• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Returnal a good name?

• Yes

Votes: 616 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 568 32.5%
  • ayy lmao

Votes: 562 32.2%

• Total voters

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Very intrigued by this one,the word roguelike would normally mean an instant pass for me,but let's see how the game is designed because I like the look of it a lot.
I also think the name is pretty neat but then I think the PS5 looks pretty neat too,lol.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
I signed a NDA, I can't answer : )
But I can share a few pics from the studio! They also gave (and signed) me the copy of the Nex Machina documentary 'The Name of the Game', stored in their glass cabinet!

20191011_211006.jpg

20191011_172944.jpg

20191011_172951.jpg
20191011_172957.jpg
This is awesome. That must have been a blast. I still need to watch the documentary one of these days.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
The Trailer was quite heavy on Narrative, including some First Person Scenes, so i'm interested to see how they approach it in a Roguelike.
I don't like Roguelikes very much, so i kinda hope it actually leans a bit more into the Roguelite Spectrum and when you die you don't have to comepletly restart from scratch. She is saying the Planet is changing her, i hope that Abilities you unlock in a Playthrough stay unlocked along other things.
Because the more often i returnaled to that Trailer, the more i liked it. But if it's a Hardcore Roguelike Game i probably won't be buying it.

Kyle Barrett

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I'm guessing whoever came up with that name is also not an English native speaker. It sounds goofy, which would not be a problem if the game itself was that way - but the game tone is that of a horror, or it at least presents itself very seriously.
It reminds me of those whimsical, borderline nonsense JRPG game names, like "Romancing SaGa Re: Universe" and many others, or something like Revengeance (but that game knew its place and tone).

Housemarque tends to give these kind of portmanteau punny names to their games (Alienation, Resogun, Nex Machina, Matterfall), which worked fine so far, but it just seems like they took it a step too far here.

Actually when you put it like that, I disagree and am noticing they've never managed to produce a good game title.

The game however looks super cool, it looks like Vanquish by way of the Alien universe. Definitely like the look of it.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Actually when you put it like that, I disagree and am noticing they've never managed to produce a good game title.

The game however looks super cool, it looks like Vanquish by way of the Alien universe. Definitely like the look of it.
Keep in mind that all of their games so far had this element of goofy fun to them - in Resogun you for example juggle people to throw them into safety. So an offbeat game name matches the tone. Here, that's not really the case.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Reminded me of Arrival/Annihilation.
Really liked the atmosphere.
Yeah, Annihilation is exactly what came to my mind when I saw the trailer lol.

I'm not 100% sold on the game yet, but I'm definitely intrigued and will keep it on my radar. Loved the atmosphere, the enemy designs, and the combat/gameplay looked really promising based on the tiny snippet we saw. Facial animation (and graphics in general) look like they could use some work, and I'm cautiously intrigued by how they plan on implementing the rougelike elements, but I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I thought the name was dumb as hell at first, but it's grown on me a bit lol.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing whoever came up with that name is also not an English native speaker. It sounds goofy, which would not be a problem if the game itself was that way - but the game tone is that of a horror, or it at least presents itself very seriously.
It reminds me of those whimsical, borderline nonsense JRPG game names, like "Romancing SaGa Re: Universe" and many others, or something like Revengeance (but that game knew its place and tone).

Housemarque tends to give these kind of portmanteau punny names to their games (Alienation, Resogun, Nex Machina, Matterfall), which worked fine so far, but it just seems like they took it a step too far here.

Maybe the name "Returnal" will make more sense once we play the game? It could be the name of an organization within the game. It could be an experiment. People could be referred to as "Returnals" within the game's story, lore, setting, whatever. It could be slang within the game's world. Just because the name doesn't make sense to some people within today's grammar rules, it could make total sense within the game's world and story they are trying to tell.

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the trailer for this again (had only watched on my phone previously) and got serious Edge of Tomorrow vibes.

Really like how it looks though. I think it'll be a fast, tight TPS, and I would expect no less from Housemarque.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I always like what Housemaque does and really looking forward to this. Do we know if it is a launch game or not? There is no mention of that in the trailer.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Honestly the gameplay looks like classic housemarque
I can see the dodge and avoiding a hailstorm of bullets mechanic, add in their usual touch of fast paced music and this could be good.

The only issue i'm having is the artistic design, wished they hadn't gone for a more realistic looking design.
Something like apex or shaded art direction could have been better IMO
But i'll wait to see more gameplay to judge!

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
This game looks like such a massive step forward for the studio. So much will rest on the marketing though.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I can see the dodge and avoiding a hailstorm of bullets mechanic, add in their usual touch of fast paced music and this could be good.

The only issue i'm having is the artistic design, wished they hadn't gone for a more realistic looking design.

nah,i like this better

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Naaaaa, not me. Thank God they went for a photo-realistic design.

Really looking forward to exploring/experiencing these environments.

Dec 12, 2019
Bumping a old topic, but there is a new glympse of gameplay in the PS5 showcase closing sizzle. ;)

1-2 seconds of gameplay showing new enemy and first look of the UI.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It's going to be awesome. Hope for coop as I had a blast late last year playing two runs of Alienation with friends.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I really like the idea of 3rd person bullet hell. so many shooter/fps where the main character have shield/regenerating health and getting hit is inevitable. but in returnal, bullet are slow enough that you can react to them. I can just imagine someone really good playing perfect run without getting hit at all, would be cool to watch.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
This game look so cool, I love the art direction.
A lot of the footage they're showing seems to be gameplay, which definitely makes me more confident that it will actually be fun to play.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Props to the first game with a middle-aged not super-attractive female protagonist. Hope it is the first of many

Last edited:

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
That's what the launch is missing yeah. Something between Resogun and Vanquish... Give it to me!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Gah, saw this was bumped and hoped there'd be a proper update.

There must be at least one person from Housemarque on here, come on give us something new!

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Love how the poll is almost balanced, lol.

Preordered this as I think Housemarque makes great stuff. This is still coming out in 2020, right?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Thanks for the bump, do we know if you can always switch between 3rd person over the shoulder and top down? Or is it just different sections of the gameplay?

Looks amazing though and the gameplay already Reminds me of stardust and their other top downs.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Love how the poll is almost balanced, lol.

Preordered this as I think Housemarque makes great stuff. This is still coming out in 2020, right?

No, it was never announced for 2020 and no mention of it as a launch title at the showcase so most likely 2021. I think a former employee also referred to as a 2021 game in their LinkIn too or something like that

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
This game has a lot of potential. The game reminds me a lot of Vanquish and I'd say we need more bullet hell 3rd person shooters.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Screenshot-4.png

Trying to work out that gun. Looking at the yellow bar is it a case of it needs to be charged to fire full auto? Also, looking at the map are temperature and radiation going to play a factor in it?