• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.4%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 880 48.6%

• Total voters

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Each run, after I died I just went straight for the boss and used what I found along the way. After a few attempts he really isn't that hard. I'm scared of the next boss though.
I'm working on the second boss now, and he's really not too bad? I mean, to be fair, I half-knew what to expect going in because I watched the video of him that was posted on YT the week before release.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
its really annoying how many rooms have pits in them especially considering how dark the game is

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay is phenomenal, such pure fun! Graphics are okay but it's not that next-gen wow factor yet, even though the particles effects are sublime. Best thing is how fast and smooth everything is. I usually don't go for ultra difficult games, but I'm finding this accessible enough (even if I think there's no justification to not have difficulty and acessability options in today's games). I beat the first boss on my 3rd try. Not having the possibility to save is a bitch though. Makes no sense. Many of us have no option but to game in small chunks of time. I usually can't play more than 1h straight most days. And leaving the console on rest mode is not a viable option, it uses unnecessary energy and I may want to play other games in between Returnal sessions.
Overall, it'a been ultra fun so far and can't wait to play more.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Nooooo. Well, but i don't think the pistol would have made the cut. What's the best alt for the first boss? The yellow homing shot seems the best4for me so far.
Honestly, I think weapon proficiency is more important than what weapon you're using. As long as it isn't the shotgun.
Once you beat the first biome, how do you skip over it if you die?
You still have to track down the room with the transport gate in it, but it will be the orange dot on your map.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Just rolled credits.

I actually really liked what was present for narrative overall and the ending that we see here, but I refuse to believe that there isn't a "true ending" to this game. I loved the last boss but Hyperion is still the best one overall. All the bosses have such great presence and I really enjoy all of them.

Excellent game and I'm going to keep playing.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Ohhbhh shiiiiiiiiitt

where it turns into the kid playing returnal on ps5. That was fucking cool.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Was friday faded last night and decided to jump on and play - HOODAMN this gets hard when you're slow :-D

Was also doin screen sharing with a friend of mine in Cali who was also playing. We both had the share screen up of the other in PiP mode on one side of the screen. was very cool - and insanely smooth.

My guy has beaten the game and never saw the RutgutLauncher or whatever it's called. He's definitely still unlocking artifacts. I'm in love with how much is HERE in this game. So good

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the second boss on the first go at it. Had a mean shotgun that did good damage and I had a strong health pack item as well. That boss's bullet hell section was super cool.

I really like the shotguns in this game. What are peoples go to weapon?

Pistol Wth Homing missile is pretty good for me. But my hand hurt after boss fight. I like the Assualt Riffle wth the skill that reduce firerate but up the damage.

Second boss first try, died in the "challenging" room in dorm 3, i was feeling too strong...hehe

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
not gonna lie, the way from the ship to the 3rd boss is a pain in the ass and kills my motivation to continue. i always have to go through almost all of biome 1 + a significant portion of biome 3 (even with the shortcut). its almost shorter to go from 1 to 2 and then take the shortcuts there.

and during my last 2 runs it took ages until i got a new weapon. like 20 minutes. that has to be a bug.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite understand how the daily challenge leaderboards work. There's like 6 different boards for today, only one of which I'm ranked on. Are there 6 seeds of challenges and you get placed in one per day? Or can I do the other 5?

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite understand how the daily challenge leaderboards work. There's like 6 different boards for today, only one of which I'm ranked on. Are there 6 seeds of challenges and you get placed in one per day? Or can I do the other 5?

Yeah I'm wondering the same, doesn't seem super clear but maybe I'm just not interpreting it correctly

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I'm starting to feel like this game really is harder than souls games. I beat sekiro, bloodborne, and ds1/3, demon's and i didnt have nearly as much trouble.

I feel like theres just so much you need to do to even fight the boss by the time i fail once I'm so burnt out.

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
game glitched on a super good 2 hour run :( can't use the teleporter and i am stuck

fuck this sucks so bad

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have a good alt control scheme they recommend? I was thinking of going L1 - jump, L3 - dash, but wondering if the buttons are better

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Died at the 2nd boss fight. Awesome experience though. Hand kept quivering. Never experienced anything like that before.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the cycle at my 3rd run for the first time was quite pride, until I discovered it wasn't the end at all LOL. I'm pretty slow with my run so I'm already 14 plus hour on my seventh run.
I just discovered the 5th biome, the frozen one, was really not expecting that ! Very excited to discover maybe the last one I'd guess (don't spoil me if you reply).
I'm very intrigued by the narrative. Hope it will pays off nicely.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the 2nd biome and I unlocked a new daily challenge tier. Maybe it's different tiers

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to play some Enter The Gungeon as I had that and only played like 60 minutes at launch. Now that I understand how roguelike games work, Im having a blast with that game. I can see some of the criticism of Roguelike fans for Returnal, particularly with the lack of weapon diversity. Enemy diversity would have been nice too, I wonder if we could have seen smaller enemies that are more like classic grunt enemies-- flying drones, spiders, etc.

I dont have a problem with the enemy diversity as is per biome-- there are plenty. But I wonder if they could have put in smaller enemies to make their current enemies seem more special. All the enemies are designed really well, but the gunplay lacks in variety.

I really would like to see them make guns more appealing to use. The pistol should give you the fastest speed, for example. Are there upgrades like "Burst fire" for it?

The AR is incredibly diverse and I feel like I'm cheating using it, whereas the shotgun is fun, but way too limited. I wonder why they limited us to just 1 gun. I can see playstyles being much more interesting with a secondary gun. I also think ammo should have been a thing if that were the case.

So something like:

-Pistol is weakest, but has infinite ammo.
-AR requires tap fire at range, but is strong otherwise
-Shotgun is a great secondary, with rare ammo, movement is slower

I feel that would have added more depth.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
People are mentioning the shortcuts but it seems super tough to beat the third biome boss if you skip the whole second area. Miss out on a lot of hp upgrades and potential parasites.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, is there a " door won't open" bug?

just picked up an augment, and went to the exit, and the door simply won't open?

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
My game just crashed right before the 4th boss with an awesome build.... 4th biome is amazing, game keeps getting better but this crash shit is annoying af

The one crash I had so far really dragged down my enjoyment a fair bit. If you're gonna release a game with no save system at all, you have to release it absolutely flawless or it's just an exercise in frustration. The tension comes from knowing the run can implode at any time because of the crashes and bugs.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I'm starting to feel like this game really is harder than souls games. I beat sekiro, bloodborne, and ds1/3, demon's and i didnt have nearly as much trouble.

I feel like theres just so much you need to do to even fight the boss by the time i fail once I'm so burnt out.
Same, not having permanent stuff that truly makes a difference to my playstyle ruined a bit my plans to beat it multiple times, I'll probably finish it once and then from time to time come back, don't see myself replaying bosses unless trophies glitch again because there's no way to make them easier like Hades

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are mentioning the shortcuts but it seems super tough to beat the third biome boss if you skip the whole second area. Miss out on a lot of hp upgrades and potential parasites.

I'm about to drop the game honestly. The third biome is dog shit. I've had amazing runs just ruined by the worst possible room compositions.

The boss I've got to the third phase with half hp left even on awful runs but the last phase is very weapon dependent because you do next to no damage without getting close.

Yet to have a run where I get to him with good HP, weapon, heals, or revives.

If the biome was a little more balanced in what it puts in the lock when entering rooms, it'd be good.

The other issue is I've done so many runs I'm no longer getting new audio , cut scenes, items etc. So it's just a slog of repetition without anything to spice it up.

I'm basically trying one more session tonight of 3 to 5 runs and if I don't beat it then I'll YouTube the rest of the game.

I don't get the industry hard on for rogue like. It's the most obtuse and frustrating genre / sub genre that most folks will never complete your game due to losing interest from being in a forever loop of stuck. At least add bitch easy mode for those of us who just want to enjoy the story and gameplay .

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the fourth boss on my first try and honestly he was a cakewalk. And that's after dying five times in his biome before getting to him. I didn't even need to buff up that much because his patterns were simple and he never blitzes you or shoots instant lasers. You'd think he was the first boss.

Last edited:

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
So those bosses that spawn in the holes you fall in how exactly do you beat them in the starting areas if your weapons suck early on?

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Alright, I had a run going where i had more hp augments than I'd ever gotten at once before. I was a point away from having two full health bars and was still in the first biome. I really thought I was indestructible. Then the game drops me into a chamber with one of those uber-powered enemies, which seemed to have the ability to counter attack my shots. The counter attacks flew back at crazy speed, and it was difficult to even hit him without being hit myself. Each hit from those did ~half a normal healthbar, meaning that it killed me in four shots.

I'm sorry, but that balance just seems off. An random enemy in the first biome with fast attacks and counter attacks should not be able to kill you in 2 hits of a normal health bar.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
Am I blind or are other players corpses hard to find? I haven't been able to find any friends or non-friend corpses yet. Is there a marker or something for them? I want to avenge people!

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just had an incredible run that last through the first 3 biomes in one shot for a few hours and finished
act 1
. Nice little time to pause and push forward

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Couple of questions:
  • When using left trigger to aim down sights, does it give any kind of damage boost or is just for accuracy? I've been mostly free aiming for mobility but want to make sure im not missing out.
  • Am I crazy or does the 6 ether reconstruction not work if you switch biomes? Swore I redeemed in area 1 and then died in area 2 and didn't reconstruct, but want to verify.