• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your discussion of the immigrants/refugees again I can see where you are coming from, but that was poorly executed if that's what they were going for. This might be an issue with the creative and commercial tug of war. They briefly touch on social issues but unlike Black Panther, this movie just didn't appear to make a strong statement.
I disagree I think it did make a strong statement. What they were showing how they were treating the skulls is exactly that. I think you are trying to understate the movie because you don't like it.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't think they'd put out a film that felt more meaningless than the ant man movies.

Like, mcu post end game is gonna be bad if this is the effort they're gonna bring to their b and c-tier characters

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing any of the other Marvel films to GotG seems unfair to me, those films are just on another level entirely.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I really liked it, enjoyed it more than i thought i would... It actually has a very different feel to the rest of the MCU movies i think. They were going for a "quieter", calmer vibe i think, and they nailed that. Felt like a very comfortable little Sci-Fi movie to me tbh. Not every movie has to set the bar for incredible space battles and over the top action, in fact it gets tiresome sometimes even... so yeah this was very appreciated in that spirit.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yea no shit

Aquaman was better than Captain Marvel for me and that wasn't all that good to begin with

and then you have the best film of 2018, Into The Spiderverse, which dumps on both of them from a colossal height

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Brie's performance was one of the best parts of the film in my opinion. I expected a fairly dry performance from the trailers but she actually had a wonderful personality given her character's circumstances and I loved how playful she was with Fury and especially during fight scenes. She had fun. That costume looks great to me too. *shrug*

Each his own.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think all the pieces of Captain Marvel (characters, setting, most of the plot points, etc) were on point and enjoyable, but I think they're stitched together in a way that isn't as good as the individual parts.

The whole last bit with blowing up the spaceships is unnecessary to everything else that is going on and feels like a studio thing to set up for Thanos.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Guardians movies are second only to Thor: Ragnarok, when it comes to the MCU. Captain Marvel is somewhere in the middle. Good not great. The beginning and end are good, but the middle is a slog, and Brie's performance is pretty wooden. I know nothing about the character. Is she supposed to be the strong silent type, like a Clint Eastwood? I might not have been too crazy about it, but Captain Marvel 2 is the only post Infinity Saga movie I'm looking forward to outside of GOTG3... unless Taika Waititi makes Thor: Revengers. I just think there is a lot of potential there.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine preferring GOTG to this, but then I'm a geek who was pretty pissed about how GOTG turned out so that's my fault.

Jan 2, 2018
Captain Marvel is a solid B movie. Its good, but not great. I'd personally rank it above the likes of Iron Man 2 & 3, Thor 1 & 2, and Ant Man, but on par with Doctor Strange, Ant Man & Wasp, and Captain America 1. Carol's film doesn't come close to the great solo films of Iron Man 1, Winter Soldier, Thor Ragnarok or Black Panther. Those are A+ films.

But saying its trash? Come on. Its nowhere near as bad as any of these films...

1484079499worstcomicbookmovies.png
maxresdefault.jpg
5ad4b545146e712d008b4691-750-433.jpg
51D%2B8RhfbsL._SY445_.jpg

Also comparing a solo character's film to an ensemble's is kinda apples to oranges.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
I simply watched Captain Marvel as a tie-in to Avengers 4. Same goes for Ant Man. Neither movie was all that great

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the movie, it wasn't a home run by any means but I definitely enjoyed it. I thought Brie was great as Captain Marvel, I loved what they did with the skrulls cause it really surprised me the direction they went versus what I expected.

Go give "Spawn", "Batman & Robin", "Steel", "The Shadow", "The Phantom", or "Meteor Man" a rewatch if you forgot how bad that era was for caped stories.
tenor.gif

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
People saying Brie's performance was bad don't know wtf are they talking about. She was great.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
CM is definitely inferior to a lot of the MCU movies, especially the Phase 3 ones. However, I think considering her story and what they had to work with it was ok. You can't compare a single character intimate origin story to a space comedy action movie with 4 main characters like GoTG. Completely different tones and purposes.
I have faith in the Russos making her an awesome character in Endgame. I mean, look at what they did with Dr. Strange in IW.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Brie's performance was one of the best parts of the film in my opinion. I expected a fairly dry performance from the trailers but she actually had a wonderful personality given her character's circumstances and I loved how playful she was with Fury and especially during fight scenes. She had fun. That costume looks great to me too. *shrug*
That was my big worry going in, too. All the promo material led me to believe that she was going to be a void of personality like Black Widow or Scarlet Witch, but she actually had some wit, which was nice. The whole otherworldly being on a backwards planet thing, like in Thor, also worked for her.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know how anyone can dislike Brie in that role. She was amazing.

That said, the movie deserved better directors. And less 90's cheap references.

Hopefully next one will be different because I enjoyed Brie Larson a whole lot.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find the pacing or editing bad, i actually liked how they played up the structure to differentiate from standard origin movies, because this is both an origin movie, but also a movie where Carol has been doing hero stuff for over 6 years, so it spared us from wasting time on "hero learns to use their powers" scenes and we still got to see what he rorigin was.

Also, complaining about "it's not clear who the villian is" in a story about skrulls is funny.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
I think they handled CM's origin story extremely poorly. It's just all over the place, in a way that makes the movie more confusing than compelling. Which to me is what made it feel like a comparatively poor offering in what feels like a near unbroken chain of great movies from Marvel.

However, once the plot gets hijacked by the intergalactic space war intrigue in the last 2/3rds of the movie (Basically once CM is on Earth), is when I felt invested and interested. Once all the major protagonists start interacting, it feels better. Great, even.

I'm..really not sure why they did things the way they did. I'm not familiar w/ the source material, so I don't know if this was always, or one of the ways CM's origin story goes. Or if this was an MCU original storyline.

The MCU fixed Thor with Ragnarok, so maybe CM 2 will get the works.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Funny that you're rewatching older Marvel movies and comparing them to Captain Marvel, OP. I rewatched Thor Ragnarok and realised why I wasn't crazy about Carol. She's basically Valkyrie - presented like a supporting character imo. Carol is cocky, confident, sometimes funny, and kicks ass in action scenes, but she's the same from the start of the movie to the end. Cool to watch and be instantly likeable, but not enough for the main character. All her character development that would've made me empathise and learn more about her is hidden behind HER PAST, in quick cuts/flashbacks. Just like how Valkyrie's past trauma was presented.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Captain Marvel wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't great either. During the opening scene when she was sparring with Yon-Rogg, I was a bit nervous about Brie Larson's performance. She seemed very dry and robotic-like. But as the movie progressed, her personality definitely shined and I honestly really liked her as Captain Marvel. I will agree that the movie was fairly bland and lacked the "funness" that makes Marvel movies so great.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Captain Marvel was pretty mediocre. It wasn't bad and it's definitely watchable. It's just mediocre.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Captain Marvel was fine. What rewatching the original Guardians should really make you be is glad that Disney rehired James Gunn for Guardians 3.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The break out of the mind control stand up montage is so fucking good, I think its a top 5 MCU scene for me after watching it 3 times.

Didn't really care for the action but I don't really care for the action in the MCU in general outside of the Russo films.

Other than that scene above Brie was the best part, she sold Carol so well, fun yet powerful resolve. And she absolutely had an arc, she defeated pervasive and subtle gaslighting that is very common but not even acknowledged most of the time in real life, especially if the reads in this thread are anything to go by. The way that she finds Yon-Rogg endearing at the start when he is telling her what she can't do is such sad but truthful commentary on our world, fuck that final shoots first moment was satisfying.

Like holy fuck, thinking back man did I find her powerful in this regard, soooo looking forward to her future adventures.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Guardians of the Galaxy 1 is... not a particularly great movie. Especially given Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

The characters are paper thin archetypes. The plot is nonexistent. The villain is laughably bad. The female lead is a ruthless assassin who, out of nowhere, becomes the one person in the group who champions altruism because she happens to be "The Girl". The movie is casually sexist as well: Drax breaking character and calling Gamora a whore and the treatment of the ancillary female characters being good examples. Oh, looks like Quill's gotta save Gamora because he's the white male hero and he needs a love interest.

The worst part is how generic Peter Quill's "womanizing manchild grows up, learns basic emotional maturity" arc is. Quill isn't a billionaire or a Prince first in line for the throne I guess.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Brie was fine. No, she's not a pop-culture-spewing, wise-cracking, Han Solo-esque anti-hero like the Guardians are, but she never was written to be. She's exactly the character she needed her to be.

I'll disagree. The story was widely divergent from the comic material, constantly surprised me, and the third-act reveal of the Skrulls was complete unexpected and subverted both long-standing comic tradition as well as tap into modern day prejudices about immigrants and refugees in a way almost no other superhero movie has before. That alone made it "fresh" for me in a sea of "safe" superhero movies that never go that one step beyond.

I don't know. I found Guardians 2 to be one of the most oddly paced films Marvel has ever put out. I still LOVE it, but Captain Marvel wasn't as aimless. The film's opening and constant flashbacks that tied into the narrative were a great way to explore her origin without the normal origin routine. Her origin was the driving mystery of the film, and the constant ways various organizations - Skrulls, Kree, humans - helped her rediscover it kept it engaging for me.

A one-woman rampage against a fleet of Kree warships felt like it had pretty good scale, but I actually prefer the film's SMALLER scale. Not everything has to be a giant portal to the sky, Lord of the Rings-scale war. The movie's focus was on the small-scale moments of Carol's humanity, her past with her friends and family, her arc of overcoming a manipulative and abusive relationship, and finding her place in the universe. When I think of "Captain Marvel" as a movie, I think of her and Fury doing dishes together more than I think of bombastic setpieces.

That was 100% intentional. The costume itself is GREAT, but it stands out. "Looks like a woman dressed for laser tag." She looks awkward and out of place because she is awkwardly out of place on the subway among other normal people.

I grew up in the 90s era of superhero movies. Ha, no. Go give "Spawn", "Batman & Robin", "Steel", "The Shadow", "The Phantom", or "Meteor Man" a rewatch if you forgot how bad that era was for caped stories.

For me, I looked a bit deeper than the superficial superhero tropes and Captain Marvel tells a certain story. Black Panther had something to say about the experience of black people across the world. Guardians had something to say about second chances and the nature of family. Captain Marvel had something to say about the plight of refugees, immigration, imperialism, gender roles, and the misuse of gender politics and power imbalance we still currently face. It has a different, but equally important, message that a lot of people - especially girls like my daughter - really needed to hear.
thankyou.gif

Hell, THANK YOU because I keep seeing people rag on the movie all the time and trying to say it was the lowest point of an MCU movie below the likes of Iron Man 2 and (I disagree with but whatever) Thor 2. The worst one I ever see is how terrible a performance Brie gave when I see it as the opposite. She made Carol Carol. I never once though during it that "no, that's not how Carol would be" at all.

But then, I'm also tired of seeing people put GOTG on some pedestal. It's a great movie, yes, but I think a lot of people liking it was born of their lack of knowledge of the characters. to the point where I saw so many all over say it was going to be the first Marvel movie that bombed. Now they think it's the best.

OP
OP
lasthope106

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
I honestly have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Care to elaborate?

It's established that she has super powers from a science experiment gone wrong (it's Marvel) and is shown to be an elite, highly trained warrior and pilot on top of that.

The pacing of the movie was slow. It had a certain tone. The part I had an the biggest issue starts once they get to the ship. The part where they get ambushed by the Kree. That scene felt like a cheap tv show. Then you have the break and the fighting scenes which I found disorienting and way too dark, and badly edited. There were a few times where I didn't know which room they were in, or who was fighting who. Then you have the escape to earth and she goes Super Saiyan. The shift from there didn't fit what came before. All though the movie you don't have that sense of scale, and in the matter of a few minutes she is flying around space and destroying a gigantic alien ship. That's what I was referring to feeling unearned.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Thanks for taking the time to write out that analysis. I can see where you are coming from. I agree with you on some points, but at the end of the day a movie is good or it's not. I keep seeing stuff about the subtext of her overcoming abuse, but while I was watching the movie that didn't cross my mind at all. I like things being subtle but if that's what they were going for I think they could have been more intentional about it.

Your discussion of the immigrants/refugees again I can see where you are coming from, but that was poorly executed if that's what they were going for. This might be an issue with the creative and commercial tug of war. They briefly touch on social issues but unlike Black Panther, this movie just didn't appear to make a strong statement.

Uhh... that shit was pretty blatant

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Constantly comparing the MCU movies is kind of a bore. Some movies are going to be better than others, same with the comics. I still think Captain Marvel is a solid movie, Brie was fantastic!

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How terrible the performance by Brie Larson.

Brie Larson is a talented actress and won awards for them. She preformed fine in the movie.

And I'm 33, likely the target age for this stuff.

No you weren't.

Captain Marvel target market was always aimed towards the women as they had so few superheroes that were women and prior to Captain Marvel the only decent one they had was Wonder Women.

That has now changed and with Black Widow in the pipe line and a potential Ms. Marvel, that's now changing.

Is the backlash starting already? I haven't been keeping up much with Captain Marvel but I thought people loved it.

There's no backlash, people did loved it as the box office proved.

OP dislike of the movie doesn't change that. Though if we're being honest OP probably didn't like it because he's a man and not exactly the target market that the movie was aiming at.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You changed your mind? It looks like you disliked every single thing about CM.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel ruined my childhood. I knew it was going to be bad from the start when Carol threw the lightsaber over her shoulder. Just complete disrespect to my nostalgia.

Nov 2, 2017
I would have enjoyed more Annette Bening. Carol having limited use of her energy power right off the bat was weird when no one else could do it. The device on her neck should have cut her off completely until she was captured by the skrulls where it would start to malfunction when they start digging in her head. Watching someone come into their power is more enjoyable to watch compared to solely watching some piece together a past they forgot.

It was an alright movie that's similar to the first Captain America where I don't have a desire to watch it multiple times. Also, like Black Panther the side characters are more interesting to watch than the main character. Could I go for a Talos short? Oh, yes.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
The way CM handle 90s nostalgia is terrible. It's basically better than Ultron, Ironman 2 and Thor 2...that's about it.