• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
I'm sorry that my post upset you, and that goes for anyone else who feels similarly. I'll try to be more sensitive in future.

Perhaps I was too blunt. I basically think that individuals have a responsibility to be mindful of how their actions impact on the environment, and as individuals grow into families, that responsibility scales up.

Give up flights? Travel private if you want to demand of your company, otherwise you're at the mercy of the public, bud.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
A friend of mine tried to articulate this. He basically said "I regret having a child, but I don't regret having my daughter". Basically saying that yeah, having kids fucking sucks at times, but that he loves his daughter and couldn't picture life without her. It's a strange paradox for some people, but I can see where they're coming from.

Oct 27, 2017
I think most parents takes it as it comes and don't have some innate instinct or ability.

A few of my friends also had that feeling that they would be this cold mother, I've heard it explained that a switch was turned on/light came on when you give birth.

I know your fiancé says it won't be a deal breaker, but then you mentioned that you see him sad when he sees other couple with kids, I'm wondering if he is just hoping there is a chance you might change your mind. If there really isn't, might be a good idea to have another discussion as it feels like you guys might want different things.
For sure. As far as innate ability I only have my own experience to go by. Around kids I basically ignore them, don't know how or want to play with them, etc. And recently I held a friend's baby and I couldn't even do that to the point everyone noticed. I don't feel anything for kids at this point, even happiness for others having them. Meh.

My fiancee and I are cool with our situation - he just sometimes feels it harder, like after a rough/emotional day. Then again I am open to my own mind changing - something I had to learn!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
For sure. As far as innate ability I only have my own experience to go by. Around kids I basically ignore them, don't know how or want to play with them, etc. And recently I held a friend's baby and I couldn't even do that to the point everyone noticed. I don't feel anything for kids at this point, even happiness for others having them. Meh.

My fiancee and I are cool with our situation - he just sometimes feels it harder, like after a rough/emotional day. Then again I am open to my own mind changing - something I had to learn!

Honestly, I know some parents say this, that they tend to not like other people's kids, but love theirs, so your feelings are not completely uncommon at least in that regard. Good luck to you and your fiance as you guys try to figure this all out.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Its necessary to have kids or the economiesof our coubtries and eventually our civilization will collapse.
It's not an individual's responsibility to have kids to continue the current economical model.

Take it from someone who has everything I could ever want and more: it all means jack shit. It doesn't make you happy. You only learn this until your 30s IMO.

Have kids. It's hard as fuck but I'd trade everything for them.

On my death bed I won't be wishing I had bought a better car or fancier clothes 50 years ago. I'll be wishing for just one more second with my kids.
There's a whole lot more to life to be experienced than buying a better car or fancier clothes. Having a child isn't the only option for those, jesus.

What you seem to have not learned yet, is that people can find great happiness from other things. Maybe you'll learn that in your 40s or 50s?

Oct 25, 2017
There's a whole lot more to life to be experienced than buying a better car or fancier clothes. Having a child isn't the only option for those, jesus.

What you seem to have not learned yet, is that people can find great happiness from other things. Maybe you'll learn that in your 40s or 50s?

It was the OP that brought up fancy cars and a trip to Europe as evidence of why his life is better than his colleagues with kids. The person you're responding to is just disputing that claim and that spending time with kids would be more rewarding for him than the superficial stuff the OP brought up.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
I never wanted to have kids and now i have 2.
It's probably the best thing that ever happened in my life. I would not have known that if i didn't accidentally knocked up my gf.

I'm single now, so i do have the benefits that i can do whatever i want the week they're with their mother. But it's so great to see them back after that week.

Don't know what to tell you. It's a personal choice, but even if you don't want kids (like me) it can have a very positive impact on your life

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think unless you have a kid you won't truly get it, at least that's how it seems.

I'm a parent.

I'm also in a position where I drive a nice car, have a very nice house, take trips overseas to europe and to the carribbean when I feel like it, and generally don't think about "trivial expenses."

All of the nonsense in that second category I would give up in a second for my kid. There's no comparison here at all.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Other than parents/extended family, no one really gives a shit if you have kids, or not.

Seriously, 99.9% of people you see everyday don't care.

I decided to be a father because my GF (now wife) said that she's always wanted to be a mom when we were dating. I didn't really care either way.

Life has turned out pretty damn great.

This thread has shown me, just how broken some folks on ERA are.

What took you so long?

No I said that if people choose to have kids they have two options:

1. be vegan and give up flights.
2. admit they don't care about the environment or the future of the human race.

Simply because I think it's a logical fallacy to claim to care about the environment or the future of the human race whilst having children, eating meat and making flights.

I think option 2 is a valid choice, and wouldn't mandate doing "xyz for the world", but the secret third choice that I think lots of people make is "hypocrisy".

Hey Era. Look at this edgelord here!

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It was the OP that brought up fancy cars and a trip to Europe as evidence of why his life is better than his colleagues with kids. The person you're responding to is just disputing that claim and that spending time with kids would be more rewarding for him than the superficial stuff the OP brought up.
Youre right. Thank you for pointing that out and apologies to RSTEIN for the misunderstanding.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Other than parents/extended family, no one really gives a shit if you have kids, or not.

Seriously, 99.9% of people you see everyday don't care.

I decided to be a father because my GF (now wife) said that she's always wanted to be a mom when we were dating. I didn't really care either way.

Life has turned out pretty damn great.

What took you so long?

Hey Era. Look at this edgelord here!

Haha yea look at all these selfish people having kids.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The amount of people in this thread saying they want kids so they have someone in their old age to take care of them?

..*yikes.*

I feel sorry for your kids.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people in this thread saying they want kids so they have someone in their old age to take care of them?

..*yikes.*

I don't blame them, considering how much it already costs and the only direction that is going is up. People can barely survive monthly while having a working job, when they retire if they have no one it's gonna be nasty.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL

..*yikes.*

If this were a "Living With Your Parents as an Adult" thread, then the easy response your post would be that's not uncommon for some cultures.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I don't blame them, considering how much it already costs and the only direction that is going is up. People can barely survive monthly while having a working job, when they retire if they have no one it's gonna be nasty.

I'm sorry but having kids so you can be more at ease financially point is another total failure. If you are surviving month to month I don't think having kids is a great idea and will make things better.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

..*yikes.*

While I don't think people should have kids so that they have someone to take care of them as they age, l will say there is something comforting about having family around for holidays and milestones as you reach your twilight years.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There have been a few times in my life where I wondered what it would have been like to have children. I like kids, and they usually like me, but I never really had a desire to have one and now that I'm in my mid 30's I've pretty much written the idea off.

I love my life, and I love the freedom not having kids gives me over most of my friends that do have kids. Most of my friends don't care about it, and I don't give them shit for having kids or anything stupid like that. Occasionally I'll catch some salt from a friend who I can clearly tell is jealous that I was able to go home and binge a new show in 2 days, or that I went to the bar after work. This usually comes in the form of something like a snarky comment about how happy they are with their kids. I usually ignore it, it's not a big deal.

I also notice I have a lot less stress in my life than pretty much all of my friends haha. Kids may be great, but they bring a boat load of life stress down on you!

Discontent

May 25, 2018

..*yikes.*

I haven't read all the posts but I'm sure it's not the only reason to have kids for those people and I'm sure they wouldn't just have kids, give them minimal care and love and then just expect the kids to look after them when they're old. I very much doubt if anyone here takes the responsibility of having kids lightly.

It doesn't compute to feel sorry for the kids as in all likeliness they won't be kids when it's time to look after their parents. If they're brought up well, they could lead rich and fulfilling lives and bring great benefit to the world. Then when they're in their 40s/50s or whatever and hopefully more than physically able, they may have to (if their parents reach old age) take care of their parents just as their parents looked after them. Parents do not deserve to be abandoned. An old man told me a few weeks ago that he needs help now in his old age but his sons have said something along the lines of 'sorry but we've got our own lives now, we don't have time for you dad'. It was infuriating to hear and he was clearly heartbroken.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Why have kids at all? Life is dismal. Why create sentience and need where there was none before?

There's plenty of happiness in this world, despite what the news and perhaps our personal outlooks might suggest. Don't buy into the doom and gloom. From my experience the happiest people are those that dedicate their lives to others