• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
No, there's still too many people to support in a sustainable way.
I thought that was true if everyone lived like Americans. We would need multiple earths to sustain us if so.

You can't prove to me that having less kids fixes climate change. I think this whole idea of "stop having kids, it's bad for the environment" is a shitty scapegoat, if anything. We should focus on why that's even a suggestion in the first place... get to the root of the issue and not pussyfoot around with temporary solutions that let people think they're morally superior.

But again, if we had 100% clean energy, that still wouldn't be enough? So why the fuck is it on us to sacrifice everything when it's a collective drop in the bucket?

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I wouldn't mind kids, and my girlfriend definitely wants kids, but by the time we'd marry and start having kids, I'd be pushing 50 (if not just over 50), and while I can do it (and she'll be pushing mid-40s, so she'd be questionable as far as being able to conceive healthly), so even if we could have healthy kids, I'd be pushing 70 by the time they're out of high school - that's way too old, IMO.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Having your first child is impossible to describe, and obviously it isn't the same for everyone, but for me, when I think about my daughter I can't imagine life without her. My own health and happiness can be damned, my priority is her health and happiness. There's something really special about that relationship that in many ways is even stronger than the one between spouses.

She's one year old. When she says "papa" and gives me a hug, nothing else in my life compares. If that sounds appealing to you, consider having children, and if it doesn't than it probably isn't for you. It's not about regrets, it's about what your priorities are in life.
This is me too. I have a 3 week old daughter. The feeling when the doctor pulled her out and she started crying was indescribable. Right in that moment my priorities became very different

I'm 35 years old, so I had a long time to fuck around and do what I want.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
I have to laugh at the parents here saying to birth more voters and eco activists. It's even funnier than the parents suggesting that because governments and big firms have more impact, individuals can lessen their decency to the environment.

can't believe you are getting this uptight over parents

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I wouldn't mind kids, and my girlfriend definitely wants kids, but by the time we'd marry and start having kids, I'd be pushing 50 (if not just over 50), and while I can do it (and she'll be pushing mid-40s, so she'd be questionable as far as being able to conceive healthly), so even if we could have healthy kids, I'd be pushing 70 by the time they're out of high school - that's way too old, IMO.

Yeah for me personally the idea of raising a kid in middle-age sounds like a nightmare lmao.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Less immigration to the US from low consuming nation's means less consumerism, but I think people would be less willing to follow that to a logical 'pro-environment' conclusion.

lesspeople means less reasons to migrate as the local ecosystem can better support a more natural population size.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
We got no kids and no interest (even though our 2 dogs are just as difficult I guess:).

I rather be selfish and spend all the money/ time on us to live the lifestyle we want.

I rather die alone but happy with no regrets not having done something in my life because of kids.

Last edited:

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Really depressing reading so many folks think "having kids" and "doing something fun/interesting with your life" are mutually exclusive.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Really depressing reading so many folks think "having kids" and "doing something fun/interesting with your life" are mutually exclusive.
I've no interested in kids (I'm 25 though so who knows) but I agree with you. Most of the older people at my job have kids and they all have interesting hobbies. Same with a lot of people I know indirectly. I think this forum equates not being able to play video games 5 hours a day with not doing something fun.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

While I agree with you, it does take more effort and flexibility (and $$$).

I don't begrudge dinks that don't want to have kids so they can have more adventures more 'whatever'. It's a perfectly acceptable choice for many.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Its necessary to have kids or the economiesof our coubtries and eventually our civilization will collapse.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Take it from someone who has everything I could ever want and more: it all means jack shit. It doesn't make you happy. You only learn this until your 30s IMO.

Have kids. It's hard as fuck but I'd trade everything for them.

On my death bed I won't be wishing I had bought a better car or fancier clothes 50 years ago. I'll be wishing for just one more second with my kids.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted children for so long but after seeing racism so alive and well, I wouldn't want to raise a black child in this environment. Climate change also makes me not want to have a child that could potentially die because we are destroying the world.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I look at my friends with kids and they are so miserable. Here I am at my 30s with my SO... as a DINK couple. No money stress. All the time in the world for us and things we want to do. It's just pure freedom.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm content with acting as a big brother to kids that have parents that don't give a shit. I don't need my own kids.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted children for so long but after seeing racism so alive and well, I wouldn't want to raise a black child in this environment. Climate change also makes me not want to have a child that could potentially die because we are destroying the world.
And yet all the racists and climate change deniers are having kids.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having kids or a girlfriend means less times for gaming. Fuck that I'm going to die doing what I love. Fuck having to go find a girlfriend for a relationship, Fuck having to stress over looking good around her. Fuck having to prepare for a wedding, fuck having to stress how big a diamond to buy, fuck stressing about taking care of a baby, fuck having to stress about Kids having injuries or medical issues, fuck stressing about what they are doing outside of school, fuck baby showers, fuck stressing about divorce, fuck stressing about saving money for college or having to take the kids somewhere. The only thing I want to stress over is what I'm going to do with so many games in my backlog.

i look at all my stressed out friends with kids and divorce and I'm like, I told you.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Having kids or a girlfriend means less times for gaming. Fuck that I'm going to die doing what I love. Fuck having to go find a girlfriend for a relationship, Fuck having to stress over looking good around her. Fuck having to prepare for a wedding, fuck having to stress how big a diamond to buy, fuck stressing about taking care of a baby, fuck having to stress about Kids having injuries or medical issues, fuck stressing about what they are doing outside of school, fuck baby showers, fuck stressing about divorce, fuck stressing about saving money for college or having to take the kids somewhere. The only thing I want to stress over is what I'm going to do with so many games in my backlog.

i look at all my stressed out friends with kids and divorce and I'm like, I told you.

/S or no?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You serious? I understand not wanting kids, but it sounds like you're basing your whole life around games here.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
For those that say they want someone to look after them when they are old.
It's not always great for your child, I know.

If it's not feeling guilty about wanting to move out, but you'd not be there for your parent it's having no personal life, and impossible to even think about having a child and what is essentially a 70 year old baby that can try to argue and reason with you.

Not that I'd want a child anyway, but I'd imagine people have this problem.
All the people I've spoken to who've both had children and had to look after disabled/Ill parents say the parents one is mostly harder to deal with.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Its not great for them, or at least if it is its not great for the rest of us to give them the world.
So we should have children so that climate change deniers and racist don't inherit the world? Is that really what you're telling me right now? One of the least compelling arguments I've ever heard to having children.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
So we should have children so that climate change deniers and racist don't inherit the world? Is that really what you're telling me right now? One of the least compelling arguments I've ever heard to having children.
Im more of a macro person than a micro person. I dont care to convimce you of anything, just dont want to give up hope in the world because the only good people would rather save some money than have kids.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I drive a shittier car but I got to see my daughter's joy just now after I lit our Jack-o'-lantern so it evens out.

This is a good post lol.

No I said that if people choose to have kids they have two options:

1. be vegan and give up flights.
2. admit they don't care about the environment or the future of the human race.

Simply because I think it's a logical fallacy to claim to care about the environment or the future of the human race whilst having children, eating meat and making flights.

I think option 2 is a valid choice, and wouldn't mandate doing "xyz for the world", but the secret third choice that I think lots of people make is "hypocrisy".

This is so fucking offensive. Fuck you.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
This is so fucking offensive. Fuck you.
I'm sorry that my post upset you, and that goes for anyone else who feels similarly. I'll try to be more sensitive in future.

Perhaps I was too blunt. I basically think that individuals have a responsibility to be mindful of how their actions impact on the environment, and as individuals grow into families, that responsibility scales up.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I can totally see how one could type "non-vegan parents don't care about the future of the human race" when you meant to say "kids will increase your responsibility towards environment". Classic flub right there.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't speak for everyone else, but I'm absolutely a better person that I would have been otherwise. My wife and kids are the greatest joys in my life, each and every day. I don't get to travel everywhere I want, I don't get to just say fuck it all and play video games all night, I don't get to drop everything and do stuff with friends at the drop of a hat. And I don't care. I love this life and my family, and they aren't worth trading at any cost.

All that said, I have an incredible support system. Both sets of my wife and I's parents are willing to do everything they can for our children, our social group consists of a variety of friends and couples, some with children and some without (many that we talk to at least once a week), so our social lives have remained healthy and active. We are homeowners, we both have associates degrees, and I'm currently in a training program for a good certification, as well as going back to finish my bachelors and pursue further education. We have jobs that pay decently and the cost of living is relatively low compared to the entire country. We've had a lot go right for us, which encouraged having children in the first place. It's not something to do on a whim, to save a relationship, or to save yourself. You have to be 100% committed to putting the lives and needs of other beings well above your own. It's not for everybody, and I respect that. No child deserves to come into world that doesn't want them.

But again, and I mean this wholeheartedly, I have yet to find anything else in life as fulfilling as my kids. Even the little mean a lot. My son, who is now four and the oldest of three kids, is old enough that I let him play my Switch. He accidentally erased my Mario Odyssey file that I had completed and slowly built up a collection of moons. I didn't get mad, and instead let him take ownership of the file. A month later and we went through the entire game together (he got really good, really fast), passing the controller back and forth. He was overcome with joy every time we played together, and when we beat Bowser, his excitement reminded me of feelings I haven't felt since I was a child. It's hard to explain it, but the little moments like that add up quick, and I've experience so much good in life in such a short time. Maybe this helps shed some light on why some people find it so rewarding to have kids. I hope it does. It's not for everyone, and if you're not completely sure or committed, don't do it. But it certainly isn't the end of a fulfilling life, if you do have one or more.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought that was true if everyone lived like Americans. We would need multiple earths to sustain us if so.

You can't prove to me that having less kids fixes climate change. I think this whole idea of "stop having kids, it's bad for the environment" is a shitty scapegoat, if anything. We should focus on why that's even a suggestion in the first place... get to the root of the issue and not pussyfoot around with temporary solutions that let people think they're morally superior.

But again, if we had 100% clean energy, that still wouldn't be enough? So why the fuck is it on us to sacrifice everything when it's a collective drop in the bucket?

The reason so many people say stuff like "stop having kids so we can save the environment" is because it's literally effortless for them to cast their stones and simultaneously feel like they've made a meaningful contribution to the cause by not having kids. It's easy.

Reality is that preserving the environment is far more nuanced an issue than not having kids, the blame lies almost entirely with corporations and the governments that kowtow to the wealthy, the birthrate is on a steady decline (and has been for a while) in most western nations, and ultimately it doesn't even make sense for people to stop having kids, as long as they're able to be supported.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Is this place secretly a haven for adults who got beat up by little kids because damn some of y'all really hate kids. Oh I mean some of y'all really hate hurting the environment.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I would regret it. Only because I have zero maternal instincts and no desire to be a mom. My fiancee though would be an amazing dad and he would like kids but it's not a deal breaker. But it is hard on him sometimes as all our friends have kids now. I can change my mind any time but it would be really for him to be a dad. I just wouldn't want the kid to have a cold non maternal mother. Either that or I'd be a good mom but dieing inside. Damned if ya do damned if ya don't!

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I would regret it. Only because I have zero maternal instincts and no desire to be a mom. My fiancee though would be an amazing dad and he would like kids but it's not a deal breaker. But it is hard on him sometimes as all our friends have kids now. I can change my mind any time but it would be really for him to be a dad. I just wouldn't want the kid to have a cold non maternal mother. Either that or I'd be a good mom but dieing inside. Damned if ya do damned if ya don't!
Take your time. Enjoy yourself.

Things changed for me as soon as I saw my daughter pop out and cry. It may change for you at some random time... buying a crib, feeling kicks, hearing his/her first laugh. Or the first time they give you a hug. It's a different experience that's hard to describe.

Just the fact that my wife and I made another person amazes me. A whole person that looks and acts like us lol.

The reason so many people say stuff like "stop having kids so we can save the environment" is because it's literally effortless for them to cast their stones and simultaneously feel like they've made a meaningful contribution to the cause by not having kids. It's easy.

Reality is that preserving the environment is far more nuanced an issue than not having kids, the blame lies almost entirely with corporations and the governments that kowtow to the wealthy, the birthrate is on a steady decline (and has been for a while) in most western nations, and ultimately it doesn't even make sense for people to stop having kids, as long as they're able to be supported.
Yeah I'm gonna have to agree. It's also lazy.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I think most parents takes it as it comes and don't have some innate instinct or ability.

A few of my friends also had that feeling that they would be this cold mother, I've heard it explained that a switch was turned on/light came on when you give birth.

I know your fiancé says it won't be a deal breaker, but then you mentioned that you see him sad when he sees other couple with kids, I'm wondering if he is just hoping there is a chance you might change your mind. If there really isn't, might be a good idea to have another discussion as it feels like you guys might want different things.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry that my post upset you, and that goes for anyone else who feels similarly. I'll try to be more sensitive in future.

Perhaps I was too blunt. I basically think that individuals have a responsibility to be mindful of how their actions impact on the environment, and as individuals grow into families, that responsibility scales up.

How's the view on top of your high horse?