• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to turn it on tonight after talking about it and actually full human combo'd world 1 for the first time on Master.

Then I watched your gameplay and sheesh, our world 1 scores were similar but you blow me out of the after moving afterwards. I need to learn a ton about the other worlds, I don't even know secret levels or visitor positions in those yet. You've also inspired me to switch from smartbomb over to power shot as you seem to melt things away with that thing. I thought the extra iframes from smartbomb was necessary but I also like how you clear out local enemies with the blast radius from power shot.

I guess the secret to a high score is just don't die and keep upping human combo huh?

I know this isn't a Returnal post, apologies (nex machina deserves more attention and is a superb lead in to Returnal so I don't feel guilty)

Yea, my advice if you were going for high scores is to learn all the secrets so you can eventually put all of it together. The game expects a lot from the player: memorize location of secret levels, destroy hidden beacons, powerup boxes, humans and secret humans, visitors, killing disruptors. It's a lot to manage so I can see why people might get frustrated. Master just takes it to 11 because of the revenge bullets. Hero turns it to a 15 though lol.

In regards to Smartbomb, I think that's the choice of players on Master because it gives you some added protection. There's no charge time compared to Powershot, which is a little harder to use in Master.

Going back to high scores, also learn the locations of Multiplier tokens and extra lives. After you have 5 lives, every extra life token you find after is actually a multiplier token.

Many different layers of getting a high score. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Like you, all this talk has made me want to play Master as well, lol. I haven't put nearly enough time into it compared to Veteran though.

My hope for Returnal (and this is coming from someone who enjoys the high score chase) is that they have some underlying mechanics like Nex or even Resogun to climb whatever leaderboards they might potentially have.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, my advice if you were going for high scores is to learn all the secrets so you can eventually put all of it together. The game expects a lot from the player: memorize location of secret levels, destroy hidden beacons, powerup boxes, humans and secret humans, visitors, killing disruptors. It's a lot to manage so I can see why people might get frustrated. Master just takes it to 11 because of the revenge bullets. Hero turns it to a 15 though lol.

In regards to Smartbomb, I think that's the choice of players on Master because it gives you some added protection. There's no charge time compared to Powershot, which is a little harder to use in Master.

Going back to high scores, also learn the locations of Multiplier tokens and extra lives. After you have 5 lives, every extra life token you find after is actually a multiplier token.

Many different layers of getting a high score. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Like you, all this talk has made me want to play Master as well, lol. I haven't put nearly enough time into it compared to Veteran though.

My hope for Returnal (and this is coming from someone who enjoys the high score chase) is that they have some underlying mechanics like Nex or even Resogun to climb whatever leaderboards they might potentially have.

Nice, I'll probably jam this for a bit until Returnal drops. Don't think I'll have the time to master all the dynamics of a full run but I love the game so it'll be a nice hold over until the end of April. Maybe I can double my score or at least clear it on Master.

The other major takeaway i had from watching your run was you absolutely melting Architect with the Laser. I am absolutely going to use that for that boss from now on, instead of wasting time taking out the turrets.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless these guys are damn good at making trailers, I'm really optimistic about this game

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
The whole setting, cutscenes, atmosphere looks really good. But I can't fit that arcade gameplay style to this game and that drives me away...

Oct 25, 2017
I'm baffled that people still think this is not a legit triple A

Yeah. it's probably because we never really had an AAA roguelite before. But just looking at the cinematics, the insanely detailed first-person sequences, the crazy particles effects popping off everywhere... this is definitely not another Binding of Isaac.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
If it's not yet been decided what the OT subtitle will be, I'd like to suggest "Atropos of Nothing".

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'll be genuinely amazed if there isn't an option to replay individual biomes after you complete them or even just do a non-story run to try and top leaderboards.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Can't wait 'til April 30th when I fire up that bad boy...................and then wait for a 10gb+ day one patch to download and install!

TwinPeaksBOB

Mar 6, 2018
The game looks cool, but 100 $ for the standard edition is too much money when I'm not shure if I will enjoy the gameplay. Never really been a fan of bullet hell games or roguelites.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I'll probably jam this for a bit until Returnal drops. Don't think I'll have the time to master all the dynamics of a full run but I love the game so it'll be a nice hold over until the end of April. Maybe I can double my score or at least clear it on Master.

The other major takeaway i had from watching your run was you absolutely melting Architect with the Laser. I am absolutely going to use that for that boss from now on, instead of wasting time taking out the turrets.

A friend of mine recommended using Laser for Architect, which I definitely prefer over Rocket Launcher (which I used before).

In terms of the turrets, it's really the one on the right you'll have to worry about, specifically in the 2nd and 3rd phase, since he throws out the laser you can't dodge through. I concentrate on that as soon as it appears. Dashing into it to damage it with Dash Explosion and using Laser.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Housemarque makes the kind of games that makes my eyes water, because I either forget to blink or afraid I'd miss something and die if I did. Hopefully Returnal is no different.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Housemarque makes the kind of games that makes my eyes water, because I either forget to blink or afraid I'd miss something and die if I did. Hopefully Returnal is no different.
Pretty much this.

I won't lie (i've said it multiple times on era) that I absolutely -hate- the art style in this game in particular compared to their others, but I'll be damned if Housemarque don't make some of the most adrenaline-pumping heart racing games that have my hands feeling like I'm trying to crush my controller from the intensity by the end of the level. There's not a gaming-intoxication quite like it and I'm here for it.

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
This is the game I wait the most at this moment. I absolutely love the main character and man, I can only dream how good this will to play. Not gonna wait for reviews!

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The gifs have sold me after radio silence on this. I'm going all physical for PS5 just in case I want to resell my games and until the SSD update hits this summer then it's 2tb NVME for me.

I already pre ordered Ratchet so this is gonna be damn good.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much this.

I won't lie (i've said it multiple times on era) that I absolutely -hate- the art style in this game in particular compared to their others, but I'll be damned if Housemarque don't make some of the most adrenaline-pumping heart racing games that have my hands feeling like I'm trying to crush my controller from the intensity by the end of the level. There's not a gaming-intoxication quite like it and I'm here for it.
I love the art style personally. It's basically lovecraftian bullet hell lol. Hope we get a demo because I'm super eager to try this out.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Not sure if I will play this, I'm kind of annoyed that I can't beat Spelunkey 2 (First roguelike where I couldn't do it, I just don't feel like playing another one so soon.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I love the art style personally. It's basically lovecraftian bullet hell lol. Hope we get a demo because I'm super eager to try this out.
I think once I'm playing it, I'll like it better but there's something about it that's not clicking with me pre-release which isn't typical with their games.

Would LOVE a demo - but luckily, even if I don't end up loving the art it won't affect my enjoyment of the game. I adore HM too much.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I'm baffled that people still think this is not a legit triple A
That doesn't necessarily suggest anything regarding what they think of the quality of the game. Housemarque are a relatively small studio and have made primarily arcade style smaller games (although my favourite game from them is Transworld Snowboarding), so it's not really strange for people to be surprised by a bigger game here.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
if this game played like a methodical shooter they'd call it another "movie, walking-game" so you can't win

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They've already confirmed this is the case. There are shortcuts as well.
This is the case with almosy any roguelite. There will be things that will permanently make you stronger so that future runs will be easier.

I've played a few roguelikes that don't do this too though. Instead they take the approach of (often random) accumulated items that boost your abilities or power output for that run, but they have no permanent upgrades.

Like, I don't mind a boss or area being challenging and having to "git gud" to get past them...but I don't want the second third fourth etc run to require the same level of skill with the same level of pressure/frustration or difficulty. Once I've done it once i want subsequent runs to basically be easy mode until you reach new content and the difficulty normalises again. Otherwise it just ends up feeling like a chore.

I need 100% confirmation that's how things work here and I think a deep dive demo would help do that.

Oct 25, 2017
I've played a few roguelikes that don't do this too though. Instead they take the approach of (often random) accumulated items that boost your abilities or power output for that run, but they have no permanent upgrades.

Like, I don't mind a boss or area being challenging and having to "git gud" to get past them...but I don't want the second third fourth etc run to require the same level of skill with the same level of pressure/frustration or difficulty. Once I've done it once i want subsequent runs to basically be easy mode until you reach new content and the difficulty normalises again. Otherwise it just ends up feeling like a chore.

I need 100% confirmation that's how things work here and I think a deep dive demo would help do that.

This is from the Push Square interview with Housemarque:
So for example, after you've defeated the first boss [for the first time], the portal to the next biome opens and stays open for your next sessions. Doing that, you can always go back to the boss, gear up, get a lot of health upgrades, level up your character and proficiency and weapons. All these things add up to making the run ahead of you that bit easier.

So you can skip completed biomes if you want.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Pre-ordered.

I'm curious about the tech driving the beam-effects and the creature tentacles. The physics behind it makes the game stand out as things look liquid as if it was sea-creatures but airborne.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User banned (1 day): Portbegging, prior warning for similar
hopefully this comes to PC...

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Checked on Amazon for the pre-order. April 30 and Ratchet a matter of weeks later? Damn, that's a lot of goodness in a short span of time.
Dude, May is fucking packed. You have Returnal, Resident Evil VIII, Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Deathloop, Biomutant (which may or may not turn out well, we'll see), releasing on a weekly basis, and then Ratchet a couple weeks after Biomutant.

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
I'm sure the game is gonna have good gameplay but it just doesn't seem appealing to me. I'm expecting it to review well.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is from the Push Square interview with Housemarque:

So you can skip completed biomes if you want.

As long as skipping biomes doesn't leave you at a disadvantage in the new biome. From what I've read about this one there is still some of that accumulation of ability buffs that you gain by playing through a biome though?

Meaning yes, you're dealing with repetition by playing through biome 1 again...but you'll be starting out in biome 2 at an advantage you otherwise wouldn't if you just skipped there.

This is what a nice long gameplay demo would show us. I hope we get one before launch.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
This game gets a lot of criticism or should I say skepticism but I'm not sure why? People love doom and this doesn't look that much different. It's a run and gun, shooter but it has bullet hell elements, but then people loved Hades and enter the gungeon.

It's like people love these games as long as they "stay in their place" as isometric indie games or something.