• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately this is the MS people were worried about when they entered the console business. Like the MS of the 90s, they have enough money to buy out pretty much every developer and choke out their competition. They gave cultivating their own IPs a go, and when that didn't work out the way they were expecting, they just decided to remove choice for gamers by buying out massive multiplatform publishers.

Neither Sony or Nintendo can compete with that. Nintendo has created a niche for themselves and that's what Sony will have to do as well now.

After yesterday, I am very pessimistic about the future of console gaming.

don't give up hope. Some of us are old enough to remember this was Sony in the 1980's with the dominant Walkman and Trinitron TV's, music labels and catalogs (michael jackson), and even the PS2 era with DVD adoption and movie studios.

obviously, Sony has different areas of business right now that they are good at. But this is also why Microsoft and Activision and everyone is always looking for the next big thing. You have to keep moving and shaking or you get left behind really quickly.

Sony really was the dominant player back in the day! These things come and go.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I think Sony will reach in the IP base and pull out some old favorites like SOCOM, Killzone and Resistance. Sony will restructure and push their in-house to try to make up sales for most of the loss CoD in the long run... As much as this seems bad, This force Sony to use 1st and 3rd shooter IP's they haven't used since the Playstation 2 generation, and that's a good thing!

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
PS is still the market leader and will continue to be as long as it keeps on releasing enticing first party content.
I have to disagree. I'm not sure that's enough. While Sony is currently the market leader, I very much doubt the PS5 will still be outselling the Xbox 2:1 in six months time. A year into this generation, it is still to play for, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Sony wasn't the dominant player by the end of it.

The value proposition of Game Pass is simply ridiculous. Yes, Sony's first-party output is superb, and yes, some people will not switch, no matter what, but a lot will. This is a price-sensitive market. Ultimately, people will vote with their wallets, and at the moment, the Xbox ecosystem must look very enticing to a lot of gamers.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Capitalism sucks ass.

Yep. Unabashed fanboyism. I wonder if these people ever grow up.

The richest companies led by some of the richest people in the world in a time when income inequality is massive. And instead of being bothered by that it's herp derp weapon analogy stuff. Sony not even bringing knife they bringing spoon.

Watching people cheer this stuff is insane.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's games and hardware cost SIGNIFICANTLY LESS to make, and sell better at a higher price point for longer. Sony's business (make extremely expensive games that take ages to develop, sell really well week one and then capsize in price 3 months later and continue to sell via bundles and $20 discounted versions) simply isn't compatible with Nintendo's model.

Hence saying they would pivot into it and not that they are there right now lol. Even so, as is they have franchises that are comparable to Nintendo's in terms of raw numbers and we are already seeing this gen that Sony are trying to get to a point of having a higher average unit price by starting off $10 higher at $70 and taking longer to discount them.

In terms of budget (which we don't actually know first off) things are getting more scalable with engine advancements and other tech, no reason Sony needs to spend ridiculous amounts in comparison to Nintendo and again they can move into smaller more mid budget releases.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I think they will be fine. But they need to think of a long term play.

This is Microsofts vision gaining momentum . All these acquisitions have no weight until the studios start delivering heavy hitters. This will be a long wait until we start seeing exclusives rolling out every quarter that turn the tide of first party AAA to Microsofts corner VS Sony. What is scary for Sony is that Microsoft is willing to put out on such mammoth levels in terms of investment that success is inevitable and once it starts it will further prove to the board of directors at Microsoft that their business plan is working. And they will invest more.

I dont think Sony is in trouble or in a bad position yet but titans in the industry ( like Sony ) have been knocked down in the past. It will take some time but they need to ensure the momentum does not switch to far into Microsoft. The flipside to this success is not only better "games" but more money put into services and hardware. Microsofts vision is not just getting some cool games to play on xbox. Its to outright dominate the market from all avenues; it wants the xbox ecosystem accessible from any piece of hardware that has an internet connection. I think we are seeing the beginning of a major shakeup.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Guys Killzone and Resistance are dead IP.

The only IP I would place bets on is SOCOM but Sony would need to do a lot of heavy lifting as it's been missing in action for a long time.

It could be it's own Rainbow Six but I'm not sure how Sony would manage multiple MP projects. All that will do is sorta split the user pool.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony will be perfectly fine but they cannot really ignore what MS is becoming. At some point, just getting Final Fantasy is not going to cut it.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
For real. Reading the comments the past few days has been so weird. Just the possibility of Sony ending up second place means they're completely doomed apparently (forgetting they're already second place, but Nintendo stopped counting when it also happened during the Wii days of course). A lot of it reads like veiled console warring and fanboys that can't deal with not winning.

Nintendo was in the exact same position in 1996 when they were massively outspent by a huge non-gaming conglomerate that arrived on the scene and bought away all the third party support. Something they could never dream to compete with. 25 years later Nintendo is still doing great. In fact, their latest console may very well become the best selling console ever. They just needed some time to rethink their value add.

Playstation is not going anywhere. The Horizon trailer just dropped, I'll always buy a console that has games like that over Calladoody 3045. So I may not belong to the largest gaming demographic, I'm sure there's going to be enough of us. I reckon Playstation will still be the largest of the two this gen, but maybe Xbox overtakes them. The worst thing that can happen is arrogant Sony will have to be humble Sony. Plus side is, Sony now has to seriously reconsider the €79 price point.
The problem with this is precisely that Nintendo already made that pivot a long, long time ago and is very well established where it pivoted to. Where is Sony going to pivot to? It can't beat Nintendo at its own game, so where does that leave it?

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Capitalism sucks ass.

Yep. Unabashed fanboyism. I wonder if these people ever grow up.

The richest companies led by some of the richest people in the world in a time when income inequality is massive. And instead of being bothered by that it's herp derp weapon analogy. Lol Sony ain't even bringing knife they bringing spoon!

What are people thinking? We have a company essentially taking steps to become close to a monopoly in the game world and the only current big company in the market who can do whatever they please financially. And everyone like sweet COD coming to gamepass day one!

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
MS changed the game and Sony isn't really equipped to keep up. I think PlayStation can continue but it will have to adapt and play a different game. Games on PC day 1 is basically a guarantee sooner rather than later at this point. Stop trying to be a home console juggernaut and just sell whatever consoles you can and make money publishing games on PS+PC. The one thing Xbox can't take away from them is their strong first party stable.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
For real. Reading the comments the past few days has been so weird. Just the possibility of Sony ending up second place means they're completely doomed apparently (forgetting they're already second place, but Nintendo stopped counting when it also happened during the Wii days of course). A lot of it reads like veiled console warring and fanboys that can't deal with not winning.
Was just going to post the same. PS is either not harmed...or DEAD! There's seemingly no in between.

There's definitely an in-between.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
All this panic because the company in first place might end up slightly less in first place.

It doesn't directly affect me because I'm mostly playstation for exclusives and PC for multiplatform (and Bethesda and Activision games are not my cup of tea).

However, I think eventually, down the road, it might still indirectly affect me. A less profitable Sony might spend less on making their first party games, be more risk adverse when considering what titles to make, etc etc.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately this is the MS people were worried about when they entered the console business. Like the MS of the 90s, they have enough money to buy out pretty much every developer and choke out their competition. They gave cultivating their own IPs a go, and when that didn't work out the way they were expecting, they just decided to remove choice for gamers by buying out massive multiplatform publishers.

Neither Sony or Nintendo can compete with that. Nintendo has created a niche for themselves and that's what Sony will have to do as well now.

After yesterday, I am very pessimistic about the future of console gaming.
LOL This reads like bad guy MS couldn't do it the "right" way so now they had to "cheat" like they did in the 90's.
Hence saying they would pivot into it and not that they are there right now lol. Even so, as is they have franchises that are comparable to Nintendo's in terms of raw numbers and we are already seeing this gen that Sony are trying to get to a point of having a higher average unit price by starting off $10 higher at $70 and taking longer to discount them.

In terms of budget (which we don't actually know first off) things are getting more scalable with engine advancements and other tech, no reason Sony needs to spend ridiculous amounts in comparison to Nintendo and again they can move into smaller more mid budget releases.
That's antithetical to Sony's deserved brand loyalty and the expectations they've fostered with their fans.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
I LOVE Resistance and Killzone and even I can admit they are no comparison. I would actually prefer if they brought back the Socom name and instead tried to carve out their own tactical shooter niche than go head to head with an arcade shooter like COD. I actually feel like a solid Socom title that was made for PS5 and PC could do VERY well but that would be quite the under taking for sure.

kobayashimaru

Dec 1, 2021
I hope they don't as this pissing contest is getting stupid and isn't good for the industry as a whole.

But if they don't, and Microsoft hoover up, say, Capcom and SquareEnix, where does that leave Sony. Microsoft have the funds to slowly bleed Sony of third party support, and are happy to push the industry down the road to serious consolidation. I'm not sure that Sony can sit idle if they want 3rd party support for PS+ or Sparticus

It's not a pissing contest as the financials are too mismatched - Microsoft have always been the 800lb gorilla in the room. Now they have fully committed to using their resources to expand their gaming position there isn't much anyone can do to stop them.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
User Warned: Platform Warring
The problem with this is precisely that Nintendo already made that pivot a long, long time ago and is very well established where it pivoted to. Where is Sony going to pivot to? It can't beat Nintendo at its own game, so where does that leave it?
Somebody made the analogy between HBO and Netflix. Xbox has way more content, but most of it is a bit casual/trashy. I'm lapping it up because hey it's on gamepass so it doesn't cost me anything extra, but even their biggest games, Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon, I wouldn't have bought for €60. I still think Sony has the prestige content, the cinematic action game and story driven games, on lock. I have a lot of problems with the usability of the PS5 UI, but you undeniably start a premium entertainment center when you press the Playstation button. I turn on my XSX, I want to get out of that boring Windows screen as soon as possible. Sony is all about that premium experience, over Microsofts unlimited content. I think there's a lot of digital art they can explore, stuff like the Kid AmnesiA exhibition. From pure games to digital art and entertainment. Will they be the biggest like Netflix, no, but they're going to keep dominating the Game Awards and stay healthy that way.

Or if that fails, you know.

Vita means life.

Dsezer

Sep 22, 2020
Meaning it would be different if it was 2017. It's almost as if Xbox acknowledged their mistakes and made massive changes to better manage studios that you're not acknowledging because you're arguing in bad faith.

What does that mean? Are we not going to acknowledge that Xbox of old would've released Halo Infinite at the launch of Series X|S regardless of what state it was in and not give the studios a year delay to refine it?
How are you saying I am arguing in bad faith when I am clearly acknowledging Microsoft has a real chance with their focus on content? Look at my earlier comment. You are correct that they did acknowledge they mishandled studios, but synergy between different studios and Microsoft will not happen over night - this can take years - something Microsoft is not good at - yet anyway. Look at what's happening at RARE with their current project - rebooted once or twice.

The same goes for Halo, it took industry wide mockery for them to delay the game, otherwise it would have released in an abysmal state last year.

I own both consoles so Ill still be able to play all these games, however, it will be interesting to see how this generation plays out.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yeah, it's totally not because of a building trend where massive publishers are getting scooped up.

Cmon.
Well we went from one dominant player getting the majority of third party sales from years and years of partnerships to now where we might have another company who may get the majority of revenue. I really don't understand why some people can't switch platforms next generation if these games are that important to them? Sony still has a healthy stable of first party, as does Nintendo.

I have to disagree. I'm not sure that's enough. While Sony is currently the market leader, I very much doubt the PS5 will still be outselling the Xbox 2:1 in six months time. A year into this generation, it is still to play for, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Sony wasn't the dominant player by the end of it.

The value proposition of Game Pass is simply ridiculous. Yes, Sony's first-party output is superb, and yes, some people will not switch, no matter what, but a lot will. This is a price-sensitive market. Ultimately, people will vote with their wallets, and at the moment, the Xbox ecosystem must look very enticing to a lot of gamers.

In 6 months time I guarantee PS5 will still be hard to get.

The whole model that exists today is already flawed and I don't know why retailers even carry console stock when they get peanuts on each system sold. I can't think of any other electronics that is razor thin on margins like that. It's a flawed business practice that was bound to eventually change and now Game Pass offers people better options. Put it this way, Sony put out next gen games like Ratchet but who can play them if they can't get a system? Microsoft was pretty smart going full PC support and crossgen but Ratchet looks awesome and we need next gen only games too. It;s just a shame it's only on a console that is nearly impossible to buy.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Are you guys really suggesting reviving Killzone and Resistance as some kind of counter? LMAO Sony is screwed if this was their plan

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE Resistance and Killzone and even I can admit they are no comparison. I would actually prefer if they brought back the Socom name and instead tried to carve out their own tactical shooter niche than go head to head with an arcade shooter like COD. I actually feel like a solid Socom title that was made for PS5 and PC could do VERY well but that would be quite the under taking for sure.

SOCOM hasn't been relevant in almost fifteen years. It would be just as silly as trying to bring back Killzone and Resistance. It would just feel like a blatant, shameless "we have Call of Duty at home" ploy and everyone would know it immediately.

I really don't think there's gonna be a huge contingent of FPS diehards who just STICK to Playstation and refuse to move to Xbox. It's blatantly clear which way the wind is blowing, and the userbase will shift just like it did in the PS4 gen.

Dec 15, 2017
I don't want to be yet another alarmist, but I think they're officially in trouble for the future. They'll be fine for now and still have plenty to offer, but they're in position to lose so much on their platform, and a lot of which is some of the most popular franchises. They won't be able to afford to participate in this publisher buying business unless they bring someone much bigger in to the picture like Apple or Amazon.

They're turning in to a Nintendo console for being an exclusive focused console, but there's still a lot of market share available and still have a stable of multiplat studios participating, but I have a hard time seeing them keep their first place position much longer.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about global video games gunfight culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in other gunfights where you can become successful by bringing a knife. If you bring a knife in a global video games gunfight, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the global video games gunfight-loving public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Sony knives for their chopping needs. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and bring a gun to global video games gunfight, or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I dunno. I feel like the Final Fantasy on Xbox meme would be more appropriate.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I dunno. I feel like the Final Fantasy on Xbox meme would be more appropriate.

Here:

The Sony brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS5 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS5. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS5. Except if they want to play Final Fantasy XVI. Which will also come to Xbox Series X at some point.

Microsoft took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a PS5 over an Xbox Series X (except VR LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was PS5.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Wii U too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Sony is done.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
No one is being serious... For the love of all thing holy I hope not.
Killzone and Resistance are for sure not gonna cut it, but SOCOM has some potential. It really captured a zeitgeist back in the days of early online console play, and it wasn't trying to emulate or be an "X-killer". It very much had (and has) it's own unique identity.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
LOL This reads like bad guy MS couldn't do it the "right" way so now they had to "cheat" like they did in the 90's.

Oh please, I had this exact same fear 20 years ago. No one is claiming any company is the "good guy" but let's not pretend Microsoft is the paragon of consumer choice and what's their doing isn't actively harmful to the game industry.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What did Sony expected when they try to lock down every major release from Japan with exclusivity ? That xbox will wait for another slap in the face every year ? You get what you deserve I guess .

It's a little cringe albeit endearing that you think Xbox is doing all of this in response to Sony snapping up major Japanese content, or in response to Sony at all to be honest.

People treating this like Microsoft was some underdog who got sick of being bullied in the playground by someone who is now getting their comeuppance need to stop lol it's absurd.

AstroLad

Oct 31, 2017
msft got to duck regulatory scrutiny for like decades at this point because regulators and the public were basically bored of them after all their misbehavior in the 90s. has let them get away with a bunch of shady shit, and don't worry the head of the DOJ now is a former microsoft shill (along with like 90% of washington) so yeah should be interesting hopefully there's at least some pressure from someone, even if its not us regulators

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's a little cringe albeit endearing that you think Xbox is doing all of this in response to Sony snapping up major Japanese content, or in response to Sony at all to be honest.

People treating this like Microsoft was some underdog who got sick of being bullied in the playground by someone who is now getting their comeuppance need to stop lol it's absurd.
MS is not doing this to kill Sony or even hurt them. They are fighting a large future battle with Meta, Google, Apple and Amazon.

When MS said a console box isn't the further, believe them. One day it will just be any box that can run a service.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are you saying I am arguing in bad faith when I am clearly acknowledging Microsoft has a real chance with their focus on content? Look at my earlier comment. You are correct that they did acknowledge they mishandled studios, but synergy between different studios and Microsoft will not happen over night - this can take years - something Microsoft is not good at - yet anyway. Look at what's happening at RARE with their current project - rebooted once or twice.

The same goes for Halo, it took industry wide mockery for them to delay the game, otherwise it would have released in an abysmal state last year.

I own both consoles so Ill still be able to play all these games, however, it will be interesting to see how this generation plays out.
You're operating on confirmation bias and viewing things very simplistically rather than reasonably analyzing the complex and complicated nature it all is and seeing both the pros and cons. MS has allowed full creative control to their studios and Rare has made their biggest hit in Sea of Thieves and it's still going strong in its 4th year with continued support. MS has allowed a small group in Rare release Grounded in early access which has been a minor hit and to take as much time to react to feedback and refine and polish it before it's full release. This agency has allowed Rare time to tinker with Everwild and figure out what its gameplay loop will ultimately be. Now it's possible it may end up getting canceled. So be it. That happens. But you're being disingenuous when you're solely using it to frame a biased narrative that's not reflective of the overall picture.

Same with Halo.

Oct 27, 2017
MS is so rich they can basically just force the gaming industry to submit by buying out everything. Fun times.

I don't think there is a player in the industry who can compete in this, so yeah, the industry is basically at MS' every whim at this point. MS has shown it is willing to just go for it with the recent acquisition.
Yeah, not so happy about this, as the massive consolidation will definitely long-term negatively impact the big(ger) budget single player story driven console games I primarily play. After all, the casual multiplayer games like COD, Fortnite, etc. definitely subsidize the platform holder's investments in producing the types of games I like. Not liking the prospects of gaming looking more like a Netflix service down the road. I have Netflix and never watch due to how poor are derivative the content has become. And they just keep pumping up the subscription price. The only reason I keep it is because my kids watch it incessantly for the kid-oriented content and even that is garbage!

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
MS is not doing this to kill Sony or even hurt them. They are fighting a large future battle with Meta, Google, Apple and Amazon.

When MS said a console box isn't the further, believe them. One day it will just be any box that can run a service.
Yes they are in a competition with several American mega corporations that are far too large and dominant. They wield way way too much power and influence.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
What did Sony expected when they try to lock down every major release from Japan with exclusivity ? That xbox will wait for another slap in the face every year ? You get what you deserve I guess .
I'm pretty sure MS didn't approach this deal because they were pissed off about a bunch of JP games being PS exclusive lmao.

This has everything to do with GP and the Metaverse. The fact Kotick wanted to sell ActiBlizz to FB is a dead giveaway.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh please, I had this exact same fear 20 years ago. No one is claiming any company is the "good guy" but let's not pretend Microsoft is the paragon of consumer choice and what's their doing isn't actively harmful to the game industry.
How is it harmful to the game industry? The game industry is massive and continuing to expand. If Microsoft didn't buy Bethesda and Activision, some other corporation likely would, and if they didn't Bethesda and Activision were likely headed to financial trouble filled with layoffs and dissolving of studios.

These posts are so silly as if any industry remains the same and there aren't multiple forces and shifts happening all the time that can and will disrupt things.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if I knew, I would be working for Sony rather than posting here. But some ideas are:

1. The model of what they did with Housemarque and what Nintendo did with Next Level Games could be a viable model here. It's also the type of thing Microsoft did with Double Fine.

Returnal is fantastic and the type of thing very few other studios can make. But without Sony's budget and backing, I'm not sure it ever would have been made. Nintendo did something similar with Next Level Games which resulted in Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3. Microsoft did the same thing with Double Fine which will pay off with whatever they've been working on since Psychonauts 2 I think there are a ton of other similarly sized studios that they could definitely finance or acquire to make bigger budget titles. But remember, it's not so much about the budget of the titles as it is about their perceived quality. There are a ton of other studios out there that make cool stuff.

Again, it's not about competing with Microsoft, but rather about distinguishing themselves from Microsoft (as Nintendo was able to do). A lot of core gamers don't care about the types of games that Bethesda and Activision make.

2. They're still a market leader and can offer their own games for a sub price as well if they want to directly compete. Especially so if they dip into software that predates PS4 and offer emulation based solutions. There is a ton of stuff there. A deal with Square Enix, Namco Bandai, Sega, Capcom, Konami, or some other big Japanese publisher to make all of their content available would be killer here too.

3. They can push VR more heavily to distinguish themselves since Microsoft doesn't seem to be focusing much on that. If ever VR was going to grow beyond a niche thing, it's now with all of the metaverse garbage happening. PSVR was sort of them getting their feet wet. I think PSVR2 is what they were always working towards in terms of making an actual market impact.

4. NFTs (I kid).

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Those mentioning Killzone or Resistance as Sony's response to COD are delusional. They'd be much better off with a brand new IP.