• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Well, Langdon can go eat a dick I guess. But where does it end?

If you keep digging Itsuno doesn't like foreigners or something. Search tweets for other games too, maybe Troy Baker said a bad word in 2010 and we will have a chance to boycott TLOU2 too!

I don't know what people get out of this. Is it the thrill of exposing someone?
Well, it's kind of a shitty situation no matter what.

What Langdon expressed in that interview is very fucked up and I understand people wanting to boycott the game because he's a prominent part of it. Then again, games are made by hundreds of people so, I hope we're not expecting every one of them to be perfectly reasonable persons with impeccable moral standards because it's very probable you're inadvertently supporting some pos in every single entertainment product you pay for. We literally couldn't enjoy anything if we considered that.

That said, I feel it's perfectly reasonable to call out and boycott something when you have actual proof that there are assholes working on it, so, yeah.

OP
OP
Kyle Cross

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
The best course of action is Langdon faces being called out for these views, re-evaluates and realizes how wrong they are and renounce them and focuses on becoming a better person. That's the dream, but so often that isn't what happens...

Oct 30, 2017
Only took 393 posts for the Hitler comparison, impressive
It's more of how people think being entitled to a differing opinion also means minimizing the context, meaning, and impact of said opinion. Sometimes monolithic thinking regarding equality, consideration of victims of sexual assault, and not being an asshole can be considered okay.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
But this logic only works in this small circle. He's not being vilified by the whole society. Just this small group. So ultimately it will not make any difference to him. I think it's more important that the society as a whole understood what BLM and metoo are about than some random (yes random, 99% of people have no clue who he is) voice actor. And we are still very far away from that...
Ok so why exactly are you concerned? If this topic isn't going to affect change then why should it matter if people are rightfully angry or uninterested in supporting his future projects? For other people it does matter to hear that someone they've supported with money isn't just less than ideal but actively harmful. There's nothing wrong with letting Langdon and/or Capcom know that there are people who aren't interested in supporting someone with that bigoted mindset.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
exactly how do you know every single person worked on a game you bought isn't a total piece of shit?
You don't.

That doesn't mean you can excuse the people you outright know are pieces of shit without any regard for the moral questions the knowledge that their shittery now brings up.

You are only entitled to ignorance if, you know, you're actually ignorant.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Well, I mean in that case his social media presence is like 99% progressive.

https://twitter.com/ReubenLangdon

If one were to just scan over his twitter you'd consider Reuben to be the coolest guy ever. This is a case where post release a company can't control what a voice actor says. And it's been brought up before, but if you vetted the opinions of everyone on any large AAA game with hundreds and hundreds of people involved, all of them are going to have people with shit opinions.
He is the lead voice actor in a franchise for 3 games. He isn't exactly a voice over for a minor character. That would be plain incompetance on Capcom's end to have no idea they've worked with him for long enough.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I mean how does that make sense? They've worked with him for what 3 games now? Do you honestly think they were so incompetant to find this stuff out when he has a very open social media profile. He doesn't strike as the sort of person to go out of his way to hide his beliefs.

Japan seems very ignorant of the social media stuff especially if it involves foreigners. I can only imagine the blame to be placed on the casting company. But this game was probably in the works for a while and people were none the wiser. Hard to say.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I mean how does that make sense? They've worked with him for what 3 games now? Do you honestly think they were so incompetant to find this stuff out when he has a very open social media profile. He doesn't strike as the sort of person to go out of his way to hide his beliefs.

They probably did find it and they also probably don't care. I'd be very surprised if a Japanese videogame company would care about opinions on American politics on a VA's Twitter account.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
He's by far the worst voice actor in DMC5, so I'd see his replacement, whatever form it takes, as a net positive. Trash human.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
To stop rewarding and supporting people who think sexual assault victims (usually women) are liars and that black people are overblowing police brutality.

It is extremely hard to change a person's mind. And it is not fair to the victims of harmful ideologies to wait on their oppressors to come around, if they ever will. It is immoral to put justice on a timetable.

So the goal is to immediately create environments that are inclusive to the marginalized by ostracizing those with those harmful views. If a person with shitty views wants to integrate back in to inclusive environments, that's the responsibility of their associates and therapists.
But the premise here is that something will actually change. The reason I keep mentioning that ~40% of the US would agree with him, is not because I'm trying to excuse his shitty opinions, but rather because every single day ~40% of the US is being rewarded for these shitty beliefs. They have jobs, they likely receive healthcare etc. That's the reason why I think it's more important to fight for the issues but not against specific people. It's impossible to just call out 40% of population for the shitty beliefs and expect something to change.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): excusing bigoted rhetoric
well, these threads at least serve as a filter lol, the amount of users that get banned in these is incredible.

On the thread subject, well, I have always been a fan of Reuben's work, with dmc3 being one of my fav games ever, to me being a Ken main and him voicing him since SFIV and Smash Bros Ultimate, I guess one just have to sepparatte art from artist when it comes down to this, because as others have voiced, if by anything and every opinion these artist have we then begin to boycott games, well chances are most games will have someone that has different views on different matters, so will people end up boycotting everything?

The fact that he is open about his beliefs and even supports that everyone believes what they want, isn't that good enough? he is a great guy and I would hate to see this affecting his performance/job on all these awesome games he has worked on.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Japan seems very ignorant of the social media stuff especially if it involves foreigners. I can only imagine the blame to be placed on the casting company. But this game was probably in the works for a while and people were none the wiser. Hard to say.
Capcom has a USA branch that i'd consider to be very much active on social media.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But the premise here is that something will actually change.
Something will change by getting rid of Reuben. One less asshole is attached to a beloved franchise.

That's the reason why I think it's more important to fight for the issues but not against specific people.
I disagree entirely. I think you mainly fix systemic issues by both fighting for issues and against the assholes trying to impede progress. Black people in America weren't freed with a friendly town hall debate.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Ok so why exactly are you concerned? If this topic isn't going to affect change then why should it matter if people are rightfully angry or uninterested in supporting his future projects? For other people it does matter to hear that someone they've supported with money isn't just less than ideal but actively harmful. There's nothing wrong with letting Langdon and/or Capcom know that there are people who aren't interested in supporting someone with that bigoted mindset.
I'm concerned that these threads tend to be longer than actual issues threads. People keep arguing in this small circle who is shittier human being that is supporting a shitty human being. While there's plenty of people who openly support anti-BLM movement and they are on TV daily actually pushing their beliefs on others.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As a general decree: Anyone who believes that black people should forgive white supremacy is not a good person.

(In case you were wondering, yes; this kind of thing is why minorities have beef with gaming culture.)

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm concerned that these threads tend to be longer than actual issues threads. People keep arguing in this small circle who is shittier human being that is supporting a shitty human being. While there's plenty of people who openly support anti-BLM movement and they are on TV daily actually pushing their beliefs on others.

These threads are longer because people like you keep trying to make excuses for bigoted people so we keep arguing back and forth.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Something will change by getting rid of Reuben. One less asshole is attached to a beloved franchise.

I disagree entirely. I think you mainly fix systemic issues by both fighting for issues and against the assholes trying to impede progress. Black people in America weren't freed with a friendly town hall debate.

I think this is where we disagree most. I said it earlier, but I will repeat now. Trump is the best example of this. He did not create hate in people who voted for him. It was always there. He just harvested it to get elected. So Trump isn't actually a problem, he's just a symptom. It's society that need to change first (through education and legislation). First good step wold be restoring journalistic integrity (it didn't go away, it's just lost as a concept) etc.

Oct 25, 2017
And there on the list, but for now lets focus on this fool

Hell i see no reason why we can't focus to both issues

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
reuben has worked on a ton of stuff for capcom and is the owner of a quite prolific mocapping/visual design studio so, yeah he's prob unlikely to lose his job off of this just from that level of prominence and looooooong business relation (since 2002, which is pre-dmc3. his studio helped on that and is responsible for a lot of capcom's modern direction)

it' d be nice if he went up from that deep, dark conspiracy hole he's in though otherwise for this kinda stuff 'cuz like, come the fuck on man it's obviously garbage. dude seems to take everything at face value w/ an 'open mind' from the conspiracy circle world which also means believing the insane shit that's made up about the movements.

the qanon connection is extremely weird to me bc the shit he posts on twitter where he uses the catchphrase for that is like nearly nonsensical re: what that thing actually is
3akonKV.png

for real though, it's a bummer to learn he's in this deep since i assumed he was just a regular ufo/new age nut

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Trump is the best example of this. He did not create hate in people who voted for him. It was always there. He just harvested it to get elected.
The reason the hate is there is not because there is a lack of education regarding matters of white supremacy. We've been doing the work for 400+ years. Minorities are not at fault for not having properly "educated" white folks in the time since the first rich white European got that brilliant idea.

Straight up: America isn't ignorant on this issue. It is evil through banality. Education is not going to reach those who inherently disagree with the lesson. Thus, social ostracization is a key component to facilitating change.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
As a general decree: Anyone who believes that black people should forgive white supremacy is not a good person.

(In case you were wondering, yes; this kind of thing is why minorities have beef with gaming culture.)
lNUh0uV.gif

Whenever I see someone frame BLM as a refusal to forgive racists I die a little more inside. You literally can't reconcile forgiveness and racists when their basic ideology is hate.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Eugh....... goddammit, I really liked the English voiceovers.
Oh well. Looks like I'll be checking out the Japanese voiceovers in my future play through,

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
The reason the hate is there is not because there is a lack of education regarding matters of white supremacy. We've been doing the work for 400+ years. Minorities are not at fault for not having properly "educated" white folks in the time since the first rich white European got that brilliant idea.

Straight up: America isn't ignorant on this issue. It is evil through banality. Education is not going to reach those who inherently disagree with the lesson. Thus, social ostracization is a key component to facilitating change.
But you can't "ostracize" 40% of population. And education does tend to work. I mean I would have not had a clue about the systemic racism in the US if not for my high school (and I went to high school in very white area). I still don't know enough and can't experience it personally, but education did show me how intentional systemic racism is in the US. I think a lot of these anti-BLM idiots don't even realize that a lot of racism is coming from intentional government policies.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Threads on BLM and MeToo aren't at risk because of threads like this. There are many threads about not only MeToo but police brutality and voting and political legislation. I've seen them, I've even made a few. Many people in this thread have contributed to and made threads related to those subjects. The issue with those threads is people stay out of them to avoid these conversations all together. There are people who simply never want to take a stand at any point and never want to get involved when they should. These small events add up. The landscape of society is made up of people like Langdon. No one is under any delusion that criticizing Langdon's rhetoric is the key to the end of bigotry and they no longer have to vote or protest or donate just because they've boycotted a video game. But hearing about this shit and responding to it is important. The political landscape can't change if we just ignore when celebrities or writers or YTbers or vets or store clerks or garbage men say fucked up things.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But you can't "ostracize" 40% of population.
Sure you can. Most of that 40% aren't going on about how they think black folks need to forgive cops. So as far as my immediate quality of life is concerned, I don't care if a white racist is indeed racist (especially since I already presume the number of racists in this country is far greater than 40%), because I know there is nothing I can do to immediately change his mind, nor do I feel any obligation spending my finite time babying him. If he's not saying racist shit in my vicinity or in public, all the better. He knows that stuff might get him canned. He should live in fear of the consequences. It's imperfect, but it works for my immediate environment and in terms of long-term change.

I mean I would have not had a clue about the systemic racism in the US if not for my high school (and I went to high school in very white area). I still don't know enough and can't experience it personally, but education did show me how intentional systemic racism is in the US.
Good. You came around to the fact that white supremacy exists. But that is a grain of sand in the universe of the reality that white supremacy has still been going on for over 400 years and it's not really in any danger of dying off right now.