• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
phone makers need to wait for Apple to do something innovative Or make an existing novelty good before they try their own thing apparently. It never works out for em.

It worked out for Samsung when they made some of the first phablets. While the Pixel hasn't been selling great pretty much everyone loved the camera and it pushed Apple to be better.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Shame I thought it looked cool (not $1400 cool). The Samsung Flip looks like the way to go with the foldable glass and more robust design. I just wish it had a usable back display instead of an oLED strip.

Oct 28, 2017
That new Samsung flip has already improved the tech tremendously. A screen that's not plastic, with protection for all weak spots.

This Razr has sub par build quality and seems to me more like a cash grab on the current hot trend. The design has the screen floating, like you can lift it up from the frame. That was never gonna last long.
The screen is plastic. It's not glass like they say it is. It scratches just as easily as any plastic screen.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is, there isn't any display tech out right now (that we know of) that can withstand the constant stress of being folded over and over again. Unless someone invents a screen that's practically impervious to damage these devices will wear out pretty quickly.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, really not a good start for folding phones.

Also, is it reviewer's, or reviewers' ???? I'm only seeing 1 instance in the op....

Oct 28, 2017
Why would the company that needs you to buy their phones every year make this tech more durable? They'll sell the same fragile shit, and make some PR piece about how that's brave and courageous, and half the industry will cheer them for it.
Every major phone manufacturer makes a new phone every year. iPhones have much better resale value and a history of receiving updates for a long time and great build quality. So this whole comment makes no sense.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
accurateilldromaeosau56jho.gif

MiserlyFrankIndigobunting-size_restricted.gif

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this would have been better if they would have just brought over flip smartphones to america like they have in japan.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
didn't samsung just release or is releasing insanely soon yet again another folder phone similar to this?

I fully expect more issues because its just way to damn early for this tech to be introduced. Seems like phone companies are having a hard time giving excsuses to have people upgrade and are trying anything they can to get people to upgrade to something...."new"

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
In ten years time I predict these folding phones will be on every "Top 10 Worst Tech Mistakes of the Decade" list.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Shocking!

This tech isn't nearly as ready as the manufacturers would like to think, as well as the demand for it. Almost nobody wants a $1.5-2K phone just because it folds.

Also, I don't see how is it possible to get around that folding crease in the middle of the screen? That's such a huge fucking turn off from this tech. I want a perfectly fine looking screen thank you

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to stop with this nonsense and just split the screens like a 3DS. Surely that gap that divides the screens can be almost razor thin at this point. I would much rather durability.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like the technology isn't there yet to support ideas and these things should've stayed in science fiction and exploratory testing for another decade

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
That just proves my point. Apple pretty much controls the entire tablet market because they just do everything better.

In regards to tablets, yeah.

In other markets though I think they still have some competition from the other big tech companies. Just look at the smart speaker market.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
These things don't even seem close to ready but what's with all the questioning the potential appeal? It combines a big screen with a small form factor.

It seems.. fairly obvious.
Cell phones are small enough that they don't need to fold.

I can maybe see this being appealing for big tablets, but that would require a 3 way fold which doesn't sound feasible.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
That just proves my point. Apple pretty much controls the entire tablet market because they just do everything better.

I'm sorry what? Apple controls the majority of the table market because the margins on it were awful for everyone who wasn't Apple thanks to Amazon, and Microsoft couldn't wrap it's head about what it wanted to do with Windows. Even iPad was struggling to gain market share until Apple aggressively released the model that cost only $329.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
lol at the incredulity in here over the very idea of a folding phone. As if the slabs you're using now will just be gone entirely when you wake up one day. Your slabs and folding phones can co-exist. It may seem strange, but other people can actually prefer something different than you.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At this point doesn't it make more sense to just have two separate screens that connect when you unfold it? Granted you don't get to say it's "seamless" but that's got to be a better solution than unsightly creases or peeling/breaking.

Yeah I would take that. Not in a hurry to change to that but it seems like this would be the best route.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry what? Apple controls the majority of the table market because the margins on it were awful for everyone who wasn't Apple thanks to Amazon, and Microsoft couldn't wrap it's head about what it wanted to do with Windows. Even iPad was struggling to gain market share until Apple aggressively released the model that cost only $329.

And because they are high quality and no one else does em better. If you think they control the market based on cost alone, you would be wrong.

Oct 30, 2017
lol at the incredulity in here over the very idea of a folding phone. As if the slabs you're using now will just be gone entirely when you wake up one day. Your slabs and folding phones can co-exist. It may seem strange, but other people can actually prefer something different than you.
I think people would be okay with it if it wasn't complete shit that failed easily and cost a fortune.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I would rather have the cool ass Razr flip phone that I had back in 2005 that at the time was the most badass phone.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
hmmm, not sure i agree with that, the ipad starting being taken very seriously with the ipad 2.

For a period of time sure, but there were plenty of stories about iPad sales flatlining around the release of the iPad Air.
www.latimes.com

Were Apple's iPad sales really as bad as they looked?

Apple investors were rejoicing this week after the company reported first-quarter earnings that were far better than expected, thanks to strong iPhone sales.

9to5mac.com

10 reasons why Apple is to blame for the decline of iPad sales - 9to5Mac

KGI It has been a tough slough for Apple’s iPad since the height of its popularity in 2013. Facing its...

The consistent best selling iPad is the cheapo one with outdated specs. Which is fine, it's still a good product, but you aren't gonna see someone try to disrupt the tablet market at this point for the meager margins of a product that is generally super cost sensitive.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
hmmm, not sure i agree with that, the ipad starting being taken very seriously with the ipad 2.

Tablets quickly became a niche market a little after that. Laptops got smaller and phones got bigger which killed a lot of the demand for tablets. That and MS's success with the Surface are probably what's pushing Apple to make the iPad a laptop competitor.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really see much incredulity over the idea of folding phones, as much as in the way they have implemented so far. It's hard not to feel like these companies are using pre baked "folding" tech as a desperate bullet point to try and spur sales.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Why not make a folding phone with two screens? Why insist in this folding screen nonsense?

This is why I think the design of the Surface Duo/Neo is the way to go.
Will still have to see if Apple/Corning get a good thing going with their folding glass design, but I have always felt like the two-screen solution is best here.

Svearik

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta
I like the idea that Microsoft is pushing with the Duo more to be honest. Two distinct screens that fold together. I'd like to imagine this form factor with two 3 inch screens that work together - I'd be into that.