• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

As a fresher component to a Housemarque game, the State of Play also touches upon the ways we create a tangible atmosphere, where you'll piece together the story's mysteries. We recently shared a bit more about the world of Returnal in our "Atropos" video (check it out here if you missed it). Narrative is a big part of the Returnal experience, though we're telling that story in some subtle ways: You'll encounter voice logs and glimpses of different realities on your journey, without distracting you from the bullet hell action of the main game. This all adds up to a layered and personal story that we can't wait to have you get stuck into – especially the playable sequences which you'll learn more about very soon…

blog.playstation.com

Dive into the abyss with all-new Returnal gameplay

An ever-changing locale with hostile foes around every corner, arriving April 30 on PS5

Previews and interviews:

What really shines through, exclusively with the PS5, is the 3D audio is something that really lets players tap into that feedback loop. When somebody appears behind you, immediately, you can turn around and shoot them without any kind of visual clues.

Similarly, with the DualSense controller for example, if you press the L2 trigger half-way you'll aim down sights. But, if you press it the full way, you'll reach an alternative fire for your weapon.
www.bbc.co.uk

BBC Scotland - The Social - How Returnal will push the PS5 to its limits

Jordan gets a super early look at Returnal, and speaks to the developers Housemarque.
press-start.com.au

We Spoke To Housemarque About PS5 Exclusive Returnal And Here's Everything We Learned

We Spoke To Housemarque About PS5 Exclusive Returnal And Here's Everything We Learned
www.pushsquare.com

Interview: Returnal PS5 Developer Housemarque Talks Story, Replayability, and Value

Permanent progression, first person segments, and more discussed
www.gamespot.com

PS5's Returnal Aims To Capture The Horror Of Being Trapped In A Time Loop

In our extended look at Housemarque's upcoming roguelike shooter, we saw how the developers inject cosmic horror into a narrative-driven game.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
That looks so good. I hope he rogue-lite elements aren't too harsh and have a steady sense of progression.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
I will still wait for a sale but this is the best thing they've shown so far. I'm more optimistic than yesterday.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem for me at all. I've seen it compared to Risk of Rain 2 and if that's the case I'd rather just play ROR2.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Dying and returning where the world has changed sounds super cool! Will keep an eye on this :D

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The monster design and movement is absolutely stellar, love the mane tentacles.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I absolutely like the setting, style and effects on screen. Focus on narration sounds good, too. Not sure how unforgiving the gameplay loop is though.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I enjoyed previous hosemarque games for their smooth gameplay but this looked so janky to play.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
not going to lie, the tentacled aliens were straight out of the Tom Cruise movie, Live, Die, Repeat.. (and I'm ok with that!) :)

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Gameplay looks so dope. The main character looks so lame though. Makes the whole game uninteresting to me 😩

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
As a fresher component to a Housemarque game, the State of Play also touches upon the ways we create a tangible atmosphere, where you'll piece together the story's mysteries. We recently shared a bit more about the world of Returnal in our "Atropos" video (check it out here if you missed it). Narrative is a big part of the Returnal experience, though we're telling that story in some subtle ways: You'll encounter voice logs and glimpses of different realities on your journey, without distracting you from the bullet hell action of the main game. This all adds up to a layered and personal story that we can't wait to have you get stuck into – especially the playable sequences which you'll learn more about very soon…
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/25/dive-into-the-abyss-with-all-new-returnal-gameplay/

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
tenor.gif

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017

I was lucky enough to be shown a 20 minute demo showing off some of the environments and weapons that players will get to experience when the game launches later this year. I was also able to sit down with several of the team's directors to talk about the creative process behind Returnal and how they intend to push the power of the PS5.

I was joined by Harry Krueger (Game Director), Greg Louden (Narrative Director), Mikael Haveri (Marketing Director) and Pedro Sousa from Sony's XDev team.

What really shines through, exclusively with the PS5, is the 3D audio is something that really lets players tap into that feedback loop. When somebody appears behind you, immediately, you can turn around and shoot them without any kind of visual clues.

Similarly, with the DualSense controller for example, if you press the L2 trigger half-way you'll aim down sights. But, if you press it the full way, you'll reach an alternative fire for your weapon.

www.bbc.co.uk

BBC Scotland - The Social - How Returnal will push the PS5 to its limits

Jordan gets a super early look at Returnal, and speaks to the developers Housemarque.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Im shocked we got a big budget narrative driven rougelite before a single player battle royal

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I got to see about 20 minutes of the game and chat to the team and I must say, I'm super impressed. What I got to see fleshes out the game so much better than what we've seen in trailers so far.

press-start.com.au

I'm getting more and more interested. Is it too hard? (or has difficulty options)

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
I got to see about 20 minutes of the game and chat to the team and I must say, I'm super impressed. What I got to see fleshes out the game so much better than what we've seen in trailers so far.

press-start.com.au

Just like other Housemarque games, Returnal will have challenges to complete and leaderboards for you to compete against friends.

"So there will be ghosts and other players, but we'll be announcing more of this closer to launch," said Haveri.

"There's also a daily challenge system, that will give you a resource. Using some of these additional resources can give you a bit of an advantage as you play through, so the daily challenge is another way for you to come back and compete on the leaderboard and see how you stack up with other players" said Louden.

So no online co-op (as rumoured).

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
This is gonna be one of those games I'm terrible at but I buy anyway because it looks so cool.
I own every from software game but I tell you what. I'm terrible at every one. I felt this.

prolly not buying. Getting MLB the show 21 on xsx(waited 15 years or so for this!), re8, and r&c. And probably Pokémon sword used tomorrow

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Just gets better the more we see of it. Housemarque hasn't let me down even since I played super stardust all those years ago.

The movement and combat is right up my street.