• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
www.reuters.com

Exclusive: Apple targets car production by 2024 and eyes 'next level' battery technology - sources

Apple Inc is moving forward with self-driving car technology and is targeting 2024 to produce a passenger vehicle that could include its own breakthrough battery technology, people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Apple has progressed enough that it now aims to build a vehicle for consumers, two people familiar with the effort said, asking not to be named because Apple's plans are not public. Apple's goal of building a personal vehicle for the mass market contrasts with rivals such as Alphabet Inc's Waymo, which has built robo-taxis to carry passengers for a driverless ride-hailing service.

Central to Apple's strategy is a new battery design that could "radically" reduce the cost of batteries and increase the vehicle's range, according to a third person who has seen Apple's battery design.

Making a vehicle represents a supply chain challenge even for Apple, a company with deep pockets that makes hundreds of millions of electronics products each year with parts from around the world, but has never made a car. It took Elon Musk's Tesla 17 years before it finally turned a sustained profit making cars.

"If there is one company on the planet that has the resources to do that, it's probably Apple. But at the same time, it's not a cellphone," said a person who worked on Project Titan.

Curious about this new battery tech

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for proprietary charging connectors. You'll have to go to Apple designated Genius Stations around the country. If your car breaks, will they just send you a new one instead of fixing it?

I mean, I guess Apple is actually putting their money towards something that can benefit people more. We'll have to wait and see, considering how long it'll be.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'll probably wait for the Apple Car SE because it's a better deal for my travel purposes and it comes in all those colors. Though not gonna lie - that space grey Car Pro Max looks pretty good - just feels like it would be hard to find parking.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this project was dead, but maybe they saw Tesla making such strides with a total nutjob at the helm and figured they could do it better.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
I like my iPhone but I'm not about to get an apple car. Knowing them the would do something and "brave" like leaving out the battery a s selling it as an extra. Or adding a refined version of something cars already have and "innovative".

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably one Apple product that will absolutely be out of reach for me as someone well embedded within the Apple ecosystem (and just got an iPhone 12 Pro today).

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man. There are so many jokes I could make to this news. I honestly dont know which one best encapulates how wierd a decision it is for Apple to get into the Automotive sector.

I mean, how are they going to lock down the car. Its against the law to prevent third party repair for Automotive.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No idea if I'll be in the market for a car by the time this actually releases, if ever, but I can't see it being anything close to affordable anyways. Hopefully it'll have some cool tech to gawk at.
I like my iPhone but I'm not about to get an apple car. Knowing them the would do something and "brave" like leaving out the battery a s selling it as an extra. Or adding a refined version of something card already have and "innovative".
They'll probably require an iphone or apple watch just to start the car.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man. There are so many jokes I could make to this news. I honestly dont know which one best encapulates how wierd a decision it is for Apple to get into the Automotive sector.

I mean, how are they going to lock down the car. Its against the law to prevent third party repair for Automotive.

The IGarage of course.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all laughing at this news while Apple will laugh when it looks at its bank account after releasing these

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone made the joke yet about how if it runs out of oil you'll need to buy a new car as the hood will be sealed?

If not, consider this that joke.

In all seriousness, I don't doubt that they (like many others) can design a cool car...the issue will be the supply chain and manufacturing needed to both get it done and keep prices low.

HyperionX

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone made the joke yet about how if it runs out of oil you'll need to buy a new car as the hood will be sealed?

If not, consider this that joke.

In all seriousness, I don't doubt that they (like many others) can design a cool car...the issue will be the supply chain and manufacturing needed to both get it done and keep prices low.

You joke, but the battery might seriously be non-replaceable.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple's television sets and cars have supposedly been right around the corner for like a decade. I'll believe it when I see it — or at least when Apple actually breaks ground on some assembly lines.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Drivers will need to perform a side wheelie for better reception and if anything breaks on the car, you will have to deal with the Magnavolt anti-repair protection.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
If their pricing is anything like their other products then I'll never be able to drive one. Guessing $100k and up if it's legitimately a car. Who knows, maybe they'll figure out a subscription model that doesn't require ownership.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
Apple should just team up with an existing automobile producer and strike a deal to provide their battery technology and additional help with design.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Apple should just team up with an existing automobile producer and strike a deal to provide their battery technology and additional help with design.
I'm expecting them to do exactly this. All of their project Titan vehicles have been exclusively Lexus vehicles. I see them all the time around my neighborhood and have seen them evolve from a rather large system to it's newest generation which is much smaller. Expect their entry to be a premium product based on a premium manufacture.

I must admit that they do a much better job with their current systems at detecting and maneuvering around pedestrians. And their system seems matured unlike other car systems out there right now. Even Teslas FSD has issues on your normal suburban streets, Apples system doesn't seem to have issues with them.