• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
'Twister' Reboot in the Works at Universal With Joseph Kosinski Eyed to Direct
Universal Pictures is looking to reboot the classic tentpole "Twister," and looks to have found a director to weather the storm.

Sources tell Variety that Universal Pictures is developing a reboot of the 1996 blockbuster and is in negotiations with "Top Gun: Maverick" helmer Joseph Kosinski to direct.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/twister-reboot-joseph-kosinski-universal-1234648589/

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Me after realizing it's not about the party game

tenor.gif

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unless we see a cow getting its lungs ripped out of its body like what really happens when they're sucked up by a twister, no thanks.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This is the first time I have ever hated the news of a reboot movie. The original is perfect in every way. So quotable.

"Honey, this is a tissue of lies. See, there was another Bill, an evil Bill, and I killed him."

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
At least they can save on actor salaries. I wonder what Helen Hunt is doing these days.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I hope the twister is sentient somehow, and plots revenge for when they violated its grandparent in the first movie by filling it with data balls.

edit: that would be for a sequel, not a reboot

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
Can we not just have the British version and it be a mildly lenghty rainy week that every one complains about because it's in July and it's supposed to be sunny so they can spread coronavirus round the local beer garden?

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Just kind of silly. That movie was dope though in the theaters at the time of its release. Loud and terrifying.

But there's a gem in that movie, namely the whole drama with Aunt Meg where the town got flattened with no warning. That doesn't happen in the modern era, because scientists and technocrats beat it.

The best tornado-related story in the US is the fifty year project to provide adequate advisory and immediate warnings in advance of tornadoes. The death toll from these events has fallen dramatically since the 70s even as populations have risen in vulnerable sun belt urban areas. It's because of really boring stuff like severe weather briefings to local news outlets and first responders, better radar imaging, and clearer communications to citizens well in advance of the storms.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be a reboot with a twist!

I do miss these 90s/early 00s disaster movies. They're kinda hokey but enjoyable. I'm doubtful they'll be able to capture that; it'll probably be awful but I don't mind them trying when I can just ignore it if it's bad.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
While we're talking disaster movies, I've always wanted an adaptation of Isaac's Storm (or anything that takes place during the 1900 Galveston Hurricane).

Normally they reboot because of nostalgia ... no one cares about Twister.

Twister is a great summer movie with a surprisingly fun cast. Watched it a lot as a kid. I saw it at a drive in a few years ago and it's definitely the optimal way to watch it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i assume this is solely about keeping the namesake. i dunno how you'd go about "rebooting" twister of all things

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
i assume this is solely about keeping the namesake. i dunno how you'd go about "rebooting" twister of all things

William Reeves (Tom Holland) is a young man who doesn't know where he's going in life. He lives in a little Midwestern town with his parents (Jami Gertz and Bill Pullman), with no prospects or dreams. One day he finds a photograph in his mother's files and discovers that the man he knows as his father, isn't his biological one. After a heated discussion with his parents, he does some investigating on the internet to find that his father is dead, but he also finds that he did a lot of research in the field of meteorology. He finds an address and catches a bus to Wakita, Oklahoma. There he finds a quaint little farm owned by an elderly woman named Meg (Lois Smith) and her niece and caretaker Jo (Helen Hunt).

Jo can't believe how much Will reminds her of Bill, but she made a promise that if he ever came snooping around that she would scare him away. She calls his parents, but Will runs off and hides in the barn, where he discovers a beat up yellow Jeep Pick-Up (repaired by the insurance company). In the bed, a rusty metallic container labeled "Dorothy." Following some clues he picks up around the house, Will tracks down another former stormchaser, Rabbit (Alan Ruck). Rabbit has fallen on hard times and turned into something of a wild man. He's more like Dusty than Rabbit. He tells Will all about his dad, "The Extreme," and Will urges him to take him stormchasing. Eventually Jo catches up with both of them, and after much convincing, they decide to take Will on his first stormchase.

When the team arrives at the site of the tornado, they're intercepted by a different team, and it's led by... JONAS MILLER (Cary Elwes). Jo is confused by this, because she saw him die years ago. Confronting him, he doesn't have any answers, and instead remains coy. After an intense stormchase, Jo and Rabbit's passion for chasing is reignited and they decide to get the rest of the team back together. They even upgrade their sensor technology in a new payload now named "Dusty" instead of Dorothy.

Every time they encounter a new tornado, they run into Jonas, and finally Jo demands answers. With a smirk and cutting glance, Jonas glides backwards and turns into a roaring vortex! It turns out that back in 1996, the explosion fused Jonas's DNA with tornado molecules, and now Jonas IS the twister! It's up to Jo, Rabbit, Will, and the team to stop the son of a bitch once and for all before he destroys all of Oklahoma.