• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
LittleWomen2019d_large.jpg

RT

Metacritic

Surprise, they're super positive. Starring Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Timothée Chalamet and Laura Dern, opening on Christmas Day.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Gerwig foregoes fussy directorial flourishes, instead shepherding an elegant film in the classical mold, often with a painterly look. It's also pleasingly paced through its two-and-a-quarter-hour run time, with nimble camerawork and editing that suggest the vigor of youth and the urgent sense of discovery that comes with young adulthood. Alexandre Desplat's lush score is laid on a little thick, but even that seems appropriate for a story whose sentiments are always grounded in genuine emotion. Gerwig has taken a treasured perennial of popular American literature and reshaped it for a new generation, which should give the captivating film a long shelf life.

Indiewire said:
Over 150 years since Louisa May Alcott's beloved "Little Women" was first published, filmmaker Greta Gerwig's sophomore effort makes the case that it's as relevant as ever. Despite those lofty goals, the "Lady Bird" director doesn't get heavy-handed or preachy in her affectionate look at the March sisters, who were always styled as very different versions of evolving womanhood, even way back in the mid-19th century. Instead, Gerwig's adaptation looks at the eponymous little women through ambitious storytelling techniques that modernize the book's timeless story in unexpected ways.

However, fans of the original novel (and the first-rate 1994 Gillian Armstrong adaptation of Alcott's book) shouldn't fret over the contemporary implications of Gerwig's film. While it's consumed with questions of ambition, economics, and a woman's place in the world, "Little Women" is clearly the work of someone steeped in affection for the original, and keenly aware of how the concerns of Alcott and the March sisters (loosely based on the author's own family) have never quite abated, no matter the time. In short: it's the same "Little Women" that has endured for centuries, given new life with an original narrative conceit, and a level of craftsmanship that's nothing short of stunning.

Empire said:
Gerwig saves her most impressive narrative flourish for the very end, with a finale that would absolutely delight Louisa May Alcott. It's a decision that will leave you thinking far more deeply than any other version of this story has managed, and one that instantly makes this the definitive big-screen Little Women.

The Guardian said:
There's nothing little about Greta Gerwig's rich, warm, bustlingly populated and passionately devoted new tribute to Louisa May Alcott's classic novel of sisterhood. She revives Little Women as a coming-of-age movie, a marriage comedy, a sibling-rivalry drama – and perhaps most interestingly of all, an autofictional manifesto for writing your own life.

The A.V. Club said:
Little Women is the best kind of Hollywood film: thoughtful yet escapist, sophisticated yet accessible, expertly crafted and deeply felt. The performances are all top notch—Ronan and Pugh, especially, breathe new life into their characters. Gerwig's direction is also first rate, using symbolism and composition to reinforce the emotional arcs of the material. The film tweaks the structure of a well-known and beloved story and modernizes it with light meta touches, all while staying true to its old-fashioned belief in the virtues of kindness and selflessness. It's a living, breathing, vibrant work of art, one that's as bittersweet as life itself.

I sense Oscar noms galore.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
I have loved Greta from the start, and after watching Midsommar Florence Pugh might be my favorite new actress. As I said before I had zero interest in another adaptation, but the cast + director has sold me on this.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like listing "Starring Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Timothée Chalamet and Laura Dern" and leaving out Emma Watson is kinda strange. I was doing a triple take between the list and the pic trying to figure out if she was just some other random actress.

OP
OP
Ithil

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like listing "Starring Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Timothée Chalamet and Laura Dern" and leaving out Emma Watson is kinda strange. I was doing a triple take between the list and the pic trying to figure out if she was just some other random actress.
By all accounts hers is a small role, in spite of the billing on posters. It's the Ronan and Pugh show.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I still need to see Lady Bird but I love everything Greta has been in/done so I'm into this.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
LittleWomen2019d_large.jpg

RT

Metacritic

Surprise, they're super positive. Starring Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Timothée Chalamet and Laura Dern, opening on Christmas Day.

I sense Oscar noms galore.
Sounds like it could be a "cut above". But ye gods, someone needs to put it on blast to all art directors everywhere to stop using this trite-as-fuck characters-looking-out-the-window pose to sell period films. Makes me feel like I'm looking at a photo album of deceased relatives I'm glad are dead.

OP
OP
Ithil

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I have loved Greta from the start, and after watching Midsommar Florence Pugh might be my favorite new actress. As I said before I had zero interest in another adaptation, but the cast + director has sold me on this.
She'll never get considered by any notable awards for Midsommar on account of it being a horror film, but at least she'll no doubt pick up supporting actress noms for this.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit dude, Laura Dern, Florene Pough, Emma Watson and Saoirse Ronan in a Greta Gerwig written and directed movie?

That is insane.

Oct 2, 2018
Heard its really good. It took me a while to sit through lady bird because its so OTT quirky (should have probably watched it in the cinema) - get too restless and distracted by the phone easily at home. Will watch this in the cinema

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trash and still mad about Laurie. I'm sorry Ms. Alcott, I know I'm part of the problem. :(

But it sounds like my other issue with the ending was resolved or at least acknowledged.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
#TeamLaurie

Though I blame some of that on the casting of several characters in the 90's film.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this. I could see this being one of those films that get several Oscar noms, but maybe only 1 win.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
This movie is SO FUCKING GOOD. its a pause in time to help think about the things in life that matter.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Why do they keep making new adaptations of Little Women? It seems like there's a new version of it every two or three years. Are there really enough people interested in watching the same movie over and over to make it worth it?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Just got back from seeing it. Never seen any of the other little women movies or the story or anything. Absolutely loved it, cast knocks it out of the park.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Why do they keep making new adaptations of Little Women? It seems like there's a new version of it every two or three years. Are there really enough people interested in watching the same movie over and over to make it worth it?

Do you say this with movies made by and predominantly starting men? I feel like Gerwig and this film having gotten some seriously lopsided flack.