• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reuters has published this article about the upcoming retirement of the Japanese Emperor and they have created an infographic showing the line of succesion for the Japanese Royal family and what year each member was born in: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ented-situation-retirement-idUSKCN1RK2KA?il=0

JAPAN-ROYALS.jpg

TOKYO (Reuters) - When Japanese Emperor Akihito abdicates on April 30, he and Empress Michiko will fade into retirement after decades in the spotlight.

The imperial couple's days have long been busy. They typically hosted hundreds of ceremonies and audiences annually, made at least three domestic trips per year, and have visited over 50 countries.

Nearly all that will end when his son, Crown Prince Naruhito, becomes emperor on May 1 after Akihito steps down, the first abdication by a Japanese monarch in two centuries.

"The new emperor must become a new symbol," said Makoto Watanabe, a former aide to Akihito. "The (retiring) emperor has thought seriously about how to avoid the problem of dual authority. His daily schedule is expected to almost completely disappear."

The retired couple, to be known as emperor emeritus and empress emerita, will return to Togu Palace, where they lived before Akihito became emperor, after a stay in a now-vacant imperial residence while their new home is renovated.

They will have fewer aides, but the government will still pay their living expenses.

Oct 27, 2017
But they don't have any power at all, correct? Google tells me it's just a couple symbolic things and probably heavily suggested to do a lot of people-schmoozing.

Is this really a big deal?

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mako and Kako could be twins, damn. I like that one has her hair to the left and one to the right lol

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to be crass but: who the fuck cares

EDIT: I don't mean about the thread, but about who is the emperor.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
If Princess Toshi had a male child would he become next in line?
From Wikipedia:

"The Imperial Throne shall be succeeded to by a male offspring in the male line belonging to the Imperial Lineage". The line of succession is detailed in Article 2 as:
  1. The eldest son of the Emperor
  2. The eldest son of the Emperor's eldest son
  3. Other descendants of the eldest son of the Emperor
  4. The second son of the Emperor and his descendants
  5. Other descendants of the Emperor
  6. Brothers of the Emperor and their descendants
  7. Uncles of the Emperor and their descendants
If Princess Toshi had a male child, that would fall under number 5 on that list and he would become next in line as long as Naruhito doesn't have a son before then (assuming I'm understanding this correctly)

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Out of curiosity, is the emperor a figurehead or does he have power that he chooses not to use, like the queen of England.
They're a figurehead, they hold little to no power due to America's occupying Japan in the late 40s after WW2. Most powers were stripped from the Royal family. But in a weird way, they are head of the "Shinto" religion in Japan. A sorta Pope in a way. It's more ceremonial and a symbol for Japan. Also, in a way the Emperor can influence the way the country moves culturally.
Not to be crass but: who the fuck cares

EDIT: I don't mean about the thread, but about who is the emperor.
It's pretty damn crazy that for the first time in two centuries a Japanese Emperor is giving up the throne. The Japanese Emperor blood line can be traced back to something ~600 BC. It's one of the longest standing royal families.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What if Prince Hitachi has the other 3 fools assassinated and ceases control of the nation and turns Japan back into a true empire tho

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
it is the best succession plan in CK2

The UK changed succession to oldest child inherits regardless of gender about 5 years ago

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty damn crazy that for the first time in two centuries a Japanese Emperor is giving up the throne. The Japanese Emperor blood line can be traced back to something ~600 BC. It's one of the longest standing royal families.

The last part is still true but the bold part not really. I believe every emperor before something like 400 AD is not properly documented and falls more under the legendary line of emperors. STILL!

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The UK's also still a monarchy where the head of state is also the head of the religion of that state.

Our allies like their old traditions, I guess

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
But they don't have any power at all, correct? Google tells me it's just a couple symbolic things and probably heavily suggested to do a lot of people-schmoozing.

Is this really a big deal?
Symbolic. Same as UK.

Though they are much respected by the japanese than the Queen in UK.

And before anyone wanted to talk about WW2 atrocities and the royals' roles in them and the whatnot, please remember that a royal and the relationship with his subjects is between them and them only. Non-japanese like us do not have the cultural & historical context and understanding to know the intricities so please stop those 'down with the imperials!' nonsense.

You can comment about the need for the imperials and whether their roles are needed in modern times, you have that right. However If you are not japanese, shut the fuck up in regards to those 'down with the imperials!' comment as an outsider, you do NOT have that right. Only the japanese can comment on that.

This is similar to i can comment how good/bad Brexit is to UK but i sure as hell can't tell people of UK to 'tear down the union!' or 'Only with EU is the path to prosper!' because i do not have that right.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Sexist tradition won't let Princess Aiko take the throne :(

Judging by the hell her mother (and future empress) has been through, battling the ultra-rigid Imperial House, I think it's a blessing in disguise for Aiko to not take the throne. She has had hew own problems as well, with bullying at school. So by not being empress she'll have a chance at having a normal life.

Deleted member 43514

Banned
May 16, 2018
Yes, heads of state should be a popularity contest fueled by private interests and backing every four years like in a civilized country, that always works out so much better.
I agree 100%. Republicanism is an absolute disgrace and there is a reason why this family has been a unifying symbol for 2500+ years, why the British had their royals for 1000 years, why the Malays had their royals for 500+ years...monarchy and class-ism i don't like in principle, but no politician can unify a country the way a monarch can.

The Nepalese got rid of their monarchy in 2008 I believe and the republic is such a corrupt, ineffectual mess they are begging to restore the monarchy at this point. Same thing in Romania. The republic of Romania is such a joke they are trying to make the eldest daughter of the late King Michael the royal head of state, because the presidents are all corrupt as fuck. Just to have SOMEONE respectable who is above politics and she is really respected there. So much so that this idea is gaining traction. The president in office now has been convicted of voter fraud, embezzlement, blackmail and just passed a law that legalizes state embezzlement. Look what happened in Nigeria. Look at the USA.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The UK's also still a monarchy where the head of state is also the head of the religion of that state.
Symbolic. Same as UK.

There is a difference between being a symbol of power, having power but not using it, and using your power according to the wishes of your people.

The source of political power in the UK is still the Crown. In Japan, it is vested (indirectly) in the people. The UK Monarchy exercises it's power carefully, but unlike the Japanese Imperial Family it still technically has power.

The practical difference may be minimal, especially in the normal course of things. But the constitutional difference is significant, and would become far more apparent in times of emergency.