• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Every MCU movie after Infinity War will be a letdown.

It's the pinnacle of the MCU and can not be topped on any level.

CM was ok, but it felt like it should have been done before Infinity War, like the others.

Infinity War is the cutoff for new heroes and origin stories and this one came in too late for me.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

CM was ok, but it felt like it should have been done before Infinity War, like the others.

Infinity War is the cutoff for new heroes and origin stories and this one came in too late for me.

What about Endgame?

Oct 25, 2017

Winter Soldier was actually the pinnacle and yet Infinity War was not a let down though.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't put stock into anyone who says CM had pacing issues, they're just not accustomed to seeing a Marvel movie not follow the traditional linear/chronological story telling path. Many other movies take similar approaches and they're not slammed with "pacing" critiques

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

I've been saying this for the longest. Anything between IW and EG was always going to be a letdown because the only burning question that matters is what the hell is happening after the snap? It was a mistake to release CM after IW, same with AaTW.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been avoiding talking about CM just because of how charged it seems. The first trailer got me hyped because I loved the score of that trailer (that wasn't used at all). I like the CM character type and I was excited for Brie do do the character because she could nail the banter in a character that would be captain super-iron-america-woman. A leader like cap, a charismatic joker like tony, all with the power-ish of supes. I think the casting was great and I think Brie's execution of the script was great. I especially like her belly flopping the ship and the on screen chemistry between her and Fury. The thing I didn't like is it felt like it had the stakes of Thor 1 but with even less character arc. I expected (from some of the opening scenes) an arc of unquestioning loyalty and dependence to challenging authority and flexing independence. In implementation though it seems like she was always questioning authority and always independent. Which is cool but no growth. That can work though like it did in Cap 1 as he was always a sacrificing hero type. His only arc was defying just being a patriotic symbol to actually fighting, which isn't much. Really the only thing they showcase in cap one is his selflessness like the grenade scene and the climax. Which is what I was expecting with CM but the only things they do to display heroics is say that she was always heroic. The closest they come to showing it is her turning to defend the skrulls, but that seems like such an obvious choice that there is nothing particularly heroic about it. She decides to go against the people that enslaved her and are extinguishing innocent people. That's as obvious as a choice of saying hydra is bad. The other thing is that there is no threat. Not even a partial threat. The closest they get is a few seconds of threatening Monica. That's it. The big bad warship threat comes up and she just trashes them and they leave after a few minutes. No one poses any kind of threat at all.

What brings me to it being ok is that it is a perfectly good enough introduction movie. I think Brie is still great casting that will make CM better than her comic counterpart. What I'm more excited about is what other writers/directors will do with Brie Cap. Will it be the Russo's? I'm not sure. They will make her cooler with better action and getting her personality to shine hopefully as she will nail the marvel banter as CM. Thinking back though I can't really remember a woman character that the Russo's did really well. So far I think Taika and Coogler have been the best at implementing women, though that probably has more to do with script than direction.
Over all the movie truly feels like the pilot episode to a 10-episode Marvel show.

Deleted member 29806

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany

Sounds like Infinity War ruined MCU. Luckily I don't care that much about that and enjoy not perfect not Avenger origin movies even more.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You are definitely not the target age for this. You're likely 2 decades too old. I think part of what captain marvel wanted to do was give girls another option than dreaming of bring a fucking Disney Princess and instead can be a super hero of their own.
I don't know why I'm getting such flak. Either I was unclear or people aren't reading my post. I was very specifically talking about the NOSTALGIA OF THE 90s THAT IS TOTALLY GOING AFTER 90s KIDS was a bit too much, and honestly a pretty minor complaint and even a minor part of the movie. Captain Marvel isn't the only recent media doing this, apparently Pen15 on Netflix is all about 90s nostalgia, and some local bars have 90s nights. Some older movies are filled with 80s nostalgia that is mostly lost on me, since I wasn't an 80s kid.

If you wanna make a solid argument on why they included the Blockbuster scene specifically for 13 year old girls I'm all ears though.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty mediocre movie and I'm starting to get to the point where I rather just read the Wikipedia pages for these movies. Ant man and the wasp was equally forgettable.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know why I'm getting such flak. Either I was unclear or people aren't reading my post. I was very specifically talking about the NOSTALGIA OF THE 90s THAT IS TOTALLY GOING AFTER 90s KIDS was a bit too much, and honestly a pretty minor complaint and even a minor part of the movie. Captain Marvel isn't the only recent media doing this, apparently Pen15 on Netflix is all about 90s nostalgia, and some local bars have 90s nights. Some older movies are filled with 80s nostalgia that is mostly lost on me, since I wasn't an 80s kid.

If you wanna make a solid argument on why they included the Blockbuster scene specifically for 13 year old girls I'm all ears though.

My nieces are both 14. 90s culture is ridiculously popular and i don't know if it is regional or just that age group. They both wear nirvana shirts all the time listen to 90s music and love all the tv shows onset in that era. You also see it represented in fashion for that group with the colors and cut of clothes being popular again.

So not blockbuster specific but the costumes, music, etc are likely playing into the same thing.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
That's your opinion. This is a forum, and I can make any thread I want within the confines of the TOS.

Compare and Contrast is a valid form of criticism that has been around for a long time. I can compare the movie to an apple if I want. It wouldn't be a useful form of criticism but I can do it. For all you that are insulted when people dislike what you like, I don't know what to tell you. I have one guy here shit on me for changing my opinion on the movie after watching another film. Yet he did the exact same thing in the "which is the better origin story" thread. So I guess some of you can do it.

When I go see an MCU film I expect a certain level of quality, tone, and story. Captain Marvel failed to live to that. That's it. If you have nothing to contribute to the conversation in a civil manner, and if you don't want to find out more about why I have that view of the movie, then go read other threads.
You still haven't answered my question. You posted that the film was a massive disappointment in your earlier review in the main thread. So making a thread where you repeat the same things is changing your opinion? How exactly has it changed? You stated as a reply to me that you originally felt that the film was a 7/10. However, that score doesn't at all reflect why you originally stated about how you felt after watching the film. Your comment about how Venom was a terrible film, and yet you still enjoyed it more than CM, proves that you didn't score this a 7/10, and only now after rewatching GotG score it lower.

So again, how exactly did your opinion on this film change from what you originally posted?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guardians is probably the best written Marvel film (yes, above the Avengers films). It's subversive, clever, funny.

Captain Marvel is fun enough and has a good cast, but the script is kind of weak and fairly straight laced, which after 2048 other superhero origin movies is never going to have the same bite. It's a matter of timing, CM is about as good as many gen 1 Marvel films, but by now that style/scope of film feels a bit tired.

Things like Deadpool (which I enjoyed more than any MCU film) and Guardians shake up the formula to feel fresher.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Guardians is great and doesnt make Captain any less great. Theres such a tons of stuff in the movie thats good and sure, its not for everybody, but thats not really the point, it was a movie that really connected with a lot of us for its own merits and Brie Larsons performance was one of them

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
That's your opinion. This is a forum, and I can make any thread I want within the confines of the TOS.

Compare and Contrast is a valid form of criticism that has been around for a long time. I can compare the movie to an apple if I want. It wouldn't be a useful form of criticism but I can do it. For all you that are insulted when people dislike what you like, I don't know what to tell you. I have one guy here shit on me for changing my opinion on the movie after watching another film. Yet he did the exact same thing in the "which is the better origin story" thread. So I guess some of you can do it.

When I go see an MCU film I expect a certain level of quality, tone, and story. Captain Marvel failed to live to that. That's it. If you have nothing to contribute to the conversation in a civil manner, and if you don't want to find out more about why I have that view of the movie, then go read other threads.

These are the points I'd make.

1) There is a Captain Marvel OT where you could air these grievances of yours, we didn't need another arena for your to get heavy handed with your opinions on the film.

2) Compare and contrast is a valid form of criticism so long as it has merit in the comparison, as you pointed out. These are two wildly different stories with wildly different tones, focus, and purpose. The movies have little in common beyond being Marvel films, and being in space (and in the case of Captain Marvel, that's only the case for a small portion of the film). Your comparison has less merit because you're comparing elements of a film you like that were a focus to elements of a film that don't really exist because they aren't important to the story.

Captain Marvel didn't need "scale" because that wasn't the focus of the film. The focus was literally Carol and her journey to discover the truth, which largely takes place on Earth. There's no need for "scale" here, because scale isn't important to the plot or the origin story. So the comparison made doesn't really have much merit in the realm of group discussion on opinions.

3) It was very clear from the start of the thread that you weren't even remotely interested in discussing the film, only in finding others who agreed with you. If that wasn't your goal, you wouldn't have condescendingly stated "If you enjoyed the movie, good for you." You didn't invite discussion, you invited confrontation. If you wanted to have discussion, you wouldn't write off literally everyone with a different opinion from your own.

I just don't feel you enjoyed the movie at all, and the "I changed my mind" is more or less a smoke screen that wasn't even necessary.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know...GotG is the only MCU movie to make me cringe like crazy. The humour is an acquired taste as well because I found it to be forced and shoehorned into scenes.

I vastly preferred CM.

OP
OP
lasthope106

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
You still haven't answered my question. You posted that the film was a massive disappointment in your earlier review in the main thread. So making a thread where you repeat the same things is changing your opinion? How exactly has it changed? You stated as a reply to me that you originally felt that the film was a 7/10. However, that score doesn't at all reflect why you originally stated about how you felt after watching the film. Your comment about how Venom was a terrible film, and yet you still enjoyed it more than CM, proves that you didn't score this a 7/10, and only now after rewatching GotG score it lower.

So again, how exactly did your opinion on this film change from what you originally posted?

My opinion changed for the worse as I stated repeatedly. I don't need to give a score right now to Venom as I don't feel that adds anything to the conversation. All I know is that at the time I watched Venom I thought it was poor in comparison to the better superhero movies of the past decade. As you yourself stated that your opinion of WW changed when you watched CM, so did mine of CM when I watched Guardians 1. What you seem to be focusing on to "win" your argument is that my post in the OT was the same as in this thread. Yes I can see why you would say that. My comments in the OT were all negative criticisms. What I should have done is list some of the aspects of the movie that I enjoyed, and some of the aspects that I was giving a pass on. Maybe that would help you see how my opinion changed.

These are the points I'd make.

1) There is a Captain Marvel OT where you could air these grievances of yours, we didn't need another arena for your to get heavy handed with your opinions on the film.

2) Compare and contrast is a valid form of criticism so long as it has merit in the comparison, as you pointed out. These are two wildly different stories with wildly different tones, focus, and purpose. The movies have little in common beyond being Marvel films, and being in space (and in the case of Captain Marvel, that's only the case for a small portion of the film). Your comparison has less merit because you're comparing elements of a film you like that were a focus to elements of a film that don't really exist because they aren't important to the story.

Captain Marvel didn't need "scale" because that wasn't the focus of the film. The focus was literally Carol and her journey to discover the truth, which largely takes place on Earth. There's no need for "scale" here, because scale isn't important to the plot or the origin story. So the comparison made doesn't really have much merit in the realm of group discussion on opinions.

3) It was very clear from the start of the thread that you weren't even remotely interested in discussing the film, only in finding others who agreed with you. If that wasn't your goal, you wouldn't have condescendingly stated "If you enjoyed the movie, good for you." You didn't invite discussion, you invited confrontation. If you wanted to have discussion, you wouldn't write off literally everyone with a different opinion from your own.

I just don't feel you enjoyed the movie at all, and the "I changed my mind" is more or less a smoke screen that wasn't even necessary.

I disagree with the point of the two movies being too different to compare. They take place in the same universe. They are part of the same story. And share characters, mainly Ronan. I believe you should be able to compare them.

I added the "if you enjoyed the movie then good for you" with the opposite intention as to avoid confrontation. Guess that rubbed people the wrong way. Also, there are people that have posted things that I didn't consider, and made me think and evaluate why my views on the film. So no, I was not hoping to hear only people who shared the same opinion.

Popcicle

Unbroken Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Loved it, been saying I want to go back to the theatres to see it again. Like many have said, it had quiet subtley in parts, and bombastic action in others and the lead-up and wind-downs felt natural and earned.

It felt like a different kind of film the MCU doesn't normally do likewise which is just what I would expect from these films now, a diversity of direction and style, and I got it in spades.

Also for people like my wife who normally doesn't enjoy any Marvel films, it was a breath of fresh air, and for people like my daughter, it was inspiring and encouraging.

Of course, everyone has different opinions on things, but I couldn't be much more pleased with how Captain Marvel turned out.

One other thing, what's with all the dumping on Ant-Man??? That movie was awesome and one of my top MCU films. Doesn't have to be your favorite but bottom tier? Get outta here with that nonsense.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guardians is not the "average tier Marvel film" ... it's probably the best one in terms of writing, so you're comparing to the high water mark.

There's no shame in not being as good as Guardians 1, most Marvel films aren't (including I would say Avengers Infinity War).

You're limited in what you can do in more "straight laced" comic book films ... Guardians, especially Deadpool etc. which are more based on comedy and "smart ass" lead characters can push the envelope further and go to different places.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Like many have said, it had quiet subtley in parts, and bombastic action in others and the lead-up and wind-downs felt natural and earned.

It felt like a different kind of film the MCU doesn't normally do likewise which is just what I would expect from these films now, a diversity of direction and style, and I got it in spades.

Captain Marvel has like, all the low-key "superheroes doing mundane shit or just talking about stuff" that I want more of and you only rarely get in like, Age of Ultron or Guardians 2. I really want more scenes like Carol & Fury doing the dishes together.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
I think it's ultimately forgettable and that it didn't deliver on much of what many praise it for. The pacing is all over the place and I didn't really find myself caring about who she was in the past. I wanted to know what she brings to the Avengers that's memorable, character-wise. If I imagine up a scenario where a villain is doing a thing, I can generally picture how Thor, Captain America, the Guardians, and Iron Man would handle the situation and be entertaining while doing so.

I left the theater feeling like I didn't know much more about her than I did when I walked in. I learned how she got her powers and why she wasn't around for the events of the other films in the franchise, but nothing made me think "Oh hey, that's classic Captain Marvel right there. I can't wait to see that kind of attitude in Endgame."

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"Guys I didn't get the theme of the movie and there wasnt as much action as in a completely different film with a completely different tone."

A+ criticism OP. Is thread your resume for cinemasins?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Each relationship had emotional resonance with me so I can't say I agree here.

Actual Question: Do you think one of the reasons why the themes of abuse resonated so deeply in certain demographics (women, also known as the main demographic) while others didn't see it at all was because the themes are coded specifically to women? Yon-Rogg's abuse seems to be obvious to some because it's derogatory nature hidden under false kindness is something many women are unfortunately experienced with but for men who don't have to deal with it are more oblivious. It might also explain why we keep getting threads going "I don't see the themes you speak of".

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Actual Question: Do you think one of the reasons why the themes of abuse resonated so deeply in certain demographics (women, also known as the main demographic) while others didn't see it at all was because the themes are coded specifically to women? Yon-Rogg's abuse seems to be obvious to some because it's derogatory nature hidden under false kindness is something many women are unfortunately experienced with but for men who don't have to deal with it are more oblivious. It might also explain why we keep getting threads going "I don't see the themes you speak of".
I'm a guy and they were pretty obvious to me.

And men experience domestic abuse, especially emotional abuse, as well. Maybe not as commonly as women but I don't know the statistics on prevalence.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Made by two different directors, of course it's going with a different vibes

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'm a guy. It seems pretty plainly apparent what was happening.

Like I'm not surprised some people seemingly didn't pick up on it, but I think the argument that it's not actually there is some bullshit.

I think back to watching Get Out with white people and them not getting the nuances of some pretty brazen language that was being presented to them...

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The film was average. I'd rate it above Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk and the first two Thors. I like Ant-man and Dr. Strange so have to disagree this is better than those. At least those two films were entertaining.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I totally agree with OP in that GotG is a much better film in a lot of ways. I think people will mellow on Captain Marvel when the dust settles.

Like Black Panther, Captain Marvel rode a powerful cultural wave due to what it represents for a lot of people. The difference is that Black Panther had a stronger story and filmmaking prowess driving it to justify the enthusiasm, and I don't feel that way about the later. I don't dislike Captain Marvel, it's about on par with Guardians 2, Thor 2, or Iron Man 2 for me. Somewhere in there.

I personally enjoyed Alita more and I wasn't expecting that. Though neither are hallmarks of cinema by any means. After everything though, I'll always look back at Ben Mendelsohn's role in Captain Marvel as one of its defining elements; it was a fine portrayal with a great balance of heart, humor, and with a touch of menace.

I do like the Captain Marvel character and look forward to seeing her in Endgame.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Loved it, been saying I want to go back to the theatres to see it again. Like many have said, it had quiet subtley in parts, and bombastic action in others and the lead-up and wind-downs felt natural and earned.

Also for people like my wife who normally doesn't enjoy any Marvel films, it was a breath of fresh air, and for people like my daughter, it was inspiring and encouraging.

Of course, everyone has different opinions on things, but I couldn't be much more pleased with how Captain Marvel turned out.

One other thing, what's with all the dumping on Ant-Man??? That movie was awesome and one of my top MCU films. Doesn't have to be your favorite but bottom tier? Get outta here with that nonsense.

I agree with you about Ant-man. It is a funny and entertaining film. Ant-man and The Wasp wasn't as good as the first film , but it was still better than Captain Marvel.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

100% along with men who have suffered the abuse that Carol suffered

But it's no coincidence that one of the first line uttered to Carol on Earth is that she should smile

DvergrBlod

Oct 26, 2017
To me Captain Marvel is one of the best in MCU. I just enjoyed it so much and Larson was great. And I would love to see more of Jackson/Larson duo.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Captain Marvel received middling critical reviews. All the reasons why are out there. Yet, an average to good movie has a lot of people who went to the film and liked it. So why is there these one off "I didn't like a Captain Marvel" threads popping up?

Like, okay. Some people did. Your reasons why aren't particularly unique, so what discussion are you trying to foster?

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet so can't comment on that part, but -

Guardians of the Galaxy is the best MCU movie period, and is one of the few that will be looked back on long-term as an all-time great film all on its own. (Winter Solder, IM1, Avengers 1 are also up there).

And I say that as a huge MCU fan.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel received middling critical reviews. All the reasons why are out there. Yet, an average to good movie has a lot of people who went to the film and liked it. So why is there these one off "I didn't like a Captain Marvel" threads popping up?

Like, okay. Some people did. Your reasons why aren't particularly unique, so what discussion are you trying to foster?

Yeah, it's impossible for the word of mouth to be bad or poisonous given that it didn't tank like Batman vs Superman. It's crushing the box office and already surpassed Wonder Woman which needed 3 months to leg upon 800M+. What WW did in 4 months, CM will have done in mere days and it will have surpassed Ragnarok today or tomorrow.

The simplest explanation is that this is the first female led Marvel movie and a lot of girls / women were going to see it no matter what, along with dads bringing their daughters along and your average MCU fan. I'm sure it's not all that great given the critical reviews and analysis and yet I'm going to see it tuesday and it seems simple to me as to why it's blowing away most MCU movies at the box office (it's already more interesting on paper than Doctor Strange could ever be imo).

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Can't say that I agree with the OP or his reasoning.

I keep seeing stuff about the subtext of her overcoming abuse, but while I was watching the movie that didn't cross my mind at all. I like things being subtle but if that's what they were going for I think they could have been more intentional about it.

Your discussion of the immigrants/refugees again I can see where you are coming from, but that was poorly executed if that's what they were going for.

Like, if this stuff all flew over your head after two viewings - each of which had you doing write-ups online about - I don't know how much stock I put in your readings of movies.

To me, it's main faults were:

- Full body cgi is still bad

- Some of the 90s music scenes were eye rolling

- A couple times when Carol and Fury had a scene where they were supposed to connect, the acting of both didn't sell it well. (Weird smiles, I dunno, not natural)

Other than that, the story had something to say and told it well. It was pretty funny and entertaining.

Edit: My bad, I thought you said you watched it twice and changed your opinion, but I guess it was only Guardians and not another viewing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lasthope106

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Can't say that I agree with the OP or his reasoning.

Like, if this stuff all flew over your head after two viewings - each of which had you doing write-ups online about - I don't know how much stock I put in your readings of movies.

To me, it's main faults were:

- Full body cgi is still bad

- Some of the 90s music scenes were eye rolling

- A couple times when Carol and Fury had a scene where they were supposed to connect, the acting of both didn't sell it well. (Weird smiles, I dunno, not natural)

Other than that, the story had something to say and told it well. It was pretty funny and entertaining.

Two viewings? Wut

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great origin movie. Some people just have really bad hot takes.

Guardians went crazy because the comics are crazy. Cap Marvel isn't like Guardians for a reason.

Odd, because the story they've used to hang Marvel off owes a lot of its existence to Guardians: from the visual design, to characters (Ronan and Korath for starters), to retconning the scene on Knowhere with The Collector and Carina.

Hell, they even establish the Kree as bad-guys from the off, so it makes the twist in Marvel kinda moot.

I do think, after hearing a lot of interviews with the Directors, that many of Marvel's faults can be laid at their door, and the stylistic decisions they took in concert with Larson.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Winter Soldier was actually the pinnacle and yet Infinity War was not a let down though.

Winter Soldier is great, but it's not a pinnacle in any sense. It's a part of the MCU world-building that leads to the same Infinity War every other MCU movie has.

Infinity War is the Empire Strikes Back of the MCU. Everything that comes after it will be compared/contrasted and judged based on it.