• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
First notes:
Witcher 3 was downgraded - it was a whole big thing on other forums back then. So CD Projekt Red is familiar with the need.

Also Anthem, another open world, was downgraded recently. It was demoed gorgeously on reveal using Xbox One X - but then when they actually had to translate it to all consoles and such, it became a much lesser visual experience. Lighting and crowds have dropped dramatically. There might be many reasons for the demo reveal having been scaled back, but one thing is very likely: that demo was never possible to run on systems like base Xbox One. Even at low resolution.

2019-01-2602_14_42-andwkdp.png

anthemdemo_2019_01_256xj3z.png

Then we have Apex Legends this week which runs at a shaky 648p - 720p, sometimes lower.

Now on to the meat:
Cyberpunk 2077 is an open world game set in a huge, vertically dense metropolis. We have seen lots of incredible things from it, but one thing frightens me on return visits: it looks a lot like Anthem in quality.

There's two potential routes they could go to achieve a great product wherever possible: either they scale back the content and crowds everywhere on all platforms so they have the same game running at different resolutions essentially while there's only minor differences in assets, but sacrifice the reveal looks on even high end consoles like Xbox One X and good range PCs. A downgrade as we define it.

Or they can tailor the content to each system's capabilities in some degree - lesser crowds, missing effects all together like motion blur or certain shadows and lighting on base Xbox One - since the base consoles are showing age. And we sure as hell know this demo can't look this dense and good on base consoles. But this approach is more work and can break the chain of updates and DLC by having different crowds and objects missing from the simple pipeline.

What in your conjecture is the best route for this, when it needs to come to a base Xbox?:
X9MM28A.gif

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know. What I do know is that the "OMG PUDDLEGATE" memers will be there in droves, because appearently you can't point out downgrades anymore. Even an admin agrees downgrades are just the norm now so people should stop complaining and eat it up instead.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Game wont have nearly as many NPCs
Game would have a lot of graphical downgrades on current gen.
Game will run at 720p on x1 and 900p on ps4.
Game will run at a not steady 30fps.

That is probably it.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's gonna have a next gen version and this isn't framed as a console video I see no reason for it to look worse, only better on new hardware. The pro and x well, they'll get what they get, same for the base version consoles.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
If you play on base Xbox One and PS4 you will never get the best version of any game, even if you do so on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X when there's a PC version.

Cyberpunk2077 will look ugly and heavenly downgraded on base consoles.

The Anthem downgrade happened because well, they have to sell games on consoles and they can't make a PC version that looks a generation ahead compared to the base consoles, just like what happened with Watch_Dogs.

I don't know. What I do know is that the "OMG PUDDLEGATE" memers will be there in droves, because appearently you can't point out downgrades anymore. Even an admin agrees downgrades are just the norm now so people should stop complaining and eat it up instead.

I mean, complaning about downgrades it's always pointless.
Game development changes over time and we don't know what happened during the actual development, a lot of the E3 footage is always a small portion running on a very high-end PC.

Apr 21, 2018
I think by the time cyberpunk comes out, releasing on X1 and PS4 won't even be a thing. I know they told investors yadda yadda but by the end of 2021/2022 nobody will care.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Considering it's gonna have a next gen version and this isn't framed as a console video I see no reason for it to look worse, only better on new hardware. The pro and x well, they'll get what they get, same for the base version consoles.
Witcher 3 got downgraded though, and that had a PC focus along with their original claim PC doesn't require downgrades. It turns out, PC versions get downgraded too as Anthem and Witcher 3 show us.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It would be really cool if cyberpunk launches around the time one of the next gen consoles launch as it will be a really good reason to purchase one on launch.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I can't wait to see how Cyberpunk 2077 runs on PS5, the high-end Xbox Scarlett console (Anaconda) and even the lower-end version of Scarlett (Lockhart), as well as Xbox One X.

Everything below an X1X or PS4 Pro is probably going to be sub-standard, meaning base PS4, Xbox One S and OG Xbone.

Yes, the Witcher 3 was most definitely downgraded. The difference this time, is CDPR has gone out of their way to make people aware that the footage they're seeing of Cyberpunk 2077 is subject to change. They've made note of that multiple times in the footage released so far. It's "work in progress".

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
This time CDPR even put a "Work in progress - Does not represent the final look of the game" watermark on all of the game's footage and even mentioned it in the intro 😂

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 got downgraded though, and that had a PC focus along with their original claim PC doesn't require downgrades. It turns out, PC versions get downgraded too as Anthem and Witcher 3 show us.
Yes but neither of those had next gen versions lined up.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah current gen is starting to hit its technical wall (although we still have amazing experiences like Spdierman, GOW, RDR2).

I hope that the hypotesis about PS5 launching in Spring in true and this releases shortly after so i can get the best experience.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
At this point developers will probably hate the base Xbox One (and PS4 to a lesser degree). Those boxes are just not capable of providing a good gaming experience for the newest games.

Oct 27, 2017
Before walking through Saint Denis in RDR2, I wouldn't have believed it was possible to have something like this on current gen. After playing RDR2, this kind of thing is definitely possible without question.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I mean, they were hesitant to show off the gameplay at all, and have disclaimer after disclaimer stapled to it basically stating that everything about the footage is a work in progress.

What we're releasing today was recorded from a game deep in development." — says Adam Badowski, Cyberpunk 2077 Game Director and CD PROJEKT RED Head of Studio. "Since many of the assets and mechanics in the current version of Cyberpunk 2077 are most likely to be modified, we initially decided to show this gameplay only to media. Elements like gunplay (both in terms of visuals and how RPG stats influence it), netrunning, car physics, or the game's UI — everything's pretty much still in the playtest phase and we felt uneasy about publicly committing to any particular design. Animation glitches, work-in-progress character facial expressions, early versions of locations — all this made us hesitant to release what you're about to see."

"However, we are also well aware that many of you want to see what the media saw." — adds Badowski. "Although this is probably not the same game you'll see on your screen when we launch, we still decided to share this 48-minute video with you. This is how Cyberpunk 2077 looks today. Let us know what you think!"

Personally, this game will probably just so happen to coincide with my next PC upgrade, lol

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Well,Red Dead Redemption 2 looks far better on my base PS4,so if we got another downgrade from CDPR is them to blame.
Am I the only one not impressed by that demo?

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Before walking through Saint Denis in RDR2, I wouldn't have believed it was possible to have something like this on current gen. After playing RDR2, this kind of thing is definitely possible without question.

Sure, it is possibile if you have Rockstar money, manpower and time.

99% of third party developers don't have all this.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting it on the next Xbox so I hope it's close to the reveal game play.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They made it clear that concessions will have to be made, and since they did, im okay with it

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
I was literally thinking this exact same thing today. Compared Anthem reveal vs now then looked at Cyberpunk.

It likely will be downgraded. The Cyberpunk reveal was running on a 1080 Ti beast.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
It's a single player game
It doesn't have to be the exact same experience on all platforms like anthem

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
you're not getting that kind of crowd density with that level of detail on any of the current consoles, base or else.

I'm hoping we get that on the released game some where. Playing open world city games and just not having enough people in it is so lame. No city game currently is populated enough. That footage is from a real game that exists on high end PCs and they demoed it to people, we better get that.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be like how Shadow of Mordor was on last-gen consoles

I can't wait to see how Cyberpunk 2077 runs on PS5, the high-end Xbox Scarlett console (Anaconda) and even the lower-end version of Scarlett (Lockhart), as well as Xbox One X.

Everything below an X1X or PS4 Pro is probably going to be sub-standard, meaning base PS4, Xbox One S and OG Xbone.

Yes, the Witcher 3 was most definitely downgraded. The difference this time, is CDPR has gone out of their way to make people aware that the footage they're seeing of Cyberpunk 2077 is subject to change. They've made note of that multiple times in the footage released so far. It's "work in progress".
Just wanna say Scarlett Lockhart is an amazing name

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Yeah current gen is starting to hit its technical wall (although we still have amazing experiences like Spdierman, GOW, RDR2).

I hope that the hypotesis about PS5 launching in Spring in true and this releases shortly after so i can get the best experience.

I think the Pro and X already show that the current gen consoles hit the technical wall right out of the gate.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Well, a few minor things:

- Anthem's trailer AT THE TIME was very obviously bullshit. I mean, I don't get how anyone who follows gaming at all believed that was gameplay. It very clearly wasn't.

- No matter the current word on consoles and such, I still think they could pull the plug on any versions below the higher end consoles. That could certainly help.

- Of course it's going to look different. I don't think the Cyberpunk gameplay was pre-rendered or anything, but it probably won't look like that with peak performance on consoles. You will probably just have to accept that now

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
God I hope it's only on next gen. That game will have to be neutered to hell and back to get it to run on a Jaguar CPU.

Don't give in CDPR, hold strong and give everyone a real reason to upgrade in 2020.

Kaotic

Oct 23, 2017
New York
Downgrades between the time of an E3 trailer and the launch of the game is to be expected so I don't usually get all worked up and CDPR was smart to let everyone know that hey this is a work in progress it might not look like this when we launch. With Anthem though, while I loved playing the demo and it still looks beautiful to me, what bugs me about the downgrade was that during the reveal trailer at E3 during the first 5 seconds of the trailer it clearly says all footage captured in game, running in real time. This can be a little deceiving as it can lead people including myself to believe that well holy crap if its already running like this in game, then the final version will most likely be close to this! Which obviously it most certainly is not. But hey, gotta get the crowds hyped up somehow and it sure as hell worked on me.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
God I hope it's only on next gen. That game will have to be neutered to hell and back to get it to run on a Jaguar CPU.

Don't give in CDPR, hold strong and give everyone a real reason to upgrade in 2020.
I get wanting that, but the numbers are too great to ignore. There's no way in hell they miss out on the huge install bases already set.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3 downgrade, while real, was really mild compared to the likes of Anthem and Watchdogs, for example. Also, CDred has gone out of their way to say It was a really early, sneak peek work in progress game were everything could be changed before launch.

Bioware explicitly said there would NOT be a downgrade no matter what, and that the game was running like that on an X. I don't think they are the same case here.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Wasn't the CP2077 demo ran on a high end PC?
If that's the case then of course there will be a "downgrade" for the console version, but would anyone really expect a game running on PC to look the same on the current gen consoles?

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no intention of playing this game on consoles but I'm curious to see how it'll look.

Feels like it'll melt base consoles, especially the base XB1.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Can we please stop these threads? We are now discussing a possible downgrade for a game that has only had a guided demo (along with a lot of heavy warnings that things will change).

This is another puddle-gate waiting to happen and it's embarrassing.

Let's wait for the game to be released before we talk about potential graphic downgrades.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
The game will run and look like shit compared to high end computers and next gen consoles. Didn't Witcher 3 run like garbage right out the gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.