• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Glad to see new players discovering this gem for the first time, I'm still going strong in ER (Hopefully I'm at the end with these mountaints, sheesh this game is huge!) but I'm going to hold off on Horizon even and go back to Returnal and GoT...This was my GOTY last year and now with an endless mode and Co-op, I really wish this was in from the beginning as I believe it would've gotten even more praise.

Jun 22, 2019
Just got the game.

I am flabbergasted that to have Always Sprint enabled you have to give up your ability to walk (without ADS) and jog. Game's been out for a year and they haven't patched in enabling/disabling Always Sprint by using the sprint button (what most people would assume toggle would do)? Seriously?

I can't comprehend why they didn't simply have an option to pick the default movement speed, and then have the chosen press/toggle/hold activate the other form of movement...

Last edited:

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
I finally (FINALLY!!!) found the last Gliph in biome 1. A room the game never spawned, even after hundreds of playthroughs.

Survey for that biome is finally complete, now moving onto biome 2 where four Gliphs are still missing.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, does anyone know where Xeno-Archives AST-AX-TS1 to TS5 are located? I did a quick search on Google, but i couldnt find anything about this in specific.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Just finished it. The last boss was cake AF. I gotta say, after they added cycle saves, it made it much more playable for me and I have to give them credit. It's a brutal game but gets much easier once you understand enemy movements. I died too much though - 45 times in my 40hr run.

It's an incredible games and I hope they revisit this franchise.

Jun 22, 2019
Does anyone else hate the backtracking for 'optimal' runs? I know it's called Returnal, but returning to siphium after healing to full health to have it become resin, returning for items you couldn't pick up due to being at capacity, returning for bad parasites after finding a machine to 'sell' them, returning to shit after finding keys, returning to malignant stuff after finding ways to clear malfunctions... Ugh, it's all so tedious and dull that I have stopped going back for items entirely after the first handful of runs (I've stalled out at Biome 5). Just feels like such a waste of the player's time to design the game this way when a single bad room can quickly end your whole career.

Also this has got to be one of the least diverse rougelikes I've ever played. Most of my runs blur together, and it's a shame how monotonous things become once you hit a wall and run out of new bits of dripfed story. If you told me the devs turned the game into a rougelike last-minute because it felt too barebones otherwise, I would believe it.

But hey feeling the rain on the controller is magic. The haptics are probably the only reason I'm still playing. Sadly, the game has been a bit of a bummer for me overall. I need to try more of the Tower to see if that's closer to the jam I'm looking for.

Last edited:

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Does anyone else hate the backtracking for 'optimal' runs? I know it's called Returnal, but returning to siphium after healing to full health to have it become resin, returning for items you couldn't pick up due to being at capacity, returning for bad parasites after finding a machine to 'sell' them, returning to shit after finding keys, returning to malignant stuff after finding ways to clear malfunctions... Ugh, it's all so tedious and dull that I have stopped going back for items entirely after the first handful of runs (I've stalled out at Biome 5). Just feels like such a waste of the player's time to design the game this way when a single bad room can quickly end your whole career.

Also this has got to be one of the least diverse rougelikes I've ever played. Most of my runs blur together, and it's a shame how monotonous things become once you hit a wall and run out of new bits of dripfed story. If you told me the devs turned the game into a rougelike last-minute because it felt too barebones otherwise, I would believe it.

But hey feeling the rain on the controller is magic. The haptics are probably the only reason I'm still playing. Sadly, the game has been a bit of a bummer for me overall. I need to try more of the Tower to see if that's closer to the jam I'm looking for.

Returning to every single item is totally self-imposed and overkill. It helps for sure but it can basically double your playtime.

The tower is pretty neat I think. It's more of an Arcade mode which I think suits Returnal better tbh.

In terms of a lack of level diversity, I somewhat agree, even though there are still unique rooms I haven't found. One of my favorite things to do in Returnal is to level up weapon traits since you get to play with every different gun and see what effects the upgraded traits have.

divination

Oct 26, 2017
Took 34 deaths and 21 hours, but I finally beat Phrike lol. I never play shooters and have terrible aim, but def having a lot of fun. Played co-op with a friend that really made the experience even better imo.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Those are new tower ones, right? Occasionally, the Xeno-Archive room on the right in the tower lobby will simply have that set instead of the other set.
Yeah, it should be the ones that are from the new tower, indeed.

Ah, i didnt think about that the same room could have different sets of archives. Now that you mention this, i found out now that when i start from Biome 1 and enter the tower, it has one set of archive, and if you start from Biome 4 and enter the tower, then it has another set of archive. At least it looks like to me that this (starting from Biome 1 or 4) is what gives the two different archives. I have now unlocked all Xeno-Archive entries. Thanks for the help and info! :)

EDIT: I first wrote Biome 3, but i meant Biome 4.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Yeah, it should be the ones that are from the new tower, indeed.

Ah, i didnt think about that the same room could have different sets of archives. Now that you mention this, i found out now that when i start from Biome 1 and enter the tower, it has one set of archive, and if you start from Biome 3 and enter the tower, then it has another set of archive. At least it looks like to me that this (starting from Biome 1 or 3) is what gives the two different archives. I have now unlocked all Xeno-Archive entries. Thanks for the help and info! :)
No problem! I hadn't considered that it might be related to switching biome group- I thought it was random, haha!

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Think I found my new favorite gun. Pyroshell Caster with Streamlined Chamber III, Seeking Flares III, and Simmering Explosion III just melts everything lol

AIan

Oct 20, 2019

I have... mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, I wanna try the new Tower out, but all of those hard earned scores are now gone... :( Makes sense I guess because difficulty adjustments will invalidate the previous leaderboard placements. I suspect the earlier phases will start out easy then rapidly ramp up in difficulty so it might be more difficult to climb now.

Also I hope that the Argos bugs are fixed. The more common bug is Argos not having a hitbox, the other is Argos not despawning after the kill.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Yesss, top of the leaderboards for me!

And just got Scout Log 94 in room 2-8

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
No problem! I hadn't considered that it might be related to switching biome group- I thought it was random, haha!
It could have been random as well :) I just thought that i checked out the different biome group, and i guess it was connected to that :)

And just to correct myself in my previous post, i meant of course Biome 1 and 4, not Biome 1 and 3 as i first wrote. I just wanted to correct myself on that :)

Any progress on how to find scout log 94?
Yesss, top of the leaderboards for me!

And just got Scout Log 94 in room 2-8
Same here, i also got the Scout Log 94 now :) Or i got it in room 2-15, but i got it in the 2nd phase of the run, the same phase as you (8bit) got it in at least. I also got it in my first run using the latest game patch. I wonder if it was the same situation as in the main game, where one scout log was tied to a room that quite rarely appeared in a run.

An just generally speaking to everyone, i am not sure if this picture will help much in finding Scout Log 94, but this is how the room looked when i found it at least:

M9dYM4m.jpg

Last edited:

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Was a different room layout for me, it was a calibrator & obolites room with moving laser fences and pulses. Was right at the start though.

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States
Haven't noticed any changes in difficulty for tower mode yet. Only reached phase 4 so far after the patch. Can only carry 5 shield vials now, but I don't mind because it encourages using them more often.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Great to see log #94 being fixed with the last update!

Still looking for 4 Gliphs in biome 2 and 6 for the platinum though 🤨

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Just returning to this game after a long hiatus. Went ahead and deleted my save so I could start fresh (only made it to Biome 3 previously).

Is the bright glowing orb in the beginning are the DLC?

May 7, 2018
Started playing sunday. I think I've had 5 deaths so far.
Died to Phrike 3 times. It was not too bad until the last phase.
Went through the second biome in a single life and getting ready to face ixion for the first time.

Can anyone explain to me, like I'm 5, what the hell are and what should I do with data cubes? Also, should I keep the same type of cube throughout the game or should I change it constantly? This is the one item so far I have no ideia the purpose or what I should be doing...

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Went through the second biome in a single life and getting ready to face ixion for the first time.

Can anyone explain to me, like I'm 5, what the hell are and what should I do with data cubes? Also, should I keep the same type of cube throughout the game or should I change it constantly? This is the one item so far I have no ideia the purpose or what I should be doing...
A data cube does nothing until you take it to the... thingy, which is usually just after the boss. Put it in the thingy, and it'll unlock some new artifact or whatever for future runs.

You can only hold 1 cube at a time, though if you remember where you left any others you can go back for them after beating the boss and take them all, one by one, to the thingy machine.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017

Datacubes unlock artifacts, but you need to carry the datacube to a datacube processor to unlock the item. There's one after you beat Phrike and one after you beat Ixion.

May 7, 2018
A data cube does nothing until you take it to the... thingy, which is usually just after the boss. Put it in the thingy, and it'll unlock some new artifact or whatever for future runs.

You can only hold 1 cube at a time, though if you remember where you left any others you can go back for them after beating the boss and take them all, one by one, to the thingy machine.

Datacubes unlock artifacts, but you need to carry the datacube to a datacube processor to unlock the item. There's one after you beat Phrike and one after you beat Ixion.

Ok, but what about the supposed permanent unlock for future runs? I start with those itens? Also, if I understood you guys right, I can use the "thingy" multiple times, right?

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States
Ok, but what about the supposed permanent unlock for future runs? I start with those itens? Also, if I understood you guys right, I can use the "thingy" multiple times, right?
No, you don't start with artifacts that are unlocked via data cubes. These items are added to the pool of random artifacts that you may find during future play-throughs. Same with the consumables and artifacts that you can unlock by feeding ether to the device near your ship. Unlock as many of these as you can, because some are powerful artifacts that really open up the game!

May 7, 2018
No, you don't start with artifacts that are unlocked via data cubes. These items are added to the pool of random artifacts that you may find during future play-throughs. Same with the consumables and artifacts that you can unlock by feeding ether to the device near your ship. Unlock as many of these as you can, because some are powerful artifacts that really open up the game!
Ooooohhh... I thought everything was unlocked and it was just a matter of randomness.

So I need to deposit the cubes and pay ether as I sart a run to increase the pool of possibilities. Gotcha. Will do.

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States
Ooooohhh... I thought everything was unlocked and it was just a matter of randomness.

So I need to deposit the cubes and pay ether as I sart a run to increase the pool of possibilities. Gotcha. Will do.
Exactly. You're growing the pool of random goodies for all your future play throughs. The game plays very differently when you have everything unlocked and luck into a good combination of artifacts through RNG.

May 7, 2018
Why the hell do you lose restart your cycle if you die in a daily challenge? You dont even get to take your stuffin the challenge. Its just what the games gives you.

Makes no sense.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
So, in my first run with the game I managed to reach the second boss.
This was way back before the save state update dropped.

I feel like I remember next to nothing from the game & now I wonder if I should start all over again with the game or just continue with my last save.

Did the updates change anything that could weigh into that decision?

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to give up on going after the platinum. I love the game, but I just can't deal with the randomness when it comes to collectibles. Been stuck at having 3 ciphers left for biome 2 for a month and nothing pops up.

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States
So, in my first run with the game I managed to reach the second boss.
This was way back before the save state update dropped.

I feel like I remember next to nothing from the game & now I wonder if I should start all over again with the game or just continue with my last save.

Did the updates change anything that could weigh into that decision?

I think your best approach would be to keep playing. Restarting would cost you all the weapons, weapon perks, artifacts, and consumables you've unlocked so far. Even if you're rusty, you can replay biome 1 to relearn the game and you'll unlock more stuff along the way!

May 7, 2018
Finished Act 3 today…

This game is pure crack. Adiction doesnt begin to describe my relation to it right now. I dont think any game has hooked me this much since bloodborne.

Cant recommend this enough, specially now with the trophy fixes and the suspend feature.

Starting the grind for collectables now but I'm done with 1 and 4 already. 2 is the farthest for some reason.

Edit: All of that said, they have yet to kill me, but my fear of those enemies in biome 6 that cause malfunction is not normal… My heart goes to 120bpm whenever I have to fight one, specially if we got those suicidal squids in the same room.

Fuck. That. Shit.

Last edited:
May 7, 2018
Kinda sucks that after such an incredible game, the last taste you get of it is frustration from the collectable hunt... biomes 1, 3 & 4 done.

Working on biome 2 with 4 gliphs to go.

May 7, 2018
Down to 19/20 ciphers in Biome 2. Based on the guide below, the only room I have not been able to spawn is number 12. All the others I was able to double check, including the ultra rare ones:

12 is supposed to be a common room so I don't know whats going on.
Also, the cipher is really obvious in that room, so either I never saw this room or my trophy might have glitched... Hopefully that's not the case.

Gonna give it a few more tries before going to Biomes 5 and 6. I'd rather not have to restart the savefile for this one trophy.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Hi people! I've been playing the game for the last couple of weeks and I must say that it's really one of a kind.

I'm at biome 6 shortly after obtaining the last ability, so my question would be: are there any translocators? Don't really know if I should proceed because I have some silphiums and weapons lying around.

Also, which weapon would you recommed?

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
Down to 19/20 ciphers in Biome 2. Based on the guide below, the only room I have not been able to spawn is number 12. All the others I was able to double check, including the ultra rare ones:

12 is supposed to be a common room so I don't know whats going on.
Also, the cipher is really obvious in that room, so either I never saw this room or my trophy might have glitched... Hopefully that's not the case.

Gonna give it a few more tries before going to Biomes 5 and 6. I'd rather not have to restart the savefile for this one trophy.

That was the very last one I needed as well. Eventually, after running through biome 2 a ridiculous amount of times I finally got the room. The rng on this one is silly!

May 7, 2018
Hi people! I've been playing the game for the last couple of weeks and I must say that it's really one of a kind.

I'm at biome 6 shortly after obtaining the last ability, so my question would be: are there any translocators? Don't really know if I should proceed because I have some silphiums and weapons lying around.

Also, which weapon would you recommed?
I dont think you get translocators in the last biome. Theres also a drop to a deeper floor that you cant undo, so make sure you areready to move on past that.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I dont think you get translocators in the last biome. Theres also a drop to a deeper floor that you cant undo, so make sure you areready to move on past that.
Thanks for the reply! Will go back and use the silphiums as resins and try to decide on a weapon. Currently have the Dreadbound but maybe I'll change to Hollow Seeker or Rotgland Lobber...