• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Revenge of the Fallen, where I will always fall asleep for like 45 minutes during fight in the desert and wake up to the exact same battle in the desert.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing good about that film is the Devastator Transformation scene, which was cool as fuck. But then everything was garbage. Actually I take that back the Forest Fight was good but still Optimus is a fool for trying to kill them all.

Ugh such a garbage film

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Bay Prime is way too murdery.... like when he had Sentinel at his mercy and killed him...

Optimus wouldn't do that.

And that's why we got stuck with a season of rodimus prime. G1 prime is an idiot. He has an intractable foe whose underlings are all dangerously incompetent and collapse into inighting the second he is out of comission for even a minute....naturally he keeps letting him go when killing him would pretty much end the war instantly.

Hate the bay films all you want, but criticizing them because the soldier fighting a war against a genocidal enemy actually kills said enemy is deeply, deeply stupid.

It's like being pissed of at Vision for killing ultron. Or Iron man for snapping thanos. Or a 3rd act of literally any even numbered starwars film. The one good thing about the bayformers movies is that Optimus isn't nearly as stupid and irresponsibly self righteous as G1.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't make sense of these fight scenes. They never seem to be the actual focus of the shots; the camera is just kind of pointed towards them but not actually aimed at them. I can't tell who's who. I don't know what hurts a Transformer so I don't know who's supposed to be winning. Does it hurt them when they get their arms ripped off? Can't they just stick them back on? Does it hurt when they get punched? It's all just visual noise.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The only decent fight in a terrible film, and even it gets ruined by the terrible attempt to recreate Optimus' death from the animated film.

That said, I could listen to Peter Cullen recite a prescription checklist and get hype. The man is audible badassery.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
The way he says it doesn't sound like Optimus Prime or at all heroic to me. He sounds like a drunk asshole at a bar about to blindly start swinging until he falls over and someone has to drive him home.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
And that's why we got stuck with a season of rodimus prime. G1 prime is an idiot. He has an intractable foe whose underlings are all dangerously incompetent and collapse into inighting the second he is out of comission for even a minute....naturally he keeps letting him go when killing him would pretty much end the war instantly.

Hate the bay films all you want, but criticizing them because the soldier fighting a war against a genocidal enemy actually kills said enemy is deeply, deeply stupid.

It's like being pissed of at Vision for killing ultron. Or Iron man for snapping thanos. Or a 3rd act of literally any even numbered starwars film. The one good thing about the bayformers movies is that Optimus isn't nearly as stupid and irresponsibly self righteous as G1.

giphy.gif

Like, there's a reason why "Optimus Prime died for a bunch of NPCs!" is a standing joke in the g1 community. Old Prime was a bit of a moron a lot of times.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
You're goddamn right, OP. That fight scene was great and I'll gladly die on that hill.

Also, ROTF is a better movie than Godzilla 1998. There, I said it.

I read the novel first, and that scene was completely different. When I saw the movie my reaction was "What the fuck????"

Hold up, you read the novelization of Michael Bay's Transformers: Dark of the Moon?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I always found these movies really boring. I am an action nut but there were no peaks and valleys in these movies just none stop frenetic pacing that made the action sequences blur into one another. Even when there was no action everyone seemed to be on speed. The first one was ok but not anymore imo and the rest are actually annoying to watch and all the action feels the same.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoy most of the franchise because the action scenes are always pretty impressive. I appreciate how they went "fuck it, let's just go crazy" with the 4th movie where there's giant alien spaceships pulling stuff up from the ground then letting them fall, so you have these giant robots, dinorobots, cars and whatnot fly up then crash down into buildings and such. They went full on Dragon Ball Z at that point and I was totally in tbh.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I literally knew it would be that scene OP. Absolute kino in that shit movie. Dunno how people have trouble tracking who is fighting who in the movies. Pretty damn obvious from their shapes and parts of their vehicle mode showing.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I feel like it fails to have any real impact, both emotional (outside the nostalgia-fueled childhood love of Prime) and physical (never have giant robots fighting in the woods looked less like giant robots fighting in the woods).

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather pay a full cinema ticket to watch Bay choke at that Samsung conference, rather than sit through a Transformer film.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
The choreography in all of the fight scenes in this franchise is pretty damn good but because of the designs I can't tell what the fuck is going on. That's always been one of my biggest gripes with these movies: The designs are so busy it looks like I'm watching a horrible car accident fight several other horrible car accidents

I haven't seen Bumblebee yet but looking at the trailers they tone the designs down to look more G1-ish
The transformers in Bumblebee look like transformers, not too-complicated-metal-transformers as per the other films.
The intro is just jaw dropping.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I think the best scene is the testicle scene. Who would even think to put that into a movie.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, I like it a lot. The movie obviously sucks, but this fight is a lot of fun.

I actually think Revenge of the Fallen had some great ideas (Transformers globetrotting adventure, digging deeper into the lore, taking Optimus out of the picture for a chunk of the movie), but, you know... Michael Bay got his hands on it.

The resurgence of good Transformers media (animation, comics) has retroactively made the bay movie characters look worse with each passing year.

It's relevant to the action scenes because even a scene like that is still borderline inscrutable. What in the hell was anyone thinking.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Seems I might have been mistaken.
chicago.cbslocal.com

$18.5M Settlement In Transformers 3 Filming Accident

A Cook County judge has approved an $18.5 million settlement in a lawsuit filed by the family of a young woman who was severely injured while working as an extra on the movie Transformers 3

Looks like the injury I was thinking of, happened during the filming of the 3rd movie, not the 2nd. Pretty gruesome nonetheless.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Seems I might have been mistaken.
chicago.cbslocal.com

$18.5M Settlement In Transformers 3 Filming Accident

A Cook County judge has approved an $18.5 million settlement in a lawsuit filed by the family of a young woman who was severely injured while working as an extra on the movie Transformers 3

Looks like the injury I was thinking of, happened during the filming of the 3rd movie, not the 2nd. Pretty gruesome nonetheless.
Yeah that's grim wow.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate so much about how this is framed. Not even getting into the usual criticism of them being grotesquely overdesigned and visually unreadable, Bay so very rarely frames the Transformers like characters. These shots are wide camera pans that the Transformers just happen to be in as opposed to the camera deliberately framing any action or emphasizing any motion. There are rarely any chances to read a character's face that isn't Shia, there never feels like the action crascendos or is paced deliberately. Bay set off some explosions in a field and the animation team has to find a way to accommodate it all.

Compare this to even the fights in Bumblebee, where much more of the action feels like deliberate choices.

I kinda sorta give credit to the highway chase in from Dark of the Moon. It atleast has some focus and momentum, though there are still moments of so much visual noise that it barely can read as anything at times.

Or even tiny moments when Josh Duhamel slides under the helicoptor, firing a grenade, or Megan Fox has Bumblebee strapped to the back of a pickup. Those atleast feel like they have some measure of focus and intent.

Fun facts:

- Parts of the highway chase are lifted from The Island released 6 years prior to Dark of The Moon (oh.. and a stunt/double woman got here head split open by a snapped cable during shooting of the Transformer scenes):

- The Optimus fight in the OP wasn't finished on time for the international release of the movie as it required more rendering time because of last minute changes and the fact that it was in IMAX resolution compared to the other scenes in the movie.. Theaters in germany (and other EU countries IIRC) actually received the unfished version with a cropped aspect ratio.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I can do better action scenes than Bay. Hundred percent. You would be able to see everything and there would be cool choreography. Plus you have to setup the fight in an interesting way.

Just watch Beast wars.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No offense OP but that action framing in this scene is atrocious. its like if a 2nd grader directed a movie. your eyes have no idea what to look at. its piss poor at best.