• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.4%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 880 48.6%

• Total voters

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
As a fan of rogue-likes, um.......wow! This game is awesome. I've finally wrapped my head around all of the different systems, and now feel reasonably comfortable exploring. The gunplay feels so freaking bad ass.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Somehow I went on a three hour run unintentionally. Managed to make it to the first boss with very little health and died. Game is butt-clenching tense, but it's soooo good to weave through enemy projectiles.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah so like I pretty much explored all of biome 1 and was stressing about my health. I just said hmm let me just go lay down in the ship and I had full health, I took a video I'll watch it later to be sure I wasn't going crazy.
I was able to get back to my ship with a teleported close enough to it and I'm pretty sure laying down gave me my health back.

i would've guessed going back to sleep / healing would also maybe respawn enemies, but not reset the map, maybe?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of swapping the Dash and Melee buttons since I use Dash far more and that's usually where my thumb rests.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah so like I pretty much explored all of biome 1 and was stressing about my health. I just said hmm let me just go lay down in the ship and I had full health, I took a video I'll watch it later to be sure I wasn't going crazy.
I was able to get back to my ship with a teleported close enough to it and I'm pretty sure laying down gave me my health back.
That would be major in these early runs of getting used to the rooms, enemies and the like. Really good spot if that is the case 👍

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Just scraped by the first boss lol. This game is definitely going to take me a while since I've been at it for 4 hours now. But it's been fun so far. All the systems are starting to click and make sense.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
yooo just beat the first boss. Had a shotgun with a the laser shot, so I didn't really need to be too close to it to damage it. Liking it so far, especially the haptics.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I'm amazed by this game. Couldn't stop playing it last night...
What a great job HM did here. I'm addicted.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
So reconstructors are basically checkpoints? So if my PS5 fucks up in restmode at least I'll start there instead of the beginning, cool. Expensive though.
Don't think that's right. If you die in a run you'll respawn at the reconstructor but it only applies to that run. If your PS5 crashes then it's back to the beginning.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so feeling out the second biome as I start to think about the systems more and some of the enemy encounters, I feel like I understand how I want to approach the game. Just thinking about getting better is really exciting. The game is very deliberate in what it does, it really goes in on rewarding the player for playing well.
This is a super cool game.

Noscusen

Dec 19, 2020
I played for 2.5 hours and beat the first boss. No crashes or bugs yet.(knock on the wood) But the graphics arent impressive as demons souls. It is like a blur effect i think. (sorry for my english it is not my native language)

Oct 27, 2017
I caught the last hour of a streamer's 10 hour run, where he died for the first time after 9 hours 45 minutes or so. Feels like reviews haven't emphasized this as much, but the game can absolutely prop you up to be ridiculous beast. Granted, this guy is a better player than most, but he was finding some insane weaponry.

Is he Elajjaz? Chat was trashing the game because it was too easy, i also was confused because everyone kept saying the game is hard.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I'm hearing the narrative progression and the storytelling isn't as great as Hades. I wouldn't be surprised, Greg Kasavin and the feam had to create a whole new system to manage that with the deathloop. This is also Housemarque's first narrative heavy game. Anyone else near or finished the endgame share or disagree with this opinion?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actually I don't think the side paths always take you to the furthest biome. What a weird map.

Back to being lost again, I guess.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the biggest fan of these games and I'm not particularly great at action gameplay, but so far this game is a ton of fun.
Only done with the first biodome though, so we'll see. :D

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Somehow I went on a three hour run unintentionally. Managed to make it to the first boss with very little health and died. Game is butt-clenching tense, but it's soooo good to weave through enemy projectiles.
Three hours to make it to the first boss?? And the game only saves if you beat a boss? Shit this is gonna be tough. I rarely get to have a gaming session longer than an hour and a half.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Played for about 5 hours. First boss took me 3 tries to beat, second boss I beat on my first encounter but the third area sent me back to a new cycle.

What a great game honestly having a blast with it. It's just simply fun to play

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Woke up at 2 am. Was gonna go back to sleep but wanted to try this out for 15 minutes or so. Wound up playing 3 hours lmao. Beat the first boss on my first try (with help from a little astronaut) but got the breaks beaten off me by a sentient.

This shit's good.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Yes I said that I wouldnt pay full price for the game but the lack of something new to okay in a long long time made jump in...
Played for 2 hours and honestly don't know what to say...
Game is interesting but I have to say that I am not blow away by this...
Died 4 or 5 times and I think I didn't make much progress.
Theres things I didn't understand yet but others I think I get it.
I didn't liked the feel of the gunplay yet.
The guns ( at least the 2 ones I tried) felt a little weaker and without that feeling of punch.
Visually the game is interesting but for me, at least in the first biome, it really is not impressive at all.
I will play much more but I think I need a better headphone to enjoy more the audio work.
I am not liking very much of the gun sounds.
I don't know, until now, I feel mixed reactions, I hope it gets better for me when I get used with the flow of the game and fully understand all the mechanics.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I did and it keeps taking me to the pit that drops me down to the first boss.
You're looking for a door with something like a circle above it. Just watched VoD of a stream from yesterday and they were just running past everything to get to the door to the next biome.

EDIT: I see you found it.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I streamed the game for 2.5 hours tonight, and it was exactly what I imagined it would be. Fantastic game so far.

I only died twice. Once, at the start, when you're "supposed to," and the second time was in the second biome, when i went into a secret room and was killed by a crazy enemy with a huge health bar.

I managed to beat the first boss on my first run, but a lot of that was because I spent so much time in that biome collecting everything, upgrading my health (my extended health bar was almost as large as my default health bar lol), and i lucked out with a parasite that saved me from dying twice during the boss fight, since it restored health when i was low health.

I had to force myself to take a break, because I would have kept playing all night. I'm looking forward to diving back in later today. I'm so glad Housemarque was given the opportunity to really show off what they could do. I can definitely see myself playing this game for a long time. Excellent controls, Dual Sense support, audio, atmosphere, visuals, intriguing narrative, it's really a total package game, that's for sure.

I haven't found it too difficult, but it's certainly hard. I can see that it rewards engaging with the systems and just getting better at reading enemy tells and patterns, as well as just being more aware of your own position, movement, and timing of your offensive and defensive abilities. I had no doubt Housemarque was going to deliver, but, man, they nailed it. We'll see how I feel after I spend the whole weekend with the game, but it's a winner for me so far.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're looking for a door with something like a circle above it. Just watched VoD of a stream from yesterday and they were just running past everything to get to the door to the next biome.

EDIT: I see you found it.

But sometimes the door with the circle above it takes you to biome 2 instead of biome 3. It hasn't been consistent with opening it up to the latest biome.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Can someone explain to me the Save Problem I hear about?
there is no save at all in this game? if you get a permanent upgrade, it will not be saved if you turn off the console????

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
But sometimes the door with the circle above it takes you to biome 2 instead of biome 3. It hasn't been consistent with opening it up to the latest biome.
Oh I wasn't actually aware you can skip to the latest - I just assumed the door would take you to biome 2 and then you'd need to find the next door for biome 3.

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm hearing the narrative progression and the storytelling isn't as great as Hades. I wouldn't be surprised, Greg Kasavin and the feam had to create a whole new system to manage that with the deathloop. This is also Housemarque's first narrative heavy game. Anyone else near or finished the endgame share or disagree with this opinion?

It's very different. Hades is very much based on conversations between characters with constant dialogue windows. This is more lore-based and cryptic.I really like it because I'm a sucker for that kind of dark cosmic horror sci-fi and environmental storytelling.

Paper Cheese

Oct 9, 2019
There are always two "doors with a circle above" to be found in every run on Overgrown Ruins, and you'll know which is the right one the moment you enter it, it's just random which one turns up first.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Is there any way to go back a region? I'm trying to see if I can go back to my ship. I'm on the 3rd biome/1st run

Oct 26, 2017
Tanked a shield hit ); You are meant to move back, dash and then jump-dash over it, but alas I only got like 5 hours sleep cause this game is so good

Knuf

Oct 28, 2017
Well, well, my copy got just delivered, let's just hope tonight I'll be able to join the fun this game is bringing y'all!
Can't wait!