• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
giphy.gif

Abandon ship.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
fair enough, but not pointed directly at you, using the environment for why you dont want kids is a dumb excuse. im not against people who dont want kids, just dont try and make yourself seem bigger than people who want/have kids
People who don't want kids don't owe anyone a reason as to why. If they wanna argue about who's the better person or whatever, then uh, that's their problem I guess.

I don't judge anyone for wanting kids. My beef is with negligent, selfish, and abusive parenting, which I don't accuse anyone here of doing.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Having children is one of the worse things you can do to the environment, hard fact.

So there's some idea of the impact:
"A US family who chooses to have one fewer child would provide the same level of emissions reductions as 684 teenagers who choose to adopt comprehensive recycling for the rest of their lives," it said.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Massive environmental impact? Are you crazy?
Number of people in the world 7,500,000,000
number of people in the world with my kids

Your own personal decisions have no impact on the world. None. Some people are completely delusional about their place in the world - Apples decision to add purple as a choice in iPhone color outweighs any impact your life has had on the environment a thousand times over.
And this is my problem with some environmentalism and veganism advocates... they put the onus on regular people when it should be the corporations.

All this "Don't have kids for the environment" is silly and reductive to me.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Having children is one of the worse things you can do to the environment, hard fact.

It's not that simple. The people who would choose to not have children for the environment are more likely to raise eco-minded children therefore it's actually better to move to a swing state and have 10+ kids. Otherwise you're going to end up with a series of presidents that will do far greater harm.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Individual humans are statistically meaningless to the environment when the top 100 carbon producers are responsible for well over half of the emissions on the planet. Not having kids based on the environmental impact is completely ridiculous. The OPs reason of wanting more money and free time is totally valid, people should just admit it.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Individual humans are statistically meaningless to the environment when the top 100 carbon producers are responsible for well over half of the emissions on the planet. Not having kids based on the environmental impact is completely ridiculous. The OPs reason of wanting more money and free time is totally valid, people should just admit it.

Yep! And these fat cats are doing everything possible to convince us that it's our fault and fight among ourselves.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That is kind of a crazy/mind-blowing statistic but after thinking about it for a couple minutes I think it more speaks to how little recycling does to reduce carbon footprint.
Pretty much. Why it's worth highlighting what's actually being said instead of nebulous and harsh-sounding statements.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I always wonder about posters like the OP. If they're so confident their life choices are correct, why do they need us to validate them?

Anyway, much like a DMC game, life pre-kids is just the tutorial for what comes after. Oh, you can take care of yourself? Okay, Devil Hunter.

1 kid? Now you're in Son of Sparda; no more holding back.

2? Dante Must Die. Get good or get out.

3+? That's Hell And Hell, right? Wrong. Now you've swapped the disc for NBA Live and have to play zone defense.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have to laugh at the parents here saying to birth more voters and eco activists. It's even funnier than the parents suggesting that because governments and big firms have more impact, individuals can lessen their decency to the environment.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I have to laugh at the parents here saying to birth more voters and eco activists. It's even funnier than the parents suggesting that because governments and big firms have more impact, individuals can lessen their decency to the environment.
What's your goal in this though - to get people to not have a child, or to just make them feel bad for having one? Why do you get to use climate change as a veil to laugh and look down at people through?

If you're concerned about the environment it might be better to persuade people to take action in other ways, than to have a go at them for having a child and not showing guilt for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Do all you people who are morally against having children go home for the holidays and judge your parents for birthing you?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a pro and con lisr:

Not have kids

+ continue growing as a person

Hahaha, what joke is this?

I'd argue that having a child makes you grow as a person in ways that not having one does or at least gives you opportunities you wouldn't otherwise take. I find having a child gives you more insight into yourself because you're looking at what it's like for a child to grow from an outside view and observe and learn things about yourself that you might not otherwise. Hell, I can easily count several times where my kids have exposed things about me that I didn't realize I was doing because they either picked up on something or mimicked something I did. You'll also learn how to deal with things simply because you need to learn how to in order to deal with certain situations. That doesn't even begin to touch how your kids will develop skills, interests, and other things that differ from you and you will explore those things with them when you might not otherwise.

I legitimately can't understand how someone seriously believes this and if they do, they clearly have a lot more to learn in life and grow than they probably think they do.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah your giving me a laugh. I never thought anyone would go that far.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
This is very personal decision though it seems like people believe they have the right to dictate others' choices on it.

Personally, I don't want children. And the primary reason is just that I genuinely don't think I would be a very good parent. I distract easily, have low patience and tolerance. And I think it's okay to admit that as well - that not everyone is made out to be a parent. I'll admit I'm still young, but I'm transitioning into my career which would have long hours and so I wouldn't have the time to raise a kid right. If I were to have a kid though, I would certainly adopt. But it's also not on me to point fingers at parents and condemn them for having children. That's ridiculous.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a wild thread. don't tell people that having kids is morally wrong that's like a dumb thing to say

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'd be pretty happy to adopt when i get into my mid-30s. Actually having kids seems a bit... irresponsible, I guess?

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Less children means less people participating in consumerism.
Right so we regular people pay the price and have to put in more effort than the organizations that produce most of the pollution and emissions?

That makes zero sense to me.

So once a clean energy source is found and implemented, everyone can start having kids again?

Oct 25, 2017
Right so we regular people pay the price and have to put in more effort than the organizations that produce most of the pollution and emissions?

So once a clean energy source is found and implemented, everyone can start having kids again?

You know everyone shits on Stark for being a war criminal and stuff but no one mentions that he created a free energy source and let the MCU have children guilt-free

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

No, there's still too many people to support in a sustainable way.

Oct 27, 2017
The "if you have kids you hate the environment" take is the hottest of takes, and frankly offensive and wrong. First of all, one couples children will not make the difference, you'd have to highly restrict world population growth which would only happen with China style legislation. Second, it's a completely valid life choice to have a child, and to suggest otherwise is completely prejudiced against so many people and groups. I mean how out of touch are the eco "childfree" people- can you imagine them spouting this to a parents group or god forbid, somewhere where it isn't just white nerds on the internet? What reaction would you get?
They would probably just get laughed at like on here

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can see the appeal of not having kids when you are young / middle aged.

On the other hand, I've known dozens of old people with no children. As their bodies break down they don't have help. As their financial situation slowly deteriorates they don't have help. As they become lonely and depressed because their spouse died 8 years ago and they have no more family, they have no emotional support.

That's the idea that always haunts me when I think about not having any kids.
Same here. :(

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
That is kind of a crazy/mind-blowing statistic but after thinking about it for a couple minutes I think it more speaks to how little recycling does to reduce carbon footprint.

I can't imagine loading it up onto a ship and sending it all the way across the Pacific Ocean was really doing a lot of good to begin with.