• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Whataboutism, disingenuous commentary and thread derailment over a series of posts; alt account
Currently there aren't any laws that would, let's say, impede people for being anti-LGBT or anti-transpeople. However, it's a moral stance to treat everyone the same regardless of their sexuality. Would you say it's more important that the law is followed and people are allowed their LGBT-phobia or transphobia?
No. But that's not quite the objection I have. In fact it's crazy to compare unjust civil right laws and drug use law in Japan. Unjust civil right laws are waaaaaay worse.

The question I had had more to do about what Capcom should do vs what Sega did. As much as I don't understand Japanese culture and their drug laws I can see why they would fire someone for breaking the law. That's what Japanese society agreed on. So in Capcom's case I think I'm also OK with Capcom firing the actor if they make the case that he misused the social platform... But we kind of need to be clear what is expected here.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Effing LOL at the "arrrghhhh it's out of context!!" boneheads. No, his victim-blaming tirade was pretty fucking clear to anyone with eyes and ears.

(I also like the narrative we apparently "destroy the lives of people we don't agree with." That they find a liberal-minded forum more troubling than 8chan is telling.)

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So where's the line then? If he sold drugs, would that equate to bad morals?
Maybe? Depends on the drugs. Depends on how it was sold. People would probably disagree with each other. That's not the situation though.

You're basing your argument on a lot of false assumptions.
  1. Youre assuming that an employee can only be fired if they break the law
  2. You're assuming that everyone who breaks the law must be fired
  3. You're assuming that a petition on a video game forum is a call to legal action

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well too bad. Hapilly we can still enjoy someone work and not agree with his opinion, right?
I agree that from a pure acting perspective, Reuben is the best Dante. However, this shit cannot stand and I'm glad that Capcom's looking into it (& will hopefully boot his ass going forward).

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Once again. Nothing I'm disagreeing with. But if Capcom gets to fire someone because they have shitty opinions, shouldn't Sega have a right to fire someone for breaking the law?
Nobody is saying Sega doesn't have the right to fire someone. They are just saying it's stupid.
Again, Capcom can do whatever they want, that doesn't mean we have to approve of it.
What do you NOT understand? What point are you trying to make right now?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The constant refrain of comments similar to this is really quite startling. Take your defeatist bullshit and go somewhere else. I'm sick of reading fallacious nonsense like "if you can't do everything you can't do anything." Kindly piss off with this logic. It's harmful, cynical and frankly just plain shit. People can choose for themselves what they want to do and how they want to support or pull support from various titles. They don't need to adhere to your particular stringent requirements in order to be recognized as being woke or something. Goddamn this shit is fucking infuriating.

I can do whatever I want. Being realistic isn't being defeatist. It's not like I said to do nothing.

But deciding to not buy the game isn't enough. The alt-right does the same stuff with things they don't like and it never works out in their favor.

whenever I read comments like this, I kind of assume that the person saying them is a sociopath that thinks people only do good things performatively instead of because they think it's the right thing to do.
Last of Us and RE5 came out long before these revelations. Didn't pay for RE2, dont play Street Fighter or Smash. Try again. Making decisions after stuff like this comes to light is pretty common. I was psyched for Kingdom Come when it was first announced years ago, then I saw that Vavras was spouting all kinds of alt-right, white natty bullshit. SPOILER ALERT: Didn't buy it and never will.

The only reason you would come in here playing that 'HAHA BUT YOU STILL TAKE PART IN SOCIETY' defense force nonsense is if you yourself are trying to defend the argument to begin with. And QANON, anti-blm and anti-metoo are odd ODD things to come and make your piece concerning.

Uh, thanks for your dumb opinions. I'm actually saying that we need to go farther than not just buying Devil May Cry V if you want things to change.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I suppose it was too much to hope this would be a rare case of someone admitting they were ignorant and wrong.

Nope, doubling down on stupid.

Straight up, if you think BLM is "doing harm," you are a racist.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
If people want to boycott, the list is long, Reuben worked on a lot of games, not only Capcom stuff.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Effing LOL at the "arrrghhhh it's out of context!!" boneheads. No, his victim-blaming tirade was pretty fucking clear to anyone with eyes and ears.

(I also like the narrative we apparently "destroy the lives of people we don't agree with." That they find a liberal-minded forum more troubling than 8chan is telling.)

lmao someone actually PMed me to try and tell me OP took everything out of context when I posted the first time in this thread.

There are some valid discussions to be had about cancel culture and mob mentality, but when you're streaming with people known for inciting harassment, believe in conspiracy theories that can cause legitimate harm to people, and decry social movements meant to uplift people who normally don't get the time of day from courts or law enforcement... that's not a simple disagreement. But the people pushing that narrative know that.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I can do whatever I want. Being realistic isn't being defeatist. It's not like I said to do nothing.
But deciding to not buy the game isn't enough. The alt-right does the same stuff with things they don't like and it never works out in their favor.

Uh, thanks for your dumb opinions. I'm actually saying that we need to go farther than not just buying Devil May Cry V if you want things to change.
And no one has said that just boycotting the game is any sort of ultimate long term solution. You are the 'only one making the conclusion that those posters' activism simply stops at their boycotting when that isn't necessarily true. People do the big things and the small things because it all adds up in the progress toward change. If you want to consider boycotting useless that's your own prerogative.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
YIIIIKES that response. hopefully Capcom make the right decision and give Langdon the boot for future games.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
OK. This is going to sound like whataboutism. And I swear it's not intentional. I've just been trying to understand what the goal here. Specifically regarding Reuben's shitty opinions. Are people who have shitty opinions not allowed to have jobs? I mean we literally have a thread on the same page where an actor committed a crime and the comments are exact opposite. People are mad at Sega for dropping an actor...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/up...-team-in-the-west.106221/page-2#post-18993871

EDIT: As a disclaimer because I know I will be accused of something. I don't like DMC, I didin't know who this guy was until yesterday, I strongly disagree with pretty much every opinion he has.
I suppose they are allowed but, the other guy said/did very offensive shit, and it doesn't reflect good on the company's values to hire a racist white man to voice a black character, Reuben is just another on the pile of DMC 5 controversies after the lead singer and the trophy, if fans express loud enough this isn't acceptable then Capcom would be forced to respond and make changes for the better

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
He pretty much needs to be recast for any future appearances of Dante. If anything, he's lucky he gets to have 5 as a send off. Casting him again after this and particularly his response would be unacceptable.

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone doing a thread with all Capcom games to boycott? And also add a tag whenever there is a Capcom game on sale?

Or was that just a one time thing?

You can if you want, but the THQ Nordic situation is very different (THQN's director of business and product development took part in that AMA).

The fairest analogue would be to boycott any games Reuben Langdon worked on (DMC, Street Fighter, MvC, Smash, The Last of Us, etc.).