• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly would love to hear about the permanent progression, but don't sweat it. Going by everything we've heard, it's gonna be a long game. Better savor it!

Someone on Reddit has the game and provided some information:
Stuff that carries over:
"Unlocked weapon traits (snubnose, high caliber, homing shots, phasing shots). These will appear on weapons you pick-up. You can get a weapon with a locked trait and have to unlocked it first by using it.

Tools such as the Alt-fire module, fast-travel teleports and katana, keys such as to the house and teleports.

You carry ether over to the next cycle, it's a currency that can be used to remove debuffs on items before picking it up, or buy random artifact at the start of a cycle."

Stuff that is lost:
"Some that are lost: health upgrades, weapon, weapon proficiency(governs how high level weapons you get as drops), parasites, artifacts, consumables, keys, normal currency."

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Stuff that carries over:
"Unlocked weapon traits (snubnose, high caliber, homing shots, phasing shots). These will appear on weapons you pick-up. You can get a weapon with a locked trait and have to unlocked it first by using it.

Tools such as the Alt-fire module, fast-travel teleports and katana, keys such as to the house and teleports.

You carry ether over to the next cycle, it's a currency that can be used to remove debuffs on items before picking it up, or buy random artifact at the start of a cycle."

Stuff that is lost:
"Some that are lost: health upgrades, weapon, weapon proficiency(governs how high level weapons you get as drops), parasites, artifacts, consumables, keys, normal currency."

Health upgrades, currency and weapon proficiency? Woof, really not liking the sound of that.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Did someone already tried to redeem the preorder bonuses from Amazon and get and error back from the PSN?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Stuff that carries over:

Stuff that is lost:

Surprised to hear ether doesn't have that many uses. I was hoping you could buy some permanent upgrades with it or something.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised to hear ether doesn't have that many uses. I was hoping you could buy some permanent upgrades with it or something.

Afaik the only things you can buy with ether is stuff you get for one cycle, but it seems to include very useful stuff like an extra life (that may not be available at the beginning though)

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Afaik the only things you can buy with ether is stuff you get for one cycle, but it seems to include very useful stuff like an extra life (that may not be available at the beginning though)

Yeah, definitely. I wonder if you can stockpile ether through multiple runs and then go all out, activating/purifying/buying every single thing during a run to give you a proper edge.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

anybody know Finnish? Seems like some cool returnal backstory. Hopefully they have something in English or with caption soon.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, definitely. I wonder if you can stockpile ether through multiple runs and then go all out, activating/purifying/buying every single thing during a run to give you a proper edge.

I was just thinking about the exact same thing: You farm ether, savescum and can do infinite runs where you can go all out.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Got it!
4klIAJB_d.webp

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I need to finish ghosts of Tsushima to free up some space or I need to buy a usb ssd. Hmmm.

Oct 31, 2017
So... Fextralife apparently accidentally posted their review early and it's a 9/10. According to one of my friends here who's not an insider but not someone who makes stuff up a lot.

Can anyone confirm this? Or did I miss it in this thread (went back to page 10).

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
So... Fextralife apparently accidentally posted their review early and it's a 9/10. According to one of my friends here who's not an insider but not someone who makes stuff up a lot.

Can anyone confirm this? Or did I miss it in this thread (went back to page 10).
I can see it in Google search, but I dunno how to get to the cached version 👀

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Got a dispatch notice from the eBay seller. Not that confident in the Royal Mail these days but fingers crossed.

Rsinart

Oct 27, 2017
This is a game I had no intention of picking up, but from what I keep reading and seeing I think I kinda got to give it a shot. It looks super fun to play just hope my hands can keep up.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Returnal was neither a game I was looking forward to, or knew too much about before playing this past week. I'm generally not a fan of rogue-like games, but Returnal has changed my perspective completely. And, while I enjoyed Hades immensely "for a rogue-like game", I simply enjoyed Returnal. Full Stop.
Think this might be encouraging to people interested but not fans of the genre.

For example, once you reach the summit in the second biome you will unlock a gate that ports you up there much earlier in the biome, no matter the lay out. This means you can skip half the biome if you want on subsequent attempts.
There are shortcuts to unlock, but this implies to me that you can't simply skip biomes at will.

Estimated 30-50 hour playtime (excluding daily challenges etc) and rated 9/10 for "price point", whatever that means.

Sounds promising! The review is glowing throughout. The save system isn't really mentioned which leans me toward it not being a big problem, no mention of average run time unfortunately

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Returnal will provide most players between 30-50 hours of gameplay, depending on their skill level, patience, and how much they want to explore. As I mentioned, as you progress the game, certain areas open up to you in previous zones, that provide not only more gear, but also more lore and explanations of what is happening on Atropos.

Some players may not want to do this, but I feel most players will, so I think a larger portion will lean towards the 50 hours side of things. That is exceptional value in my opinion, for such a high quality game.

Returnal trying to make every one of those 70 dollars worth it

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Nice
Are you going to play it straight away?
On it right now.

So, initial, visceral impressions after my first death.

Holy f does this feel next gen. 3d audio and dual sense are AMAZING here. The topical thing to mention is the rain, but it just feels so awesome, and when you take cover from it, the transition from having rain droplets falling on you and then not, wow. Also small movements Selene does, translate perfectly to the haptics, pretty amazing.

3d audio on PS5 has not been much of a highlight for me up until this very game.

The music and the atmosphere, I have no words. It's like a perfect fusion between Alien/Prometheus and Metroid prime.

Rock solid 60fps, tight controls. Amazing graphics.

This game has one of the strongest starts I can remember, like it makes a statement and welcomes you into it in a very very cinematic and amazing way.

Hyped to keep playing.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
That review mentions some tech you get in later biomes allows you to unlock areas in earlier biomes. Wasn't sure if there was a reason to go back to older areas before.