• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.4%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 880 48.6%

• Total voters

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so w co-op you can't really suspend/resume anymore right like you gotta beat it w your partner in one shot?

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Tried out Tower solo and died at the first boss. I love this kind of stuff. Thank you Housemarque!

Couldn't find online leaderboards for the Tower, if there is any to begin with (hope so).

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what are the prerequisites for finish the story in the tower. Get past area 3 and collect the flower? How many flower total do you have to collect?

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Finally had the chance to try the update out. This game is still awesome. Such a great addition to the game and this was the mode i wanted from the beginning. Also am i trippin' or does the game looks better? The image quality looks much sharper to me

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also am i trippin' or does the game looks better? The image quality looks much sharper to me
Started the game earlier to get a feel for the controls again before heading into the tower this weekend (I missed just how damn good this game feels to play) and yeah, I immediately thought to myself "wait a minute... this looks better than I remember." Could be placebo cause it's been so long, but I'm like 95% certain the game is sharper than I remember it being.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Finally had the chance to try the update out. This game is still awesome. Such a great addition to the game and this was the mode i wanted from the beginning. Also am i trippin' or does the game looks better? The image quality looks much sharper to me

Something is up because it suddenly looks like the most crisp game on the PS5. It actually made returning to Horizon II feel rough, and not just because of framerate. Maybe it is just from not playing after a few months, though.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Started the game earlier to get a feel for the controls again before heading into the tower this weekend (I missed just how damn good this game feels to play) and yeah, I immediately thought to myself "wait a minute... this looks better than I remember." Could be placebo cause it's been so long, but I'm like 95% certain the game is sharper than I remember it being.

Something is up because it suddenly looks like the most crisp game on the PS5. It actually made returning to Horizon II feel rough, and not just because of framerate. Maybe it is just from not playing after a few months, though.

Nah its definitely looks much sharper than before. You can really tell when you look at the doors from distance. It was kinda blurry but now you can see all the details.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to someone posting a glyph guide or scout log guide. Got all the trophies, but I'm missing one glyph and one scout log still.

Anyone know where scout log 94 appears in the tower?

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
So the tower does have an end after all?! Not that I'm aiming to reach the top as I barely reached the end of the 3rd 🤣

Still, I'm addicted once again with this game!

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
These towers are quite an investment. Think I can only do one a day. But hey, did place within the 100-200 bracket at least.

I think the malfunctions are the single biggest thing putting me off from the tower. That, and the required parasites (which sometimes have absolutely awful drawbacks like damage on item pickup). Might just be a thing I need to get used to, let's see how it goes.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Not sure if we are using this OT or the other thread but woo! Just made global Rank 56 with the coilspine shredder. Best gun in the game easily.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The dlc made me start playing the main game again and now I've been Platinum hunting. It's something I never thought I'd do because finding these damn glyphs seemed like a huge pain in the ass. However I'm now just ONE glyph away from the platinum. The one I'm missing is in the Abbysal Scar, Biome 6. If anyone has a tip where the most elusive glyph may appear I'd greatly appreciate it. This is certainly the most I've ever "worked" to get freaking trophies, but Returnal is so damn fun to play it makes it an easier pill to swallow.

Haha, aaaaaand I found it. I love complaining on the internet. Platinum get. Almost a year later.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The 100% databank entries is definitely NOT something I'd do lol. The weapon traits though.. I can see it.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
The 100% databank entries is definitely NOT something I'd do lol. The weapon traits though.. I can see it.

Yeah the fact that the artifact music box is so rare makes it all the more ridiculous. If the artifact odds were the same, fine, but they aren't and it stinks.

Weapon traits aren't that bad, farming the tower will get them done in no time

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Nice, placed 5th with like 138 million at 14-10.

Got lucky with stacked protection, decent malfunctions, and really good parasites. But wow do enemies have a lot of HP later on.

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
still confused on weapon proficiency and unlocking the new weapon abilities? i feel like ive ran thru biome 1 like a thousand times and the upgrades r happenin super slow - do i have to actually collect something to have it be permanent

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
still confused on weapon proficiency and unlocking the new weapon abilities? i feel like ive ran thru biome 1 like a thousand times and the upgrades r happenin super slow - do i have to actually collect something to have it be permanent

Level 1 traits start appearing on weapons at proficiency level 0. Level 2 traits start appearing on weapons at proficiency level 10. Level 3 traits start appearing on weapons at level 3.

In addition to this system, unique traits are locked behind proficiency levels as well. The first three traits (top box) of your equipment are available at level 0. The next two traits are level 5, then next two after that are unlocked at level 10, then I think 20, then 25. Might be off with these specifics by a bit but in general there is a progression system in place.

If you go to your databank under the equipment tab you can see all of the guns you unlocked and all of the traits you unlocked so far, as well as any unfinished traits. All of the traits go up to level 3 as the max. I like to look at the Atropian Blade as a reference to the different levels required for each trait bracket.

So to answer your question: biome 1 doesn't give enough proficiency to upgrade weapons easily. It's best to farm later biomes for it. I heard the Tower is a great way to level up your traits since it shoots your proficiency level crazy quick.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Crimson Wastes xenoglyph cipher bug still a thing? Is there an easy way to check if you're affected by it?

I only got one cipher left to get the platinum, but I don't want to delete my save. I just want to know if I can give up on trying to get that trophy.

EDIT: Nevermind!

I found the last cipher. Got a rare configuration up on the mountain right before you reach the boss.

ONLY took me 117 hours to get the platinum. I don't know if it's the most rewarding platinum chase, because the biome survey trophies were kinda RNG bullshit, but it is my most prized because this is one of my favorite games ever.

That plat (only my 14th despite being on PSN for 13 years) actually got me at 300 trophy level. Out of bronze and into silver.

Last edited:

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
And Ophion Sunken. 59 hours to finish this Masterpiece. One of the greatest games ever made. In my Top5 now.

Take a bow Housemarque.

One of the Best Combat in a game for me. Every Gun felt unique. Every consumable added value. Every parasite brought risk n reward. Every Artifact was worthwile.

One of the most perfectly designed game. Everything Clicked.

Like Kratos's Axe, the dash n melee never gets old. Every run is unique. Every run shapes differently every freakin time

Enemy variety and variations are Amazing. Each area designed so perfectly that you are at the edge of the seat all the time yet there is this Control you have.

The Challenge rooms are amazing. Great Risk but great reward too. The Trap rooms with consumables were similar, always a question whether to go in or not.

Story was kind of a Metaphor. Okish. Bosses were good too.

Best Biomes: Biome1, 3 and 6. Biome3 and 6 were simply too good.

Best Guns: Rotland Gobber and Dreadbound

Best Consumable : Damage Siphon.

Best Parasite : More Salvage from Hostiles

Best Artifact : Astronaut for sure

Gun to be deleted : Pylon. Made game pretty easy.

Scary n Eeriee Area : Biome5. Terrifying to me. Unnervy place totally like Forbidden Forest in BloodBorne.

Best Enemy : Turrets in Biome3.

Toughest Enemy : Teleporting Cthalu in Biome2 n Biome 5 and Biome5 turrets.

Best Boss fight : Nemesis hands down

Best way to play the game : Dreadbound and go all gung ho in Close quarters. Surreal experience.

Tower DLC : Faboulous effort. More Returnal always good. Great concept and execution.

Verdict : Masterpiece. Needs to be studied. Endless replayability. Needs to be played by everyone.

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished FINALLY!!! the first boss, with coophelp, did not remember his name, i really wanted to say thanks, you had level 23 and had a crying child in the background xD, if you read here; THANK YOU!

Was about to sell this game... but might give it some more time first :)

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished FINALLY!!! the first boss, with coophelp, did not remember his name, i really wanted to say thanks, you had level 23 and had a crying child in the background xD, if you read here; THANK YOU!

Was about to sell this game... but might give it some more time first :)
The number one tip I can give is that you keep moving and never aim down sights. Just use hip fire. Also, you can dash through blue projectiles.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Have been checking off the requirements for the survey trophies for the plat over the last few days. I now have all the scout logs and other requirements all I have left are 7 of the xenoglyphs over 3 different biomes.

Any tips? Best thing seems to be to run into rooms, check the map for the little triangles and then move on once investigated ignoring everything else?

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The number one tip I can give is that you keep moving and never aim down sights. Just use hip fire. Also, you can dash through blue projectiles.

Yeah, thats a good tip, i think the best tip i can give to anyone and myself is to take this game serious, like real serious... It klicked with me now, starting to feel addicted, but praise Coop, it doesent make the game much easier, but there is some space here and there were i actually can breathe.

And yeah... its so damn unique in a good way.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips? Best thing seems to be to run into rooms, check the map for the little triangles and then move on once investigated ignoring everything else?

Honestly, I just played the game regular for the most part. I got pretty quick at clearing all the rooms anyway. Helped that my remaining ciphers were in the early biomes. Only things I would really skip were the bosses and scout suits unless I wanted ether.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
I had a few questions regarding the Tower of Sysiphus I was hoping someone may be able to clear up.
  1. Sometimes, I see little pedestals in a break room which are teal colored holograms, but unlike the ones which have a red orb above that you can shoot to unlock it for an Atropian Key, there seems to be no way to interact with them. Am I missing something here?
  2. Is there a way to dodge the permanent malfunction that the first boss gives when you kill it?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I had a few questions regarding the Tower of Sysiphus I was hoping someone may be able to clear up.
  1. Sometimes, I see little pedestals in a break room which are teal colored holograms, but unlike the ones which have a red orb above that you can shoot to unlock it for an Atropian Key, there seems to be no way to interact with them. Am I missing something here?
  2. Is there a way to dodge the permanent malfunction that the first boss gives when you kill it?

1. I never quite got what this was about either but I think once you progress to a certain point they seem to start to turn into actual items and you don't seem to see the hologram versions any more.

2. Nope, no way to dodge or remove those malfunctions.

Finally managed to get the survey trophy for biome 2. Was a fucking nightmare, could clear that zone searching for the room in about 6 mins from Helios by the end of it. Took a lot of runs, dread to think how this was even worse near release.

Just the biome 6 survey trophy to get (2 ciphers to find) and the plat will be mine.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
1. I never quite got what this was about either but I think once you progress to a certain point they seem to start to turn into actual items and you don't seem to see the hologram versions any more.

2. Nope, no way to dodge or remove those malfunctions.

Finally managed to get the survey trophy for biome 2. Was a fucking nightmare, could clear that zone searching for the room in about 6 mins from Helios by the end of it. Took a lot of runs, dread to think how this was even worse near release.

Just the biome 6 survey trophy to get (2 ciphers to find) and the plat will be mine.
Thanks!

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017

1. Yeah eventually you will unlock those for all future runs, I believe they give you a shield vial each time you run into one.
2. Nope, can't dodge. And also the item in the shop that "Fixes All Malfunctions" does NOT fix those. They are indeed permanent.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
1. Yeah eventually you will unlock those for all future runs, I believe they give you a shield vial each time you run into one.
2. Nope, can't dodge. And also the item in the shop that "Fixes All Malfunctions" does NOT fix those. They are indeed permanent.
Nice, thanks. Good to know so I don't buy it in the hopes it will then!

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
After about 6 runs I found one cipher tonight so I have just 1 in biome 6 to find.

Biome 6 is a lot harder to run through than 2 was. I have this fear that I will spot the cipher and something will just nuke me.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Finally passed biome 3. Finished ER and decided to give Returnal another try. Either it's gotten a little easier or ER softened me up to absorb it a little more. Either way, I'm done with that.

I couldn't make it to the boss for the life of me, then I magically made it three times in a row. It became much much easier after ER.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Finally, it is done! 56 hours played according to the console.

uKLFyfn_d.webp
4xqI6YT_d.webp

Quite a bit of RNG to getting it. I know some of the scout log spawns were patched but getting the ciphers is still rough going.

Very pleased, absolutely love the game but need to put it down for a bit now. Anything Housemarque is an instant buy.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Returnal just won best game, best audio achievement, best music and best performer in a leading role at the Bafta Game Awards!

EDIT (tweet deleted)

Also, bonus video reaction from Housemarque HQ!

Griffins22

Oct 30, 2017
I just got stuck in Biome 6 by a door that won't open. Going to bed with my cycle suspended, but I know I'm going to have to restart. I'm very pissed off by this right now.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
They've added a way to save and quit mid-run, right? I never bought this game but was always interested and that was the main thing holding me back.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man that first biome boss really got me hyped to keep playing the game. God damn. I was playing for fun before that first boss, now I'm playing cus I'm addicted.

I had a great run thru biome 1, but that boss had me down to the wire. I'm fuckin going wild with very little health just trying to get it down to its last bar. I see I'm about to die so I sighed and gave up, ready to try another run another day... but I didn't die. I got back up because a mysterious item I picked up earlier had more significance than I thought... and on that little sliver of health I finessed my way to a victory that I did not and could not have expected. Just clawed my way to victory literally shouting and jumping as I went. Exhilarating. Game is fucking dope.

I waited so long to play this game because it lacked mouse and keyboard support and gyro support both. Turns out all I really needed to do to make the game enjoyable for me was kick aim assist up a notch and jack the turn sensitivity up to max. Feels great and very playable for someone like me who's alright with analog shooter control but kind of can't stand it generally.