• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I almost started to write something meaningful in this thread, read two pages, and hoo boy.
giphy.gif

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Have kids if you want to and if you have kids and it's unplanned then make the best of it. Don't have kids because you want someone to take care of you when you are older because that is never a guarantee even if you have kids. Hell they might treat you very poorly when you are older. Just have reasonable expectations.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Frankly, at this point, having children is morally and ethically irresponsible.

Why would you wanna put them into lots of trauma knowing the world is gonna die out

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Frankly, at this point, having children is morally and ethically irresponsible.

Why would you wanna put them into lots of trauma knowing the world is gonna die out

This is the dumbest take on the subject. If you really give a shit about the environment, you'd have children with which to raise responsibly with this message to make sure your level of consideration is sustained for future generations, rather than leaving the world to the people who do not care.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
Having children is a decision that each couple or single parent can only make themselves. That being said, it would be foolish to ignore the context of the world these people will be thrust into. Even if you do everything right, you should prepare yourself for some awkward conversations as to why when they're facing a planet with scorching summers, intensified storms, resource depletion, massive human displacement, and all the conflict that naturally spawns from that. "It'll all work out," is not a line that will hold much water this century. At the very least, you'll give them a better life than the 200,000+ years of brutal hunting and gathering that encompasses the bulk of humanity's existence up until the last 10,000 years.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
This is the dumbest take on the subject. If you really give a shit about the environment, you'd have children with which to raise responsibly with this message to make sure your level of consideration is sustained for future generations, rather than leaving the world to the people who do not care.
I don't think it's that far out there to say that the single most destructive act you can do to the planet is to have a child in a developed first-world country. No matter how environmentally conscious we are, I'd wager that barely any of us really give back more than we take when all is said and done.

Not that I'd try to guilt-trip anyone for having kids, mind you.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
My life and relationships got much harder and more stressful when my son was born.

I can't imagine a world without him though. I don't want to .

Parenthood is a different kind of joy... One that can't be compared to the joy I had when it was just my wife and I. I can't say one is inherently better than the other. But I cant say I would undue the decision if given the chance.

Eat My Jorts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Best choice would be adopting unwanted children and doing the same.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

wrong, it would be to adopt a child.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly.

My kids (all four of them) complete me. It is amazing to pour your love and knowledge into a child and watch them grow. It has made me a better, more responsible person with a higher fulfillment in life. Traveling the world is fun and important, but I would take my kids in a heartbeat every day of the week.
feel the same but only have 1 kid (2 years old)

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Kids are nice and all but you need to put the effort in they deserve. My wife's siblings were super far apart so her entire life was raising kids. Me, well I stay stupid busy on both career and personal ambitions with art, music, game work and misc skill developments in things like sculpting and such.

We dont have kids. Late 30s. No regrets. Financially we wouldnt have even been able to do right by children for over a decade of the time we've been married. Have our lives been emptier for that? Fuck no.

We go out together. We spend time together. We've taken small trips here and there and after my career took off enjoyed real actual vacations. We meet our Bill's now and our debt is finally manageable. We've grow as artists and creatively in general.

Life only stops if you stop. Would children have stopped us? From most of these pursuits yes but it would've just replaced them with a different form of joy and fulfillment in spite of any hardships it produced. Folks assuming no kids equates lonely emptiness are wrong from my experience . If you're relationship is worth a shit it wont be dull or empty. This applies to both sides of the equation as well. If you treat being a parent properly even with hardship itll fulfill you.

Happiness isnt a single road is all I'm getting at. Theres awesome shit down both roads if you let yourself become a part of those opportunities completely.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
At the very least, you'll give them a better life than the 200,000+ years of brutal hunting and gathering that encompasses the bulk of humanity's existence up until the last 10,000 years.
I thought that on average hunter gatherers had a better work-life balance and generally less stress? That it was the dawn of agriculture that ensnared us toward the modern day way of life.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
I thought that on average hunter gatherers had a better work-life balance and generally less stress? That it was the dawn of agriculture that ensnared us toward the modern day way of life.
It's true that they worked less, but life expectancy was less than half the current average due to exposure, disease, and having to hunt or being hunted themselves. Kids born now should have more comfortable lives overall even if shit goes really downhill in coming decades. It's people born after the latter occurs who might not be better off than our ancestors.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's true that they worked less, but life expectancy was less than half the current average due to exposure, disease, and having to hunt or being hunted themselves. Kids born now should have more comfortable lives overall even if shit goes really downhill in coming decades. It's people born after the latter occurs who might not be better off than our ancestors.
Ah if you're comparing with everything modern life brings, medicine and all, then sure, of course. I was speaking more to the 'brutal' part as had read it as meaning the hunting and gathering itself was particularly brutal relative to society today.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
Yeah, the contending with the nasty parts of nature was what I meant. The hunting and gathering part in isolation is probably infinitely better than being some shithead tycoon's beatdown factory worker in the industrial or current era.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Could just be an educator or advocate, without creating an extra human.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Some people act like having kids is a death sentence. Both lifestyles can be fulfilling.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I'm gonna be really nice to my nephews and guilt them into taking care of me when I'm old; then, I'll convince them to sterilize and adopt, to save the environment.
I need more money for candles.

Win Win Win

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
what are these dumb takes. if you dont want a kid, just say it and quit finding dumb excuses
if you cared about the environment, go do something about it. dont travel, dont eat meat, dont drive, dont browse resetera,...
How is that a bad take? Educators and advocates can be just as influential on shaping the way people think as their parents.

I don't have or want kids. I don't travel much and bike when I can. I don't eat meat except chicken and fish maybe once a week. I teach environmental science courses to college freshmen. But I guess I don't care about the environment because I'm browsing Resetera? Whether my reasons for not wanting kids are selfish or altruistic are irrelevant in light of the impacts, or lack thereof.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The "if you have kids you hate the environment" take is the hottest of takes, and frankly offensive and wrong. First of all, one couples children will not make the difference, you'd have to highly restrict world population growth which would only happen with China style legislation. Second, it's a completely valid life choice to have a child, and to suggest otherwise is completely prejudiced against so many people and groups. I mean how out of touch are the eco "childfree" people- can you imagine them spouting this to a parents group or god forbid, somewhere where it isn't just white nerds on the internet? What reaction would you get?

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I have no problem saying I would prefer to continue to live rather than kill myself because of the potential negative environmental impact of my existence.

But many parents are in denial of massive environmental impact of their decision to have children.

I have no quarrel with anyone who says they decided to have children despite the massive environmental impact.
Massive environmental impact? Are you crazy?
Number of people in the world 7,500,000,000
number of people in the world with my kids

Your own personal decisions have no impact on the world. None. Some people are completely delusional about their place in the world - Apples decision to add purple as a choice in iPhone color outweighs any impact your life has had on the environment a thousand times over.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got to believe that most of these arguments for why people haven't had children aren't being made in good faith.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
How is that a bad take? Educators and advocates can be just as influential on shaping the way people think as their parents.

I don't have or want kids. I don't travel much and bike when I can. I don't eat meat except chicken and fish maybe once a week. I teach environmental science courses to college freshmen. But I guess I don't care about the environment because I'm browsing Resetera? Whether my reasons for not wanting kids are selfish or altruistic are irrelevant in light of the impacts, or lack thereof.
fair enough, but not pointed directly at you, using the environment for why you dont want kids is a dumb excuse. im not against people who dont want kids, just dont try and make yourself seem bigger than people who want/have kids

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Joke's on OP. I don't even have a car, so I save even more money every year by not paying for insurance, fuel, MOTs and repairs.