• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Not by Apple. For various reasons.
Why? They're one of the only tech companies that has a great track record of security and data privacy, while being heavily invested in AI. As for the upgrade jokes or repairability, how does that work for Tesla's drivetrain or software? They charge for autopilot on used sales.

The more companies entering the EV market and scaling the industry, the better. Traditional automakers lack the financial incentive or means to scale the industry quickly enough.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes. The iCar, for the low, low cost of $100,000. Fuck off Apple and the tech bros.

Will never own a Apple product again.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Man. There are so many jokes I could make to this news. I honestly don't know which one best encapsulates how wierd a decision it is for Apple to get into the Automotive sector.

I mean, how are they going to lock down the car. Its against the law to prevent third party repair for Automotive.

I don't mean to minimize the effort that goes into EV development because it is still substantial, but *relatively speaking*, it makes sense that a lot of electronics companies are considering EV development because they actually are drastically simpler mechanically to design and manufacture (particularly design) than ICE vehicles. It's essentially making a coach that sits atop the battery/motor(s)/running gear "skateboard". This is a major factor why Tesla is so easily able to ace crash tests, because they are building a vault like coach that sits on the board, eliminating the thousands of parts and panels under the hood/undercarriage that impact structural integrity due to engineering concerns. Now certainly they are making up for some of that with the complexity of the onboard computers and electronics, but that's all much easier and more feasible to manufacture (with much fewer subcontract manufacturers like Delphi/Takata/Tremec/Borg-Warner/etc due to the simplified complexity of manufacturing) than trying to design everything that goes into a current ICE vehicle.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? They're one of the only tech companies that has a great track record of security and data privacy, while being heavily invested in AI. As for the upgrade jokes or repairability, how does that work for Tesla's drivetrain or software? They charge for autopilot on used sales.

The more companies entering the EV market and scaling the industry, the better. Traditional automakers lack the financial incentive or means to scale the industry quickly enough.
Those are not really jokes and I do not like Tesla's approach either.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they really will try to target the luxury segment. Phones even at $1k, is still attainable by most people but a $70k plus car is a whole other demographic. By 2024, Tesla will have their battery cost down enough to sell a EV around $25k.

Should be interesting to see where Apple slots in to the crowded EV market.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They have their hands in enough markets already.

So why aren't more companies pumping out electric cars? Should we just wait for GE and Ford and co. to do something?

You know General Electric even sold health insurance? Samsung makes dishwashers and fridges and air conditioning and freight boats.

This reminds me of how regulators and co. are always talking about the evil "GAFA", always omitting Microsoft.

Name the top five most awful CEOs? "Bezos, Musk, and uh that's all I know", while the big arms dealers and oil pumpers are forgotten behind the curtain.

People are lacking perspective, with opinions mainly formed by headlines.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So why aren't more companies pumping out electric cars? Should we just wait for GE and Ford and co. to do something?

You know General Electric even sold health insurance? Samsung makes dishwashers and fridges and air conditioning and freight boats.

This reminds me of how regulators and co. are always talking about the evil "GAFA", always omitting Microsoft.

Name the top five most awful CEOs? "Bezos, Musk, and uh that's all I know", while the big arms dealers and oil pumpers are forgotten behind the curtain.

People are lacking perspective, with opinions mainly formed by headlines.
đź’Ż

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Those are not really jokes and I do not like Tesla's approach either.
They are jokes. How much of a vehicles electronic systems are upgradeable or replaceable with non-OEM parts these days? Basically none, from any manufacturer.

Wear parts like brakes, suspension, tires, wheels etc are. Do you think Apple are going to come up with some proprietary tech for these items? Electric cars are literally the battery pack, VCU and motor. They don't have hundreds to thousands of individual components in the same way an internal combustion engine operates.

Those 3 major components are always controlled by the automaker. EV's are infinitely more simple than an IC engine and more reliable due to less moving parts / heat.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
If their pricing is anything like their other products then I'll never be able to drive one. Guessing $100k and up if it's legitimately a car. Who knows, maybe they'll figure out a subscription model that doesn't require ownership.
You can't afford a Mac? They aren't building this for millionaires (if they are building a car at all.).
You all are acting like they make the vertu phones.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They are jokes. How much of a vehicles electronic systems are upgradeable or replaceable with non-OEM parts these days? Basically none, from any manufacturer.

Wear parts like brakes, suspension, tires, wheels etc are. Do you think Apple are going to come up with some proprietary tech for these items? Electric cars are literally the battery pack, VCU and motor. They don't have hundreds to thousands of individual components in the same way an internal combustion engine operates.

Those 3 major components are always controlled by the automaker. EV's are infinitely more simple than an ICE engine and more reliable due to less moving parts / heat.

Yup, and considering their supply chain knowledge should also apply to cars they're probably actually pretty well set up for this. Certainly way the hell more than the EV startups that've yet to release any actual product.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wonder if they are planning on buying a bunch of companies to get their tech because they are way the hell behind at this point.

Dec 25, 2018
Wonder how they'll make a walled garden out of cars. 'sorry your car can only be serviced by a qualified Apple Genius, do not attempt to change the tires on your own if you value your warranty'.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I swear that I have been hearing about the so called "Apple car" for the better part of a decade now, with talks dying down every so often but then always managing to come back. At this point, I will believe it when I see it.

Still though, Apple's iPhones are pretty damn solid devices and better than any competition, so if it does happen I will be curious to see it

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how they'll make a walled garden out of cars. 'sorry your car can only be serviced by a qualified Apple Genius, do not attempt to change the tires on your own if you value your warranty'.
they would have a ton of better competition in the car space than they currently do with phones and laptops. they aren't gonna leapfrog everybody with cars because a bunch of companies have been spending billions on r&d for years.

Oct 25, 2017
This will be the new "Apple has a television in the works" rumor. First they were building one, then they scrapped the car division, now they're back to building one.

I wouldn't expect to this to be under 85-90K and this isn't an attempt at an "Apple tax" joke. New car tech always costs premiums and they don't have a way to allow stuff to move down line yet.

Repair was the first thing that entered my mind. Only can be repaired by them, and will be done at a ridiculous margin. Ill bet they would LOVE that shit. Makes me want to puke.

You know Tesla has this too right?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Those 3 major components are always controlled by the automaker. EV's are infinitely more simple than an IC engine and more reliable due to less moving parts / heat.

I mean, technically you can replace any of a vehicles electronics with non-OEM parts if you put in the effort. I get what you mean though, because the average person isn't going to do that.

Though if anything, the electronics that control an electric car are probably easier to replace with non-OEM parts, if we're talking making the car move. People are already converting gas cars to electric, so parts already exist. Now, it might not be as efficient as what the manufacturer puts in their cars, but if a computer fails you could still fix the car.

The only issue is, a lot of what controls the motors is also integrated into the functions of the rest of the car. Things like the climate control system, stereo, and gauge cluster. Those would be an issue by not using OEM parts.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I mean, technically you can replace any of a vehicles electronics with non-OEM parts if you put in the effort. I get what you mean though, because the average person isn't going to do that.
No you really can't anymore. You can piggy back and intercept messaging with ECU's but the base equipment is still required. What technologically advanced vehicles allow you to replace an ECU? Cars are so heavily integrated and software dependent these days that even replacing a head unit is impossible.

Though if anything, the electronics that control an electric car are probably easier to replace with non-OEM parts, if we're talking making the car move. People are already converting gas cars to electric, so parts already exist. Now, it might not be as efficient as what the manufacturer puts in their cars, but if a computer fails you could still fix the car.

The only issue is, a lot of what controls the motors is also integrated into the functions of the rest of the car. Things like the climate control system, stereo, and gauge cluster. Those would be an issue by not using OEM parts.
The people that are converting vehicles to electric are replacing basically everything. Engine management, infotainment, climate control, ignition etc. It's simply using the frame at that point.

Try replacing an infotainment system on a modern BMW, Mercedes, Audi/VW, Mazda or even a Toyota above a base trim level. It's either a monumental task or impossible.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Nah, I'm good. I'm sticking with Honda and Toyota for reliability and will probably get one of their EVs. I am adamant about reliability, affordability, and right to repair for cars.

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
Tesla has shown building a car from beginning and being profitable is really difficult.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Poor Sony car never stood a chance. :(

sony_vision_s_9943.jpg

sonycar_09-640x360.jpg

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
A decent spec MacBook Pro is like $3000 in canada. Thats like 6 months of discretionary spending. I can literally afford one, but it's way out of my budget
A mac mini is $900, a Macbook Air is $1300, a macbook pro is $1700. The 16 inch is $3000...

Talk about overstating price, especially when it comes to a device for your career.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
No you really can't anymore. You can piggy back and intercept messaging with ECU's but the base equipment is still required. What technologically advanced vehicles allow you to replace an ECU? Cars are so heavily integrated and software dependent these days that even replacing a head unit is impossible.

As long as the engine ECU is separate from the stereo/climate control stuff, which is pretty much always is, it shouldn't be too hard. An internal combustion engine still operates the same way it has for a very long time, and you only need fuel, air, and spark for it to work. Newer cars just have more control over those factors.

I'm running aftermarket ECU's in 2 of my cars. Though they're from the 80's, so it was a pretty quick and easy thing to do. Building a new wiring harness and getting them running just takes a weekend. A lot of engine control stuff is pretty universal.

The people that are converting vehicles to electric are replacing basically everything. Engine management, infotainment, climate control, ignition etc. It's simply using the frame at that point.

Try replacing an infotainment system on a modern BMW, Mercedes, Audi/VW, Mazda or even a Toyota above a base trim level. It's either a monumental task or impossible.

When converting to electric, you don't need to replace the infotainment system/climate control, as it will still work if it has power. That stuff generally doesn't need any information about what the engine is doing.

Though high end cars like a Mercedes will probably be an exception, as basically the whole car is run off multiple computers, but its still not impossible.