• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I was honestly disappointed with the Leftovers after the crazy amount of hype I read going into it, but I still enjoyed it. Very much looking forward to this though

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
One of my go to reviewers (along with Sepinwall and Matt Zoller) loved it

Twitter text
This was about Watchmen, my favorite new show of the fall season and, honestly, maybe any tv season

"Any season" is mild hyperbole, but the first several Watchmen episodes are really fucking good to really fucking great, and I can't wait to finish out the season.

It struck me as the emotional territory of Leftovers wedded to the pop sensibility of Lost.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
you should have already read the watchmen comic.

ignore the film. this series probably does lmao

I wouldn't skip the movie. Even though it skips big parts of the book and misses the point of how the final plan is supposed to work. It has some pretty good performances and a great soundtrack, and fun fights.

It's worth watching as a separate work, just read the book first if you can (everyone should)

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was worried. The trailer looked unappealing to me. I guess the show actually focuses on the lead characters more than the trailer led on.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
The Oregonian Kristi TurnquistOct 15, 2019
"Watchmen" suffers from the sense that anything can happen at any time, so nothing really matters. ... As with "The Leftovers," the talented cast members do their best to tie together the various portions of the unfocused storyline.

Eat shit, Oregonian.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
No clear evidence. Only Rorschach's journal. But that's hearsay.

Depends on how detailed Rorschach is in the journal. Payments from Veidt (Pyramid Corp) directly to many folks implicated or otherwise involved? There's a pretty juicy trail of evidence him and Nite-Owl found.

E - not to mention there are living witnesses who might change their minds, Jupiter, Nite Owl, hell Manhattan if it came down to it.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following this at all except for the trailers. Are they using the movie or the comic as the basis for the show? From the trailer, I gather than it takes place years after Adrian's plan.

Seven of Nine

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how detailed Rorschach is in the journal. Payments from Veidt (Pyramid Corp) directly to many folks implicated or otherwise involved? There's a pretty juicy trail of evidence him and Nite-Owl found.

It also doesn't help that he left it with a far right wing rag. Even with a little evidence I could see it being depicted as a far right conspiracy theory.

I haven't been following this at all except for the trailers. Are they using the movie or the comic as the basis for the show? From the trailer, I gather than it takes place years after Adrian's plan.

The comic is canon to the show.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
I was a bit wary of Lindelof, but this seems to be shaping up nicely. Side note, Regina King is sporting one of the best looking costumes I've seen on screen.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people talking about this like it's a sequel to the comic? I thought it was a reimagining that isn't really connected to the events of the comic?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Why are people talking about this like it's a sequel to the comic? I thought it was a reimagining that isn't really connected to the events of the comic?

Seems to be more of a story that takes places in that world, after the events of the comic. All that happened, I think.

Not necessarily a direct sequel 🤷🏿‍♂️

tucah

Oct 25, 2017

The comics happened, it takes place 30 years later, characters from the original story are some of main characters here. Lindelof mostly argues about what calling something a "sequel" entails.

Lindelof: "Yes. Look, [the new series] certainly fits into the "sequel" box, and definitely doesn't fit into the "reboot" box. We treat the original 12 issues as canon. They all happened. We haven't done any revisionist history, but we can maneuver in between the cracks and crevices and find new stories there. But for all the reasons you just articulated, we wanted to make sure our first episode felt like the beginning of a new story rather than a continuation of an old story. That's what I think a sequel is — the continuation of an old story."

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The comics happened, it takes place 30 years later, characters from the original story are some of main characters here. Lindelof mostly argues about what calling something a "sequel" entails.

Lindelof: "Yes. Look, [the new series] certainly fits into the "sequel" box, and definitely doesn't fit into the "reboot" box. We treat the original 12 issues as canon. They all happened. We haven't done any revisionist history, but we can maneuver in between the cracks and crevices and find new stories there. But for all the reasons you just articulated, we wanted to make sure our first episode felt like the beginning of a new story rather than a continuation of an old story. That's what I think a sequel is — the continuation of an old story."

Ahh, ok. Thanks! Hadn't kept up.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I got the Watchmen 2019 ebook on Kindle, reading it now. Even if they're not closely related, I figure it wouldn't hurt to know the source material.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Is it a one-time mini series or is there multiple seasons on order?
Don't know if anyone else chimed in yet, but Lindleof said it's written as a self contained sorry that can be continued if it takes.

I'm super excited to see it. And while it may be for all the wrong reasons, it's pretty cool to have a show take place in Tulsa.

It's a classic piece of American lit at this point, enjoy it

???

Last edited: