• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
FB whining about a lack of transparency on matters that affect users is about as Trumpian a move as I could imagine from them, and that's saying something.

Dec 12, 2017
Good guy Facebook trying to fight for the small guy and against that evil 30% cut and getting all that positive PR spin. Also Facebook:
ZOMYucN
FB sucks, but they're doing the exact opposite of that Apple doesn't want them to do in their complaint.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's way too much focus on the companies involved, and very little about the actual issues at hand. Apple and Facebook both suck in their own different ways, but I'm not sure how much that's material to the issue at hand.

Like, I think the world would be better off if Facebook didn't exist, but nonetheless, it's bullshit that Apple's policy isn't just to get a 30% cut (a policy I'm fine with), but also that Facebook can't tell users about that 30% when doing a price breakdown because Apple thinks it's "irrelevant."

It's really childish, stupid, and redundant to come into a thread with some sarcastic "thanks heroic Facebook!" when that's not even the tenor of the conversation. We all know Facebook sucks. What is that adding to the discussion?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The company that is crying because Apple is announcing their shady handling of private data tried to act like the lord of transparency? šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Apple certainly is nearing monopoly on app store market. 65-70% of all app store revenue runs through Apple's app store. And, there is a single competitor. Hardly a competitive market. App developers are completely at the mercy of Apple and have to hope for benevolent dictatorship from the company.

Just to be clear though, you don't even have to have a monopoly. You just have to use your power to engage in anti competitive behavior. For example, running the most important app store in the US and giving your own apps favorable positioning. Or using your competitor's app data, which you have access to, in order to steal market share. Both are anti-competitive practices.

Facebook runs the most important social network platform and gives its marketplace favorable positioning and has a long history of using everyone's data competitor or not to give themselves an advantage.

I don't think either are anticompetitive. I think some companies don't like the deal for using Apple's shit. But I'll trust the corporate lawyers on this one:

A "manufacturer's own products do not themselves comprise a relevant product market" and a "company does not violate the Sherman Act by virtue of the natural monopoly it holds over its own product." Psystar, 586 F. Supp. 2d at 1197-98 (quoting Green Country Food Market, Inc. v. Bottling Group, 371 F.3d 1275, 1282 (10th Cir. 2004)). Courts routinely "'reject the argument that a single branded product constitutes a relevant market.'"

They're not a monopoly nor anticompetitive. They're just unwilling to alter terms for the most part.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
All these companies smelling blood in the water and there's no one to root for; Everyone involved is terrible.
As someone who's owned dozens of Apple products over the last decade, I'm going to side with the other guys. Selfishly, I want them to be taken down so maybe apps like Game Pass and Stadia can come to iOS.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Facebook runs the most important social network platform and gives its marketplace favorable positioning and has a long history of using everyone's data competitor or not to give themselves an advantage.

I don't think either are anticompetitive. I think some companies don't like the deal for using Apple's shit. But I'll trust the corporate lawyers on this one:

A "manufacturer's own products do not themselves comprise a relevant product market" and a "company does not violate the Sherman Act by virtue of the natural monopoly it holds over its own product." Psystar, 586 F. Supp. 2d at 1197-98 (quoting Green Country Food Market, Inc. v. Bottling Group, 371 F.3d 1275, 1282 (10th Cir. 2004)). Courts routinely "'reject the argument that a single branded product constitutes a relevant market.'"

They're not a monopoly nor anticompetitive. They're just unwilling to alter terms for the most part.

LMAO. Is that unnamed "corporate lawyer" Microsoft's from its early 2000 anti trust case? Because he or she is making the same argument.

Oct 27, 2017
Why is Apple taking a cut of the revenue here? What service have they provided? If they think they deserve that fee, why would they feel the need to not disclose it?

How did we end up in a position where we have to agree with Facebook on something?

Apple requires all apps with in-app purchases to use iTunes Connect (their payment system) for it

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Good guy Facebook trying to fight for the small guy and against that evil 30% cut and getting all that positive PR spin. Also Facebook:
ZOMYucN
Bwahahaha

Honestly for all the talk of Apple wanting to be a concerned citizen and the greater good for humanity, they should just launch their own Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/WhatsApp competitors. Focus on privacy and user security, go after these other companies Customers. Hell, be a viable alternative for 10% of their users and you are doing the world a service.

Oct 27, 2017
Bwahahaha

Honestly for all the talk of Apple wanting to be a concerned citizen and the greater good for humanity, they should just launch their own Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/WhatsApp competitors. Focus on privacy and user security, go after these other companies Customers. Hell, be a viable alternative for 10% of their users and you are doing the world a service.

You realize their issues is not being able to tell customers, not the fact Apple is taking a cut, so the picture isn't really relevant at all

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's way too much focus on the companies involved, and very little about the actual issues at hand. Apple and Facebook both suck in their own different ways, but I'm not sure how much that's material to the issue at hand.

Like, I think the world would be better off if Facebook didn't exist, but nonetheless, it's bullshit that Apple's policy isn't just to get a 30% cut (a policy I'm fine with), but also that Facebook can't tell users about that 30% when doing a price breakdown because Apple thinks it's "irrelevant."

It's really childish, stupid, and redundant to come into a thread with some sarcastic "thanks heroic Facebook!" when that's not even the tenor of the conversation. We all know Facebook sucks. What is that adding to the discussion?
Pretty much how I feel about this.

Dec 4, 2017
This reminds me of that scene from Samurai Jack, with the robo-cannibal family who devour each other after discovering that they themselves are also robots.
Let these corps eat each other.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The OP isn't just about charging the 30%, but Apple not letting Facebook tell users that Apple is taking 30%.
Afaik you're not allowed to show the cut that Facebook either. For example you have to mark a price as $9.99 and it's not allowed to show it as "$7.99 + $2 transfer fee" on the invoice or in your online store. The same is true for pretty much every 3rd party payment method provider in the world like Paypal, Paysafecard, Klarna and so on. You're usually not allowed to show or add the transaction fee later as a separate amount.

It's good that someone challenges the current system. But you shoudln't try to dogpile someone while you're beeing a part of the problem on your own.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone keeps talking about how it's the same everywhere and that it's the standard, yet do people actually realize it's not the same here? Apple is taking 30% on iOS while Google and Facebook are taking 0% on Android. So it's not the same like people keep trying to use as a defense.

In its announcement, Facebook said it was not taking a cut of customers' payments. That means that on Android, "small businesses will keep 100% of the revenue they generate," Facebook says. But the story was different on iOS thanks to Apple's 30-percent cut of in-app purchases.

arstechnica.com

Apple wonā€™t let Facebook tell users about 30-percent Apple tax on events

Facebook says ā€œsmall businesses will keep 100% of the revenueā€ on Android.

This is what I was getting at earlier in a previous post where Apple charges 30% on things that Google, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc do not charge 30% for so saying that these practices are an industry wide standard and everyone is doing it is just flat out wrong. Apple is doing something different here and I don't think we should be cheering to defend Apple here no matter how shitty Facebook is.

If we want to use the defense that everyone does it then maybe Apple should do the thing that everyone else does.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Facebook is just mad as hell Apple is going to let users block their tracking garbage and is trying to take what jabs they think they can get away with at Apple.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ZOMYucN
Err...the point is that Apple is not allowing Facebook to tell the audience that Apple is taking the 30% fee. Facebook is not against the fee, they just want to be allowed to tell people that there is a fee via the app.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know so badly what's happening behind the scenes. There are several premier law firms at play here that smell blood in the water. I just cannot figure out what they are seeing? Maybe once discovery happens we will get a better idea.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone keeps talking about how it's the same everywhere and that it's the standard, yet do people actually realize it's not the same here? Apple is taking 30% on iOS while Google and Facebook are taking 0% on Android. So it's not the same like people keep trying to use as a defense.

arstechnica.com

Apple wonā€™t let Facebook tell users about 30-percent Apple tax on events

Facebook says ā€œsmall businesses will keep 100% of the revenueā€ on Android.

This is what I was getting at earlier in a previous post where Apple charges 30% on things that Google, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc do not charge 30% for so saying that these practices are an industry wide standard and everyone is doing it is just flat out wrong. Apple is doing something different here and I don't think we should be cheering to defend Apple here no matter how shitty Facebook is.

If we want to use the defense that everyone does it then maybe Apple should do the thing that everyone else does.
Yeah, in this case, Apple are definitely alone.
That public battle about showing Apple's cut is the tip of the iceberg, in that they're taking a cut when everyone else are waiving their fees.

If anything, I don't think the comparisons to Epic are helpful. I could give two shits that Epic has to leave 30 cents on the table for every dollar they make, whereas they're the odd man out in monetizing an initiative that's supposed to help SMBs recover.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Err...the point is that Apple is not allowing Facebook to tell the audience that Apple is taking the 30% fee. Facebook is not against the fee, they just want to be allowed to tell people that there is a fee via the app.
This can be read as: they want to focus all the negative PR upon Apple after Apple's iOS 14 brings negative PR upon them due to... y'know, all the data farming.

Too many corporate slap-fights now and I think we, as consumers, shouldn't get involved, because that's clearly what they WANT us to do.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take Apple over Facebook every time here. Amazed anyone would side with FacistBook.
This policy of Apple's is bigger than just Facebook though. Here's an example.

Let's say a developer has a chat app, and they were doing a charity funderaiser by offering a special sticker in that app when you pay for it. All proceeds would go to charity. Apple would take 30% of that donation since you're paying for digital content and the developer would not be able to disclose that 30% of your donation is not going to the charity.

Why would we want Apple to take 30% of that and not have the person donating be able to be informed that 30% of their donation is not going to charity?

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
What exactly are you siding for? Apple's stance that Facebook should not be allowed to tell anyone that Apple takes 30%?

Nope. That as a corporate entity that exists I'd rather Apple existed with all their shit than Facebook existed with all their shit.

Facebook is demonstrably a more devastating bad actor on society than Apple. I could care less about the app store cut Apple gets when Facebook is devastating democracy.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton

Let's say a developer has a chat app, and they were doing a charity funderaiser by offering a special sticker in that app when you pay for it. All proceeds would go to charity. Apple would take 30% of that donation since you're paying for digital content and the developer would not be able to disclose that 30% of your donation is not going to the charity.

Why would we want Apple to take 30% of that and not have the person donating be able to be informed that 30% of their donation is not going to charity?

An interesting hypothetical, and as a web developer I'd make a website which wasn't tied into either corporations walled garden?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
An interesting hypothetical, and as a web developer I'd make a website which wasn't tied into either corporations walled garden?

But your chat app runs on iOS because it's a chat app and a good place for chatting is on a mobile device. Your solution is to simply removed from iOS devices which makes up 40% of the US market?

Even then, why do we want Apple to be able to do that in that scenario?

gillian03

Oct 28, 2017
Ā« Apple won't let us keep 30% of the profits we make off of gathering user data Ā»

That's what I read...

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
But your chat app runs on iOS because it's a chat app and a good place for chatting is on a mobile device. Your solution is to simply removed from iOS devices which makes up 40% of the US market?

Even then, why do we want Apple to be able to do that in that scenario?

"My chat app runs on iOS because it's a chat app" is a nonsense argument. A chat app can run on anything. Discord runs in web browsers.

It's faulty thinking on the part of some developers that their apps are necessarily tied to platforms.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the app is targeted at business I think it doesn't make a ton of sense to ban the app. For consumers it makes sense, but a business would probably want to know that information.

I really wish apple would create some Facebook-like social media thing which focused on people's privacy as a key feature. I think they could make a dent in the social media sphere if they pushed it right.
Unless it cost money to use (which means no one would use it) then it'd probably have to violate your privacy in order to be profitable. Plus Facebook already has a functional monopoly on social media so Apple's investors would probably be pissed to hear they're dumping millions into a doomed to fail Facebook competitor.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I really wish apple would create some Facebook-like social media thing which focused on people's privacy as a key feature. I think they could make a dent in the social media sphere if they pushed it right.

They'd have to make it cross-platform for it to be useful outside places where iOS has 50%+ marketshare, and Apple don't have a great track record in that regard. Music's available on non-Apple devices, but I think that's about it.

Like tipping? šŸ˜‚
I mean, kinda? America's tipping culture exists to give restaurants a legal and cultural out for not paying their wait staff a livable wage. It's pretty fucked up.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
"My chat app runs on iOS because it's a chat app" is a nonsense argument. A chat app can run on anything. Discord runs in web browsers.

It's faulty thinking on the part of some developers that their apps are necessarily tied to platforms.

So what you're saying is native apps are pointless and we should all be using webapps instead, right?

Plus you're sidestepping why we want to defend Apple's ability to do this to begin with? Why would we want them to have the ability to take 30% from a charity fundraiser and not tell the person donating where there money is going? What's the benefit here to the consumer? What's the downside from allowing this to happen for the consumer?

Jun 20, 2019

Any other platform that charges for micro transactions would be the same. If you set up a payment option with PayPal there would be a cut and the giver isn't told. If you pay with Visa or MasterCard, same deal. If you've given money to a GoFundMe, same thing.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Any other platform that charges for micro transactions would be the same. If you set up a payment option with PayPal there would be a cut and the giver isn't told. If you pay with Visa or MasterCard, same deal. If you've given money to a GoFundMe, same thing.

Are there policies that explicitly prohibit an app to disclose that a percentage of your money is going towards fees though if you use those services? Apple is actively denying the ability to disclose those fees. Kickstarters for example can explicitly point out what percent of your donation is going to Kickstarter. Let's also not ignore that the percentage difference for PayPal, Visa, Mastercard, and GoFundMe are massively smaller compared to 30% for Apple. I think someone donating cares a bit less about 1 or 2% not going to a cause while near 1/3rd of your donation isn't.

Jun 20, 2019
Are there policies that explicitly prohibit an app to disclose that a percentage of your money is going towards fees though if you use those services? Apple is actively denying the ability to disclose those fees. Kickstarters for example can explicitly point out what percent of your donation is going to Kickstarter. Let's also not ignore that the percentage difference for PayPal, Visa, Mastercard, and GoFundMe are massively smaller compared to 30% for Apple. I think someone donating cares a bit less about 1 or 2% not going to a cause while near 1/3rd of your donation isn't.
I'm pretty sure charitable donations are exempt from the Apple payment processing requirement.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
So what you're saying is native apps are pointless and we should all be using webapps instead, right?

Plus you're sidestepping why we want to defend Apple's ability to do this to begin with? Why would we want them to have the ability to take 30% from a charity fundraiser and not tell the person donating where there money is going? What's the benefit here to the consumer? What's the downside from allowing this to happen for the consumer?

Not at all. I love native apps! I actually kind of dislike Electron apps and their ilk so please don't put words in my mouth.

All I'm saying is if you base your business on another companies artificial market, then you play by their rules. Be that YouTube, Twitch, Mixer, Apple, Google, or whatever. It's your choice where you make your money and you abide by their rules. That's on you and your choice. You knew what you were getting into.

Think yourself lucky that unlike Mixer that market didn't get removed. So far.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure charitable donations are exempt from the Apple payment processing requirement.

But can you sell a digital good with the funds for that digital good going to charity? Or is that strictly just a charity donation?

Not at all. I love native apps! I actually kind of dislike Electron apps and their ilk so please don't put words in my mouth.

All I'm saying is if you base your business on another companies artificial market, then you play by their rules. Be that YouTube, Twitch, Mixer, Apple, Google, or whatever. It's your choice where you make your money and you abide by their rules. That's on you and your choice. You knew what you were getting into.

Think yourself lucky that unlike Mixer that market didn't get removed. So far.

Just because there are rules doesn't mean those rules shouldn't be challenged and pressure to be put on to change them when the net result can be a benefit to the consumer. I'm on the side that pressure should be made to change these policies because it would be better for consumers and small businesses.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
But can you sell a digital good with the funds for that digital good going to charity? Or is that strictly just a charity donation?

Just because there are rules doesn't mean those rules shouldn't be challenged and pressure to be put on to change them when the net result can be a benefit to the consumer. I'm on the side that pressure should be made to change these policies because it would be better for consumers and small businesses.

Fair enough. And in my business I advise my customers to never rely on social media or the charlatans who tell them social media will lead them to success. Each to their own.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. And in my business I advise my customers to never rely on social media or the charlatans who tell them social media will lead them to success. Each to their own.
Sure, screw Facebook, but this really isn't about Facebook in my opinion; this is about Apple's policies and Facebook is one of the few companies who has the clout to actually challenge those policies against Apple. So while I'm all for shitting on Facebook, that doesn't change the fact that what they are challenging I believe should change because it will have a wider impact that benefits people well beyond Facebook. To want to side with Apple on this because Facebook is involved would be like you going against a smaller business who has the same issue and is pushing back against the same policy only because Facebook would benefit from such a policy change too.