• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems to be one of those cases where the filmmaker falls in love with the act of creating/push tech instead of just trying to create a good story
Basically a redux of Peter Jackson's career post LOTR. At least Jackson did a great documentary about WWI after a string of failures.

Nyrad

Oct 27, 2017
Non Spoiler Impressions:

I had the opportunity to watch the movie last night in Dolby Cinema 2K/3D/120fps. While the Cgi was still hit and miss (somehow it got worse as the movie went on) the real star was definitely the high frame rate. For me it was worth it to watch the movie on this alone. The various action scenes really have an awesome extra punch to it and thanks to Ang Lees direction you can also follow the fight scenes really easily.

Im actually sad that the next announced film with 120 fps (Avatar 2) is so far away since i want more of it now. Especially Movies with kinetic Action scenes like the John Wick Series could really profit from it.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck happened to Ang Lee? From some of the best films of all time to huge flops like Billy Lynn and now this.

He experiments and jumps into new genres trying stuff he hasn't done before. Danny Boyle does that too and I'm glad they would risk failure going in new directions rather than sticking to their lane. There's no saying that his next movie won't be good again. Brokeback Mountain came after Hulk; Life of Pi came after Taking Woodstock. I think's he's doing a boxing movie next, but I think he's due another Chinese language one film soon though. Lust, Caution is 12 years ago.

I haven't, no. Maybe I should say it's his best Western movie. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is amazing.

Sense and Sensibility and The Ice Storm are both great and I think Ride with the Devil is pretty underrated. I think we have been through his whole filmography now, just need to give Pushing Hands a mention too.

Last edited:

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Non Spoiler Impressions:

I had the opportunity to watch the movie last night in Dolby Cinema 2K/3D/120fps. While the Cgi was still hit and miss (somehow it got worse as the movie went on) the real star was definitely the high frame rate. For me it was worth it to watch the movie on this alone. The various action scenes really have an awesome extra punch to it and thanks to Ang Lees direction you can also follow the fight scenes really easily.

Im actually sad that the next announced film with 120 fps (Avatar 2) is so far away since i want more of it now. Especially Movies with kinetic Action scenes like the John Wick Series could really profit from it.
huh, i didn't think anywhere was showing/had the capability to show this in 120fps, i thought it was 60fps max. i guess that doesn't make much sense.

Apr 19, 2018
Non Spoiler Impressions:

How was the plot and action?

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Will Smith plays Will Smith in another Will Smith movie.

P2klgBv.gif

This scene brought to you by 1999.

Nyrad

Oct 27, 2017
How was the plot and action?

The plot was sadly mediocre as was the dialog. It really feels like a movie from the 90s or early 2000s. The action was very good in 120 fps. Im unsure if i would watch it in regular 24 though. The bike chase from the trailers was my favourite sequence by far. If you find a cinema that has at least a 60 fps showing i would go for it for the tech alone, i found it far succeeded what The Hobbit was doing.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm wondering if this worth seeing just for the tech but not gonna go out of the way to do so...

ps3ud0 8)

KingOfComedy

Alt account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
I saw behind the footage and tech they used for this. I rather see this compared to other flicks released because at least tries to do something unique-ish.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems no 120fps screenings in my neck of the woods. I don't even know if I'll get 3D/60fps to be honest, there are barely any 3D showings at all anymore around here. Interested in the tech, but sadly the movie itself looks mediocre at best.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I might see it in 120fps. Really interested in the tech.

I'm actually surprised that theaters even support 60 or 120?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
For those that have seen it, is it way better than The Hobbit in 48fps?

Like .... I'm ALL IN on the tech. I'll travel to see it if the tech is impressive. I play all my PC games at 165hz on a g-sync display. But The Hobbit was trash and looked like garbage. I know it's a common complaint, but even after watching it twice, I couldn't shake the feeling it just looked like it was being played back in fast forward. My buddy thought similarly.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
I only saw clips of Billy Lynn, but the high frame rate didn't work for me at all. It made it much more apparent that I was looking at actors and stunt men making a film. Making a film look more real can go too far.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's one of those things that'll only get wide adoption once James Cameron gets behind it, which he is with Avatar 2. So whenever that comes out you can guarantee a lot of theatres will upgrade.

The only question is then whether or not it becomes a gimmick like 3D or a new standard that everyone adopts.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This movie feels like it belongs in the 90s where star power alone could sell "high concept" shit like Will Smith vs Will Smith.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Ang Lee experimenting with this high fps tech reminds me when Zemeckis keep doing those realistic CG movie until Avatar came out and blew his CG works into irrelevancy. I'm guessing Avatar 2 gonna do the same for Ang Lee's.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I might see it in 120fps. Really interested in the tech.

I think it only plays at 120fps on Dolby Cinemas, maybe? Regular 3D showings have it at 60fps. I'm not sure if there is even a 24fps 3D version.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this move makes me think of someone who played MGS when it came out, proceeded to go into cryostasis until 2019 and then woke up to make a movie riffing off MGS badly.

bud

Oct 27, 2017
Non Spoiler Impressions:

i had no idea this was running at 120fps!

it looks like garbage in the previews i've seen in the cinema, but i might actually go out and see it now just to see what that looks like.

the hobbit at 48fps was incredible.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
i had no idea this was running at 120fps!

it looks like garbage in the previews i've seen in the cinema, but i might actually go out and see it now just to see what that looks like.

the hobbit at 48fps was incredible.

I didn't think outside a couple of theaters were even equip for 120, let alone 60. I'm actually excited to see this now.

Hobbit sucked in HFR. Jackson didn't know how to use it.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I knew it looked off but I couldn't figure out why. I forgot he shot this in 120 and now it all makes sense. Yikes.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
My local cinema is showing it in HFR but doesn't specify framerate so I'm guessing 60?

Hobbit looked fuckin hideous in 48 so we'll see.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
So I can go the extra mile and see this @ 120fps an hour+ away, or see it locally at 60fps.
These reviews tho :(

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it. So-so/bad movie

i was genuinely felling bad with CG. Didn't feel that since matrix 2 Neo vs 1000 fight scene

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
This movie feels like it belongs in the 90s where star power alone could sell "high concept" shit like Will Smith vs Will Smith.

Now that you mention it...

Originally conceived in 1997, the film went through development hell for nearly 20 years. Several directors, including Tony Scott, Curtis Hanson, and Joe Carnahan, were all attached at some point and numerous actors, including Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, and Sean Connery, were set to star.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
If you cant see this movie in 120 fps dont watch it at all tbh

I've heard it described as an action film shot like a nature documentary

Sure this will bomb or whatever, but when bigger blockbusters start doing HFR filmmaking people'll revere Ang Lee and Will Smith

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just saw it:

What the actual fuck Ang Lee.

On one hand this has an absolutely shit-tier script for the most part, but I will credit Will Smith and MEW with putting in way more effort performance-wise than they probably should have.

3D is surprisingly decent, CGI Will Smith isn't *bad*. HFR is more a distraction than anything but it looks a hell of a lot better than in the Hobbit films.

First half is really boring, second half gets weird enough to be vaguely interesting. Most of all I just wanted it to be over a lot quicker than it was.