• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
it wouldn't turn on again but after about 30 mins it finally did. I freaked out and packed it away and returned it

Wtf, why?

If that's your breaking point, leave the hobby. Consoles and games crashes here and there, it happens, it always will, specially if it's game related and not even really the fault of the console, like several specific games gave the One X almost guaranteed overheat errors on last gen.

You always have the warranty and can get new ones, once the consoles are widely available, at places like Amazon, you can get a new one the next day with the snap of a finger where you only have to send back the old one after you got the new one. Or if your controller get problems, since it was part of the console, they will simply send you a new one while you can keep the old one (still best customer service on the planet). There's simply no reason to panic sending it back. Consoles will always have problems to some degree, the same with all other electronics in the world too.
I could literally tell you stories about every little console gen and company including specific revisions like Xbox 360 console versions.

I'm not happy with my PS5 either. It's loud as shit, the fan reminds me of a 15 year old running PC, just really loud in general without even spinning up, Miles Morales hard crashed my console twice in the first 5 hours and every third time I boot it up I have to restart my TV because there are some weird HDMI handshake problems, but there is no way I send it back.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
People can't help themselves huh and just have to try shit on OP?

Even then we have had thread(s) here about PS5's fully bricking themselves after such crashes and getting new will take ages. OP getting their cash before console goes full paperweight mode is safe move.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I am a bit surprised by some of the responses in this thread. I have had consoles crash on me before but I have never had one die for 30 minutes. Do people consider that normal?

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
People can't help themselves huh and just have to try shit on OP?

Even then we have had thread(s) here about PS5's fully bricking themselves after such crashes and getting new will take ages. OP getting their cash before console goes full paperweight mode is safe move.
What is a warranty? for £100 please Bob

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It's possible you had a hardware issue OP, but it's more likely a problem with the operating system, and that these are bugs that will get ironed out through patches eventually

Honestly, I've had a lot of unsettling issues with my PS5, that all seem related to the operating system being in a very broken state. I have no idea if the issues will actually brick a system, but it's possible, and has me fairly paranoid, so I'm certainly considering selling it and jumping back in later when the bugs are fixed (severe HDR handshake issues that have cause malfunctions with my TV, inability to boot properly, and going through endless file checks, on numerous occasions after booting or waking my system from sleep due to having an external drive plugged in, full on system shutdowns, possibly due to overheating, issues after leaving a game running and going into sleep mode).

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
Are people ignoring the part where he couldn't get it back on for 30min? That's not your 'standard' lockup or crash. Personally I'd try to replicate it or give it a little while longer to verify it wasn't a one off, but I totally understand the OPs decision here.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
With how many problems the PS5 has it's more likely it is software or firmware related. If you want to wait for another revision that's cool but hopefully Sony gets a stable OS out.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The only concern I have really is, I know the consoles have twelve month warranty but usually the retailer will tell you to send a console back to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo and that can take a while and not be that easy to sort out and that leads to an increase in my anxiety.

I know new consoles always have issues and these even though small in number get a lot of publicity, I really want a PS5 and XboxX but I don't even have a 4k TV so I wouldn't get the maximum benefit anyway, I have the new Spiderman and Sackboy games to play and also Animal Crossing New Horizions and Forza Horizon 4 on my Xbox, then there is Cyberpunk 2077 so I am not REALLY in any rush to get a PS5 or XboxX, what will force me is when the games start coming out only for PS5 or XboxX.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Crashes are mostly software. I had bad Miles crashes for a while, but after the recent firmware and game updates it is gone for me

I am not sure why, but some developer tools did not match the final units, so we have a bunch of errors popping up

But it is clearly software in the majority of cases

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
People attacking the OP is kinda weird imo. I can 100% understand the perspective of somebody buying a new $500 piece of HW only for it to hard crash for 30 minutes wanting to return it. I probably wouldn't, but I understand.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Except he may never have had that issue again for those 11 months and could continue to play PS5 games in the meantime. By that point stock will be easily accessible and when he returned it it would be replaced immediately anyway.

Returning it now, despite it working. Just seems utterly premature when he has almost 12 months of safety net left.

I mean, sure, Sony might run some analytics to figure out some cause to help fix later revisions (assuming Sony even get it back). But reality is it was probably just some one off crash caused by software and the console just needed to cycle power.

Unit was "dead", it shouldn't do that and it's better that manufacturer than customer analyses and investigates why it died and was it one off or reoccurring issue. And as I'm one of those that are currently waiting for the next revision of PS5 (hopefully 2022, smaller, stable and with more space and power), I encourage&praise people that act fast and provide useful data for Sony.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
I know you'll get a load of flack for returning 'the chosen one' but good for you; why accept shitty consumer electronics?

You managed to secure a PS5 and returned it because it's performance was unsatisfactory, and didn't try to sell it on to a sucker; you're cool as fuck.

eternalblue

Oct 27, 2017
Returning it outright seems like a huge over-reaction, as concerning as crashes can be. If it happened to me, I'd continue using it. If it was a clearly common problem that happened all the time, I'd contact Sony during the system's warranty period to get it replaced.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
damn that long huh!!

I know I kinda overreacted but when I had Xbox 360 launch console I got rrod within a few days but then a few days later it came back to life but then after a while it was out of the return period and it died again andI had to wait quite a long time for a replacement and when it came it died quickly after that too D: kinda scarred and was hoping small internal revisions would be made sooner than that long damn

Nah, I think you were smart. These launch PS5s sound like a hot mess. There are so many software and hardware issues being reported and it's only just launch. Better to wait for Sony to get it's shit together if you really want to get one.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why did so many people ignore this wasn't the crash/hard lock that made OP worried here?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The only concern I have really is, I know the consoles have twelve month warranty but usually the retailer will tell you to send a console back to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo and that can take a while and not be that easy to sort out and that leads to an increase in my anxiety.

I know new consoles always have issues and these even though small in number get a lot of publicity, I really want a PS5 and XboxX but I don't even have a 4k TV so I wouldn't get the maximum benefit anyway, I have the new Spiderman and Sackboy games to play and also Animal Crossing New Horizions and Forza Horizon 4 on my Xbox, then there is Cyberpunk 2077 so I am not REALLY in any rush to get a PS5 or XboxX, what will force me is when the games start coming out only for PS5 or XboxX.

I'm not sure where you are, but in the UK at least the Consumer Rights acts 2015 (which replaced the sales of goods act) specifically say that defects found within the 1st 6 months are assumed to have been present at time of purchase. The burden of proof is on the retailer to refute this therefore within the first six months the retailer is responsible for dealing with the issue, repair, replace or refund. One can even chose a refund at this point if a replacement or repair would be of inconvenience to you, or take too long. I assume the rules are pretty similar in the EU as well, though I haven't gone out of my way to check. Beyond that it would be more on the manufacturer waranty.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I'm wondering why it took 30 minutes to recover, it could be internal capacitors holding power perhaps, but its odd. My one x has been rock solid since I bought it and has never hard locked, I'm hoping the series x doesn't start something new when I start using it, although my ps4 has booted up more than once and complained that I didn't shut it down properly even though I'm diligent about shut downs.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
People here acting like a hard crash leading to a console staying dead for 30 minutes is just some kind of kink of early days firmware but I don't know, I have been using consoles for a fairly long time and not once has something like that happened to me that wasn't a hardware fault in the end. Fingers crossed my PS5 doesn't start acting up (0 crashes so far but mostly playing BC and a bit of Astro and Bugsnax).

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
How long did it take before the PS4 had the C-Chassis revision? I actually waited for a revision to come out before I got my PS4 and PS4 Pro.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
this is more like a software problem than hardware....instead of waiting for 'hardware revision'...you should be waiting for 'software revision' instead.

p.s. u r not the only one with hard crash so far on the ps5.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure where you are, but in the UK at least the Consumer Rights acts 2015 (which replaced the sales of goods act) specifically say that defects found within the 1st 6 months are assumed to have been present at time of purchase. The burden of proof is on the retailer to refute this therefore within the first six months the retailer is responsible for dealing with the issue, repair, replace or refund. One can even chose a refund at this point if a replacement or repair would be of inconvenience to you, or take too long. I assume the rules are pretty similar in the EU as well, though I haven't gone out of my way to check. Beyond that it would be more on the manufacturer waranty.

EU gives automatic 2 year warranty on everything which is still applicable in the UK too. That's with the retailer.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
EU gives automatic 2 year warranty on everything which is still applicable in the UK too. That's with the retailer.

It seems I am behind the times, I haven't had to quote "sales of goods act" or "Consumer rights act" to anyone for such a long time, the few times in the last 5 or so years I needed to deal with something like this it was with Amazon, and they have always offered a replacement of refund without the need to even ask.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
It seems I am behind the times, I haven't had to quote "sales of goods act" or "Consumer rights act" to anyone for such a long time, the few times in the last 5 or so years I needed to deal with something like this it was with Amazon, and they have always offered a replacement of refund without the need to even ask.

Yeah that's exactly why I stick with Amazon now. I've spent way too much time having to cite consumer rights law to people just to get basic shit done.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK

I am in the UK, it is more an issue when the console is new, if I did have an issue with a PS5 and sent it back to Amazon they wouldn't have a replacement to send me, I would have a better chance with Sony I think, it is just at launch where the issues are with the amount Sony and Microsoft are dealing with combined with the console shortage, I would also feel more comfortable in sending something like a games console with account information and my data on to Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft than a random retailer, I worry about things like this especially if i wasn't able to wipe the system before I sent it back.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
this is more like a software problem than hardware....instead of waiting for 'hardware revision'...you should be waiting for 'software revision' instead.

p.s. u r not the only one with hard crash so far on the ps5.
A console not turning on for 30 minutes after shutting off is not a software issue.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
As other have commented you have paid for a product and are covered for said product under warranty for a cdrtain ammount of time. Returing it after one hard crash logically makes no sense becuase you end up with no PS5.

The alternative therefore is to keep it and if it fully craps then you return it.

The net result is a replacement or cash back but but where you win out is the length of time you could potentially keep the PS5 for. Right now you have no PS5 but It could've be fine for another 5 years from now you dont actually know.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Going to immediately return it seems a little drastic, but admittedly a game crashing in a way that your system doesn't turn back on for 30 minutes is not a typical every day crash.

Was it not turning on at all (like, you hit the power button and it did "nothing"), or was it just failing to boot? Because one of those sounds more like a hardware defect than anything.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
As other have commented you have paid for a product and are covered for said product under warranty for a cdrtain ammount of time. Returing it after one hard crash logically makes no sense becuase you end up with no PS5.

The alternative therefore is to keep it and if it fully craps then you return it.

The net result is a replacement or cash back but but where you win out is the length of time you could potentially keep the PS5 for. Right now you have no PS5 but It could've be fine for another 5 years from now you dont actually know.

Maybe some people just don't want to deal with some busted shit that randomly bricks itself for 30 mins straight out of the box. It's not some life-giving thing you need to cling a hold off at all costs.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I never buy a console day 1, i wait at least 1-3 months until hardware/software issues are fixed.
Experiencing these issues after spending 600+ $ is depressing for me.

OP, you could have kept it and waited for a software fix, otherwise you will wait a lonnng time now due to shortages.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
But you have a warranty

Fuck around with warranty and hope you get replacement unit with ease instead of store or Sony dragging it out Vs. Just returning your unit and waiting for revision that doesn't have teething issues, especially when OP stated he is set for gaming either way

Pretty clear math and I can see why OP opted for return.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck around with warranty and hope you get replacement unit with ease instead of store or Sony dragging it out Vs. Just returning your unit and waiting for revision that doesn't have teething issues, especially when OP stated he is set for gaming either way

Pretty clear math and I can see why OP opted for return.

Yeah you use your warranty for the reason why it made.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah that's exactly why I stick with Amazon now. I've spent way too much time having to cite consumer rights law to people just to get basic shit done.

Yeah that used to be tedious, hours of arguing just for something "simple" to be dealt with. For all Amazons faults in terms of electronic defects I have had nothing but great service.

I am in the UK, it is more an issue when the console is new, if I did have an issue with a PS5 and sent it back to Amazon they wouldn't have a replacement to send me, I would have a better chance with Sony I think, it is just at launch where the issues are with the amount Sony and Microsoft are dealing with combined with the console shortage, I would also feel more comfortable in sending something like a games console with account information and my data on to Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft than a random retailer, I worry about things like this especially if i wasn't able to wipe the system before I sent it back.

Yeah, given the shortages I wouldn't know the best option either, I don't know what Sony's or MS's supply chain is like if they would have any devices sooner than a large retailer like Amazon. This early and with this much demand I would imagine even Sony would suggest returning it back to the retailer rather than have to deal with the issue of tracking and/or repairing a device that is under a month old. After all there isn't an option to buy directly from them that I'm aware of so