd be a subversion worth of a Sith Lord.

monome

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They probably only had this one take. But I'm puzzled at te decision to add the laser in post at that moment. It is straight up comedic. Somedoby must've said something.

It'd be kind of awesome, but terrible, but awesome, if Rian Johnson intentionally made this movie the "Freddy Got Fingered" of the SW universe. Making a movie that gave the middle finger to the production studio without them realizing it and intentionally pushing the franchise off the pedestal he thought it did not deserve to stand on. That'd be a subversion worth of a Sith Lord.

I think Lucasfilm had « contingencies » (regarding subtexts) in place before they brought in the Dude who became famous for a thrown slice of pizza

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this really doesn't work when it was a critically acclaimed movie and is one of the most beloved films in the franchise by the fanbase. Certainly more loved by the fanbase than ROTJ, TFA, or any of the prequels.

Even TLJ haters can't deny that critics loved TLJ and there is a large part of the fandom that thinks TLJ is one of the best, if not the best, film in the franchise.

How does this fit into this theory of yours?

And if he wanted to give the middle finger.....why is he making 3 more?

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he has four hands
If he is giving the middle finger where did Lucasfilm clearly love working with him and he does the fanbase consistently pick TLJ as a census top 3 Star Wars film?

Top 2 here are ESB and TLJ. Top two recently at the biggest Star Wars forum TFN were also somehow....ESB and TLJ.

The idea that many or most fans hate TLJ....has been proven massively false time and time again. The standing ovation for Kellie Marie Tran this last weekend was the nail in the coffin on that.