• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never get over how blasphemously Dickinson seems to treat its inspiration. The ads showing off some smug, wild performance by Steinfeld are bewildering.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I wonder how long Apple will stick with the Disney model of only making family friendly shows. Not like you need sex, swearing, and violence to be good, but I imagine creators would rather create for a service that isn't so restrictive. Do Amazon, Netflix, or HBO have any restrictions at all?

I feel like this is one area where HBO Max and Netflix might have an advantage over services like Disney+ and Apple TV+. HBO Max will have their kid friendly content (Sesame Street, Looney Tunes, Adventure Time) under the same service as their adult content (Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, Westworld). That also means they will have adult movies like A Clockwork Orange, Joker, and Goodfellas under the same service as kids films like Space Jam and The Iron Giant.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I think Apple Music (assuming it's profitable) is proof they're at least capable surviving. Whether or not the the can do it with the others I suppose remains to be seen.
With immense size and weight throwing that around (and money) to get licensing is different then trying to create and green light original content.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Yikes, this sounds like a disaster. I didn't buy a new product this year, so no freebie. My guess is they'll start ramping up promo stuff, though, so hoping to skate in to see, at least, For All Mankind.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly these shows all look so fucking bad. Even if you adjust your expectations for the launch of their service.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is one area where HBO Max and Netflix might have an advantage over services like Disney+ and Apple TV+. HBO Max will have their kid friendly content (Sesame Street, Looney Tunes, Adventure Time) under the same service as their adult content (Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, Westworld). That also means they will have adult movies like A Clockwork Orange, Joker, and Goodfellas under the same service as kids films like Space Jam and The Iron Giant.

Yeah, I assume Apple is going to relax its standards really soon. We already know from their iTunes Store that they do consider movies and television art as that content can do what it wants (games, on the other hand...).

Disney is fine being family friendly because they own all entertainment ever. Yeah, it would be great to see an R-Rated Star Wars (I guess?), but people will watch their shows regardless of content/quality because of the name recognition and fanaticism toward their IPs.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I assume Apple is going to relax its standards really soon. We already know from their iTunes Store that they do consider movies and television art as that content can do what it wants (games, on the other hand...).
There's a difference between what Apple is willing to allow be sold on their stores and what they're going to fully fund.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer... For all Mankind is 200% my jam (on paper anyway)... I might still give it a try.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Dissapointing.....but I was more dissapointed to find out that Apple TV+ only offers originals and no (older) TV-series and/or movies.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a bland NBC show from 15 years ago is basically exactly what I expected out of AppleTV+. I mean, it was at least rumored that it would be pretty sterile ages ago

but hey, it's "free" for a year so we'll see

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
When you have Amazon and Netflix and HBO with content that people want to watch and you choose to start with tired content you messing up already.

People have short enough attention spans already no one will be waiting around to see if this improves.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Without exaggeration, these are the worst execs I (and many others) have worked with. A universally terrible experience for almost everyone. Just a fucking disaster. Stay away.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how committed Apple is to this. They definitely have the cash to keep it going, but will they if shows are constantly getting negative reviews.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Without exaggeration, these are the worst execs I (and many others) have worked with. A universally terrible experience for almost everyone. Just a fucking disaster. Stay away.

Zack and Jamie? Their performance at Sony was pretty good in the grand scheme of things. And it's not like studio leads are usually very popular.

That said, it should have been a big fucking warning light when they tried to remake Notorious, a show that they'd literally just made at Sony and got canned straight away, with a stupendously extensive cast.

Put it this way, I think left to their own devices the opening lot of shows would be better than this, and it does rather smack of Tim Cook and his absolutely risible judgement on content deciding what to go forward with and ending up with a pile of bland crap.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Some of Netflix's most popular shows are just mediocre junk, so I'm not sure if you can really count AppleTV+ out just because of some middling reviews.

The thing that strikes me as weird is when you launch, you can focus all your efforts on getting a few shows that are going to be great and putting them front and center. It's the longer term that's harder when you try to create more and keep up that type of quality. So it should be a bit surprising that this is the best they could come up with and you start to question their ability to find and develop quality content. Netflix gets a pass because they started out great, and on occasion still put out something that catches a lot of attention.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, got anymore details of your or others experiences? Would be interested to hear since apple tv is pushing so hard to get into the streaming wars.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Zack and Jamie? Their performance at Sony was pretty good in the grand scheme of things. And it's not like studio leads are usually very popular.

That said, it should have been a big fucking warning light when they tried to remake Notorious, a show that they'd literally just made at Sony and got canned straight away, with a stupendously extensive cast.

Not just Zack and Jamie! Max is the only competent one!!

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Is Apple launching with just like 4 shows? Do they have any licensing deals for anything else at all for the service?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For Apple, they needed to have shows that were undeniably great to overcome the fact that they have no back catalog to lean on like other services.

so the fact that they couldn't even that tells me this service is done before it starts (though obviously they will keep pumping money in to try and make it work)

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is Apple launching with just like 4 shows? Do they have any licensing deals for anything else at all for the service?

Not that will be included in the base price.

There's going to be a lot of (existing) channels available in various countries for additional subscription fees like Amazon do in many countries. But it doesn't strike me as justifying the cost of the service.

Building an SVOD service is a go big or go home proposition, and Apple aren't going nearly big enough - they overspent on four shows, and didn't license nearly enough.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Matt is the absolute worst lol.
admittedly the studio was also a problem, but I was on an apple show were our two current execs were bullies and actively made the show significantly worse in ways I've never actually seen from a network exec before Zack and Jamie truly ruined it all.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to really give too many specifics, but it's sort of like a cat with a laser pointer. They want you to do something, it's dumb (sometimes, super dumb), you have two options: don't do it or do it. You do it, they want you to do something else, rinse and repeat. They also give really vague broad notes about problems so that whatever you do to address them they can rationalize as not really addressing them... it's bizarre.

Also, straight up I heard about another show they developed for over a year that was pretty good, one exec ended up passing on it, another higher than him said no wait we want it, it went through another half a year of development, and then they still passed on it.

Just an absolute mismanagement all around.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Not that will be included in the base price.

There's going to be a lot of (existing) channels available in various countries for additional subscription fees like Amazon do in many countries. But it doesn't strike me as justifying the cost of the service.

Building an SVOD service is a go big or go home proposition, and Apple aren't going nearly big enough - they overspent on four shows, and didn't license nearly enough.

Yeah that's kinda insane. Like, you need something else, even if it's a cheap subscription.

If they're doing nothing but original with no licensing the service is going to look absolutely barren for a couple years unless their pipeline is crazy.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to really give too many specifics, but it's sort of like a cat with a laser pointer. They want you to do something, it's dumb (sometimes, super dumb), you have two options: don't do it or do it. You do it, they want you to do something else, rinse and repeat. They also give really vague broad notes about problems so that whatever you do to address them they can rationalize as not really addressing them... it's bizarre.

Also, straight up I heard about another show they developed for over a year that was pretty good, one exec ended up passing on it, another higher than him said no wait we want it, it went through another half a year of development, and then they still passed on it.

Just an absolute mismanagement all around.
To add on to this: they have absolutely no vision for what their platform is going to be. Is it for Mature Dramas? Is it for Four Quadrant media? So there's no vision that's coming from the top and that filters down to general confusion for each of their projects, because they don't really understand yet how they want to brand their service.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
admittedly the studio was also a problem, but I was on an apple show were our two current execs were bullies and actively made the show significantly worse in ways I've never actually seen from a network exec before Zack and Jamie truly ruined it all.
On mine I literally got the ol' "okay, but what if the main character was a drug addict?" note... but like, she isn't, and that would completely change everything. Like... WHY?!

There's also the sense that everyone over there is powerless since ultimately approval needs to go up even higher than Zack and Jamie. It's like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
On mine I literally got the ol' "okay, but what if the main character was a drug addict?" note... but like, she isn't, and that would completely change everything. Like... WHY?!

There's also the sense that everyone over there is powerless since ultimately approval needs to go up even higher than Zack and Jamie. It's like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.
that latter point is SO TRUE.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To add on to this: they have absolutely no vision for what their platform is going to be. Is it for Mature Dramas? Is it for Four Quadrant media? So there's no vision that's coming from the top and that filters down to general confusion for each of their projects, because they don't really understand yet how they want to brand their service.
I feel like they want to be mature, but also don't at the same time. And they're all terrified of losing their jobs, so it's just indecision city.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I like Steve Carell, Jennifer Aniston is way more popular than both Carell and Witherspoon. Jennifer Aniston literally broke Instagram a couple of weeks ago when she first joined.
I disagree. Jennifer Aniston only broke Instagram because of a selfie that was a "Friends" reunion of sorts, not because she's a Beyonce like figure. Carell is a huge movie star who has box office hits. Witherspoon may not be that big but she managed to make a comeback in recent years and people still know who she is. Aniston is still pretty popular from the friends fame, but she's hardly a Scarlett Johansson.

As for Apple TV+, this looks like a disastrous start. Had no idea they spent 300 millions on this show, how the fuck did they think that was a good idea. Netflix and Amazon's first shows got great reviews and managed to win awards which definitely helped in getting people interested.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to hear that Apple was clearly not prepared for television. They are usually pretty good at quality control.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Holy fuck yeah Apple l2understand you can't just buy writers and expect a good product.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

This is very spot on. I agree.

When you look at other services -- Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon, Hulu, Peacock -- it's easy to paint a clear picture in your head of what each service is all about.

Other than being another Apple product, Apple TV+ doesn't have an actual identity (yet).

Last edited: