• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
On one hand I'm a huge Monkey Island fan, on the other hand I was never a fan of the 'Sequel to Monkey Island 1 and 2 that ignores all the games that come after it' idea, which judging by the announcement blurb, this game is. Curse of Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island are both great with really good stories (Tales especially), Escape from Monkey Island is... certainly not up to their level but still fun.

Weird to ignore all that in favor of continuing a Star Wars rip-off twist.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Wasn't the original idea after Monkey Island 2 for the whole thing to just be a kid's dream? That's what I remember reading up at the time, though maybe I misinterpreted facts.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
On one hand I'm a huge Monkey Island fan, on the other hand I was never a fan of the 'Sequel to Monkey Island 1 and 2 that ignores all the games that come after it' idea, which judging by the announcement blurb, this game is. Curse of Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island are both great with really good stories (Tales especially), Escape from Monkey Island is... certainly not up to their level but still fun.

Curse doesn't go out of canon. (Murray is in the reveal trailer!)

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Curse doesn't go out of canon. (Murray is in the reveal trailer!)

It could be a different interpretation of the character though! The "follow-up to Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge" is weirdly specific, considering how Ron Gilbert for a long time would say that if he'd to make a next Monkey Island, everything that came after 2 wouldn't exist in his version (but also that it wouldn't mean that he wouldn't borrow something from them). Don't know how valid this is now, as it was his statements from like 2010-2015ish.

Oct 25, 2017
It could be a different interpretation of the character though! The "follow-up to Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge" is weirdly specific, considering how Ron Gilbert for a long time would say that if he'd to make a next Monkey Island, everything that came after 2 wouldn't exist in his version (but also that it wouldn't mean that he wouldn't borrow something from them). Don't know how valid this is now, as it was his statements from like 2010-2015ish.

He tweeted that Curse is canon.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

He updated that article.

grumpygamer.com

If I Made Another Monkey Island

Ron Gilbert's often incoherent and bitter ramblings about the Game Industry

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
He tweeted that Curse is canon.

Ah. I literally stopped visiting Twitter for several months now so don't check up on that stuff. What about other games? Cause my argument still applies if they're not, and as Tales of Monkey Island is my #1 Monkey Island story that's still a shame for me :p Absolutely love what Telltale did to the narrative and characters.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
On a semi-related half off-topic note, back in 2009, I didn't even work in the industry back then (was just a wee 18-year old lad), I made a fan-trailer for Tales of Monkey Island and on Telltale forums their community manager approached me to ask permission to use it as a basis for their official season trailer that would be released together with the final episode.

Here is my fan-trailer (it's on a dead channel I haven't posted on for over a decade, so hopefully doesn't count as promotion):

And here is their official trailer that was based on mine:

In retrospective it is sort of shitty that I was referenced in relation to that trailer only on the official forums where the community knew me but not on YT channel proper, but.... eh, I still felt pretty awesome about that :D

But hey, this means that I have a tiiiiny bit of involvement in the Monkey Island franchise as well and that's pretty neat :)

Last edited:

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
I made a fan-trailer for Tales of Monkey Island and on Telltale forums their community manager approached me to ask permission to use it as a basis for their official season trailer that would be released together with the final episode.
That was probably me!? I was also working on Tales of MI as a designer and director of some episodes at the time and loved this trailer.

Sorry that it didn't get immortalized in the YT description. That is really rude in hindsight. At the time we still thought of YouTube as a video upload site and not any sort of archive or community in and of itself, which is dumb in hindsight, but our most active and meaningful community then was still telltales own forum. (If I had the password still I'd add you, but I've been gone from telltale for a decade.)

The opening of your version is far better btw.

Last edited:

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Wasn't the original idea after Monkey Island 2 for the whole thing to just be a kid's dream? That's what I remember reading up at the time, though maybe I misinterpreted facts.
Yeah, I think that was the idea. There are hints throughout MI2:
  • Modern-looking tunnel between Phatt Island and the smaller island with the drunkard.
  • The modern-looking tunnels at the end of the game that connects directly to a room in MI1.
  • The scene in the jail with the dog is a direct reference to the real-world Pirates of the Caribbean ride.
  • You find the broken grog machine from MI1 in some kind of storage room in the tunnels at the end of MI2.
  • The people delivering the crate of snakes before act 3 looks like people who could be working at a park, and they're wearing the same uniform as the guy shooing Guybrush and LeChuck out of the tunnels at the end of the game.
  • The final carnival screen in the game is very similar to the city hub in Booty Island, and it also shows the "real" version of the Steamin' Weenie Hut on Scabb Island.
So I think this is something Ron was planning all along for MI2. I can imagine a lot of people will find it disappointing having a plot twist that basically invalidates everything, akin to the ending of Mario 2 where everything was revealed to be part of a dream. But I feel it works. I compare it to something like Calvin and Hobbes where most of the stuff happening is all part of Calvin's imagination. Considering the events and world of MI2 are pretty crazy and absurd, I feel it works.

I'm willing to bet Ron's original plan for MI3 involved spending more time in the fantasy world but with more looks at the "real world" counterparts of events and characters, maybe revealing the real-life counterpart of Elaine.

But Ron has said his current plans are different than his original plans for MI3, so we'll see what he decides to do with this title. I think I'm okay with either direction.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
That was probably me!? I was also working on Tales of MI as a designer and director of some episodes at the time and loved this trailer.

Sorry that it didn't get immortalized in the YT description. That is really rude in hindsight. At the time we still thought of YouTube as a video upload site and not any sort of archive or community in and of itself, which is dumb in hindsight, but our most active and meaningful community then was still telltales own forum. (If I had the password still I'd add you, but I've been gone from telltale for a decade.)

The opening of your version is far better btw.

I remember you! :D It very might be, though at this point I don't remember who exactly contacted me.

It's not like I hold a grudge or anything, it's just that while remembering the situation feels weird in the context of the current times. But at the time, for an 18-year old me who was only a hobby-ist modder at that point wishing to get into professional game dev that was a big event, so thank you!

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Tales of Monkey Island get significantly better after Chapter 1? I remember playing the first part and not really digging it so never bothered with the rest.

Milfanito ~

Apr 1, 2022

Is it really weird? The first two MIs (on which Ron Gilbert worked) are considered classics and the most beloved. As more games followed (Curse or Escape) fans always wondered what a Ron Gilbert sequel would have been like. It's finally happening and it's understandable that he's picking up where he left off.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Point-and-click adventure game-wise, all I've ever played are Beneath a Steel Sky, Sam & Max Hit The Road and the first two Monkey Island games.

I've now grabbed a bunch of LucasArts stuff, as well as Thimbleweed Park, but I was wondering...

What are some of the best modern/more contemporary point-and-click games that I should definitely check out?

EchosMyron

Jun 29, 2018
First interview with Ron Gilbert & Dave Grossman on Return To Monkey Island via AdventureGamers.com There's also some not before seen in game screenshots:

gNi22a6.png
f5wwwfV.png
vn7HlC2.png
1Va019D.png

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Please no timed puzzles or awkward verb menu. I hated timed stuff in MI1 & 2.

raviolico

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...at first i also wasn´t to hot with the new style but now i dig the art. It´s kinda fresh, bold and unique.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems we got confirmatiom earl boen is not coming out of retirement to do lechuck one last time. A shame, but understandable, and im sure they will find someone else that will do a great job.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
That was a great interview with lots of interesting tidbits about the game, thanks for posting!
So the this game WILL be set right after Monkey Island 2's ending. It starts at the amusement park.
They are very non specific if it's set between Monkey 2 and Curse though, but they do state that none of the Monkey Island games will be retconned out of canon, except for maybe some small details here and there. But like they said, the other games kinda did that sometimes too, like Escape with Toothroot.

Not sure what I think about the art style, but at least that judge guy has a bit of character too him. It does seem a bit angular and stiff though, but I remember having to get used to Curse's artstyle at first too so hopefully when I play the game it all works.
I really hope they retcon that Toothroot thing from Escape though, that's basically the worst thing in any of the Monkey Island games to me.
As for replacing Earl Boen, just get the guy from Tales, he was good.

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm excited for this to be shown in motion. One of the coolest things about Thimbleweed Park was how many layers the backgrounds had when the camera would pan around.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I hadn't even considered that this was a fully-remote game. Wow, good on them!

Grossman: It's almost like not a day has passed. Except, 30 years has.

I was actually very impressed, I would say, rather than surprised — maybe a little surprised — at how smoothly, relatively speaking, it's gone, building this whole thing for two years with nobody being in an office together. It's kind of a triumph of remote communication to get that to work. And also keeping it a secret that entire time. I can't believe we pulled that off.

So it's an all-remote team putting this together?

Grossman: That's right.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I think the art is gorgeous but I really need to see it in action as the intentionally warped dimensions are doing a number on my eyes in parts, trying to see them fully (like the key maker's shop one for example).

raviolico

Oct 27, 2017
I think the art is gorgeous but I really need to see it in action as the intentionally warped dimensions are doing a number on my eyes in parts, trying to see them fully (like the key maker's shop one for example).

Just playing through Knights & Bikes. Same Art Director (Rex Crowle, also know for Tearaway), same vibe. His art really comes to life WITH motion, so i expect the same for RtMI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgweNm_A9gA&t=5s

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman the only writers on this? I ask because, as good as they are, I wouldn't mind some involvement from the writers of the later Tales of Monkey Island episodes. Some great stuff there.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Are Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman the only writers on this? I ask because, as good as they are, I wouldn't mind some involvement from the writers of the later Tales of Monkey Island episodes. Some great stuff there.

Pretty sure it's Ron and Dave. Not even sure if Tim's back, even in any small way.

raviolico

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but that artstyle, I just can't, just nothing about it is appealing to me.
Thankfully the art of Return to Monkey Island seems to not be THAT abstract and squished.

it´s polarizing for sure. But i prefer a fresh take a hundreds times over NostalgicaPixelsTM. Especially for a NEW Monkey Island.

Sora78

Jun 3, 2018
Return to Monkey Island and Kingdom Hearts IV in the same week last week...
It's a miracle, I'm so happy !

ket

Jul 27, 2018
We'll probably get a release date in the summer's Devolver showcase. I hope it's a summer launch but it'll likely be in September.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic interview and the screenshots look great. I'm just so happy to be getting another MI game.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Another new interview here:

adventuregamers.com

Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman – Return to Monkey Island | Adventure Gamers

Hot on the heels of the biggest adventure game announcement in years, we chat with the legendary men behind the monkeys in search of their secrets – including the first in-game images! |

On owning the IP...

Ron, for a long time you've said that you wouldn't make another Monkey Island game unless you owned the IP. And you're in a situation now where you're making the game, but Lucasfilm owns it, and Lucasfilm is owned by Disney. So can you tell us how Return to Monkey Island came to be, and how your thinking has changed around that?

Ron:
Well, I bought Disney, that's how this all happened. [laughter] Yeah, I said I wouldn't do it unless I owned it, and I certainly kind of poked around Disney trying to figure out whether there was any interest in that. What was very obvious was that they really liked Monkey Island, that Monkey Island meant a lot to the people at least in the Lucasfilm group of Disney. And that was just never going to happen. It's not like Disney needs the money, and I could slip them some money, and yay, they can make their quarter or something. It's just not a reasonable possibility for me to do. And I think the more important thing, rather than owning it, was that I really wanted to have creative freedom. I didn't want to be making a game and having somebody tell me what I should make. It's not a work-for-hire gig. So that was probably more important than actually owning it, was being able to make the game we wanted to make.

Oct 29, 2017
The more I've thought about it, is this the first time an original series creator has come back to make their own take on their work after other people made their own games in the series? Or at least with this length?

I've been trying to think of other examples. I know the Space Quest guys were making a "space quest like", but that never came to fruition, Al Lowe came back to LSL, but mostly as a remake of the first. Ken and Roberta Williams are back... remaking the game that *inspired* them, not one of their own games.

It will be interesting to see what the team thinks a "Monkey Island Game" is, especially in 2022, and even that new interview hints at that. There's been plenty of "the old point and click gods" coming back to make their own revival point and clicks (and say what you will of Broken Age, Moebius: Empire Rising, Thimbleweed Park. All are interesting in their own ways), but I think this is the first time a creator has come back to a long "dormant" genre and series

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
That is a really great interview yeah. Artsyle isn't clicking for me, but I respect Ron and Dave's decisions to try something new and I believe them.