• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

NazzyQ

Apr 6, 2018
Dumb question, but how do you dodge the rockets from the robot enemies in biome 3? Can't seem to figure out the correct timing

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question, but how do you dodge the rockets from the robot enemies in biome 3? Can't seem to figure out the correct timing
Hardest enemies in the entire game lmao. They are hella annoying.
Figured out the trick is to just jump. The rockets come at you fast but aim for the ground. Jumping straight up and dodging forward will do the trick.

Razputin

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
F*****, second time getting to the first biome boss, died on third phase again. 15th run.

Spend 2h to cleared the biome, geared up to prof level 5, raised integrity and got the astronaut. Still failed at the boss.

Obviously, some of you find this easy but guess what, people are different.
Yeah, I know "it's not for everyone". But I love everything else about this game, thats why hitting the wall that early is so frustating to me. Should have known better before jumping in. Will have to think twice before getting the next housemarque game, which is a shame.

Please, housemarque, add some option to manage difficulty for the lesser players to be able to enjoy what you have build.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Not trashing Xbox or anything but it's crazy going from playing Destiny 2 on the Series X to playing this with DualSense integration on ps5 IS FACTUALLY insane. It's a next generation leap for sure. The rumble can create such fine details and it feels amazing in the hand. This rivals Astrobot FOR SURE. I love this shit.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
F*****, second time getting to the first biome boss, died on third phase again. 15th run.

Spend 2h to cleared the biome, geared up to prof level 5, raised integrity and got the astronaut. Still failed at the boss.

Yeah, I know "it's not for everyone". But I love everything else about this game, thats why hitting the wall that early is so frustating to me. Should have known better before jumping in. Will have to think twice before getting the next housemarque game, which is a shame.

Please, housemarque, add some option to manage difficulty for the lesser players to be able to enjoy what you have build.

Yeah this.

I'm making small progress and having fun but man some of the random bs is making it hard to enjoy the game sometimes.

Biome 1, almost nothing to stand on and then 8+ bats. I was able to kill like 5 of them before I died and over 1 hour of a great run was flushed down the toilet.

I really, really like most of the game but I too will think twice before buying another housemarque game.

I don't understand how more difficulty options would hurt the game.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Somehow I hadn't noticed the laser rifle sucked until I got to the 2nd boss at rank 8, 150% health(and a potion) and still died because it was doing like.....a 10th of a health bar between reloads

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
F*****, second time getting to the first biome boss, died on third phase again.

Which attack is hitting you the most? I wouldnt call him easy but he has a really predictable attack pattern. Everything he does is massively telegraphed. In phase 1, if you keep strafing you can dodge almost everything except for the death circle. His falcon punch rush can be annoying but it is also easy to dodge once you know its coming. When he farts out his death zone and charges you, dodge backwards so you have enough time to dash again through the circle.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Not trashing Xbox or anything but it's crazy going from playing Destiny 2 on the Series X to playing this with DualSense integration on ps5 IS FACTUALLY insane. It's a next generation leap for sure. The rumble can create such fine details and it feels amazing in the hand. This rivals Astrobot FOR SURE. I love this shit.
The game feels incredible. Housemarque sure has taken advantage of next gen hardware.
Going back to Ps4 games after playing Returnal is a bit jarring to be honest.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Yeah exaclty. I don't know why people are so pretentious on here about dificulty settings.

Like you can play on the ultra hard mode and I can play on the easy mode. How does that effect you?

Not everyone has the same skill / ability at videogames.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this.

I'm making small progress and having fun but man some of the random bs is making it hard to enjoy the game sometimes.

Biome 1, almost nothing to stand on and then 8+ bats. I was able to kill like 5 of them before I died and over 1 hour of a great run was flushed down the toilet.

I really, really like most of the game but I too will think twice before buying another housemarque game.

I don't understand how more difficulty options would hurt the game.
The scary part is that I find this game easier than any of their previous games on the lowest difficulty setting

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Bruh today is awful I've already died 3 times and in my best run the rocket things from the third Biome killed me... I don't know how to avoid the rockets

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

For real, I love this game but I don't think I can beat it without an easy mode lol. Or at least a God Mode like in Hades.

Same reason I skipped Demons Souls tbh

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i played the tutorial on no sleep and don't remember a thing lol.

Figured as much but I took some damage while dashing in a few instances, but I just didn't have the timing down.
That would make a lot of sense lol. They're pretty generous with the dash, which is nice. I think it's easier to feel for than any of the souls games. If you see a sea of orbs, just go right into them- it's lots of fun lol.

Razputin

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Which attack is hitting you the most? I wouldnt call him easy but he has a really predictable attack pattern. Everything he does is massively telegraphed. In phase 1, if you keep strafing you can dodge almost everything except for the death circle. His falcon punch rush can be annoying but it is also easy to dodge once you know its coming. When he farts out his death zone and charges you, dodge backwards so you have enough time to dash again through the circle.

Went in with the shotgun type weapon, which is probably not ideal.
The death circle plus charge attack always hit me. I know what i'm supposed to do, problem is the execution. I panic, dodge to early, get hit on the dash coolown. I panic more, start to press the wrong buttons ... I have this problem with all reflex based boss encounters. Being over 40 probably does not help, my reflexes are getting slower.

I would totally have farmed some more integrity, if the biome would not already be totally cleared out. I feel i have figured out the normal enemies and lockdown chambers.
I think this would be a good solution without the need for an easy-difficulty-option: make the astronaut figurines carry over runs in the same biome or let me buy multiple of them with farmed ether. Let me prepare with time commitment, what the pros can do in one shot. I'm fine with earning my cheap shot at the boss.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Kudos to Housemarque on every boss in the game. They are all so unique, with great music and gameplay elements. No hyperbole, already in the hall of fame for some of the greatest bosses in video game history.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Beat the second Biome boss finally. Although, to be fair, it was technically my first attempt on my account. I played it at my bud's house earlier that night and took a crack at him, and got close, but died. So when I finally got home, I went for it again on my account this time, and beat him. I didn't even have to use my revive artifact, which was nice!

This game is fucking excellent. I'm just so impressed by Housemarque, and I truly hope they continue to get to explore larger and more ambitious games like this one.

Also, I wasn't initially a fan of the Electropylon Driver, but god damn, is it amazing. I used it against the 2nd biome boss, and, yeah, it was very effective. I still love the Carbine and the Hollowseeker, but yeah, pylon is up there for me now. I'm gonna take a break for a little bit and play something else, since the intensity of this game can be exhausting! 13 Sentinels time, I think!

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed that stupid interaction bug doesn't happen if you don't skip cutscenes had it 5x and not had it once since I started not skipping anything.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I totally get you and yes, difficulty and accessibility options should be there. There's no justification for it not to be.
I dropped Demon's Souls because of the difficulty. I'm really enjoying Returnal and I think it's more accessible, but it's probably because I have much more experience with shooters than melee-focused games.
I beat the first boss on my third try.
Some tips that helped me:
The carbine is my weapon of choice. Keep running (maybe try switching the option to allways running) to one-side at the edge of the arena, this is enough to escape most attacks. The purple ones rarely hit you if you remain calm. Dodge the blue ones if needed and the red ones you probably have to dodge more. Be ready for the laser attack and dodge it. Use your alt-attack as much as you can and pick one that is good for the boss. The homing missile type of attack is my favourite. Try to get some health-gaining consumables before the boss and the astronaut is mandatory. Keep calm and take your time, understand the patterns. Good luck!

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
alright, 4th boss down. The pylon really is op, as the pylon just melted him. Didn't even need to use my health items. Really cool boss though, I liked the lead up to it.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Bruh I entered a challenge room and now it won't let me out after retrieving the rewards, I have the default suit too

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck yeah! Beat the second boss.
It was a slight struggle because my Hollowseeker seemed to do almost no damage but it was enough.

Got my ass kicked pretty early in the next biome by 4 flying rocket launching bastards but I didn't care because I finally got the item from the second boss.

Next question? How do I break yellow barriers?

Immediately started a new run and I'm already getting a ton of upgrades.

Now... How do I get back to the third biome? Can I skip to the third right from the first or do I have to go to the second biome and then go to the third from there?

This game is so addicting. I can't put down the controller...

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Newbie tips : you can dash across security lasers without being harmed.

This. The first run in each biome appears to be a deliberate layout with progressive introduction of new items or enemies. After that, it appears to be more random. As a result, subsequent runs are more difficult. Not sure if that's exactly how it works, but that's been my experience so far.
During the arrival and after your first death the layout are the same (not between them but for every player). It's on your second death that the first biome is becoming random. So if you met your first shield door or shielded enemy, they will appear even if you don't have the sword xD

Razputin

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Some tips that helped me:
The carbine is my weapon of choice. Keep running (maybe try switching the option to allways running) to one-side at the edge of the arena, this is enough to escape most attacks. The purple ones rarely hit you if you remain calm. Dodge the blue ones if needed and the red ones you probably have to dodge more. Be ready for the laser attack and dodge it. Use your alt-attack as much as you can and pick one that is good for the boss. The homing missile type of attack is my favourite. Try to get some health-gaining consumables before the boss and the astronaut is mandatory. Keep calm and take your time, understand the patterns. Good luck!

Thanks, I will try once my frustration cooled down (thats on a timer, too). I'm not yet ready to give up, yet.
Problem is, reading about the challenges in the upcoming biomes makes me doubt I will ever see the end. Would be not the first one I would shelf because of difficulty, but particularly frustrating because what I'm able to play is sooooo good.

Nov 24, 2017
I haven't been hooked on a game like this since TLOU2. It's so bad I'm dreaming in a third person bullet hell. This might be Housemarque's masterpiece... Resogun was the game that made me love my PS4 in those early days (I was a top 100 worldwide high score player at one point!) and it feels almost poetic that Returnal feels like it's that game for me on PS5.

But I need some words of encouragement - with some good buffs I've made it through boss 1 and 2 in the same run (so beat world 2 on my first try!) and now I'm in world 3. I'm so scared that if I die it's going to be a slog back to this point again.

Tell me it wasn't just a fluke or crazy luck! To anyone who has died in world 3, how hard has it been for you to get back to that point?

Noticed that stupid interaction bug doesn't happen if you don't skip cutscenes had it 5x and not had it once since I started not skipping anything.
Ah! Had this happen and wondered why, thanks.

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
so, how hard is it? Like super frustrating to play if you don't have lightning reflexes or kind of like Hades?

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
I dont know if is only me but i havent encounter a single player body to avenge. I havent fight any parasite scout either. Is the online features bugged or something?

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I will try once my frustration cooled down (thats on a timer, too). I'm not yet ready to give up, yet.
Problem is, reading about the challenges in the upcoming biomes makes me doubt I will ever see the end. Would be not the first one I would shelf because of difficulty, but particularly frustrating because what I'm able to play is sooooo good.

Just play the game until it doesn't feel good to play anymore ;) I've grown familiar to that idea nowadays, not having the time or the skills to beat every game. It's okay if the game still gives you a good time for a while.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Finally got the grappling hook and reached the third biome. The game is super hard but I'm quite addicted I have to say. The gameplay is just so fine tuned.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Autamatron is the probably the hardest big enemy in the entire game. Biome 3 overall is probably the hardest biome.
There is an enemy in the final biome that hits HARD as shit but I still think the king of horseshit is found in biome 3. If folks can get past that, the rest of the game should be smooth sailing.

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

I don't know if this helps, and I mentioned it earlier but in case you missed it:

- Set auto aim to high.
- Remap dodge to L1 (and consumables to R1)
- Keep your left index finger on L1 constantly. Do not use zoom (L2) unless you want to use the alt fire.
- Keep moving. Constantly. Not aiming wil L2 will also make you move faster (aiming slows down Selene)
- Just have that finger on dodge all the time and use it constantly :) Even while shooting. Especially while shooting. Just develop muscle memory to press it whenever something flashy comes close to Selene.
- Focus completely on avoidance and not on aiming. Just point the crosshair in the general enemy direction and shoot. Focus on dodging.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
don't use a shotgun(unless it has the slug shot perk). Also, I tend to record my attempts at a boss to look back to see what went wrong. It's a lot easier to observe what the boss is doing and find ways to dodge it's attacks.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I finished the game tonight... geez, that final biome is pretty crazy, and the last phase of the final fight is going to be a real barrier to folks that haven't played a bullethell before.

The story is a bit up its own ass IMO, and I'm actually a little concerned if I'm understanding it correctly - because if I am, I'm not a big fan of the type of character they made Selene into.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Autamatron is the probably the hardest big enemy in the entire game. Biome 3 overall is probably the hardest biome.
There is an enemy in the final biome that hits HARD as shit but I still give the king of horseshit is found in biome 3. If folks can get past that, the rest of the game should be smooth sailing.
All of biome 3 felt crazy hard to me, I had to cheese pretty much the entire thing with long distance engagements - couldn't even safely enter some rooms with so many rockets coming at me.

The crazy thing was I was over levelled for most of it - to the extent the final boss was easy because I could just tank everything he threw at me. But those little flying robots just seemed impossible to deal with.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Took me three tries to beat Phrike, my heart was racing when he was down to a few hits lol

Also, it's really dumb that the game doesn't mention that you can heal in your ship. That shits a game changer.

Yup, absolute game changer. The tip I saw someone post here for sleeping and farming the health drops is great.
You can smash them for cash, parasites and Malignant resin.

Found this out last night. I was hitting them anyway, but when I saw that I was like whaaa....
Yes, if you are not in critical condition.
I healed in critical. Took me 2 sleeps to fully recover. I think its the pre order suit bug. Because before I tried it, I changed back to the default suit and was hit with the bug where you cant open any doors or enter the ship. Lucky for me it was the start of a run right after I died.

Its either the suit bug, a parasite or malignant blocking it or some other bug. But I was able to do it from critical.

I have also been one of the lucky ones to avoid any of the game crashes, except that one bug. I feel bad for ppl having those issues.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Having a lot of fun running through the game again post-credits knowing I don't have to worry about the bosses + having the suit fully upgraded.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Is there any shortcut to the third boss? I almost had him but since I had wasted all my items on the minibosses before I couldn't finish it

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game tonight... geez, that final biome is pretty crazy, and the last phase of the final fight is going to be a real barrier to folks that haven't played a bullethell before.

The story is a bit up its own ass IMO, and I'm actually a little concerned if I'm understanding it correctly - because if I am, I'm not a big fan of the type of character they made Selene into.
So was Selene saved by some Cthulu monster hiding on Earth and saved her and gave her the power of eturnal return and set her on a course to be an astronaut who would go to the Cthulu's planet to save it from monsters who was against the Cthulu or....am I way off?