• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
My six year old son just beat Super Mario World, his first real video game, and it was one of the proudest moments of my life.

You may find this sad, but I'm not joking. Kids make you find joy in ways you could never foresee. That said, I'm also always exhausted, but I wouldn't trade my kids for anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
lol there will be people around regardless of your individual sperm donation dude. This is the self righteous bs that honestly kills having kids for me. Ah yes there a so many other self actualized parents out there trust me. Reeks of bullshit honestly. Y'all motherfuckers at work are the lamest fucking stereotypes and you fit this post you're complaining about to a t.

Eh...that poster was responding to someone who said "you will become a husk of yourself as you will have no interest or hobbies and instead dedicate all time and resource into your off spring", which is ridiculous and incredibly short-sighted (though it was possibly written as a joke), so of course he's going to be a bit defensive and say "look, that's not true, I'm deeply satisfied, and there are many social and personal benefits to having kids that you don't realize."

Also, you don't want kids because some parents are self-righteous? You can't make your own decisions and act in the way that you'll think is appropriate?

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
robots will care for me when I'm old

also, i feel like this thread is ignoring that there are plenty of old people that can take care of themselves and aren't just walking zombies

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
lol there will be people around regardless of your individual sperm donation dude. This is the self righteous bs that honestly kills having kids for me. Ah yes there are so many other self actualized parents out there trust me. Reeks of bullshit honestly. Y'all motherfuckers at work are the lamest fucking stereotypes and you fit this post you're complaining about to a t.

y'all are so self actualized why do you look like a piece of shit and literally can only bring one dimensional conversation about your dumb ass kids who are dumber than your ass and why the fuck should I care. It's embarrassing honestly. Go do some shit that doesn't involve your stupid ass kids and then maybe we can have a real conversation.

You're fucking talking points are so fucking generic it's embarrassing. Y'all get together and talk about the same stupid shit with your kids and it's like a fucking support group for boringness. God I hate it.
Can you calm it down with the weird hostility? Why create a thread if you can't even handle answering posts properly?
I don't look like a piece of shit by the way. And I'm no "motherfucking stereotype" either, thank you.
Such an immature way of communicating, yuk.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you calm it down with the weird hostility? Why create a thread if you can't even handle answering posts properly?
I don't look like a piece of shit by the way. And I'm no "motherfucking stereotype" either, thank you.

agreed my apologies I just woke up and this was a short sighted response I will edit

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

Damn, I actually missed this part...

"why do you look like a piece of shit and literally can only bring one dimensional conversation about your dumb ass kids who are dumber than your ass and why the fuck should I care. It's embarrassing honestly. Go do some shit that doesn't involve your stupid ass kids and then maybe we can have a real conversation.

What the fuck. You're the one who should be embarrassed, OP... Horp responded way more civilly than I would have. What an incredibly hostile, nasty, and bad faith response, jesus christ.

Mandikiri

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Boston, MA.
Nothing will ever change my mind on not having kids. Not having kids is something I accepted for a long time.

But I also do not have anything against that love having kids. Is their lives and they should do whatever they feel is good for them.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
agreed my apologies I just woke up and this was a short sighted response I will edit
Well my day is already ruined so thank you so much. I'm fucking sorry for replying to someone calling me a husk and saying I don't feel like a husk and that I (no one else, I just said -I-) feel more satisfied than ever since having kids.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
lol there will be people around regardless of your individual sperm donation dude. This is the self righteous bs that honestly kills having kids for me. Ah yes there are so many other self actualized parents out there trust me. Reeks of bullshit honestly. Y'all motherfuckers at work are the lamest fucking stereotypes and you fit this post you're complaining about to a t.

y'all are so self actualized why do you look like a piece of shit and literally can only bring one dimensional conversation about your dumb ass kids who are dumber than your ass and why the fuck should I care. It's embarrassing honestly. Go do some shit that doesn't involve your stupid ass kids and then maybe we can have a real conversation.

You're fucking talking points are so fucking generic it's embarrassing. Y'all get together and talk about the same stupid shit with your kids and it's like a fucking support group for boringness. God I hate it.

For someone who seems to have a hardcore confirmation bias that all parents are miserable, you seem pretty goddamn miserable yourself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well my day is already ruined so thank you so much. I'm fucking sorry for replying to someone calling me a husk and saying I don't feel like a husk and that I (no one else, I just said -I-) feel more satisfied than ever since having kids.

why is your day ruined if what you say is the truth

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Obviously most people who are older who don't have kids aren't going to regret it because most probably didn't want to have any. This isn't news.

I don't get why we're still having this discussion. If you don't want kids, there is nothing wrong about it. The only thing that is wrong is not wanting kids but choosing to have them anyway.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I want to have kids, but I definitely see a lot more people nowadays saying that they don't. Totally valid lifestyle choice. Kinda sucks when you meet someone you click with though and then it gets out that they really don't want kids. But so it goes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For someone who seems to have a hardcore confirmation bias that all parents are miserable, you seem pretty goddamn miserable yourself.

im sorry. The talking points are so similar it just feels like bullshit to me at times, especially when I've heard more than "it's the best thing I've ever done" on repeat from people I know and the limited articles I've read where people are willing to go full taboo and say what they feel.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I took forever to decide. We weren't sure we wanted kids, so we held off until we were sure. Once I hit 40, we decided it was now a hard no because we didn't want to start at that stage of life, so I went and got snipped.

Admittedly, there are times when I wonder what my old age will be like. Will I be lonely etc. A friend of mine reminded me that having kids was no gaurentee that theyd be there for me when I got old, plus I'd have more money to pay people to help (which sure as heck doesn't help with the loneliness).

That said, we are both happy and have very little energy as it is when we aren't working, so we probably wouldn't make the best parents.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
sorry don't want to be judgmental even though most of this shit in this thread has an undertone of being so fucking full of glowing bullshit it's ridiculous in its own right
Your edit isn't much better. Christ. Stop hoisting your suffering onto other people.

You either cannot or refuse to understand sentimentality and the value of human connection, so why even bother making this thread? Nobody is posting "glowing bullshit." It's all genuine stuff posted in good faith that you're shitting on because you can't seem to understand why people don't care about having nice cars or something?

And FWIW I do NOT have kids. But being a teacher for the past few years has for the first time helped me understand 2% of why I might want to have kids some day.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because someone on the internet just went hostile on me in the weirdest way. I get that if I fling shit, shit is flung back, but when don't fling anything, and get a truckload of hot fire back - that can ruin a day.

Ok report me and I'll take the ban. But I would say that shit is the thinnest fucking skin. Go ahead.

I'm over 10k posts and if I get banned for this bullshit I may honestly self request a permanent ban

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
im sorry. The talking points are so similar it just feels like bullshit to me at times, especially when I've heard more than "it's the best thing I've ever done" on repeat from people I know and the limited articles I've read where people are willing to go full taboo and say what they feel.

The fact that you think they are 'talking points' and not genuine opinions shows that you weren't really willing to have an honest discussion about the topic.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
A bunch of grandkids who just wanted to leave to go play Roblox and fortnite.

Just because we have kids does not mean they are going to be there when you get old. Ultimately, we still die alone.
Plus, if you're going to use bizarre examples of accidents... what about getting into an accident and being in hospital two weeks when your kids have no-one to take care of them? That'd be fun.

A sausage dog is about enough responsibility for me I think.

Infinitely more awesome too. :D

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I can never understand all these Darwin award-winning losers. I just don't get it. There's billions of years worth of direct lineage from the first single-cell prokaryote and myself, and it's going to continue. My kids are going to be beautiful, and happy, and they're going to look towards the future with elation.

"Bu, bu, but the planet's heating up!!"

It'll be a meaningful inconvenience, but even the worst case scenarios don't render the planet uninhabitable. We'll migrate further north until we've transitioned to clean energy and are sucking the carbon back out of the atmosphere. Humans are great at creating a problem and procrastinating at fixing it until the last minute, and then getting it done. And that'll be us with climate change. And my descendants are going to be there all along the way.
lol man I have to give you this, your post is quite refreshing to read, although I think you are pink coloring the climate change crisis quite a bit.

The drama of depressive folks in here is something. Funny how having kids right now is seen by some people as the equivalent of a crime, because climate change / pollution / whatever.

Of course life 50 or 100 or 1000 years ago was so much easier. OfCourseThor.gif. You know that time when my father was young and lost 2 of his siblings, because they died of polio before the age of 5.

Here's a pro and con lisr:

Having kids

+ make a little you
+ get free health care when your old as your kids will sacrifice a part of their life to look after you
+ watch them take their first steps or ride a bike
+ will be able to talk about your kids endlessly
- contribute to global warming and overpopulation
- less free time
- less money
- more stress
- they will turn out to be republican / Conservative
- less sleep
- more time spend commuting
- less holidays
- instantly look older
- you will become a husk of yourself as you will have no interest or hobbies and instead dedicate all time and resource into your off spring and not letting them falldown the stairs
-change nappies all the time

Not have kids
+ free time
+ more money
+ more holidays
+ continue growing as a person
+ less carbon footprint and don't contribute directly to overpopulation
+ could adopt a kid and really help somebody out
+ maintain youth and energy
+ more sleep
+ don't have a risk of kids turning racist
+ could YouTube videos of kids taking their first steps or riding a bike
+ more time for sex
+ develop meaningful hobbies and interests
- don't have free support care when your old as you don't have to guilt your offspring into looking after you
+ have dramatic viking style death ceremony

Don't have kids.

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, my wife and daughter are the best things in life and I don't even have a small ounce of regret about having a child.

It helps a lot with stress too truth be told. Coming home from an exhausting day at work to be met with not only love from your significant other, but also your child.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your edit isn't much better. Christ. Stop hoisting your suffering onto other people.

You either cannot or refuse to understand sentimentality and the value of human connection, so why even bother making this thread? Nobody is posting "glowing bullshit." It's all genuine stuff posted in good faith that you're shitting on because you can't seem to understand why people don't care about having nice cars or something?

And FWIW I do NOT have kids. But being a teacher for the past few years has for the first time helped me understand 2% of why I might want to have kids some day.

fuck man this shit is worse as an attack on me than anything I've said. Fuck off dude. I'm not suffering.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
For most people, having kids is the best thing they've ever done. If you don't get why that would be the case, that's fine. Why are you so fucking hostile in here?

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but you make some valid points but a baby crying is not supposed to be totally for you do you think parents enjoy it? It's literally a survival mechanism designed to annoy those around so someone will do something about to stop the crying.
Fair point, you're right about that. :lol

I'll rephrase, not that it's not for me, but I couldn't handle that life style for the amount of time it would require me to.

We arrive from work and we're both already exhausted and low on energy and just want to lay around, I can't even imagine the toll a baby/kid would take on us physically and mentally.

Last edited:

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but you make some valid points but a baby crying is not supposed to be totally for you do you think parents enjoy it? It's literally a survival mechanism designed to annoy those around so someone will do something about to stop the crying.
Yeah, have y'all never played Yoshi's Island?

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Zoonami you have a lot of growing up to do, yourself. Why are you even thinking about the topic of kids at this point.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For most people, having kids is the best thing they've ever done. If you don't get why that would be the case, that's fine. Why are you so fucking hostile in here?

i don't think anything I've said is hostile but the bullshit directed at me that I'm a suffering piece of shit is. I'm asking for studies and I don't think a single valid response has been posted in this thread so honestly Id like the mods to close the thread.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
fuck man this shit is worse as an attack on me than anything I've said. Fuck off dude. I'm not suffering.
It was not meant as a personal attack and I apologize for contributing to the hostility. As someone who's been considering the pluses and minuses of having kids a lot lately a lot of posts in this thread made my head spin.

Peace to you.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Ok report me and I'll take the ban. But I would say that shit is the thinnest fucking skin. Go ahead.

I'm over 10k posts and if I get banned for this bullshit I may honestly self request a permanent ban
Ok, not sure why you need to tell me your post count.
But here's an advice. Instead of saying "I'm sorry, I'll edit", then edit to something that, while being much less vile, still claim that mine and many others feelings about ourselves and our lives is "bullshit".
Like, why do you make about peoples feelings about having or not having a kid, and then claim that everyone that doesn't agree with your take on it is bullshitting?
Also - just so you know - saying that someone else is bullshitting isn't a neutral thing to say. You're not only disagreeing with that persons opinion, you're also saying that that person is a liar and/or bullshitter. Not cool.
So yeah, you did edit, but your edit is also uncool. So no, I wont say "ok fine you said you're sorry I'll move on". Cause you're not really sorry for anything.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I just had the thought that every single adult parent in my direct line, all the way back to the first spark of single cellular life, was able to succeed in passing their genetic material on to get to me. If I hadn't reproduced, I'd have been the first failure in my direct line in over 2,000,000,000 years. It took science for me to do it (IVF), but now I have 3 and I only have to raise one of them (Miles' brother and sister are being grown/raised by different parents up in Michigan).

You talk about your cool vacations and your nice car, but there is no better toy than a young child who thinks the world of you and wants to watch Star Wars. I had a lightsaber battle THIS MORNING. When's the last time you had a lightsaber battle?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
i don't think anything I've said is hostile

You typed this, right?

why do you look like a piece of shit and literally can only bring one dimensional conversation about your dumb ass kids who are dumber than your ass and why the fuck should I care. It's embarrassing honestly. Go do some shit that doesn't involve your stupid ass kids and then maybe we can have a real conversation.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Don't have kids so you don't feel lonely when you get old. It's a self-centered and overall bad justification to have kids.

Instead have kids so you can learn to love someone more than yourself, so you can truly connect with another being and find again the magic of life and consciousness being born in this world. They can truly bring back that kid inside you you though was dead. They remind you of what's real.

Be aware it comes with a new kind of anxiety, but it is worth it in the end.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The only thing I have noticed with childless people, and that have reached a age of +35 are that they can often be very self-centric and ego. Of course my anecdote.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
i don't think anything I've said is hostile

"Y'all motherfuckers at work are the lamest fucking stereotype"

"y'all are so self actualized why do you look like a piece of shit and literally can only bring one dimensional conversation about your dumb ass kids who are dumber than your ass and why the fuck should I care"
Do you even know what the word "hostile" means?

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
i don't think anything I've said is hostile but the bullshit directed at me that I'm a suffering piece of shit is. I'm asking for studies and I don't think a single valid response has been posted in this thread so honestly Id like the mods to close the thread.
The problem is you can't seem to understand that because you don't want kids, that doesn't mean those that do (most people) want them for valid reasons. If you think that life without kids is better, that is totally fine, and likely true for you. There is nothing wrong with that. But your total obtuseness when it comes to why people want to have, and enjoy having kids is ridiculous.

Bottom line, your take on raising children makes you sound like an angry 16 year old.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
That's okay. OP is full of anecdotes anyway, and only pretending to be interested in studies on the benefits of having kids.

I mean, if a person go into getting kids with the mindset "what do I get out of it" I would say you are wrong before you start.

Getting kids is a emotional roller coaster that never ends untill you die, since you will love them so much that whenever anything happens to them you are either sad or happy.

Example, last night, we had a fight with our 10 year old girl, where we stood firm in a very sensitive subject (for the kid) where you could see the panic in her eyes what we had decided and all the effort she put into trying to fix things...

Me and my gf had a talk in bed where both cried just due to the mental exhaustion.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at that quote above. OP going hostile because people have kids and talk about them. This is coming from a guy who referred to him and his wife as Dink the Clowns in the OP.

Go see a psych my dude. You're about to go Frank Grimes lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if a person go into getting kids with the mindset "what do I get out of it" I would say you are wrong before you start.

Getting kids is a emotional roller coaster that never ends untill you die, since you will love them so much that whenever anything happens to them you are either sad or happy.

Example, last night, we had a fight with our 10 year old girl, where we stood firm in a very sensitive subject (for the kid) where you could see the panic in her eyes what we had decided and all the effort she put into trying to fix things...

Me and my gf had a talk in bed where both cried just due to the mental exhaustion.

Don't worry, I get it. I was mostly commenting on the absurdity of the premise of this thread.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
listen I'm sorry I woke up on the wrong side of the bed I guess. I do not mean to be a dick or hostile to parents. I will edit.