• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm going to cave and buy this because of you all. I may do a giveaway too.

I don't like some aspects of it. Like no mid run save and how weapon drops are tied to your weapons skill level, but it should be fun. Exclusives are why I buy PlayStation consoles and I want to finally be blown away by the controller.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The difficulty makes me a bit hesitant to try it out but I'm gonna GameFly it anyway so whatever. Hopefully it's not as hard as some reviews make it out to sound since I'm not big on super punishing games.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Although I was hoping for higher scores, still ecstatic for Housemarque and can't wait to get my hands on this tonight.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully gameplay balances are toward making the game easier... please

He's really trying too hard not to look biased when he doesn't need to. Like dude, you posted your review just move on. People already made their mind about you it's not gonna change anything.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

He's really trying too hard not to look biased when he doesn't need to. Like dude, you posted your review just move on. People already made their mind about you it's not gonna change anything.
It's a joke because people repost a pic of him holding his series x with a wallpaper on his desktop of Don Mattrick with a heart as evidence he's some Xbox fanboy. Let's not derail into reviewer commentary again..

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Let's not derail the thread with some dude who represents the 0.01% of the industry, don't feed the troll.

I love how well received is Returnal, i can't wait for my copy.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Hard to move on when you get bombarded with bullshit bc you reviewed something. Maybe the people providing the bullshit are more fit to move on first.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
As an indigenous Canadian, whenever I read insensitive, unapologetic posts on here dressing down native American writers and their specific criticisms about the anti-Indigeneity worldviews inherent to many western works, I question why am I even here. I am clearly less important than the need to rehabilitate others over their anti-indigenous rhetoric. But in the last thread there was pushback on the general wave of resentment by users like ... so I just wanted to thank them for showing solidarity.

(removing tagged users so as to not re-notify them, I hate that quotes do this)

I still remember how people reacted when Dia wrote about this kind of thing in the past and how you were one of the few people in there pointing out why it actually mattered amidst the people mindlessly mocking it.

If nothing else (and I'd certainly prefer far more introspection than this), people should at least think about what attacking criticism just for being unfamiliar to them does and who it affects.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question. I don't follow social media..but wasn't this the person who said xbox was going to remove the gold paywall on multiplayer last year? And now has an outlier review here (3/5)?

Is there something substantial in gaming he's known for and worth following? I keep seeing his name come up…

Asking seriously, I have no idea, someone educate me please.

edit: found it

He reviewed Returnal. I don't understand how anything other than his review of Returnal is relevant to this thread. But review threads aren't ever actually about reviews so I'm not surprised people can't help themselves.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow and getting my ass kicked. Housemarque hasn't failed me once with their games.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Ignoring staff post, hostility and inflammatory comparisons, numerous prior infractions, recently returned from 2 month ban
So we're going to ignore the continued abuse of journalists and reviewers by members as long as it's not literally using a screenshot posted by Colin Moriarty and we'll just continue to ignore the use of what is absolutely gamergate style rhetoric consistently in review threads gucci

dippa

Oct 29, 2017
Dropped this in the other thread before the reboot, but Kotaku Australia's take:

Fights can be hard, and if your positioning is bad or targeting is bad, they can be overwhelming. But I never had a death in Returnal that I didn't feel like I couldn't have avoided, or couldn't have better planned for. Sometimes you'll enter an area and you just won't have enough health, or your mix of weaponry and buffs isn't sufficient to clear out targets before you start getting swarmed. But the second you get a decent upgrade from your starting pistol — especially if it's the automatic rifle or shotgun in the first act of the game, or the rocket launcher in the second — Returnal really starts to click.

But even when it all comes together, Housemarque constantly hints hinting at passageways, loot and secrets you can't reach. My second run in Returnal was a great example: I walked into the first room, seeing ramps on my left and right, and a small pool of water with health and Obolites, Returnal's xeno currency that you collect over the course of a run.

Oh neat, I thought. I'd just gotten into a battle and lost a chunk of health, so this was perfect. Into the pond I go.

I should have known better; Selene couldn't swim, and she wouldn't be able to for another 25 hours.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I hate that I have work tomorrow and traveling all weekend. I love house marque and roguelites. I've been all in since the announce trailer and been pouring over the reviews. I've kept myself from twitch streams because I don't want spoiled but I'm so excited!

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Dropped this in the other thread before the reboot, but Kotaku Australia's take:

I can only speak to what I've seen from Streams, but Returnal also seems to empower you greatly about as often as it tries to hinder. Some weapons just blast out as much laser orb bullshit as the enemies do. The stream I was watching gave the player a very powerful alt fire that he then spawned with as an alt fire to his base pistol after he died. Very cool mix of weapon mechanics going on.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm really temped to grab Returnal, and I did not care about this game like a week ago. RE8 being just around the corner is making it harder to decide...

Either way, congratulations to Housemarque for what sounds like a resounding success!

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just dumped a quick hour and a half in post-midnight release and will pop the post from the OT here.
Half one in the morning and need to hit the hay because it's a busy day tomorrow but holy hell does this game make a good first impression. Figured only half that time had passed. I'm really, really excited to keep going this weekend. Wow. Feels great, plays great. The audio is brilliant. Intense in combat, creepy when alone. The haptic feedback is every bit as good as people were saying and that trigger implementation is fan-tastic.
Obviously only initial impressions but I went in excited as anything and it didn't disappoint or drop the ball. I did not want to put this down and if it wasn't for work tomorrow, I wouldn't have. Definitely starting to see that magic some of the reviews were mentioning.

It's kind of strange playing a roguelite at this AAA scale but damn if it doesn't work well. The familiar beats are there but on a grander scale. As a fan of the genre, I am buzzing.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm going to cave and buy this because of you all. I may do a giveaway too.

I don't like some aspects of it. Like no mid run save and how weapon drops are tied to your weapons skill level, but it should be fun. Exclusives are why I buy PlayStation consoles and I want to finally be blown away by the controller.
Hey about that giveaway ;)

Definitely going to check the game out at some point, not sure I'll like it so I'm holding out for atleast a little while

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Have to wake up at 6:00 in the morning and wait all day at the DMV tomorrow ;_; going to be a long day

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm so torn on preordering. I imagine this will get patch support, but does Housemarque have a history of supporting their games with DLC and additional content, or are fans expecting this to be WYSIWYG?

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Just dumped a quick hour and a half in post-midnight release and will pop the post from the OT here.

Obviously only initial impressions but I went in excited as anything and it didn't disappoint or drop the ball. I did not want to put this down and if it wasn't for work tomorrow, I wouldn't have. Definitely starting to see that magic some of the reviews were mentioning.

It's kind of strange playing a roguelite at this AAA scale but damn if it doesn't work well. The familiar beats are there but on a grander scale. As a fan of the genre, I am buzzing.
drool.gif