• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.4%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 880 48.6%

• Total voters
Probably it was asked before... In some rooms there are chest or other items behind doors with bars. You can clearly see them. Yet i can't find a way to get past those "doors".

I need to mention that I still don't have grapling hook, and maybe that's why I won't get there.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Probably it was asked before... In some rooms there are chest or other items behind doors with bars. You can clearly see them. Yet i can't find a way to get past those "doors".

I need to mention that I still don't have grapling hook, and maybe that's why I won't get there.

Look around, there is usually a yellow light nearby that you can shoot and it will open the area to access the items.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Dam I just died at the second boss. Okaying another run I thought you got a teleport to go back to the summit?

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Pro tip :

#1 When taking a portal you will always find a proficiency item that will upgrade at the beginning of the level. For example, if you find the Biome 2 portal right at the beginning of your run and take it, you will find a proficiency item that brings you to weapon level 4, Biome 3 will bring you to level 9. Obviously you'll be lacking the Parasite, Artifact upgrades and you will need to find a new weapon.

#2 Leveling the different weapon skills are crucial. Many reason people feel that some guns are weaker is usually tied to the fact that they don't have any skills activate. Obviously some combination can be personally awful (I'm looking at you Charge Burst Pistol), while other combination can make you weapon you initially hated come very very strong. I initially hated the Electropylon, but after a few upgrade the dps was completely insane, same with full-auto on the rocket launcher.

#3 Always getting hit by the same skill? Some of those can be interrupted. The easiest one to explain are the flying Manta Ray (no clue what they are called in-game). When they glow yellow, it means they are about to do a melee attack which will more than likely hit you and do a lot of damage. Interrupt them with a few shots.

#4 Putting some time to do tip #2 greatly helps tip #1. With more skills unlock and their level 2 version (Havent seen lvl 3 yet), your gun will carry your through a higher biome with the lack of parasite and artifact. With will also allow you to do a complete run much faster.

Cheers everyone I hope some of these help!

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Well... credits just rolled.
3 recorded deaths in the stats screen.

The game seems to have clicked for me (+ stars have aligned with great RNG probably).

I have no idea how my experience can translate to other players' playstyles, but that may help those that struggle - I quickly decided to not pick up ANY potential malfunction and I don't feel like I was missing out on anything this way. Maybe it was key to my relatively comfortable time with the game.

+ pick up the electric pylon driver and learn to use it for crowd and space control. It makes bosses in the later half of the game presumably way easier as you can solely focus on movement and dodging. I would be surprised if it wasn't nerfed in a future update.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Each area has Fabricators that have a selection of artifacts.
Don't think you can pick the one at the ship.

Ah, those. Yeah, you need to get lucky to get the Astronaut as an option.

To everyone wanting an easier experience, there is a very easy way to cheese this game:

-Clear rooms until you get to a portal
-Teleport back to Helios and sleep in the bed until you get max health. Sleeping heals you
-Teleport back around the clear rooms to pick up the health tokens around the map. Healing at full health increases your max health bar, so if you dont pick up the health tokens and just clear a few rooms and heal in your ship, you can essentially farm the health packs.

It adds 3-4 minutes of backtracking between the ship and cleared rooms to pick up health, but it ensures you're always facing the boss with more HP than you start with
Wait... That's how health pick-ups work? I just thought there are separate items for healing and health expansions...

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Oh no, it's harder than (PS5) Demon's Souls?? :'(
Personally by far, Demon's Souls was quite easy and so was Hades in the roguelike department, Returnal just doesn't have enough permanent progress to make you feel powerful and destroy bosses, each run the enemies get stronger and you stay almost the same

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
The Hollowseeker fucking rips. Holy shit, I love this weapon, especially the perk that has the rounds bounce to nearby enemies.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
To everyone wanting an easier experience, there is a very easy way to cheese this game:

-Clear rooms until you get to a portal
-Teleport back to Helios and sleep in the bed until you get max health. Sleeping heals you
-Teleport back around the clear rooms to pick up the health tokens around the map. Healing at full health increases your max health bar, so if you dont pick up the health tokens and just clear a few rooms and heal in your ship, you can essentially farm the health packs.

It adds 3-4 minutes of backtracking between the ship and cleared rooms to pick up health, but it ensures you're always facing the boss with more HP than you start with
Wait, you can go back to the ship??? How?

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
What is max HP?

This is my 14th cycle...prepare phase for Boss#3 (Nemesis)

vkwVb5x.jpg

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Been having a great time playing. Just got completely stuck inside a room and couldn't get out, which messed up a good run.

so PSA to people: apparently the pre order suit can cause you to get stuck in rooms. Stick with the normal suit for now.
Just for another data point: I own the Digital Deluxe and have used a pre-order suit the entirety of the 12 hours I've been playing. I've never seen a single crash or been stuck in a room. Either I'm lucky or something else is causing those problems for people.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Doesn't feel that way to me at all, and I'm flat out bad at souls games.
I'm stuck on the first boss and while I wouldn't say it's harder this game certainly seems be more demanding. The lack of saves and limited healing make it way harder for me at the moment whereas Souls I'm happy enough to fish Isshin 30 times in a row because well he is right next to the damn save point lol.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Whats yall favorite weapon/perks rn?
Im in love with the Hollowseeker with Serrated Projectiles, it carries me so hard whenever I get it.

WJD

Nov 4, 2017
My first run felt pretty good, got the boss down to his last 25% of health or so before fucking up.

But every run since has been brutal. So much harder in terms of enemies, lack of good weapons and items.

Will hopefully crack it later after a bit of a break.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm dying a lot, but the restart is quick, and this is fine.

Curious how the difficulty progression works. Does appear to unlock harder stuff as you acquire permanent upgrades.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
It is way more soul crushing if you play Returnal like its a From game. You gotta take every run as a fresh slate.
Personally by far, Demon's Souls was quite easy and so was Hades in the roguelike department, Returnal just doesn't have enough permanent progress to make you feel powerful and destroy bosses, each run the enemies get stronger and you stay almost the same
Definitely harder than Demon's Souls for me, but I think it depends on what genre you're more used to

Oh damn this isn't good for me. I'm terrible at DS so def going to wait till it's on sale.

Doesn't feel that way to me at all, and I'm flat out bad at souls games.

A bit of hope here though lol

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I almost reached the boss room in biome 3, but I entered a side room which was a huge trap. I need a break.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
So does anyone know how to return to the Helios like somebody here said? I honestly haven't found anything

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Pro tip :

#1 When taking a portal you will always find a proficiency item that will upgrade at the beginning of the level. For example, if you find the Biome 2 portal right at the beginning of your run and take it, you will find a proficiency item that brings you to weapon level 4, Biome 3 will bring you to level 9. Obviously you'll be lacking the Parasite, Artifact upgrades and you will need to find a new weapon.

#2 Leveling the different weapon skills are crucial. Many reason people feel that some guns are weaker is usually tied to the fact that they don't have any skills activate. Obviously some combination can be personally awful (I'm looking at you Charge Burst Pistol), while other combination can make you weapon you initially hated come very very strong. I initially hated the Electropylon, but after a few upgrade the dps was completely insane, same with full-auto on the rocket launcher.

#3 Always getting hit by the same skill? Some of those can be interrupted. The easiest one to explain are the flying Manta Ray (no clue what they are called in-game). When they glow yellow, it means they are about to do a melee attack which will more than likely hit you and do a lot of damage. Interrupt them with a few shots.

#4 Putting some time to do tip #2 greatly helps tip #1. With more skills unlock and their level 2 version (Havent seen lvl 3 yet), your gun will carry your through a higher biome with the lack of parasite and artifact. With will also allow you to do a complete run much faster.

Cheers everyone I hope some of these help!
These are great tips! It took me about 8 hours of playing (and failing) in the first Biome before I understood many of these.

I'd add one more in the Sword. Once I started using it to take out most of the low level "dogs" and "bats" in Biome 1, the game got a lot easier for me. It one-shots most low level enemies and can even stagger many of the medium ones. Jump and slash those "bats" for maximum fun. 😊

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone help me with this, I'm stuck in a room on the first biome, surrounded by turrents that have sheilds and the doors are locked. I can't kill these turrents with anything I have.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone help me with this, I'm stuck in a room on the first biome, surrounded by turrents that have sheilds and the doors are locked. I can't kill these turrents with anything I have.
Keep doing story objectives, you'll unlock something that lets you break through the shields.
The sword, melee attack the shields to break them

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In biome 4 and I feel like I'm taking fall damage from everything. I don't recall taking fall damage from anything in the first 3 biomes.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
After about 8h of playtime I'm loving the game but at the same time the disappointment is really settling in with the lack of feeling I'm progressing at a steady pace, I don't really like how you only keep stuff like ether and a few permanent tools.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I got to the 4th boss twice in my first three runs in that biome last night before I went to bed. Today, I'm dying within 5-10 minutes every run lol. I don't know if I lost the touch overnight or what. Feels like the difficulty went from "normal" to "hard".